Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yeah well given just how loving hard it is to actually buy a drat place in anything that looks vaguely like a city I can see that being popular to voters.

Yup. Hell, we just bought our first home and despite knowing it's a poo poo policy if I could have put super moneys towards it I probably would have been seriously tempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

abigserve posted:

Most middle aged people are reliant on super for retirement though right? I'm struggling to think who would vote for this besides retirees who already got their payouts.

Depends. Super was only introduced in the 1990s, was slowly phased up to the 9.5% mandatory contributions, and as such a lot of older soon-to-be retirees don't have much of it, especially women, who don't accrue super while on unpaid maternity leave, earn less while working part time upon returning to work, and also earn less in general. Like most features of our economic system, it overwhelmingly favours educated white men with a much greater capacity to earn.

So you got quite a few soon-to-be retirees with like 150k stashed. Not enough to do much other than top up the pension a bit.

Conversely, aspirational HENRY types who have a load of super probably also have a load of liquid capital already, and would love to get access to their super NOW so they can throw it all into property or bitcoins or whatever dumb rear end cash cow they can find.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Bargearse posted:

I know somebody who is thrilled about the idea of voluntary super because, in her words "I can manage my own money if they'd just give it to me!", and she's somehow under the belief that employers would pay their staff the difference out of the kindness of their hearts.

There's no reasoning with some people.

Blow her mind by telling her about this one little secret that not many people know about called self managed super funds.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

NPR Journalizard posted:

Blow her mind by telling her about this one little secret that not many people know about called self managed super funds.

That actually takes work, you can't buy ubereats with a smsf

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

JBP posted:

Actually they’re a public company

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/Paul_Karp/status/1178885668602138625

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe

Is this dude just complaining that Anglicans cant be legally protected from discriminating against everyone else. He mentions that the bill would stop Christian organizations from preferencing other Christians for positions, but complains that companies could discriminate by making speaking about religion unnaceptable at work. Does that include stopping people from telling all the gays at the office that they're hosed and are going to burn.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

So basically the thing where they want others to have to accommodate them but not vice versa.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
My term deposit matures in a few days can't wait to see how much lower term deposit interest rates are next time!

e. also low interest rates are bad for super right?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I cant WAIT to see what bullshit banks come up with to keep credit card rates above 10%

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

bowmore posted:

excited for rates to hit zero

just like jesus intended!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hail satan

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The bishop of the Anglican Archdiocese of Sydney is some sort of hyper-CHUD, because of course he is. He's the one who donated 1M to the No campaign during the SSM debacle, while most of the other bishops were saying "eh it's 2019 ffs".

Garbage city.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Zenithe posted:

My term deposit matures in a few days can't wait to see how much lower term deposit interest rates are next time!

e. also low interest rates are bad for super right?

can’t wait for endless ACA segments on boomers pulling life savings out of TDs to sink it into and then lose on ‘15% guaranteed’ schemes flogged by dodgy financial advisors

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Revive Pyramid imo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sign me up imo

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

The Greta child's paganism with a western structure of a satan, cancelled

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Oct 1, 2019

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I'll never post collusion

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Oct 1, 2019

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

NPR Journalizard posted:

She willingly, voluntarily associates with David Hiscox, I doubt anything would convince her.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Abby got a message on Wechat from a Chinese University Society saying she has to watch the 70th birthday parade or else her family will be informed.

Smells like bullshit to me but now I guess we are watching this thing now on TV.

Time to crack open a beer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

How do they know you're watching it

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

pop quiz

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

This is probably not the place for this, but considering what Anidav is watching on TV, I feel it must be said:

The CCP is poopy. Hong Kong is not China. Taiwan is an independent nation. Free all those held in the death camps in Xinjiang! And most importantly, Xi Jinping looks like Winnie the Pooh.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

JBP posted:

Sign me up imo

you try to tell people today that there was a government backed pyramid scheme called 'pyramid' that blessed us with a 'pyramid' tax and and for some reason they look at you funny

JBP posted:

Someone else sent it to me. Do you actually think I search for anything myself lmao

okay

apparently the HK police are now shooting at protesters for a change of pace

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

This is probably not the place for this, but considering what Anidav is watching on TV, I feel it must be said:

The CCP is poopy. Hong Kong is not China. Taiwan is an independent nation. Free all those held in the death camps in Xinjiang! And most importantly, Xi Jinping looks like Winnie the Pooh.

Chinese people have no manners!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wizard Master posted:

Chinese people have no manners!

Neither do poor people it really bothers me

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
One of the nicest, kindest and most polite people I’ve ever met was from mainland China, go figure

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Bargearse posted:

One of the nicest, kindest and most polite people I’ve ever met was from mainland China, go figure

Weird!

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

shocking

edit: of course she had the good sense to leave China as soon as she could and her best friend was Taiwanese so who knows really

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
i like chinese food

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

orientals are truly inscrutable

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
i like their tiny little trees

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

you can't buy ubereats with a self managed super fund

Name of my first album.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

rude, VERY rude all of you !!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

JBP posted:

Why not?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Graic Gabtar posted:

you try to tell people today that there was a government backed pyramid scheme called 'pyramid' that blessed us with a 'pyramid' tax and and for some reason they look at you funny

Cool, what's it called today?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Cool, what's it called today?

Clueees

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Oct 1, 2019

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i am beholden by my ancestors (who were chinese-jewish-british during the height of white australia and our family is scarred by it to this day) to say this over and over

china is currently hosed, but please do not transfer your anger at the nation of china toward chinese people currently in australia. yes a small minority may be spies, but the majority have come to australia for a reason, they love it, they have no desire to harm it, and they are fantastic people. also you, personally, can't visually tell the difference between a tourist from beijing and a 5th-generation chinese-australian who feels no loyalty to the chinese government and is immune to their propaganda. asian-australians are some of the kindest and most freedom-loving people i've ever met. please don't succumb to the propaganda in australia, which is just as strong as the stuff coming from china, trying to make you hate asian people

fauna fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Oct 1, 2019

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
i'm not even accusing anyone itt of asiaphobia, you've all been very well-behaved, just reminding you that the propaganda is actively working and you need to recognise that and fight against it. thanks friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
If they have a Bintang shirt on I reckon I could make a good guess