Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

OutOfPrint posted:

Something hit me while half asleep today, so I wanted to float it here. What would you all think of a quick dodge move? Something like a blink backward relative to the crosshairs or mouse cursor to move out of the way of projectiles not tied to a wand or potion. Tying it to the levitation meter makes the most sense to me from a game design perspective since it's already a feature, but a cooldown could work, too.

That would go a long way to increase survivability. We've all had things ended by projectiles or other dangers landing in our laps that we could see coming, but couldn't dodge in time due to momentum or the danger moving faster than the wizard could. This would not only remove that frustration, but introduce another player skill component that would feel pretty good to master.

Being able to instantly move backward a couple block's length seems to me, in my half awake state, would work really well in game.

I guess you could argue that the teleport wand fulfills that role in a way, but it does seem impractical when you have to wait for the teleport bolt to hit a surface, and also have the tele-wand out in the first place.

Unrelated to that, I've found that if I don't pick up a good attack wand after that first cave, I immediately swap the bomb wand's bomb with the basic magic bolt. Bomb wand is actually pretty dang versatile apart from the mana issues. It can do your drills, your chainsaws, your cheap bouncy orbs or other cheap spammy spells, and it can actually do the water spell or cement spell really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

OutOfPrint posted:

Something hit me while half asleep today, so I wanted to float it here. What would you all think of a quick dodge move? Something like a blink backward relative to the crosshairs or mouse cursor to move out of the way of projectiles not tied to a wand or potion. Tying it to the levitation meter makes the most sense to me from a game design perspective since it's already a feature, but a cooldown could work, too.

That would go a long way to increase survivability. We've all had things ended by projectiles or other dangers landing in our laps that we could see coming, but couldn't dodge in time due to momentum or the danger moving faster than the wizard could. This would not only remove that frustration, but introduce another player skill component that would feel pretty good to master.

Being able to instantly move backward a couple block's length seems to me, in my half awake state, would work really well in game.
I don't want the player to be more survivable in general, and I specifically I don't want to be more powerful/survivable in a face to face fight. Right now you have to be very careful about how you engage enemies, you have to play around enemy line of sight a lot... it feels tactical in a very good way IMO because of how dangerous enemies are.

My only tuning opinions are 1). I think shuffle wands probably shouldn't exist, and 2). I think that lategame enemies should have less HP(but possibly more damage-some of them, like the ones that summon dark fire trails, honestly do very little damage, they're just tanky as hell)

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
One little thing I wish we had was more indications of a wand's comparative quality than just the text color. Multiple times I've swapped in a wand with greens in mostly everything, only to later realize that its mana regen is trash garbage and it's wholly unsuitable as a bread-and-butter attack wand. Having an 'F' or ⏬ in addition to the text color would make it way easier to determine how good a wand is. Right now I find myself comparing wands by mousing back-and-forth between them way more than I'd like.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
tbh I think it would go along way in terms of survivability without cheating if the fast movement perk was the default

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Lmfao I just got my first win with the most degenerate strategy. I had made it to the jungle with a pretty sweet wand, melee immunity and a couple full invisibility potions. Unfortunately a worm angered the gods and I thought my run was over there (I have no idea what to do about the skeletons). I decided I'd try to sneak by him with the invis potion and sure enough it worked. And then I just like... kept going... staying invisible the whole time. Turns out that you can stay invisible for a long rear end time just topping yourself off every once in awhile and with melee immunity there isn't really much even the ghost worms in the vault can do about it. My gameplay till the end just consisted of avoiding puddles and occasionally bombing my way to the exits. I was pretty nervous coming up to the final boss, which I had never fought before, but I smartly grabbed low gravity just before and proceeded to never touch the ground the whole fight which made it pretty easy.

Game is sick but I don't think the worms should be able to tunnel into the god rooms.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

invisibility is actually crazy strong; as long as you don't use a wand or have any stains on you almost nothing can see you, flat out, and you can do what you want

you're in for a time if you step in a puddle tho

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

tbh I think it would go along way in terms of survivability without cheating if the fast movement perk was the default

Picking one perk at start would be a really good boon, and the perks are powerful enough and varied enough to make it completely game-changing

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Clark Nova posted:

Picking one perk at start would be a really good boon, and the perks are powerful enough and varied enough to make it completely game-changing

That's another good idea, I think "more consistently interesting starts" is something that would really help the game out and that way you have something to build and play around from floor 1. Right now the mines are in a way the weakest part of the game IMO -- they're not that dangerously if you play cautiously, and so your only incentive not to scour every inch of the floor for wands and gold and max hp boosts is just skipping that and pushing ahead because it's kind of tedious to do so. I kind of like that there's no timer but there needs to be something besides boredom keeping me from min-maxing by sweeping the whole first level

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

MMF Freeway posted:

Game is sick but I don't think the worms should be able to tunnel into the god rooms.

When a worm burrows into the holy mountain it should spawn the skeleton guy, but he tries to kill the worm instead.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Anyone been down to the rock work hell to look for the 11th orb? How do you actually go about finding where it is?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://i.imgur.com/VZzWGeA.mp4

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
So last night some weird poo poo happened. Turns out the game has some kind of alchemy system where you can mix chemicals/liquids to create other stuff, but it's complicated and seed-based as to what the combinations are. For some reason a worm spawned in the starting mines and went on a rampage throughout the area. Turns out on that particular seed if you mix water and worm blood in the presence of coal, you get an unstable reagent called Alchemical Precursor. Then, if that chemical somehow touches meat, it turns into Draught of Midas, which is basically acid except it turns any terrain it touches into gold instead of just melting it. This all managed to happen completely by accident offscreen somehow.

And that's the story of how I left the starting mines with like $6000.

EDIT: Forgot the gif i grabbed of the reaction:

I Said No fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Oct 1, 2019

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
This is the best wand I have made so far(And not possible with shuffle = yes). It's glorius and of course it killed me, as it drat well should :swoon:. My big mistake was I had 6hp left after a few uuuh incidents of close range fire, and was almost at the temple so I started to pre-emptively bombard openings to clear out entire areas before decending. The gods did not approve...

edit: Snipers where particularly funny, just point the crosshair along their laser sights and click a few times.

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 1, 2019

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
RPS says Noita's doing well on Steam, hooray

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/09/30/steam-charts-spooky-action-edition/

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

I Said No posted:

So last night some weird poo poo happened. Turns out the game has some kind of alchemy system where you can mix chemicals/liquids to create other stuff, but it's complicated and seed-based as to what the combinations are. For some reason a worm spawned in the starting mines and went on a rampage throughout the area. Turns out on that particular seed if you mix water and worm blood in the presence of coal, you get an unstable reagent called Alchemical Precursor. Then, if that chemical somehow touches meat, it turns into Draught of Midas, which is basically acid except it turns any terrain it touches into gold instead of just melting it. This all managed to happen completely by accident offscreen somehow.

And that's the story of how I left the starting mines with like $6000.
I've read that the alchemy isn't just seed-based but is also location-based, so a recipe that works in the mines won't necessarily work below them, for example.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Noir89 posted:

This is the best wand I have made so far(And not possible with shuffle = yes). It's glorius and of course it killed me, as it drat well should :swoon:. My big mistake was I had 6hp left after a few uuuh incidents of close range fire, and was almost at the temple so I started to pre-emptively bombard openings to clear out entire areas before decending. The gods did not approve...

edit: Snipers where particularly funny, just point the crosshair along their laser sights and click a few times.

That's beautiful and I hope to die to a wand that perfect one day

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Hogama posted:

I've read that the alchemy isn't just seed-based but is also location-based, so a recipe that works in the mines won't necessarily work below them, for example.

:psyduck:

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://steamcommunity.com/games/noita/announcements/detail/1576747792055902283

quote:

Hey everyone! The latest Noita build contains five new perks, fixes replay recorder gif looping and improves gif downscaling quality. Screenshake has also been reduced to 70% of original amount.

In our next patch we'll focus on balancing various unfair game mechanics and improving the legibility of status effects.

(The replay recorder can be enabled via PAUSE -> Options -> Replay recorder)

Update #3 release notes (Oct 1 2019)

UPDATE: Replay edit - higher quality downsampling
UPDATE: Gameplay - reduced default screen shake to 70% of original
UPDATE: Several new perks for extra variety!
BUGFIX: Replay edit - gifs don't loop correctly

:toot:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Daily run has a worm loose right near the holy mountain :gibs:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Digging my way into hell just got a lot tastier.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Clark Nova posted:

goferchan posted:

Right now the mines are in a way the weakest part of the game IMO

Yah this is really good and also close to what Dead Cells does. If I started the game with a perk—like fire immunity, for example—then I have a goal/strategy for level one, as opposed to the current level one experience which is "very very slowly walk around and pray the rng gives you some good stuff"

imho the base walking speed should be upped slightly too. not too much... but walking definitely feels punishingly slow at the moment

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 1, 2019

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

I think the problem with giving out random perks (or wands) in the beginning is that people will fall into the trap of restarting the game until they get what they want. Alternatively, if the perks you can choose are always the same, then people are just going to go for the mathematically best one every time.

But I do agree that the mines are kind of a weak area and you spend a disproportionately large amount of time in them. A lot of time I scour the entire area and come out empty-handed, which is demoralizing as well

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
If the reward for finishing a level quickly is significantly buffed rushing through mines would be more worthwhile.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
There's an update out.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/noita/announcements/detail/1576747792055902283

Hey everyone! The latest Noita build contains five new perks, fixes replay recorder gif looping and improves gif downscaling quality. Screenshake has also been reduced to 70% of original amount.

In our next patch we'll focus on balancing various unfair game mechanics and improving the legibility of status effects.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Minorkos posted:

I think the problem with giving out random perks (or wands) in the beginning is that people will fall into the trap of restarting the game until they get what they want. Alternatively, if the perks you can choose are always the same, then people are just going to go for the mathematically best one every time.

But I do agree that the mines are kind of a weak area and you spend a disproportionately large amount of time in them. A lot of time I scour the entire area and come out empty-handed, which is demoralizing as well

Slay the Spire does a kinda similar thing at the start of each run and I've never found myself wanting to reroll. I think being given a few choices helps alleviate that issue

DCSS also kinda does that with random demonspawn mutations (you have a pretty good chance of seeing your first one by d:2), and that race is one of my faves because of it.

Another way to go would be slightly specialized kits, a la risk of rain, in celebration of violence, or unexplored. All three use that kind of mechanic to good effect. I certainly wouldn't mind starting as a fire mage with fire immunity and a fireball wand but half health, or an earth mage that moves slower (actually yuck) but has a summon arrow wand and extra bombs, etc

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Slay yhe Spire also punishes repeat restarts by making the starting options you get less powerful if you didnt reach at least the first boss in the previous run.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

resistentialism posted:

Anyone been down to the rock work hell to look for the 11th orb? How do you actually go about finding where it is?

Found it. The map made it look like it was in line with the middle of the temple of the arts, which gave me a way to get a rough estimation of where to dive. Turned out to be true.
The orb is not very far down there at all.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

the final boss is uhhhhhhhhhhh

actually really easy what the heck

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
My suggestion for shuffle wands is keep them, but make a separate wand modifiers thing. Basically each wand has 0-3 or whatever augmentation slots that can only be used for passives (so would apply even to shuffled spells), but also expand the holy mountain shop to include wand passives that nullify shuffle or boost wands stats etc. So you could make a bad wand useable, but good wands are still upgrades since you can stack good modifiers instead of nullifying bad ones.

Dukeofdummies
Feb 1, 2012

Go on good sir, you have my full attention.
Anyone have any idea on how to swap the bottle throw and the bottle spray buttons? I change it in the controls... but all it seems to do is disable my ability to spray. I keep accidentally throwing flasks and now (from this thread) that I've actually discovered that you can fill them and spray them my survivability has increased greatly.

I really wish you started with an empty flask though, because god drat a small stain of poison or getting set on fire really just... it just wrecks a run. I feel like poison should only kick in after a several pixel deep pool.

Before any dodge gets added I just want the ability to stop, drop, and roll. It'd also be a nice feature to completely immerse yourself in a liquid that just isn't deep enough.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f66IkBxMpkw

schlorp schlorp schlorp schlorp

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

Beautiful :swoon:

Noita pvp free-for-all when?

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
I'd love multiplayer but I'd guess trying to sync everything would be an absolute nightmare.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
So looking at the beta, they're really toning down enemy spawn rates in Ice Caves and Hissasi Base . I understand that it's frustrating, but I don't think it's the right move. Both areas are definitely doable with just the two starter wands, but a slog, and the real pain is having to grind through or speedrun the first two levels. If there was an option to directly port from the surface to these levels that would be fine, or if getting stunlocked didn't happen so easily it'd be good too. The Ice Caves are empty enough as is.

Also if Hempuli and others are reading this, things that would make this game perfect:

wizard dress-up (purely cosmetic or with mod like effects) - I want to be the fire imp or the lightning dude, and maybe not wear purple robes all the time
some way to keep polymorphed - the enemies are all pretty interesting but it's a liability more than anything to use polymorph potions
multiplayer

The game is already amazing and exceeded the expectations built from the wait. You guys did a great job!

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Crampy Grampaw posted:

So looking at the beta, they're really toning down enemy spawn rates in Ice Caves and Hissasi Base . I understand that it's frustrating, but I don't think it's the right move. Both areas are definitely doable with just the two starter wands, but a slog, and the real pain is having to grind through or speedrun the first two levels. If there was an option to directly port from the surface to these levels that would be fine, or if getting stunlocked didn't happen so easily it'd be good too. The Ice Caves are empty enough as is.
they could do with reducing the spawn rates around the level's entrance at least. but imo the big problem in the later areas is less to do with the number of enemies and more to do with the amount of hp they have.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

finally, the physics-based hentai simulator i’ve been waiting for

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

nightwisher posted:

I'd love multiplayer but I'd guess trying to sync everything would be an absolute nightmare.

Just a joke, It would be horribly broken :v:

Never before in my life have I ever wanted to put a thing into another thing so much, I truly wished I had electric immunity so I could smack that electric arc into the first wand and not instantly die:

The wand already have fire arc innately and only reason I could use it was I picked up fire immune right after I got it, imagine every single room looking like this:

I of course, in true Noita fashion, died later by accidently polymorphing into a sheep right next to a mob, that then instakilled me with a kick to the face :v:

Edit: Yeah if devs read this, please dump shuffle-wands! Joking aside, the only reason I loathe them is because you have made such an amazing spellcrafting system that I find tons of fun making dumb combos that explodes or melt the entire world including me :)

Noir89 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 1, 2019

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Apparently some devs read this thread? Or we're hoping they do?

If so, please consider making the default color for the health bar red. Health is blood, red is healthy blood. Green is poison, poison is bad.

TIA if it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
beta branch starts you with a full water flask