Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

"She-Hulk? What's next? a girl Wolverine?!"

lol two of my characters are literally red she-hulk and gabby kinney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

""GWEN"" Poole? who tf is that?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lmao thats another character i grabbed are yall stalking my account

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

site posted:

lmao thats another character i grabbed are yall stalking my account

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Speaking of announcements: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/topic/10784-another-update-from-the-homecoming-team/

quote:

Hello everyone!

It’s been a month and a half since our last update, so we thought now would be an excellent time to let you all know where we’re at. Today we’re going to be talking about your wishes for the future of the game, what’s next for Homecoming, and our plans going forward.

Your Feedback
A few weeks ago we asked one simple question: What do you want to see out of a legitimate, licensed City of Heroes server?

We’ve pored over the first 20 pages of your responses, and this is what we’ve found:
New and updated costume options were by far the most frequent answers
These were followed by new powers, and then by new content (most commonly new end-game content)
There’s a strong desire for us to continue updating older sets to be on-par with newer sets
The most popular specific request is, of course, Mastermind customisation (what else would it be?!)
Protection from server closure and generally ensuring that Homecoming (and your characters) stay online is very important to many of you

Issue 26, Page 3
Now for the exciting bit! We will soon™ begin public testing of Issue 26, Page 3. What is Page 3? Well, I’m glad you asked!

As we don’t have the resources of a full studio behind us, we’re going to be releasing content in smaller chunks (or.. Pages) which are bound together into larger collections / storylines (or.. Issues). Pages 1 & 2 were mainly maintenance & quality of life updates, but 3 is our first major content release. It will include:

The Force of Will power pool
Two new Story Arcs with branching narratives
A bunch of new exploration badges
And that’s just the beginning. We’ve got a ton more in the pipeline, some of which will positively shock you.

Going Forward
Our goal, as always, remains the same: To ensure the community can continue playing the game for many years to come without fear of an imminent shut-down. We are also committed to continuing with our 100% free, not-for-profit, donation-driven model.

As part of this, we’re now collaborating not only with The Titan Network, but also the Victory and Resurgence servers, and it’s our intention to invite more servers to the table in the coming months.

We really do appreciate the community’s patience on this, and we can’t wait to share more with you when the time comes.

That’s all for today. Thank you once again for your continued faith in us!

- The Homecoming Team

PS: be on the lookout for spooky ghosts.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Force of Will power pool.

https://cityofheroes.fandom.com/wiki/Force_of_Will

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
How's the 64 Bit client working out so far? Does anyone have any first hand experience with it increasing performance/graphics on high end rigs?

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Brave New World posted:

How's the 64 Bit client working out so far? Does anyone have any first hand experience with it increasing performance/graphics on high end rigs?

It solved an issue that I had where the game would crash after running out of memory (Playing on a laptop)

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Branching narratives? Have they done that before?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

hup posted:

Does praetorian start for Going Rogue count?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if you choose yes you fight the bad guy in this warehouse, if you choose no you fight in that warehouse

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Oh yeahhhh, I forgot because I haven’t played that on homecoming much at all

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

I hope my ice armor thor knock-off, Thaw survives the new policy.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

hup posted:

There's been some really minor stuff like 'you helped this guy so he shows up later VS you didn't so he died' but nothing I'd have called like an actual branching narrative

I hope they've figured out how to do real actual branching stuff though. That would be pretty cool.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Rad/Fire Brute is buff as hell.

Once you slot up Irradiated Ground and Blazing Aura with procs, and have level 40+ IOs... you are good to go. All the billions of inf just make your consumption of purples decrease, and your speed increase.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Staff Fighting and Dual Pistols may both be objectively at the lower end of the damage spectrum, but god drat are they both fun as gently caress. I have a Staff/WP Brute I've been soloing through all of Praetoria, First Ward and now Night Ward with, and I'm having a loving blast the entire way though. I'm carefully reading all of the quest text to reexperience everything I forgot in the intervening 7 years, but my character just breezes through the missions themselves with all of her flashy AoE damage. It doesn't hurt that Staff is also easy on the ears, unlike some other sets I could mention.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The animations for Dual Pistols are awesome, but yeah, the damage is blah. The irony is that they implemented the I24 buff for DP, meaning the damage was even worse on the live server.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

dual pistols have damage issues exactly because their awesome animations are so loving long, even post buff, but it's not so much of a gap that you'll necessarily feel weak before 50

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The trick for making Dual Pistols work a little better at 50 is to load up with procs. They're never going to be top tier but with lots of procs they can be pretty resectable, at least on a Corruptor.

They're no Fire Blast, but what is?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Brave New World posted:

Staff Fighting and Dual Pistols may both be objectively at the lower end of the damage spectrum, but god drat are they both fun as gently caress. I have a Staff/WP Brute I've been soloing through all of Praetoria, First Ward and now Night Ward with, and I'm having a loving blast the entire way though. I'm carefully reading all of the quest text to reexperience everything I forgot in the intervening 7 years, but my character just breezes through the missions themselves with all of her flashy AoE damage. It doesn't hurt that Staff is also easy on the ears, unlike some other sets I could mention.

BYOOM

BEEWEEWEEWEE

ZYORRRN

There's a reason Enigmon mostly hangs out in Pocket D now. Well, mostly it's freaking the mundanes, but the sounds of Mind Control are a biggie.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

been spending a lot of time soloing a StJ/Dark brute

StJ's sound effects and animations are just gorgeous, a real whooshy crunchy kind of thing. if you were gonna make a Kiryu, you'd use StJ. shin breaker against a knocked down opponent looks extremely plausible and brutal

Dark Armor doesn't seem extremely bad, it just doesn't have any end return abilities, and of course most of its utility stuff is extremely end-hungry. I guess if I did proper set IOs I could afford to power my armor all the time without stam breaks? I'm actually not sure if it's any worse than any other non-end-refunding armor set, I should find out sometime

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I spent several hundred millions of inf on my DP sentinel and it kills real good. But yeah it’s no fire blast.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

LordSaturn posted:

been spending a lot of time soloing a StJ/Dark brute

StJ's sound effects and animations are just gorgeous, a real whooshy crunchy kind of thing. if you were gonna make a Kiryu, you'd use StJ. shin breaker against a knocked down opponent looks extremely plausible and brutal

Street Justice stalkers are so much fun. Just sneak up to a guy and knock 'em the gently caress out.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Mirage posted:

Street Justice stalkers are so much fun. Just sneak up to a guy and knock 'em the gently caress out.

:yeah:

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LordSaturn posted:

Dark Armor doesn't seem extremely bad, it just doesn't have any end return abilities, and of course most of its utility stuff is extremely end-hungry. I guess if I did proper set IOs I could afford to power my armor all the time without stam breaks? I'm actually not sure if it's any worse than any other non-end-refunding armor set, I should find out sometime

IMHO Dark Armor is bad. The resists are mediocre, it sucks your end bar pretty hard, and non-stacking mag 2 mezzes are garbage.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LordSaturn posted:

Its end economy is worse if you try to run every toggle at the same time...but you should never be doing that in the first place. In terms of the endurance cost of 3 basic toggles + damage aura it's no different from, say, Elec Armor.

I busted my rear end to make Spines/Dark work without hoovering up every last point of endurance in two seconds flat. If I can make that work you can probably make any combo with Dark work, and easier to boot.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 1, 2019

DangerDan
May 31, 2011

FULTON: The Freshmaker
Oppressive Gloom is pretty much free to run and Cardiac Alpha being a natural combination for Dark Armor really solves most of its end problems unless you're having to slam Dark Regen on cooldown. The biggest knock against DA is that endgame enemies are something like 70% energy damage by volume since every dullard in existence has access to some kind of laser rifle or energy beam. It definitely wants some Slow Resistance from IO sets if you plan on fighting psionic enemies though, otherwise the -Rech will put Dark Regen into a cooldown of like 1 minute from people beaming hot takes into your brain.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
One of the best things you can do for Dark Armor's endurance issues is stick a Theft of Essence: Chance for +End IO in Dark Regen. Gives you somewhere around 50% chance of 10 endurance per target, which can outright refill your bar if you have enough targets. Hitting the power that costs a third of your bar and having your endurance bar actually go up is great.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Saw this in the broke-brained City of Heroes facebook group, and guys, I'm starting to think saving CoH was a mistake:

:stonk:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

DangerDan posted:

Cardiac Alpha

this isn't a realistic option for me, I'm never going to feel like engaging with the post-50 endgame. some other good advice in there though, getting slowed is a bad loving time

General Maximus posted:

Theft of Essence: Chance for +End IO in Dark Regen.

this could work out, I am indeed usually hamstrung by "dark regen makes me be alive but now I need to chew blues to finish without dropping my armor" how is it affected by maxing out at level 30? I really haven't gotten farther into the itemization game than "level 30 workbenches"

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

FrostyPox posted:

Saw this in the broke-brained City of Heroes facebook group, and guys, I'm starting to think saving CoH was a mistake:

:stonk:

Couldn't even get the hair right, smdh

Maybe I'm just jaded by all the poorly done dicks, boobs, or both slapped onto Warhammer miniatures in the Unspiration thread, but those boobs don't even rank a raised eyebrow.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

LordSaturn posted:

this isn't a realistic option for me, I'm never going to feel like engaging with the post-50 endgame. some other good advice in there though, getting slowed is a bad loving time

this could work out, I am indeed usually hamstrung by "dark regen makes me be alive but now I need to chew blues to finish without dropping my armor" how is it affected by maxing out at level 30? I really haven't gotten farther into the itemization game than "level 30 workbenches"

Alpha stuff is achieved by doing the exact stuff you were doing before 50. If you just enjoy playing the game you don’t have to change a thing. (Homecoming server)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

LordSaturn posted:

You don't need to raid anymore; just by playing a level 50 character you'll acquire incarnate currency. All you gotta do is buy incarnate salvage and make your demigod powers.

efb

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Like others have said, on Homecoming, you don't have to do raiding or endgame stuff to get incarnate powers. Levels you gain after 50 (which you'll be doing assuming you hit 50 and keep playing that character at all) give you incarnate threads, which you can turn into incarnate materials. Sure, you get your incarnate stuff up a lot faster if you do incarnate trials, but you don't at all have to.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
What are people's impressions on the Force of Will pool they're adding? It seems like a bit of a mishmash of abilities so I'm wondering if there's a reason to take them besides flavor/filler.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I don't know if it's any more of a mishmash than Sorcery, really. Sorcery has just kind of a jumble of powers, but it happens that a couple of them are really useful (Mystic Flight and Rune of Protection) so it's a reasonably popular power pool for builds.

If I had to guess, Force of Will might be somewhat less popular just because it doesn't have a super-strong defensive power like Rune of Protection that really anyone could make good use of. Though it does have an AoE knockdown, its own version of Super Jump, and a debuff that could be pretty good (depending on its numbers, which I don't know), so it might see some use for reasons other than just flavor. I'm no build expert, though--just scanning it and thinking what I'd do with it in a build.

Unleash Potential could be cool, depending on its buff values, though any of the characters I'd use it on are getting those things from other sources, so who knows. I'm gonna play around with it for sure, though.

Also I hope the wait isn't too long for the rest of the origin-themed power pools. Gadgetry and Utility Belt look like fun and I absolutely have characters I'd take those pools on for flavor alone.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 2, 2019

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I played around with the jumping power in Force of Will last night. Stats seem to make it identical to Super Jump. The extra power it gives you while active is a pbaoe knockdown that takes a couple minutes to recharge and doesn't do any damage. Also boosts your jump speed, like Hurdle does, for 30 seconds.

I was underwhelmed. The -res power might be useful, but overall I probably won't use this pool. I think the -res was 9.75, at least on a brute I was trying it on.

Maybe I'd use the travel powers in these new pools if there wasn't a four-pool limit, but I don't take Fly without Hover or SJ without CJ, so I guess I'm not the target audience. Teleport is the one pool I tend to take the travel power and nothing else out of, so maybe if one of the others has a slightly enhanced TP, I'll use that.

Dark Regeneration is a great power. Slot one Touch of the Nictus acc/end/rech, one Theft of Essence acc/end/rech, the Theft proc, and three end/rech or heal/end/rech from healing sets. You'll hit the ED cap for end and recharge and often get to use it for free or regain endurance. It's a lot of slots, but it's also a pretty reliable full heal.

Dark Armor is good. I use Unbreakable Guard in the resists for melee defense and also endurance discount. Pairing OG with Mace or CoF with Dark Melee lets you stack stun or fear, but there are also teammates. I regularly team with a DA tank, and any time I'm on a Dark Miasma or Dark Armor character, our controls stack nicely.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Gorgar posted:

Maybe I'd use the travel powers in these new pools if there wasn't a four-pool limit, but I don't take Fly without Hover or SJ without CJ, so I guess I'm not the target audience. Teleport is the one pool I tend to take the travel power and nothing else out of, so maybe if one of the others has a slightly enhanced TP, I'll use that.

That's the reason I rarely take Sorcery, really. Thematically it'd fit really well with my main guy (a DP/Dark Corruptor who's all about taking dark magic and turning it against evildoers), but ultimately I like Hover, and if I'm taking Hover and a flying power, I probably also want Afterburner. At that point, I'm taking Fly instead of Mystic Flight.

Rune of Protection is tempting, don't get me wrong, and it's possible I'll respec one day and try to fit it in, but at the same time I haven't really felt a terrible need for it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

1. I wholesale do not like the incarnate system, and don't actually want to use it
2. have never, ever reached level 50 in this game. the middle part is the fun part, to me
3. if a character has a problem that can only be fixed by the incarnate system, then that character is going to suck until the game is over
4. stop doing this, it makes it really hard to get advice I can actually use

so based on wiki browsing, it looks like the proc part of a set doesn't actually give a poo poo what level it is? like, the parts that actually have numbers to scale, those scale based on the level they're crafted at, but the proc doesn't? can you get set bonuses out of a level 10 and three level 30s or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

can you get set bonuses out of a level 10 and three level 30s or whatever?

Yes. Set bonuses don't care if all the enhancements are the same level.

That said, if you exemplar down below level 30, your level 30 ones will stop "counting" because they're above your effective level. If you're buying your IOs instead of crafting, you might as well buy attuned ones so that they'll scale to your level as you exemplar/sidekick around (and they cost the same on the AH as any other set IO of their type thanks to drawing from the same pool of for-sale IOs). That's especially true if you don't expect to hit 50--the only real downside to attuned enhancements is that they can't be boosted above level 50 (which IMO is not enough of a downside for me to care about even at level 50, but hey).

Ignore that if you're crafting them, obviously, just go with the recipes you have available.