Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Bop HQ is wherever Carly Rae Jepson records and that's final

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

For some reason just the fact that they're referring to it as BOP is enough to make me less interested in the movie.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

Are they getting Hanson for the theme song?

Man, I hope so. Hanson is so good but they haven't had a big hit in years.

DC Murderverse posted:

Yes. Harley seems perfect for one of Carly's upbeat and horny songs.

Edit:

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 1, 2019

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Saw this at TIFF and I'm not sure how people are going to respond to it. The obvious thing to do is a straight biopic but this isn't one it's not really his story. He's there to help the journalist character. I'm not sure come awards season if Hanks would even be considered the lead actor.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DC Murderverse posted:

Hell yeah.

I'm actually excited for BoP and Suicide Squad 2. She's a very good choice for the role, just needs better writing and directing.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Sometimes I forget how long necks can get.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

DC Murderverse posted:

Harley Quinn is... hosting SNL???

-PTSD flashbacks to 'Deadpool should host SNL' petitions-

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's a poster sized one for BOPATFEOOHQ

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bad poster. The background is too busy and drowns out her costume and the hyena which should be the focus.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Seems they’re going with the more pop-techno era of Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Karen O for BoP which also makes sense and I am super down with.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I don't think I like the direction of this Shakespeare revenge movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

oaml

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of Jonathan Lethem adaptations I'm kind of surprised that nobody has tried to do something with "The Fortress of Solitude" which seems like a novel that would be ripe for adaptation. Its about two young men, one white one black, growing up in Brooklyn in the 70s and deals with stuff like racism, gentrification, the birth of the modern graffiti artist and a touch of fantasy involving a magic ring that lets you fly.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

TheCool69 posted:

Thank you for this just added it to shopping list. Not to derail the thread but are there any other books like this you guys recommend? I love reading bts stories from Hollywood and studios

I'm currently reading through Hit and Run: How Jon Peters and Peter Guber Took Sony for a Ride in Hollywood. As the title suggests, the focus is on how the pair wasted billions of Sony's money during its entry into Hollywood. But its a great biography of two studio stereotypes who represent the transition from the early New Hollywood to the blockbuster era. Guber even wore a ponytail with sports coats during the 80s.

Jon Peters is the more interesting character, since he's an outlandish psychopath and is still this looming presence in Hollywood despite being (rightly) blacklisted by the industry. Because of his involvement in Superman Lives and Superman Returns, he still had a contractual connection to Man of Steel. So Christopher Nolan had to bribe Peters with millions and an Exec Producer credit so he'd stay the gently caress away from the set.

In 1976 he adapted A Star is Born and turned into a strange cuck fantasy with his girlfriend Barbara Streisand. Kris Kristofferson plays an obvious self-insert of Jon Peters, while having fake movie sex and very real naked baths with Streisand. Cut to 40 years later, and Bradley Cooper has to pretend like he doesn't know about Jon's long history of sexual abuse while winning him a Best Picture for the 2018 version.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A weird thing about Hollywood is how a producer can just barnacle themselves onto a property and it is really hard to remove them. Despite the fact that he had absolutely nothing to do with it other than the "X-Men" connection Bryan Singer was still listed as an Executive Producer on the TV show Legion.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I kind of like how unapolegetically the Harley Quinn BOP movie is going for just a female audience and no one else instead of putting a marketable female character who punches people in a generic action superhero movie that every demographic will like according to the focus groups.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I kind of like how unapolegetically the Harley Quinn BOP movie is going for just a female audience and no one else instead of putting a marketable female character who punches people in a generic action superhero movie that every demographic will like according to the focus groups.

Margot Robbie's Harley is practically enough to appeal to men.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Suicide Squad outfit sure, not so much these ones.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I mean as far as marketing goes “put Margot Robbie front and center” isn’t exactly a bold approach. If anything, it’s pretty drat safe.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Aphrodite posted:

The Suicide Squad outfit sure, not so much these ones.

Yeah when the first pictures of Harley from this movie came out someone mentioned that the difference between her clothes in SS and in BoP is dressing a woman up for men vs dressing a woman up for herself and that pretty much rings true about the whole movie.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

DC Murderverse posted:

Yeah when the first pictures of Harley from this movie came out someone mentioned that the difference between her clothes in SS and in BoP is dressing a woman up for men vs dressing a woman up for herself and that pretty much rings true about the whole movie.

If anyone complains about BoP because it doesn't satisfy their male gaze, I will rip their eyes out.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Suicide Squad Joker and Harley were already obviously Ninja and Yolandi, so putting a hyena in the mix just makes this look like a Die Antwoord music video.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

And speaking of blokes and Harley Quinn, I can't be the only person that is relieved that the Leto-Joker is nowhere to be seen (so far), or that their relationship isn't being glamorised like we're all supposed to celebrate a relationship that is built on abuse.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Xealot posted:

Suicide Squad Joker and Harley were already obviously Ninja and Yolandi, so putting a hyena in the mix just makes this look like a Die Antwoord music video.

she's had hyenas forever

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vagabundo posted:

And speaking of blokes and Harley Quinn, I can't be the only person that is relieved that the Leto-Joker is nowhere to be seen (so far), or that their relationship isn't being glamorised like we're all supposed to celebrate a relationship that is built on abuse.

I am 99% certain that Pete Davidson is playing Damaged!Joker in a one-scene cameo where Harley beats the poo poo out of his dumb rear end with her baseball bat

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Peanut President posted:

she's had hyenas forever

Apparently so. I didn't recall that from Batman TAS at all, but fair enough.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

Xealot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXrDGvICfnU
This looks like a later season judging by the more ... anime look to the characters. Not sure how to explain it.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just let the new Joker be funny, that’s all I’m asking

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Firstborn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXrDGvICfnU
This looks like a later season judging by the more ... anime look to the characters. Not sure how to explain it.

This is the earliest appearance of the hyenas I could find, from season 1 episode 51:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsNB89ciF88&t=41s

I just remember they were always there and I'm glad they gave her one for the movie :3:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Hyenas are her Super Move in Injustice 2 as well

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Well I guess that explains something in that Batman VS TMNT movie, huh.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Xealot posted:

I mean that show aired 25 years ago so not knowing a small trivial factoid isn't that big a deal.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For a second I thought that was some wild as gently caress review pull

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

For a second I thought that was some wild as gently caress review pull

Well you know what they say about movie reviews.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

So I take it Steven Soderbergh lied about quitting directing then

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
When does Colin Firth show up?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Where have you been for the last 2 years?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think he just means in theaters, and even then he directed a couple of indie movies for theaters up to 2017. He directed a couple of movies for Netflix and his next one is for HBO Max

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 4, 2019