Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

This is why I don't open the front door for anybody but my wife.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

EBB posted:

This is why I don't open the front door for anybody but my wife.

The front door was unlocked. She walked in, saw a black guy sitting on the couch eating ice cream, smoked him, and then called her partner(who she was about to go gently caress(he's also married)) asking what to do.

At no time did she ever render aid. Dude bled out on his own loving couch.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The front door was unlocked. She walked in, saw a black guy sitting on the couch eating ice cream, smoked him, and then called her partner(who she was about to go gently caress(he's also married)) asking what to do.

Goddamnit, I'm not going to stand for this kind of lovely posting.

You don't double up on parentheses. If you have a parenthetical within your parenthetical, you use brackets.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
I refuse to go back

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

If it would be a triple parenthical do we use number signs or parenthesis again inside the bracket?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

If it would be a triple parenthical do we use number signs or parenthesis again inside the bracket?

A triple parenthetical is an anti-semitic dogwhistle and will get you banned.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I am suddenly fascinated by a rabbithole i didnt even know existed but suddentl find myself teetering on the edge of. Quad parentheticals? Pentas? DECAS?!

Im assuming the quad call for illuminati and the pentas are to bring in the ancient aliens people. Does a deca start the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

I am suddenly fascinated by a rabbithole i didnt even know existed but suddentl find myself teetering on the edge of. Quad parentheticals? Pentas? DECAS?!

Im assuming the quad call for illuminati and the pentas are to bring in the ancient aliens people. Does a deca start the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny?

Honestly, I can only imagine that any of the style guides would say that if you're using triple parentheticals (or more) in one sentence, your sentence structure is hosed up beyond belief.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Im just imagining the hilariously indepth technical explanation of some insanely complex piece of machinery and by the time you get 10 levels deep its been pushed to the level of (thing make go)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Isnt stacking a whole pile of parentheses an indicator of mental illness?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Stravag posted:

Im just imagining the hilariously indepth technical explanation of some insanely complex piece of machinery and by the time you get 10 levels deep its been pushed to the level of (thing make go)

Oh, technical writing is its own strange creature.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No i think you're.....
.......thinking of periods

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

It's also why I wish my wife would consistently lock the door at night. :smith:

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Yes, but he also wrote Consider the Lobster, so I think it's a wash.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
i honestly cant believe it

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1179059309847691267

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

That's good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

It's good to see someone held accountable for once.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Wait she was in a castle where murder is okay though???

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I still don't believe she'll see honest punishment but then again I didn't think she'd be found guilty, so hopefully I'm wrong twice and she rots in a cell!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Professor Bling posted:

I still don't believe she'll see honest punishment but then again I didn't think she'd be found guilty, so hopefully I'm wrong twice and she rots in a cell!

They did not mention the degree, so I'm assuming that gets determined later. First degree murder has a sentence range of 5-99 years. Capital murder has life sentence to death penalty. It is possible for the state to pursue capital murder because one of the predicates is committing a murder in the process of a burglary. Based upon my non-texas lawyer reading of the burglary statute, she did indeed commit a capital murder.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Yeah im waiting to believe it until shes actually in jail

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
time served, 90 hours of community service, reinstatement into Dallas PD with back pay.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Let's look at the positive. We're finally starting to see juries convict cops for crimes they've committed.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I really hope they covered their bases and had a bunch of white people on the jury so it doesnt get overturned because of racial bias or some other contrived horeshit

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Nice! posted:

They did not mention the degree, so I'm assuming that gets determined later. First degree murder has a sentence range of 5-99 years. Capital murder has life sentence to death penalty. It is possible for the state to pursue capital murder because one of the predicates is committing a murder in the process of a burglary. Based upon my non-texas lawyer reading of the burglary statute, she did indeed commit a capital murder.

I'll be nice and just say that I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the result I truly want from sentencing, then.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Stravag posted:

I really hope they covered their bases and had a bunch of white people on the jury so it doesnt get overturned because of racial bias or some other contrived horeshit

One analysis of the judge instructing them to consider the Castle Doctrine is it prevents an appeals judge from coming back and tossing the conviction because they didn't consider it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

I'll be nice and just say that I'm pretty sure everyone here knows the result I truly want from sentencing, then.

You're pro-capital punishment? I'm not. I think it is a gross holdover from a time before we understood a lot of the root causes of crime. It's expensive, pointless, and morally reprehensible. I really only support it in cases of gross treason.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chichevache posted:

You're pro-capital punishment? I'm not. I think it is a gross holdover from a time before we understood a lot of the root causes of crime. It's expensive, pointless, and morally reprehensible. I really only support it in cases of gross treason.

I'm usually not pro-capital punishment either, but I'll make an exception in this case.

I'll also accept life without the possibility of parole, however.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought Texas didn't have degrees of murder?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nevermind. I read she's being sentenced between 5-99 so it looks like she's on the hook for Murder one.

Did she intend to commit murder when she entered the apartment though?

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 1, 2019

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Nevermind. I read she's being sentenced between 5-99 so it looks like she's on the hook for Murder one.

Did she intend to commit murder when she entered the apartment though?

She probably intended to commit murder when she did absolutely nothing to help after she shot him.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

McNally posted:

She probably intended to commit murder when she did absolutely nothing to help after she shot him.

Right but if you can't demonstrate that she had that intention when she entered the apartment then you aren't going to get burglary which means you won't get capital murder.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Grem posted:

I thought Texas didn't have degrees of murder?

They don’t. I meant charged as a first degree felony or capital felony.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
I am enjoying that murder cop lady had all sorts of super boot ooh rahh kill murder death Pinterest in Facebook or whatever posts.

Really backing up every assumption I've ever had about every cop.

I'm only getting more and more comfortable grouping them all together.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
In Texas, Murder is when a defendant:
(1) intentionally or knowingly causes the death of an individual; or
(2) intends to cause serious bodily injury and commits an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual; or
(3) commits or attempts to commit a felony, other than manslaughter, and in the course of and in furtherance of the commission or attempt, or in immediate flight from the commission or attempt, he commits or attempts to commit an act clearly dangerous to human life that causes the death of an individual.

If found guilty, in the sentencing part of the trial a defendant can argue that: she caused the death under the immediate influence of sudden passion arising from an adequate cause (i.e., cause that would commonly produce a degree of anger, rage, resentment, or terror in a person of ordinary temper, sufficient to render the mind incapable of cool reflection)
If a jury finds that its more likely than not a sudden passion murder, it's punished as a 2nd Degree Felony (2-20 years). Otherwise, it's sentenced as a First Degree Felony (5-99 years)

Mr. Nice! posted:

The State has to announce its intent to pursue capital murder well in advance of trial. They didn't in this case, so it's not an available punishment.

Stravag posted:

Batson doesn't work like that, and when it does work, it's not contrived.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bird cooch posted:

:rolleyes:

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:nallears:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

bird cooch posted:

You should, since they long ago grouped everyone not wearing a badge into a group of enemies

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

You should, since they long ago grouped everyone not wearing a badge into a group of enemies

No, I didn't. I prefer most people I deal with in a law enforcement capacity to my partners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Then quit