Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Noir89 posted:

This is me, literally no interest in Vicky 3 :v:

fool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
They aren't going to put out CK3 yet. There is no way. I don't know what its going to be but I am quite confident that they aren't that foolish.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Average Bear posted:

That actually sounds awesome lol. The least interesting part of HOI4 is the war and I don't mean that sarcastically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poyDlQHOkGc

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Great time to start marketing an American Civil War game.

Though I'm personally rooting for something Napoleonic.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Giggle Goose posted:

They aren't going to put out CK3 yet. There is no way. I don't know what its going to be but I am quite confident that they aren't that foolish.

reminder hoi was announced in 2014 and ultimately released in '16, CK2's "last DLC" was nearly a year ago now.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
The twenty of you who played Vicky will never see another in your lifetime. Accept this.

Also it’s got to be a confirmed hit from their stable of good sellers to make up for lackluster Rome 2.0, got to please those stock holders.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Fantasy Victoria 3 with magical factories.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I mean I want it to be EU5 - and it would fit with the armor and sword - but that's hardly realistic given that they're still working on the final patch for 4

My money is on CK3.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

PittTheElder posted:

I mean I want it to be EU5 - and it would fit with the armor and sword - but that's hardly realistic given that they're still working on the final patch for 4

My money is on CK3.

There are still a bunch of DLCs for EU4 planned. We won't see 5 for a while.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

PittTheElder posted:

My money is on CK3.

CK3 seems likeliest if the sword and the armor are hints, but I would like to see something a bit more fantasy too. One of the problems with the fantasy thing though is making a world that's possible to jump right into as a grand strategy; Stellaris tried to resolve that by being a 4X early on but never stuck that transition to Grand Strategy promised pre-release.

A pre-existing IP could make sense for that. I'd be interested to see what Paradox could do with the Forgotten Realms, as an example.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Bleh I didn't actually watch the twitter video. Man I hope its some fantasy thing. If they were smart they'd hold off on making CK3 for years, long enough for people to get bored of the old one and then they could approach the question with a different formula and a different engine. If they try to pull some kind of EA The Sims thing, I can't imagine how bent out of shape their fans will get. I'd be pretty disappointed.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I think they'd be really foolish to announce CK3 this year or even next year. I realise CK might have the best widespread appeal of all the Paradox games after all these years and so it makes sense as a moneymaker, but it'd be a terrible idea. Give it some time to percolate a bit more - with Holy Fury out so recently it feels too soon to wipe the slate clean unless there's some serious improvements that can be made. Even with a 1 or 2 year window between announcement and release... I feel like it's too early.

If Vicky 3 is out of the question, and assuming it's not Bismarck/Gladstone/Nicholas II/whatever...

I think there's a good case for a fantasy gsg as a counterpoint to Stellaris. I would hope in that case that they would make a "fixed" world with thought given to worldbulding/a sense of balance rather than Stellaris' procedural races.

I think a Cold War game is unlikely; maybe I just want it to be unlikely. I think it's still "too soon" and I'm not sure I trust them to take the right approach as to who the player is and how you can make interesting and complicated decisions without the prospect of large-scale wars.

I'd be keen for a cradle of civilization game, though i don't know much about the period or what the major mechanics would be. Presumably there'd have to be some way of having some cultures just completely collapse...

How about a March of the Eagles 2 that's a EU4-HoI4-Imperator hybrid, using a similar map to Imperator (i.e. abstract away some parts of the world/theatres) and with named generals with traits and loyalties. Or howabout Sengoku 2, or a Boshin War game.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I'd be up for a really detailed ww1 game. Something that covers trench warfare better than Hoi4 can. It would be more production/industry/economic focused than on actual warfare, given how mostly static it was compared to ww2. They could develop some systems for it that could be later used in a vicky 3. Kind of how Sengoku was a hyper-focused test-run for the ck2 mechanics.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Average Bear posted:

The New Order. Alt history mod of an Axis victory in WW2 where the world is just absolutely insane and getting into a nuclear war ends the game by deleting provinces one by one.

Dramicus posted:

The New Order. It's a mod for HoI4 that focuses on post-ww2 where Germany won and is in a 3-way cold war with the Free West under the USA, and Japan's Asian bloc. The mod treats direct war between the major powers as a game-over state. Most combat is supposed to be done with coups, volunteers and lendlease.

That's pretty neat!

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Dramicus posted:

I'd be up for a really detailed ww1 game. Something that covers trench warfare better than Hoi4 can. It would be more production/industry/economic focused than on actual warfare, given how mostly static it was compared to ww2. They could develop some systems for it that could be later used in a vicky 3. Kind of how Sengoku was a hyper-focused test-run for the ck2 mechanics.

I would be incredibly down for that. Maybe start in 1910 (Edward IV dies, Halley's comet is visible, start of the Mexican revolution, Portugese Revolution, allows for enough time for stuff like the Balkan wars and the Agadir crisis to shake up the status quo), run until ~1922 or thereabouts, and formalise a way of setting up war goals, secret deals/alliances, and unrest leading to full-blown mutinies and revolutions.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

WW1 was only super static in the Western front. The Eastern front was plenty mobile, with fronts shifting a hundred miles a day

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Raskolnikov38 posted:

vicky1's pop system

Average Bear posted:

Imperators pop system

:yikes:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I'm just glad that whatever the game they arw announcing, they won't be looking here for design advice.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

ah yes the vicky 1 pop system where you spent half the game giving yourself carpel tunnel by manually splitting your pops to make them more effective.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Vicky 3 will only get released if Bernie wins and class consciousness returns to America and you all know it

Yes I know theyre Nordic

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Alikchi posted:

Great time to start marketing an American Civil War game.

Though I'm personally rooting for something Napoleonic.

1776-1836 could be a really good GSG. Plus it’s got 3 obvious start dates to design around in 1776, 1789, and 1804

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
You'd be better off doing the whole 2nd Hundred Year war starting 1688 and going through to 1836.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's WWI so that Wiz can achieve his lifelong goal of creating the stupidest AI of all time in order to properly emulate the war.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Oh poo poo I've changed my mind, I don't want EU5, I want Voltaire's Nightmare: The Game, non stop Imperial shenanigans! Play as a landless Knight who is a direct vassal of the Emperor for some reason! Try and get appointed Bishop of a diosese in Syria!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

PittTheElder posted:

Oh poo poo I've changed my mind, I don't want EU5, I want Voltaire's Nightmare: The Game, non stop Imperial shenanigans! Play as a landless Knight who is a direct vassal of the Emperor for some reason! Try and get appointed Bishop of a diosese in Syria!

oh christ I want to play that so bad

how much non-contiguous land can you conquer in a lifetime? Idk but it's gonna make the poor mapmakers cry

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If we're just throwing out things we want to play, I'm rooting for my fever dream version of Stellaris that was a reskin of Crusader Kings, where having more than a few planets is really hard so there's just all sorts of weird goofball planets as you get further from the core worlds, and those same goofballs are the ones that are most likely to have diplomatic relationships with alien races.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If we're just throwing out things we want to play, I'm rooting for my fever dream version of Stellaris that was a reskin of Crusader Kings, where having more than a few planets is really hard so there's just all sorts of weird goofball planets as you get further from the core worlds, and those same goofballs are the ones that are most likely to have diplomatic relationships with alien races.

They should make a battletech gsg and when you initiate a battle it launches battletech and you fight it out there.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

CK3 would be intensely stupid to announce rn unless they had some kind of completely revolutionary idea (and actually delivered on it). This doesn't mean it's not CK3 tho, because while all the devs we know and love aren't usually intensely stupid, management and particularly shareholders ARE

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
It's going to be a late cold war game called Thatcher: An Empire on the Edge of Destruction. The fantasy element is Star Wars is viable, in order to make nuclear war winnable.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Get Paradox to make a new Brexit-themed King of Dragon Pass game

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Crazycryodude posted:

CK3 would be intensely stupid to announce rn unless they had some kind of completely revolutionary idea (and actually delivered on it). This doesn't mean it's not CK3 tho, because while all the devs we know and love aren't usually intensely stupid, management and particularly shareholders ARE

We probably have about five years top of ok games still coming out of Paradox until the publicly shared aspect of it destroys it from the inside.

Ck3 would be immensely stupid considering ck2 is basically perfect as is. The only thing left to change is insignificant details.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Narrator posted:

Get Paradox to make a new Brexit-themed King of Dragon Pass game
Any kind of Brexit-themed game really. They’ve had enough time to develop one.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Any kind of Brexit-themed game really. They’ve had enough time to develop one.

They've anticipated it it with the CK2 decadence mechanics.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
We all know it’s Vicky 4. They just decided to skip 3 because of all the expectations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Star posted:

We all know it’s Vicky 4. They just decided to skip 3 because of all the expectations.

The old Leisure Suit Larry approach.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Johann marches out dressed like Ursula Le Guin and announces Warlords of Earthsea, "the game that Le Guin would have made if she were a gamer instead of a pacifist".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

OddObserver posted:

They've anticipated it it with the CK2 decadence mechanics.
EU4: Spirits of the nations
CK2: Dynasties
Gammons: Football firms

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
drat. Now i want a CK2 After the End Brexit mod set after British society collapses and the isles are cut off from the rest of the world (2021)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Battletech: House Lords.

It's not, but one can dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

PittTheElder posted:

Detailed maps of HRE make me physically ill, but I want this game to exist.