Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Carbon dioxide posted:

What's crazy to me is that alt-right edgelords are still posting memes and poo poo about how last season was a 'failure' caused by the Doctor being a woman.

Because nobody was watching it (except for those record numbers of viewers)! And the episodes were all bad (except that most of them were critically lauded)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cleretic posted:

Because nobody was watching it (except for those record numbers of viewers)! And the episodes were all bad (except that most of them were critically lauded)!

Yeah but if you don't count the record ratings and the high appreciation index figures, then things don't look so rosy do they! :tinfoil:

As I'm sure others have mentioned, it's particularly irritating because there are quite a few issues with the last season that definitely need improvement (like the editing) but those tend not to get discussed or really analyzed much because of dumbshits who are super mad because apparently the core defining feature of the Doctor for all these decades wasn't the sense of adventure, the empathy for close friends, the championing of moral causes or the rejection of hate but was actually all about... having a penis?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it's me, the cretin who's been watching doctor who for decades and never engaged with it on any level beyond clever man fight the aliens and then a thing blow up

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

Dabir posted:

it's me, the cretin who's been watching doctor who for decades and never engaged with it on any level beyond clever man fight the aliens and then a thing blow up

Even at that basic level, it's bizarre and depressing that so many people think the sky is falling because that description got changed from "clever man" to "clever woman".

Doctor Who is quite possibly the best-placed show to gender-swap the lead actor, since the Doctor's gender is irrelevant in 99% of episodes and the show has a simple in-universe mechanism for explaining the change. Plus we had 3 seasons of Lady Master for people to acclimatise to the inevitable change. And yet people still lost their minds about it :sigh:.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Voting Floater posted:

Even at that basic level, it's bizarre and depressing that so many people think the sky is falling because that description got changed from "clever man" to "clever woman".

Doctor Who is quite possibly the best-placed show to gender-swap the lead actor, since the Doctor's gender is irrelevant in 99% of episodes and the show has a simple in-universe mechanism for explaining the change. Plus we had 3 seasons of Lady Master for people to acclimatise to the inevitable change. And yet people still lost their minds about it :sigh:.

It was utterly ridiculous. The basic premise of the Doctor is that the Doctor is an alien from Gallifrey who travels through time and space with one or more companions. Whether or not the Doctor has a cock is completely immaterial to the premise and it's so stupid that people lost their minds.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Voting Floater posted:

The older I get, the more I come to believe that you can't negotiate with misogynists. Maybe they'll change their ways, and great, if they do, maybe not, probably not, but you can't talk them out of it, or bargain them out of it, because it's not a position they entered into rationally in the first place. So you just need to accept that there will be a lot of shitheads out there, and not center your own actions or behavior around trying to appease them. They can :dealwithit:.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Voting Floater posted:

I know of people still pissed off at there being a female Master.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Timby posted:

It was utterly ridiculous. The basic premise of the Doctor is that the Doctor is an alien from Gallifrey who travels through time and space with one or more companions. Whether or not the Doctor has a cock is completely immaterial to the premise and it's so stupid that people lost their minds.
We don't know she doesn't! :-P

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Voting Floater posted:

change, my dear. and it's FAR TOO SOON.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Someone itt a long while ago put it perfectly by saying 'the doctor is an immortal shape shifting alien who makes a policy of transgressing every norm and stepping over every boundary, why should gender be the one hard limit?', and they were quite right.

The Doctor is a set of values, and those values are unisex.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fuckin’ yikes.

https://twitter.com/thecyberdevil/status/1178214314219638784

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

P.S The answer is "No." but I will also accept,"No you loving psycho, Jesus Christ!"

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/liquidparanoia/status/1178222104501575680

*sips tea*

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I know one forum where they'd happily agree to this as long as the person they were killing was from the new series.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1178446060810883073?s=20

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwMHpstY-Ak

Oh boy, here we go

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
My stepdaughter loves Jodie and after a few years of cosplaying as characters from My Hero Academia she's going as Thirteen for Halloween, down to actually spending her own money for Jodie's sonic screwdriver instead of just borrowing mine.

The loving haters can loving gently caress the gently caress loving right the loving gently caress off.

I have that embroidered on a tea towel at home.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CobiWann posted:

My stepdaughter loves Jodie and after a few years of cosplaying as characters from My Hero Academia she's going as Thirteen for Halloween, down to actually spending her own money for Jodie's sonic screwdriver instead of just borrowing mine.
:3:

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

CobiWann posted:

The loving haters can loving gently caress the gently caress loving right the loving gently caress off.

I love stories of kids getting into Doctor Who, because that's how the show is gonna keep going for years and years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The person is John Nathan Turner isn't it?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

That trailer is I N S A N E

I can't believe something so wierd and good is official and not a fan edit, and I mean that in the best way.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It always weirds me out when I see young Colin in costume but unshaven.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

CobiWann posted:

I have that embroidered on a tea towel at home.

This is adorable, and as it was mentioned earlier really makes me happy for the future of the fan base. Y'know, once a certain vocal portion fucks right on off (dies, you know they won't give up watching with breath in their lungs to complain.

Also, I want that towel. A cursory google hasn't found me much, was that purchased or made for you? I may have to commission one if it's the latter.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

McGann posted:

This is adorable, and as it was mentioned earlier really makes me happy for the future of the fan base. Y'know, once a certain vocal portion fucks right on off (dies, you know they won't give up watching with breath in their lungs to complain.

Also, I want that towel. A cursory google hasn't found me much, was that purchased or made for you? I may have to commission one if it's the latter.

Sadly, it's a joke based off of a Peter Capaldi line from The Thick of It. Warning, massive swearing incoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mss7ZNIEhfo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

CobiWann posted:

Sadly, it's a joke based off of a Peter Capaldi line from The Thick of It. Warning, massive swearing incoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mss7ZNIEhfo

What is it with Doctor Who actors always being able to tread the line of "I'm not sure if that's spectacular acting, or if there's just a camera following them around chronicling their average weekday"

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Vinylshadow posted:

What is it with Doctor Who actors always being able to tread the line of "I'm not sure if that's spectacular acting, or if there's just a camera following them around chronicling their average weekday"

Well it all started with a man named Tom Baker...

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

One week from today

https://twitter.com/lukespillane/status/1179351293023916032?s=20

Looks good

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

I had to check what Mission to the Unknown was, and now I'm entirely, 100% on board with this. This is kinda the perfect way for them to handle this one.

For other people who don't know off the top of their heads, Mission to the Unknown was the only one-part story of Classic Who (which also means it's one of the completely lost ones), and the only story to have no appearances by the Doctor, the TARDIS, or any companions. So it's basically the only story that you theoretically could replace by just re-shooting the whole thing without any big recasting problems.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
the trailer shows an admirable effort on the part of the people involved in the project, and i don't want to come across as slamming on them because it's absolutely cool to see people putting in that kind of work, but it also confirms my belief while listening to the The Daleks' Master Plan that those creatures, especially on a cheap 60s BBC budget (or, here, a student project budget) are better left to the imagination in terms of how they infect and transform their victims. they're frightening when you listen to them and hear the effects and the implications, but once you actually see it on that level it becomes extra silly (i know "extra silly" is the show's bread and butter but like, for as cheap and silly as they are, something like the original Cybermen are friggin' creepy when you take their concept, voice, and everything all together. the Varga are just silly)

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

They seem to do it all the time but I wish they were a bit less dramatic with the trailers. Don't really need the Inception horn for a Doctor Who reconstruction, lads.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So when is this actually airing?

EDIT: never mind, the 9th

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You can see fingerprints and handmarks on the black Dalek :vince:

I mean that in a good way, you can see the sheer effort that went in. I'd actually love to see a version of this in standard def too, as it looks a little oddly too clean and crisp (what an odd thing to be "complaining" about)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I love, love, love the fact that they did a 1:1 recreation of every element, right down to props and VFX. Even on a student budget, a half century later they could have made it look so much "better" and more modern.

:golfclap:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
https://twitter.com/BBCCiN/status/1180028546183512064

Because, as we all know, charity singles and Doctor Who are a match made in heaven!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cleretic posted:

https://twitter.com/BBCCiN/status/1180028546183512064

Because, as we all know, charity singles and Doctor Who are a match made in heaven!

"Doctor in dis Dress". :v:
Preferably with lyrics telling those pissbabies to get over their magic, face-changing, time-travelling, space wizard, being a woman.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 4, 2019

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Sylvester McCoy’s got a fantastic photo shoot in the Guardian today. :kimchi:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The photos own and the article rules too, especially the last line which I'll leave you all to read yourself.

However, this section was too good not to quote:

quote:

In 1972, after touring the working men’s clubs of Britain, the roadshow received an invitation to perform in Israel, where they alarmed and bewildered audiences for a week. “They thought they’d booked the Glen Campbell Roadshow,” says McCoy. “They eventually forgave us.”

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The one where it's over his face. I just can't. We dont deserve him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Like Tom Baker, he really has become The Doctor IRL. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

Like Tom Baker, he really has become The Doctor IRL. :allears:

Years ago, I run into Sylvester McCoy at one of my favourite Chinese restaurants on my birthday. He was leaving just as I was entering, and he was walking exactly like he did when leaving the tent in Greatest Show in the Galaxy. :3: