Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Micro Center's shipping them at the moment, they're not just in-store only.

That being said, one knock against the Inland drive is that it only has a three year warranty vs. five for a lot of other drives of similar performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
HP was being a dick about support on the EX920, too. Dunno if it's still the case with the 950.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ChiralCondensate posted:

HP was being a dick about support on the EX920, too. Dunno if it's still the case with the 950.

Yeah the thing you have to know about those is you go to a different company for support if you buy them retail. Because they aren't actually made by HP, they're made by a company that did a deal with HP to sell then with HP's brand. But people who threw away the warranty paper don't know that.

(But if they come with your HP PC then actual HP does do the replacement, same as with any other individual bits on an OEM pc. But that further muddies the water for google searches. AFAIK once you go to the right place for support it's fine.)

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
What's the current hotness for a dedicated Linux boot drive? Only need 128-256GB, already have a WD black as the windows boot and a 1TB sabrent (?) Rocket as the dedicated games drive. Would like to keep it nvme just to be completely sata free. Thinking WD blue, but is there something meaningfully better?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ilkhan posted:

What's the current hotness for a dedicated Linux boot drive? Only need 128-256GB, already have a WD black as the windows boot and a 1TB sabrent (?) Rocket as the dedicated games drive. Would like to keep it nvme just to be completely sata free. Thinking WD blue, but is there something meaningfully better?

WB Blue is a sata drive in the M.2 form factor. Do you actually care about nvme vs sata, or are you just looking for a thing that doesn't have wires?

For a tiny 128-256 GB drive, I might think about poking around s-mart and buying one used from someone, particularly if they can tell you how hard it's been used (total TB written). Buying new at that size is kinda pointless because they're basically the same price as a 500GB.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

priznat posted:

Tower o Gen4 NVMe SSDs

(Yea cable -> slot -> aic -> m.2 perhaps not the efficient :haw:)

Also these phison E16 controllers kinda suck, speed wise. The E18 should be better.

I've shared this with my father in law and
pci engineer for [major silicon here], apparently u are under arrest

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

ilkhan posted:

Adata XPG SX8200 Pro
HP EX920

The WD Blue is a very low-end design that doesn't have DRAM, so only buy it if you can get it for cheap.

Klyith posted:

WB Blue is a sata drive in the M.2 form factor. Do you actually care about nvme vs sata, or are you just looking for a thing that doesn't have wires?

For a tiny 128-256 GB drive, I might think about poking around s-mart and buying one used from someone, particularly if they can tell you how hard it's been used (total TB written). Buying new at that size is kinda pointless because they're basically the same price as a 500GB.

The current version is NVMe based.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Potato Salad posted:

I've shared this with my father in law and
pci engineer for [major silicon here], apparently u are under arrest

Well, same here, and why?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

priznat posted:

Well, same here, and why?

I assumed that most hardware labs look like Frankenstein monstrosities

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

I assumed that most hardware labs look like Frankenstein monstrosities

Yeah they definitely do.. our validation platform PCIe card is monstrous and barely fits in most systems and has a ton of oculink cables hanging off it. But it has to be with all the clocking and peripheral options we have to cover in testing. Production systems will just distinct configurations but we have to cover them allll so it gets ugly. But all the high speed links are painstakingly length matched and the board is fabbed out of high end materials to ensure the signal quality is as good as it can be.

Interestingly I’ve found even hooking the Gen4 drives up to 1m cables is usually fine with no link recoveries but we usually use 0.5m just to be on the safe side.. Good quality well designed boards with nice cables will forgive a lot!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Let's talk about all the cool stuff you have to build with cardboard boxes and nylon standoffs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Let's talk about all the cool stuff you have to build with cardboard boxes and nylon standoffs

No to either of those, ISO audits and all that. Aluminum standoffs instead which are their own fun. Also at least once a month I catch a jr engineer wandering around outside the lab with a pcb not in an anti static bag. Jfc

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009
So, PLC seems to be gaining steam. I thought we'd hit the point of diminishing returns on quantization levels, but smarter minds than mine disagree. Time to get ahead of the curve and trademark HLC.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DLC when

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

It's a good thing that your Ryzen 10 CPU will have 128 cores to support the differentiation of your DLC's 1024 levels. I'll bet on 4D NAND. Let's store those bits in hyperspace. If it's good enough for the Culture, it's good enough for you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

As if QLC wasn't slow enough. Gotta stay competitive with SMR hard drives!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

As if QLC wasn't slow enough. Gotta stay competitive with SMR hard drives!

Honestly, if PLC leads to some 32TB consumer level drives I'm fine with that

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Chikimiki posted:

Would if I could, but it's in the M2 slot of the motherboard (Asus Z170 mini-ITX). I'll admit that there is some pressure on the SSD when I put in the mounitng screw, but otherwise it would stick out at an angle :v:
While there's no cable, you could still try cleaning up/re-seating the contacts: Q-tip and isopropyl on the SSD contacts, and maybe a duster can on the board socket just in case there is some intermittent connection issue, exacerbated by heating/thermal expansion.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

Honestly, if PLC leads to some 32TB consumer level drives I'm fine with that

This isn't going to happen. It's only 25% more dense than QLC, while being 1/3 the write speed if the TLC->QLC experience is anything to go by.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
where is 3d xpoint to save us all?!

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Peanut3141 posted:

This isn't going to happen. It's only 25% more dense than QLC, while being 1/3 the write speed if the TLC->QLC experience is anything to go by.

Yeah each extra bit leads to a smaller gain proportionally but the headaches only increase. Keep adding extra bits and eventually the write speeds won't compete with hard disks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

can't wait til 8 bits and QQLC

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Peanut3141 posted:

32TB was more hyperbole on my part but SSDs that huge capacity drives that rival spinning drives already exist but are in the enterprise line of drives. I think a lot of people will be fine with rotational drive performance in cold, cold storage cases if the cost/density is compelling

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

32TB was more hyperbole on my part but SSDs that huge capacity drives that rival spinning drives already exist but are in the enterprise line of drives. I think a lot of people will be fine with rotational drive performance in cold, cold storage cases if the cost/density is compelling

SSDs with 32+ levels per cell is not a good option for cold storage. The cells will lose their charge over time and this will happen far more quickly than HDDs, tape or optical media degrade. This AnandTech article is a bit dated, but 3-12 months was the nominal deterioration time for unpowered NAND when we were living in an MLC/TLC world. QLC/PLC will not fare as well.

SSDs excel at random read and write, which QLC/PLC compromise for a small gain in density. The use case is baffling.

Peanut3141 fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 1, 2019

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

32TB was more hyperbole on my part but SSDs that huge capacity drives that rival spinning drives already exist but are in the enterprise line of drives.
Enterprise is just fine with spinning disk level linear performance and ssd level random performance. Just keep stacking them wider until you get your required linear performance.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Peanut3141 posted:

SSDs with 32+ levels per cell is not a good option for cold storage. The cells will lose their charge over time and this will happen far more quickly than HDDs, tape or optical media degrade. [timg]This AnandTech article[/timg] is a bit dated, but 3-12 months was the nominal deterioration time for unpowered NAND when we were living in an MLC/TLC world. QLC/PLC will not fare as well.

SSDs excel at random read and write, which QLC/PLC compromise for a small gain in density. The use case is baffling.

Cold tier storage as in data that is not accessed frequently and latency is ok, not stuff meant for actually storing offline

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 1, 2019

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

ilkhan posted:

Enterprise is just fine with spinning disk level linear performance and ssd level random performance. Just keep stacking them wider until you get your required linear performance.

I'm not saying it's for improving cold tier storage performance, just that customers are already expecting a certain level of performance at this tier so if you can get compelling capacity/cost (and acceptable endurance) then you'll have customers. Not every SSD has to have amazing SLC performance to have a customer, that stuff is for your hot tier

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Peanut3141 posted:

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Yeah each extra bit leads to a smaller gain proportionally but the headaches only increase. Keep adding extra bits and eventually the write speeds won't compete with hard disks.

WhyteRyce posted:

The raw QLC flash performance of the 660p is IIRC in the ~80 MB/s range for sequential transfers, which is already like only 1/2-1/3 the rate of a good, modern HDD. Even if PLC drives yield affordable, higher capacities, and retain better non-sequential performance than HDDs, the sequential performance will make those higher capacities largely non-viable. I mean sure, we'd all love to have cheap 4+ TB SSDs, but not if they can only be filled at ~USB2 speeds. :yikes:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You guys do know that QLC exists in Intel drives other than the cheap client stuff. And that these dense enterprise drives are specifically targeted at HDD replacement and storage consolidation scenarios in enterprise environments. PLC is probably going to be targeted at these same areas

Not everything has to be targeted as a flag ship performance product. Even as a home user I'd love a big giant slow SSD for my non performance critical stuff if the price and capacity was compelling vs those schucked WDs I'm using

QLC/PLC has significant trade-offs but it's not targeted at every situation

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Oct 2, 2019

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Yeah but the raw QLC NAND performance is still mediocre, to say nothing of PLC. Plus, have you seen the price of the D5-P4x20? 8 TB for well over $1k isn't what I'd consider a compelling price.

I'm not even complaining about QLC, though; I consider the 660p in particular to be a solid option for 2 TB. I'm just not looking forward to PLC unless they work some magic with a ton of pseudoSLC, DRAM, etc., and get the price down to well below $90/TB.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Atomizer posted:

Yeah but the raw QLC NAND performance is still mediocre, to say nothing of PLC. Plus, have you seen the price of the D5-P4x20? 8 TB for well over $1k isn't what I'd consider a compelling price.

Enterprise drives cost more than consumer drives so not a 1:1 comparison to consumer costs and you're paying for more than just the raw NAND. If you want to try and compare within the same product family, I think the QLC varients were roughly $500~$600 less than their TLC equivalent 8TB drives

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Right, but now we're going back and forth between consumer and enterprise drives and you were the one who brought up the latter.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Price no object whats the top performing m.2 for a laptop drive out right now?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sitting around here waiting for a 1TB to hit slickdeals...

thiazi
Sep 27, 2002

ilkhan posted:

Price no object whats the top performing m.2 for a laptop drive out right now?

NVME or SATA?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

thiazi posted:

NVME or SATA?
NVME. Surface Laptop 3 replacement drive.

Mostly thinking about loud.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ilkhan posted:

NVME. Surface Laptop 3 replacement drive.

Mostly thinking about loud.

Fastest would be a 970 Pro, among generally available retail M.2 drives.

Putting one in a surface would be dumb as heck but that's the answer to your question.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I finished organizing a bunch of crap that was just thrown into one big folder on my backup HDD, and decided to check if it needed defragmenting especially since I couldn't remember the last time I did it. Come to find out, Windows had that drive AND my main SSD on a weekly defragmentation schedule for I don't know how long! From what I've read, deframenting SSDs used to be really bad for them but now it doesn't really affect them like it used to? Should I leave it on or turn it off? I have a Samsung Evo 850 250GB that has anywhere from 50 to 100GB free 99% of the time.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

owl_pellet posted:

I finished organizing a bunch of crap that was just thrown into one big folder on my backup HDD, and decided to check if it needed defragmenting especially since I couldn't remember the last time I did it. Come to find out, Windows had that drive AND my main SSD on a weekly defragmentation schedule for I don't know how long! From what I've read, deframenting SSDs used to be really bad for them but now it doesn't really affect them like it used to? Should I leave it on or turn it off? I have a Samsung Evo 850 250GB that has anywhere from 50 to 100GB free 99% of the time.

Windows 8 & 10 just do a trim command when told to defragment a SSD.

So they put SSDs on the defrag schedule and you can even manually push the defrag command and it's zero problem. An SSD with sufficient free space probably doesn't need a trim every week, but it doesn't hurt and the regular trims keep full SSDs running fast.

If you're using Windows 7 you may have a problem and I believe should disable defrag on your SSD. So that's why the conflicting information -- it's still a bad idea to actually defragment a SSD, in Win7 or with some third-party defrag tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

With Windows 7 you run the Windows Experience Index and it will detect your SSD and turn off background defragging.