Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

Schubalts posted:

People hack and bot in buy-to-play, subscription-required games.

True but boting and hacking in-game to make in-game currency to pay for their subscription of what 15$ Whereas that will not have application in a 1 time buy, as they would have to front the 25$ to get the account, and gain no fiscal/tangible advantages to botting/hacking. By removing ties to real-world monetary value, RMT becomes null in void less the gold farmers that will undoubtedly be in-game.

Hacking/Botting will take place, as it does in every game that has ever come out, I believe though that accepting that, and at least looking in a positive light that the developers are taking a stance and make a move towards trying to control and mitigate it. It is foolish to think that it can be stopped/solved entirely from any game. As long as they continue to take steps towards controlling and curbing it, that as a consumer is what is important to me, not having unrealistic expectations of the developer and their capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Wow still has hackers and botters, but it’s not really ever a problem for the average player. I think at this point that’s all you can reasonably expect, for almost everyone to just not really notice. Making it buy to play will probably help quite a bit with that. The initial land grab is probably gonna be where it’s the most prevalent.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

name one successful implementation of any anti-cheat period

you seem to not understand how anti-cheats work

Fauxtool specifically was the main goon posting about breaking archeage over their knee back at release. Something tells me they might.

I do think that it’s probably not going to be as bad as the original, but like, chill? We’ll see in a couple of weeks and it’s probably better to err on the side of waiting and seeing instead of being all in.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
People on the PTR are saying the cheapest houses are still 15 gilda stars so the goons worried about not being able to farm up enough for a house should reasonably be able to get a house or two. Farmhouse is still 300 so you can just save your spots with the houses before then. You just have to be online during the time the housing opens up to get the spot you want.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ironically using the right 3rd party tools you don't need to be online in game to claim a house. Or several houses.

So when [random character string] gets that land you're after, well now you know.

Report them if you like, it'll be sold/transferred/laundered to another account before anyone reads it.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 29, 2019

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
whats the point of houses? why are they limited numbers?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

succ posted:

whats the point of houses? why are they limited numbers?

Let me preface all of this by saying I'm several years out of date so there might be some drift:

Storing special high value aged larder style trade packs. These are crafted and have to be left on your land for some number of days before traded in. Value goes up over time and if you have no land, forget about it.

A place to store your bulk crafting trade packs prior to loading up that merchant ship or whatever. Hence people really like waterfront land. Also storing trade packs for turn in right near the turn in point (if possible) then waiting until the turn in price is high and beating any chump who has to make the full journey from 4 zones away.

Growing crops to make basic trade packs at a rate generally cheaper than buying the materials off the market.

Raising livestock. Not just for the material value but also as a way to grow combat pets & mounts. Which generally sell to other players for a shitload.

Increased storage space for your loot (this is actually a pretty big one everyone can relate to)

Land-flipping. Get land, sell it to some other land thirsty player for thousands profit.

Lastly (again I could be forgetting stuff) there is the vanity / prestige aspect which is not to be under-estimated since quantity is limited.

Why houses specifically? You can get more than 1, basically. In a variety of sizes. There are only 2 farms you can ever get in game. The tiny starter one and the larger medium one you create by crafting recipe that consumes the tiny starter one. Hope you found somewhere new to put it first since it's 4 times the size.

succ posted:

why are they limited numbers?

The marked off zones where you can place farms & houses are finite and not even close enough in totality to support a full server player base. Yes even including all of Auroria when unlocked.

This creates high demand, which in turn leads to massively competitive grinding in the opening hours and a strong market for 3rd party software solutions. Archeage whales put Star Citizens to shame. It was normal to see people with 10+ paid monthly accounts co-ordinated via bot networks. Over time you'd see what was clearly one person taking over entire housing zones by themselves using alts.

People will likely still do this using spare computers and VPNs if interest is high enough. It's a good way for some players to make real money from the game by selling the goods/land/etc to other players on 3rd party sites, so the motivation is quite real.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 29, 2019

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
This is from a recent interview:

quote:

Let’s talk housing! Modern-day ArcheAge has multiple advantages that weren’t available during the original release, or on initial Fresh Start servers:

The overall world size is roughly 30% larger due to the addition of new housing-focused zones, and the conversion of restricted housing zones into fully supportive residential areas.

As you said, on Unchained, we don’t sell tax certificates, and alternate character accounts both require additional purchase and are restricted. This stands in stark contrast against the Legacy F2P environment where free account alts exist unchecked. Unchained doesn’t have “full kit” houses, meaning everyone must earn their housing deeds through gameplay, and build them from scratch. The whole ordeal is much more labor intensive in a world where labor isn’t purchasable.

We disassociate the ability to claim houses with the live release. Unchained servers will unlock on October 15th, but land claiming is locked until October 19th, giving players a grace period to progress. Our last few land rushes followed this model and were quite successful.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The gently caress is a full-kit house? Did things get so bad after I stopped playing they started to sell pre-built homes ready to plop down?

I only knew a time where everything housing related (apart from tax certs) had to be ground out and crafted.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747
Wow that all seems grindy and complicated. Is it still fine if you don't manage to get a house?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

succ posted:

Wow that all seems grindy and complicated. Is it still fine if you don't manage to get a house?

Do you like mob grinding in KMMOs?

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

succ posted:

There's a family system or something so if someone adds you to their family you can use their house.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
FWIW I got a lot of enjoyment out of this game with only a basic farm plot. Admittedly, having that small bit of land helped a ton with some stuff but I would of been able to participate in what really made the game fun (goon nonsense) with or without it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i am still on the fence if im even going to play this, but given how much they expanded land and the limited ability to support multiple plots of land, im pretty sure you can get land somewhere if you are inclined to

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Also if you have a guild 90% of this poo poo is completely irrelevant.

If you want to play pretty pretty house dress up [Why wouldn't you, Fashion Souls is end game in all mmos] yeah, you probably want one of your own.

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
There are two things that make EAC a burden for hacks: First, they actively update their signature detection. Any publicly released hack will have its signature banned very quickly, so most of the market will move to private hacks, greatly reducing the number of people with access to them. Second, they ban HWIDs when you are found using a hack. That means you can never use the same computer again to login to Archeage. There used to be easy ways to emulate HWIDs, but I am not sure if those are still around so this gives a pretty strong deterrent.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
I just found some screenshots from the Goon Crew back in the days of on or around <More Money than Sense> and <Goon Squad>:

Goon Navy Ops

Fishing Pacts Crew

Goon Forester Troops

Goon Squad Auxiliarus - aka the scam guild

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012
I LOVE the old guild crest, does anyone still have that? I like the guild name, more money than sense!

The Spookmaster
Sep 9, 2002

The goon discord has been super helpful if you're new to the game fyi

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The Spookmaster posted:

The goon discord has been super helpful if you're new to the game fyi

What's the discord info?

Omarmarious posted:

I LOVE the old guild crest, does anyone still have that? I like the guild name, more money than sense!

I have an edit I made of that crest still. If nobody has the original I could try to modify it back to that state.

Also, my memory is poor but isn't MMTS the name of the pirate "goon" guild IE the one that caused all the drama?

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

the Discord invite in the OP is expired fyi

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

kloa posted:

Try this? https://discord.gg/pJKDZ4

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

kloa posted:

will update again hang tight

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

We've been talking on the discord all morning and its looking like we are going to end up going to tyrenos/west and we have a spot picked out for houses with a fallback if the first fails.

Here is a launch guide of unchained stuff.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q6epZcJ9nJMrteAAldJBc_ycNze59SRTojPb_qOBJd8/edit

Raioner fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 30, 2019

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
Hello, goons. I am considering pre-ordering the relaunch having not played the original. How is exploration in this game? If I go running around the map will I find anything interesting other than More Trees and Impassable Mountains?

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

Raioner posted:

We've been talking on the discord all morning and its looking like we are going to end up going to tyrenos/west and we have a spot picked out for houses with a fallback if the first fails.

Here is a launch guide of unchained stuff.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1q6epZcJ9nJMrteAAldJBc_ycNze59SRTojPb_qOBJd8/edit

thank you for posting! The Discord has been updated as well. In case anyone missed up to this point, here is the updated link to the SA discord being used. HERE

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

SoldadoDeTone posted:

Hello, goons. I am considering pre-ordering the relaunch having not played the original. How is exploration in this game? If I go running around the map will I find anything interesting other than More Trees and Impassable Mountains?

The latter.

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

SoldadoDeTone posted:

youtube is your friend... however, there are some GREAT hype videos like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8yxt8tGlHg&t=1372s

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I think exploration is great in this game. Particularly because you are very mobile with your glider, lots of places to go and ways to get there. If you get a boat, you can go to a bunch of different islands that have things. One of the most fun quests I remember started when I found a random NPC on an island that lead me on a long quest adventure that gave me a title. Here's a video of that quest: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_UEUVxA6Vg

There is also apparently some entirely new thing with keys and sunken treasure chests that requires a galleon and a submarine but I don't much about it yet.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well

im a dipshit and i picked this up

Omarmarious
Jan 21, 2012

eonwe posted:

well

Welcome aboard dipshit

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Omarmarious posted:

I have all the guild crests we used in the previous game:

Tempus Thales fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 1, 2019

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

Tempus Thales posted:

I have all the guild crests we used in the previous game:

Winner

Raioner
Mar 28, 2006

I might fly this and rep the old GOKU crew from PS2

Esdesu
Sep 14, 2014

I have some really fond memories of camping some guys hidden farm in the hills waiting for him to return so we could kill him then take his crop :D

eonwe posted:

well

I too have joined this club. Looking forward to playing this again after so long

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

That's the Goonrathi crest for the Star Citizen goon organization. Of course named after the Kilrathi from Wing Commander. We should use it and all make Firran characters!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Well I was lucky enough to get in after maintenance right around 6 PM PST, and was able to get to Marianople and hit 30 in a little over 4 hours playtime. I wasn’t able to generate labor, so any quests or opportunities to spend labor (such as chopping wild trees as I quested) had to be skipped, which slowed me down a bit.

You want to be chopping trees and collecting ores/stone, to eventually build your house, along the way while questing. I wouldn’t go out of my way to get a node, but there’s tons of stuff along the main story quest path to grab.

You also want to get your premium ArchePass activated ASAP for really good gold and Gilda income from the daily quests.

Also don’t feel like you have to stick to a single class from the start. Most of the top tier classes suggested in Discord are for endgame stuff, typically involving PvP - which is why most classes have Shadowplay for stealth. Feel free to pick whatever sounds fun, and will allow you to progress through the story with plenty of DPS/CC/heals. It’s pretty quick to get stealth at 50+ if you want to pick it up to PvP. Realistically, you should be switching out classes frequently anyways for your needs. If you’re gonna run dungeons for gear/XP, you’re not gonna want Shadowplay just to have stealth handy, when you could have a ton of CC skills.

succ
Nov 11, 2016

by Cyrano4747

kloa posted:

Also don’t feel like you have to stick to a single class from the start. Most of the top tier classes suggested in Discord are for endgame stuff, typically involving PvP - which is why most classes have Shadowplay for stealth. Feel free to pick whatever sounds fun, and will allow you to progress through the story with plenty of DPS/CC/heals. It’s pretty quick to get stealth at 50+ if you want to pick it up to PvP. Realistically, you should be switching out classes frequently anyways for your needs. If you’re gonna run dungeons for gear/XP, you’re not gonna want Shadowplay just to have stealth handy, when you could have a ton of CC skills.

am i able to switch my playstyle later via respec or something? im going to play beta but i have no idea what im doing.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
There's little statues all over the place with a Priest, you can respec piss easy.

Jebediah
Oct 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What's better, wow classic or archeage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Jebediah posted:

What's better, wow classic or archeage?

I think they're very different games in what their "endgame" looks like at least. I think its safe to say WoW has a much bigger PvE focus.