Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Nice to see this finally confirmed: https://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-has-been-hiding-a-gay-couple-in-plain-sight-1838634202

Hopefully it will be more blatant and not the "kid friendly" subtext cop out that kid focused animated shows sometimes do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
So the weird comedy alien side characters are a gay couple. Should we clap? That's cool and all but like, make a main and let's be honest human character gay and then it might be worth more than a passing comment.

I'm reminded of hearing about the MCU having its first gay character and its 'some guy in a caps therapy session'. Real big step, huh.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ShineDog posted:

So the weird comedy alien side characters are a gay couple. Should we clap? That's cool and all but like, make a main and let's be honest human character gay and then it might be worth more than a passing comment.

I'm reminded of hearing about the MCU having its first gay character and its 'some guy in a caps therapy session'. Real big step, huh.

At least Valkyrie will explicitly be shown as gay in "Thor: Love & Thunder", with a focus on looking for a queen given she's the ruler of New Asgard. Said focus making it hard to imagine it'll be swept under the carpet in editing or ditched for time, like previous examples. I imagine there's a good chance Ms. Marvel will be depicted as gay once that first step is taken too, given that she seemed to have a relationship with Maria Rambeau. Presuming they don't tank (which it's hard to imagine they would), it'll probably become more common in Disney properties in general.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 30, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

tsob posted:

I imagine there's a good chance Ms. Marvel will be depicted as gay once that first step is taken too

this would indeed be an interesting direction worth exploring

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ShineDog posted:

I guess it's sort of a step forward, which is nice. Even though it kind of pales in comparison to Steven Universe doing this:

https://www.pride.com/stevenuniverse/2018/7/11/steven-universe-makes-lgbt-history-same-sex-wedding

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lucasfilm stop with these distractions and confirm the real gay ship already

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

site posted:

this would indeed be an interesting direction worth exploring

I'll be honest, it's not something I picked up on at all in the movie when I saw it; but I'm pretty dense when it comes to relationships in general, so I don't find that surprising. I did see a lot of people talking about that read on the characters after the film though, and looking back on it, it makes sense so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intention and they just weren't allowed to really lean in to it and instead had to keep it subtle. Maria Rambeau is certainly the closest the film came to giving Carol a love interest, and while I wouldn't be shocked if Disney decided to play her straight, there's enough there and enough people came to that conclusion that I also wouldn't be surprised if they went with the decision to portray her as gay either.

site posted:

Lucasfilm stop with these distractions and confirm the real gay ship already

Does Lando own a private barge or something?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

tsob posted:

I'll be honest, it's not something I picked up on at all in the movie when I saw it; but I'm pretty dense when it comes to relationships in general, so I don't find that surprising. I did see a lot of people talking about that read on the characters after the film though, and looking back on it, it makes sense so I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intention and they just weren't allowed to really lean in to it and instead had to keep it subtle. Maria Rambeau is certainly the closest the film came to giving Carol a love interest, and while I wouldn't be shocked if Disney decided to play her straight, there's enough there and enough people came to that conclusion that I also wouldn't be surprised if they went with the decision to portray her as gay either.

Oh lol, sorry the joke is ms marvel is a different character than captain marvel, so making her gay too in the mcu would be fun

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Let’s get real. As soon as they make every character in every universe wall to wall gay y’all will start moaning about the lack of trans superjedis.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

site posted:

Oh lol, sorry the joke is ms marvel is a different character than captain marvel, so making her gay too in the mcu would be fun

Oh right, sorry, didn't even realize it was a joke and completely forgot that Carol had ditched the Ms. Marvel moniker in favor of Captain Marvel, while bestowing it to Kamala Khan.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

High Lord Elbow posted:

Let’s get real. As soon as they make every character in every universe wall to wall gay y’all will start moaning about the lack of trans superjedis.

just gonna go ahead and save this in a quote before you realize how problematic it is

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

site posted:

just gonna go ahead and save this in a quote before you realize how problematic it is

He has a history of saying poo poo just like it, he doesn’t care.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh, well, theres a button for that

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Bold to assume we need wall-to-wall gay characters before asking for trans super-jedis.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Bold to assume we need wall-to-wall gay characters before asking for trans super-jedis.

With the Star Wars universe you could take trans to a whole different level.

In Star Wars 9 Rey is able to redeem Kylo Ren by revealing and helping to grant her inner desire to transition into a female... Wookie.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

So it sounds like Resistance S2 is gonna be 19 episodes and lead right into Rise of Skywa

High Lord Elbow posted:

Necrotizer F posted:

With the Star Wars universe you could take trans to a whole different level.

In Star Wars 9 Rey is able to redeem Kylo Ren by revealing and helping to grant her inner desire to transition into a female... Wookie.

:yikes:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

Yep, that would be a special level of twitter drama.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Here in the real world gender dyphoria is one of the more horrifying birth defects. I can't really imagine how awful it must be to have been born the wrong sex. Presumably in times past people suffering from this had no choice but to simply endure that special Hell. Now we have procedures that can correct the situation and allow people to be the gender they were supposed to be.

Still, as technology and science advances, so will our ability to modify our own physical forms with surgery and genetic manipulation.

I remember bits from Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan showing people "wearing" traits of dolphins.

In a universe populated with such a diverse spread of species as the Star Wars universe is, I could legitimately see people coming to decide that they really, truly should have been a Wookie or Ewok or something. I could also see members of non-human species choosing some black market method to transitioning to being a human, especially under the Empire or First Order because humans get treated much better there.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The ex imperial dude in the Aftermath books is gay and in a relationship, he's also a savage drunk and a top notch badass.

"Wendig’s Aftermath trilogy actually has an openly gay main character — a first for Star Wars.
Sinjir Rath Velus is a former Imperial loyalty officer, who joins the New Republic. He’s an alcoholic, a cynic, and a skilled torturer. He also happens to have no interest whatsoever in women, as we learn in Aftermath, the first book of the trilogy. In the sequel Aftermath: Life Debt, Sinjir finds a boyfriend in New Republic slicer Conder Kyl." - Medium.com 2017

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Oct 1, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Necrotizer F posted:

Here in the real world gender dyphoria is one of the more horrifying birth defects. I can't really imagine how awful it must be to have been born the wrong sex. Presumably in times past people suffering from this had no choice but to simply endure that special Hell. Now we have procedures that can correct the situation and allow people to be the gender they were supposed to be.

Still, as technology and science advances, so will our ability to modify our own physical forms with surgery and genetic manipulation.

I remember bits from Warren Ellis's Transmetropolitan showing people "wearing" traits of dolphins.

In a universe populated with such a diverse spread of species as the Star Wars universe is, I could legitimately see people coming to decide that they really, truly should have been a Wookie or Ewok or something. I could also see members of non-human species choosing some black market method to transitioning to being a human, especially under the Empire or First Order because humans get treated much better there.

Yeah nah, that's pretty hosed and not at all like the trans experience.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Bib Fortuna was the first gay star war man.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Rocksicles posted:

The ex imperial dude in the Aftermath books is gay and in a relationship, he's also a savage drunk and a top notch badass.

"Wendig’s Aftermath trilogy actually has an openly gay main character — a first for Star Wars.
Sinjir Rath Velus is a former Imperial loyalty officer, who joins the New Republic. He’s an alcoholic, a cynic, and a skilled torturer. He also happens to have no interest whatsoever in women, as we learn in Aftermath, the first book of the trilogy. In the sequel Aftermath: Life Debt, Sinjir finds a boyfriend in New Republic slicer Conder Kyl." - Medium.com 2017

Wexley's aunts are gay also, but that's in the books. Plenty of representation there (the main character in Alphabet Squadron is bi), but that's hardly out front enough to make a major impact. It's probably even less so than this representation in Resistance.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Wexley's aunts are gay also, but that's in the books. Plenty of representation there (the main character in Alphabet Squadron is bi), but that's hardly out front enough to make a major impact. It's probably even less so than this representation in Resistance.

Totally forgot about that Aunt Esmelle, that's a two fer Chuck Wendig isn't getting any love for.

I looked it up and it seems like half of the Old rebublic female characters are bi

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The From a Certain Point of View short stories brought back Bea Arthur's character from the Holiday Special, and gave her a same-sex partner. Thought that was nice :)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah nah, that's pretty hosed and not at all like the trans experience.

In what ways?

I'm a CiS-gender straight white male living in the American South. I don't know any trans people (at least none who are open about it).

So, I'd really like to learn more and correct the mistakes I have in my perceptions.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Gender dysphoria causes actual mental anguish and distress and isn't akin to cyberpunk transhumanism where you body mod yourself just because you feel like it at all and quite frankly those kinds of "im a dolphin" stuff that is meant to be amusing is used as transphobic dehumanization rhetoric

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

Gender dysphoria causes actual mental anguish and distress and isn't akin to cyberpunk transhumanism where you body mod yourself just because you feel like it at all and quite frankly those kinds of "im a dolphin" stuff that is meant to be amusing is used as transphobic dehumanization rhetoric

People have different types of dysphoria though. Regardless of the sci-fi bad humour, for some people it's not exactly inaccurate.

Necrotizer F posted:

In what ways?

I'm a CiS-gender straight white male living in the American South. I don't know any trans people (at least none who are open about it).

So, I'd really like to learn more and correct the mistakes I have in my perceptions.

Don't make jokes about it, folks aren't ready and most never will be.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Necrotizer F posted:

In what ways?

Trans people aren't born in the wrong bodies. We're just assigned a gender incongruent with how we feel, based on our body. If gender as a construct ceased to exist, so would gender dysphoria. Medical procedures to 'correct' or reassign physical characteristics and bring them more in line with society's understanding of a trans person's gender only exist to make people (including ourselves) recognise us as our gender easier.

Rocksicles posted:

People have different types of dysphoria though. Regardless of the sci-fi bad humour, for some people it's not exactly inaccurate.

Don't make jokes about it, folks aren't ready and most never will be.

This also has to be balanced against the knowledge that people can often have bad, and harmful understandings of themselves for a multitude of reasons like mental illness or for religious or ideological purposes.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 1, 2019

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rocksicles posted:

i'm not saying trans folk dont often want srs, personally i would like one day to be able to afford to do it. but playing up that sort of stuff is a common tactic used among transphobes. like, i dont really think ellis had attacking trans people in mind when he was writing transmetropolitan but in 2019 that sort of thing has devolved into transphobic "identifying as an attack helicopter type memes", and personally i think its better if cis people stay away from making such generalizations in the first place, or thinking its okay to do so even though they lack understanding of gender dysphoria and living as a trans person. even with good intentions if a cis person starts talking like that warning lights start flashing in my head to stay cautious

site fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 1, 2019

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
And the dolphin thing in particular was directly used as a transphobic plotline in South Park too.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh, see i didnt know that, thats a double yikes

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rocksicles posted:

Sinjir is legit my favorite EU character of the new canon, and I hope we haven't seen the last of him now that Wendig is out as a Star Wars writer. Bring him into Resistance, a new show, let some other author play around with him, whatever. There's plenty of potential for greatness with him, he's so much fun while also having levels of true darkness in him.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

i'm not saying trans folk dont often want srs, personally i would like one day to be able to afford to do it. but playing up that sort of stuff is a common tactic used among transphobes. like, i dont really think ellis had attacking trans people in mind when he was writing transmetropolitan but in 2019 that sort of thing has devolved into transphobic "identifying as an attack helicopter type memes", and personally i think its better if cis people stay away from making such generalizations in the first place, or thinking its okay to do so even though they lack understanding of gender dysphoria and living as a trans person. even with good intentions if a cis person starts talking like that warning lights start flashing in my head to stay cautious

I'm not familiar with the book or the memes. But many people who aren't transphobic are still uncultured in in how it effects people, and how to discuss it without coming off as not ignorant from a lack of knowledge but ignorant from a lack of giving a gently caress. You could throw rock at a crowd and hit a person who doesn't know the difference between body dysphoria and gender dysphoria. Everyone deserves to be happy, we are all in this shithole together.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

thrawn527 posted:

Sinjir is legit my favorite EU character of the new canon, and I hope we haven't seen the last of him now that Wendig is out as a Star Wars writer. Bring him into Resistance, a new show, let some other author play around with him, whatever. There's plenty of potential for greatness with him, he's so much fun while also having levels of true darkness in him.

Agreed, very well written character a lot of depth for Star Wars, especially in a action trilogy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rocksicles posted:

I'm not familiar with the book or the memes. But many people who aren't transphobic are still uncultured in in how it effects people, and how to discuss it without coming off as not ignorant from a lack of knowledge but ignorant from a lack of giving a gently caress. You could throw rock at a crowd and hit a person who doesn't know the difference between body dysphoria and gender dysphoria. Everyone deserves to be happy, we are all in this shithole together.

well, nazis dont, but yes...that's why when the poster asked...we explained. im uhhh, not really sure why youre quoting me and saying this

e: on the one hand i also envy not experiencing so much internet transphobia that you dont have familiarity with that type of transphobic language, but on the other so much of my trans community connections are from the internet. cutting that out would be a huge loss for me :/

site fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 1, 2019

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

thrawn527 posted:

They should bring Wendig back, his firing was bullshit.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Doctor Aphra (comics) is gay, and I hope we get to see a live action version of her. She would fit right in with the Mandalorian set.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Oh poo poo maybe that's who Ming-Na Wen is playing.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Alpha is my #1 character I want to see make the jump from extended to the main star wars stuff. I really hoped she'd show up in Rebels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Moon Slayer posted:

Oh poo poo maybe that's who Ming-Na Wen is playing.

Doubt it, Vader murdered her in one of her comics because she ratted him out to the Emperor for a few things.