Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Red_Fred posted:

A real darkness behind the eye?

I would love to be able to give Keeper of the feral hogs out. Does anyone really bother with minor titles anyway?

Mostly just to get that little extra opinion bonus to get across the line for council voting, or if I'm role-playing as a particularly gracious or nepotistic ruler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

went from count of campulung to king of Wallachia in 130 years,...went from the Ironic Century to the High Middle Ages, probably my hardest count to king run yet. not sure if I want to go to emperor or where to expand after I can get independence from the Bulgarian Tzar...he really shouldn’t count as a full Emperor imo, or if Byzantium gave him that title they can take it away. ere is probably too strong, wish there was some way to make it break up.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Might be neat to have a royal pig farmer though.

Their function is to be depressed at being the only pig farmer to not be compensated by their monarch.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
By Allah, will you shut up about your pigs?!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
So it's been a few years since I've done any CK2 mods and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about what's good nowadays. CK2+ seems like it's being rewritten so that's out. HIP still pretty decent? Or any of the other bigger overhauls?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why are they rewriting CK2+?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Randaconda posted:

:shrug: Just noticed the announcement here when looking through what mods are still about.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Might be ironic.

Like how anyone called Tiny is probably huge.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The Narrator posted:

By Allah, will you shut up about your pigs?!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I was poking around with 1066 starts and noticed that there's an unlanded English prince that's open to a matrilineal marriage. I discovered him as the Duchess of Tuscany, who didn't seem like she had the manpower to jump into the England Sweepstakes unless she quickly became Empress. Is it possible to instead convince the current Emperor to press my husband's claim. Alternatively, are there any other woman rulers that are better positioned to join the big claim war?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Randaconda posted:

Like the forum post says: technical debt, basically. There's a lot of legacy code in Plus (dating back to the LAST major rewrite which was like 4 or 5 years ago) and they think it's frustrating their attempts to fix the bugs and bring the HF update out of "beta". Honestly I think the most recent beta before the rewrite attempt is pretty playable, but I've been playing way less CK2 than I used to so maybe I just haven't seen the bugs in question.

Earlier this year, there was another dev transition and the lead at the time quit in order to focus on their real job. A previous lead officially took over but, practically, most of the work is (or was - I haven't contributed to Plus in several months and have effectively quit myself, for a few reasons) being done by someone new who joined around that time - a rewrite is certainly in line with their vision as well, though honestly I don't think it will be much help if it even ever concludes.

As for HIP, honestly there are a lot fewer differences between the two big mods than there used to be (they share some mechanics and systems, especially since a couple of main coders have worked on both CK2+ and EMF, HIP's primary mechanics module), so it's probably worth a try. I haven't switched myself, I'm still running the most recent pre-rewrite beta of Plus with my personal changes. Hopefully Paradox keeps up their current maintenance-mode-esque approach to the game!

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone really bother with minor titles anyway?

They have an actual use (besides a little opinion) if you're playing the Byzantines these days. There's now a metric fuckton of minor byz titles and they have an impact on voting power and such when it comes to the elections.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-is-the-administrator-trait-so-hard-to-get.1158687/#post-25242288

Some guy did the math on why rulership is such a bad focus. It takes 86 years of just rulership focus to get the administrator trait event. You're more likely to die of the yearly stressed and depressed events it gives you before that.

I love CK2 but we need to talk about the Old Paradox design in it. Way of life is a great concept but you'll run through the entire content of it in one ruler. One event chain for scholarship. Business? One or two events, one that can only fire once in a lifetime. Hunting? It's just hiding a 1.0 feature behind a focus. Oh, and you can't hunt if you're stressed, depressed, or dickless because they're "health traits". The rewards are poo poo too. Like 5 prestige, maybe a chance or get 1 martial or die. And the biggest reward for finding the white stag is what, 100 piety or prestige? C'mon.

Just put some flavor in these events. CK2 is a game that thrives on flavor and color to the world. And make a ton of events for each focus. Any modder can poo poo out a couple hundred events in a day, paradox can too if they want to charge.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hunting is a cool focus imo because it gives martial as well as health and also you can get a cool dog friend which grants even more health. Also I'm pretty sure rulership can let you add holding slots to places sometimes.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
My point is they should be switches for certain flavor events. Like getting to hold court during rulership, doing more than one deal in business, maybe interacting with other characters with the focuses. Right now it's just once you know the events you just take the focuses to powergame.

Wanna be a medieval scientist with this king? Too bad, you get to build an observatory and go through the same event chain once again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Largely it's busywork to give you something to do when there's not a war on instead of reliable ways to give your character some better stats, but yeah, there needs to be more events. I'm pretty sure there's a shitload of events that have over time been rendered inert by later updates. The stat inflation that later updates have done doesn't help either.

Societies in Monks & Mystics were sort of Way of Life 2.0, but with even more niche events and questlines. At least their stat rewards are more buffed.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Yeah I would be more or less fine if feature updates weren't a thing and the maintenance mode updates were just more events to flesh our focuses and societies.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Honky Dong Country posted:

Hunting is a cool focus imo because it gives martial as well as health and also you can get a cool dog friend which grants even more health. Also I'm pretty sure rulership can let you add holding slots to places sometimes.

Hunting should be renamed dog-having as the dog is really the thing you want it for.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Hunting should be renamed dog-having as the dog is really the thing you want it for.

he a good boy

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's also good for the quick, attractive "of the Wilds" characters you get to take back to court with you occasionally.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

It's also good for the quick, attractive "of the Wilds" characters you get to take back to court with you occasionally.

And trying potions from the local witch.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Crow Jane posted:

...don't gently caress the woods babe.

She has syphilis. She always has syphilis.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Eh, gotta die of something :shrug:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Really? I don't think I've ever encountered that, personally. Not many of my characters have ever caught syphilis...and those who have caught it always seem to somehow get it at around age 13, before I take over as them

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

alternatively, always screw the woods woman, get syphilis, maybe become a lunatic, then go cannibal through epidemic seclusion and eat the gently caress out of every prisoner forever :unsmigghh:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Make the woods babe your concubine if that's a thing you can do. Even if she gives you the clap, you might get an heir with good traits out of her, and she can make a pretty good court tutor and/or council member, depending on your tech. Plus hey, you can always have your physician throw some bees at you or cut your hand off to cure your junk.

Got the Alexander bloodline event over the weekend. Holy poo poo, that's op as hell for a decently sized realm. Which is probably why I got it with only fifty years left to go in the game :negative:

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I started a new game in 769, and tweaked some settings so as to not have Holy Wars matter for religion authority on the grounds that AI Holy Wars are dumb. As of 900AD the Umayyids have eaten the Middle East, Spain, and half of France after France broke to pieces with Gavelkind and Europe in general is getting geeked by Vikings. Temple looting and Lombardy's goddamn antipope has Catholic MA at literally zero and I'm faffing about trying to unite England and Ireland again and getting nowhere fast. I'm starting to learn just how much I lucked out with marriages in my first game and now I'm, well, not. Upside, I now know about Merchant Republics and I'm rolling in cash in a way I wasn't last game at this size.

It's still gonna be a big hole to dig catholicism out of, especially if I finish with England and look out upon a giant Umayyid blob covering everything west of the Rhine.

:shepicide:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Major Isoor posted:

Really? I don't think I've ever encountered that, personally. Not many of my characters have ever caught syphilis...and those who have caught it always seem to somehow get it at around age 13, before I take over as them

Yeah every time I've boinked the woods babe I've gotten the syph almost immediately. Because I tend to play Vikings and have a pile of concubines in a court where everybody is loving everybody else pretty much all the time it just kind of spreads from there.

Woods babes, not even once.

First time I saw the event I thought "wow, poo poo this is probably a trap." I mean she's 21, has two genetic traits, and invites you in for no strings attached bonking. What else would she be other than a trap? Of course I smashed her anyway and, wouldn't you know it, she's a trap.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 1, 2019

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah every time I've boinked the woods babe I've gotten the syph almost immediately. Because I tend to play Vikings and have a pile of concubines in a court where everybody is loving everybody else pretty much all the time it just kind of spreads from there.

Woods babes, not even once.

First time I saw the event I thought "wow, poo poo this is probably a trap." I mean she's 21, has two genetic traits, and invites you in for no strings attached bonking. What else would she be other than a trap? Of course I smashed her anyway and, wouldn't you know it, she's a trap.

Wow, that's crazy! In my ~600hrs of playtime, I think I can count the amount of times my character has caught syphilis on two (perhaps slightly mutated, from inbreeding) hands. And I take the hunting focus a lot, so that's just bizarre.
Now that I think about it though, if one of my lovers gains the syphilis trait, I'll dump them right away - so maybe that might've saved me? Since I definitely recall the 'of the Wilds' women eventually having the syphilis trait pop up on them a few times, although I don't think it's spread to me before, from them.

Either way though, I'm sure my luck won't hold up indefinitely! :tinfoil: I think I'll have to give those 'Wilds' women a miss in the future too, unless I'm old and/or really want to risk it for a smart heir.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Average Bear posted:

And the biggest reward for finding the white stag is what, 100 piety or prestige? C'mon.

Wow, that’s it? Least they could do is buff these outcomes if they’re gonna force an empire to blob next to you no matter where you start.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Nobody’s characters should be getting syphilis because it wasn’t recorded in Europe until 1494 and was probably brought back with Columbus.

e: I forgot about Sunset Invasion.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Nobody’s characters should be getting syphilis because it wasn’t recorded in Europe until 1494 and was probably brought back with Columbus.

e: I forgot about Sunset Invasion.

It's lowkey a can of worms that has been debated, tested, theorized, and modified so many times that the real origin of syphilis will probably never be known.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Lazyhound posted:

Some think there was syphilis around, but it was a strain that was less infectious or had less obvious effect than face bones falling apart, so it was never identified as such by medieval medicine

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
As an aside from the syphilis chat I'm coming to an end in my Ireland newbie game. I've played without any mods enabled but will probably turn everything I have on for my next game. Can someone give me the key run down on how not to gently caress myself straight away in my new game with the mod changes? I have Way of Life, Rajas, Sons of Abe, Old Gods, Republic, Legacy of Rome and Sword of Islam.

Also looking for a new place to start so suggestions welcome there too. Probably will just role with normal feudal for the new game before branching out to try a MR.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Average Bear posted:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/why-is-the-administrator-trait-so-hard-to-get.1158687/#post-25242288

Some guy did the math on why rulership is such a bad focus. It takes 86 years of just rulership focus to get the administrator trait event. You're more likely to die of the yearly stressed and depressed events it gives you before that.

I love CK2 but we need to talk about the Old Paradox design in it. Way of life is a great concept but you'll run through the entire content of it in one ruler. One event chain for scholarship. Business? One or two events, one that can only fire once in a lifetime. Hunting? It's just hiding a 1.0 feature behind a focus. Oh, and you can't hunt if you're stressed, depressed, or dickless because they're "health traits". The rewards are poo poo too. Like 5 prestige, maybe a chance or get 1 martial or die. And the biggest reward for finding the white stag is what, 100 piety or prestige? C'mon.

Just put some flavor in these events. CK2 is a game that thrives on flavor and color to the world. And make a ton of events for each focus. Any modder can poo poo out a couple hundred events in a day, paradox can too if they want to charge.

About Old Design: even relatively recent additions like Conclave education events suffer greatly from this. I recently saw this table:

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Education_(Conclave)#Childhood_traits

I bet very few of you knew how complex this education system is. I understood that education affects traits and educator can give his traits to a pupil. But look at this. It's a complex system you can use to get proper traits for your people and you need a cheatsheet to ever get a hang of it. Nothing in the game tells you about it, especially education traits or how Struggle can make children dumb and Thrift can make them smarter. And things like this: "When Groomed is possible, a Proud educator increases the chance". I'm not talking about the system having to be deterministic. But it's one thing if those focuses do more or less what they say and we don't know exactly chances for every trait or stat raise, or they affect chance of educator giving specific traits to ward. Here it turns out you have optimal decisions that are not obvious at all. A slow child should go for Thrift under patient or diligent educator, etiquette should be taught by gregarious or cruel educator.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
This game is not about optimal decisions. Play euiv...

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

This game is also not about immersion, play Total War. It's also not about fun, play Civilization. It's also not about challenge, play XCOM.

I'll come back when I have criticism on horse, bear or incest implementations which are the real purpose of this game.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Nah. The education system isn’t at all complex unless you insist on caring about every possible implication of every possible input. That’s minutiae, and it’s pretty pointless.

The basic rules are straightforward and for the most part well-signposted:

1. Childhood focuses give childhood traits
2a. Childhood traits develop into adult traits
2b. Guardians influence which traits a childhood trait develops into
3a. Education focuses determine what class of educational outcome a child receives
3b. A child’s traits influence what level of educational outcome a child receives

And... that’s it. What traits each childhood focus is likely to give you is listed on the focus; the focuses are (mostly) colour coded by what education they’ll enhance. What traits a childhood trait can evolve into is listed on the trait. When it comes time to select an education focus, the UI will straight-up tell you what’s a good idea based on the traits you have!

The most obscure part of the whole thing is the guardian input on trait evolutions, and even there it’s generally straightforward: children pick up similar traits to what their guardian have, or traits that seem like natural extensions of those traits. A proud guardian teaches their wards to take care of their appearance? Yeah, sure, that sounds legit.

If anything it’s too legible, too solvable.

The real problem with the education system is that some childhood focuses are too good, and others are useless. And I still think top-tier outcomes are too common but that’s just me.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

The most obscure part of the whole thing is the guardian input on trait evolutions, and even there it’s generally straightforward: children pick up similar traits to what their guardian have, or traits that seem like natural extensions of those traits. A proud guardian teaches their wards to take care of their appearance? Yeah, sure, that sounds legit.

But that's not what wiki says. Guardian only affects specific trait evolution outcome: "For example, Conscientious normally has an equal chance of becoming Diligent or Temperate , but with a Diligent educator, the outcome is more likely to be Diligent." If guardian is ambitious then for it to affect the child you need to chose Pride focus and then he might replace some of the bad traits with ambitious. And if you select Struggle focus then there's a higher chance that child will become Ambitious, apart from that guardian's Ambitious trait doesn't affect a thing. In case of this specific example you may have a good guess about focus but, say, Temperate educator overrides bad traits for Pride focus too, which is not obvious at all. Proud guardian will only teach wards to take care of their appearance if specific combination of focus and educator trait is there. Look at that "Choosing a guardian" part in a wiki I've linked, it tells you specific combinations of child and educator traits that do anything.

It's too solvable once you see that cheat sheet and it looks like a random noise otherwise. The problem is there is the right solution in there and the system would be better if it was what you're describing or what UI suggests it is.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Party In My Diapee posted:

This game is not about optimal decisions. Play euiv...

This. My sons are my wards, always. Everyone else goes to school under their thrifty aunt court tutor.