Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Shakenbaker posted:

Just got back in from Big Brave, Blackwater Holylight, and Thou. All of those bands rule and I now on a lilac metal shirt.

Gonna see this tour on Thursday! So hyped, and it's free to boot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Weaponized Cum posted:

Gonna see this tour on Thursday! So hyped, and it's free to boot

Hell yeah! I'm half tempted to touch base with my Orlando people and do a double header. The lineup is just too good.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJcUhwCLM7U

Backtracking but this is great, particularly the last few mins when they go into Behind the Wall of Sleep.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Ingmar terdman posted:

Cocaine-prog Sabbath is good and there's lots of funny stories like Tony deciding he was going to learn violin and Geezer was going to learn cello for the album. National Acrobat is an all-timer.

I was revisiting Acid King III awhile back and I think it nails the MoR sound like no other album. A lot of bands pay homage or build entire catalogs out of sweet leaf and iron man but Acid King seems to really grok the riff/songwriting architecture of MoR if that makes sense

III is so fuzzzzzzy and groovy so far. I’ve listened to Acid King before but they never stuck with me. This post was too convincing though so I had to throw this on and give it a try.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Shakenbaker posted:

Just got back in from Big Brave, Blackwater Holylight, and Thou. All of those bands rule and I now on a lilac metal shirt.

I really like Blackwater Holylight (and Thou) and was sad this tour didn't come near me. But luckily BWHL is going on another tour after with Monolord, who I am indifferent to, but will go to - maybe Monolord is good live?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Is this the right thread to talk about how bands like Graveyard and Witchcraft are great?

Because Graveyard and Witchcraft are great and I'd like to listen to more bands like them (aside from Pentagram)

double posting but. if you are looking for "occult rock/doom" vibes in general then there are a bunch of 'em that popped up around 2010, give or take a few years in either direction. all of these happen to have women singers, shoutout to Jinx from Coven for being the ur-witch. they're all a bit derivative-sounding but most are worth checking out, in rough order of how much I like them:

Blood Ceremony, Jex Thoth, Purson, Electric Citizen, Black Moth, Sabbath Assembly, Psychedelic Witchcraft, The Devil's Blood, Jess & The Ancient Ones. I am sure there are more too.

oh and try Devil's Witches too. one-man act that does some neat stuff. the first two songs from the "Velvet Magic" album are like always stuck in my head.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Thank you for all the recommendations friends!

Also the thread title makes me laugh every time I read it.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Oh! When it comes to female-fronted bands, I'll add my favourite little band Ruby The Hatchet and one which I learned about from this thread, Tanith. Tanith is more NWoBHM than SDS, but excellent either way.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm going up to Baltimore to see Ruby this weekend...they really impressed me at Days of Darkness last year, they tour an old Hammond or whatever organ. Big Jon Lord vibes

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They don't really fit the thread but my favorite lady-fronted band right now is definitely Brutus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkT6JCUEz2A

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Ingmar terdman posted:

I'm going up to Baltimore to see Ruby this weekend...they really impressed me at Days of Darkness last year, they tour an old Hammond or whatever organ. Big Jon Lord vibes

Yeah they really were killer. I keep hoping they'll tour south of Atlanta but it hasn't happened yet.

Pretty sure they had a Leslie cab for that organ too, that's some dedication.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ruby are pretty good although I couldnt get into their second album. I might give it another try.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I liked Planetary Space Child, but they did... something to the vocals which did the album no favours. It muddled Jillian's vocals, which is a crime.

Speaking of Ruby, they recorded a cover of Uriah Heep's Easy Livin' which ought to be a groove. Hope they break it out live in Baltimore so Ingmar can confirm/deny.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Trabant posted:

I liked Planetary Space Child, but they did... something to the vocals which did the album no favours. It muddled Jillian's vocals, which is a crime.

Speaking of Ruby, they recorded a cover of Uriah Heep's Easy Livin' which ought to be a groove. Hope they break it out live in Baltimore so Ingmar can confirm/deny.

There is many, many layers/harmonies on the vocals for Valley of the Snake, and while it sounds incredible (I havent had a single person not go 'woah what a voice' when showing them Heavy Blanket) its not really possible for her to ever sound like that live.

sometimes bands strip it back so it sounds 'more like a live show'.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Jex Thoth are great I saw them play in a tiny bar and the singer came into the audience and did all sorts of cool ritual poo poo but then jumped back on stage and left a lit candle right next to a curtain which gave me serious anxiety for the rest of the show

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:chanpop:

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

magnificient!

(hardcore MOO inside joke)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Thank you for all the recommendations friends!

Also the thread title makes me laugh every time I read it.

hell yeah you reminded me of how much I love Witchcraft and haven't listened to them enough recently. gone through the first 3 albums so far this morning. 'Samaritan Burden' is definitely Magnus's tribute to Tool lol. probably gonna buy a cool Witchcraft shirt to let everyone know I like Witchcraft.

Jex from Jex Thoth used to be married to Jackson Toth aka Wooden Wand who is not stoner/doom but still makes really cool folky music. now I wanna buy a Jex Thoth shirt too urgh

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

my bony fealty posted:

hell yeah you reminded me of how much I love Witchcraft and haven't listened to them enough recently. gone through the first 3 albums so far this morning. 'Samaritan Burden' is definitely Magnus's tribute to Tool lol. probably gonna buy a cool Witchcraft shirt to let everyone know I like Witchcraft.

Jex from Jex Thoth used to be married to Jackson Toth aka Wooden Wand who is not stoner/doom but still makes really cool folky music. now I wanna buy a Jex Thoth shirt too urgh

I'm not a huge fan of Tool but if you like stuff that sounds like that might I recommend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy6rf0AIxpY (imo Soen sounds like if Opeth decided to do a Tool tribute album)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpQ19k0L6_I

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Desert Sessions vols. 11 and 12 on 10/25 :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drnmwXtOo0U

Top comment is :discourse: "You cant even hear it."

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

apropos of this a conan side project someone turn me on to today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJsoPWtA5xM

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Ingmar terdman posted:

apropos of this a conan side project someone turn me on to today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJsoPWtA5xM

How did a band with guitar tone as good as Conan make a band with guitar tone as lovely as this

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Trabant posted:

Desert Sessions vols. 11 and 12 on 10/25 :woop:

my expectations are neither high nor low

yo you ever wondered what earth 2 would be like if it was star trek: the animated series?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just booked a show with Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean and I'm super stoked on it! RIYL Thou, Dystopia

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Thou ruled last night, holy poo poo

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just booked a show with Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean and I'm super stoked on it! RIYL Thou, Dystopia

Not only is CttBotO's music wicked good, its probably the coolest doom band name out there

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

old sci-fi computer games work surprisingly well for this

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

getting some OM vibes off the new Ufomammut EP

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Quantum of Phallus posted:

:bisonyes:

Snow Cone Capone posted:

old sci-fi computer games work surprisingly well for this

:bisonyes:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Quantum of Phallus posted:

thanks for this this is exactly the thing i need to listen to while i wait for this delayed flight to get here

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001
Album cover I just finished

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It’s lovely :allears:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
That rules.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zoben posted:

Hell yeah! I've caught those dudes a couple times too, solid band even with the flood light solos.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

Zoben posted:

A+ awesome!

Spinal Pap
Jun 24, 2007

uh-

Zoben posted:

:eyepop:

Nice

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Zoben posted:

loving hell I would love to be this skilled someday :swoon:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Well, their last release was real good, so I impulse bought this one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chola
Nov 10, 2013

Zoben posted:

This loving rules.