Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zwille posted:

I was hopeful for a moment but 25 just seems to be the default :v:

e: I sent feedback to Apple anyway so let's see if they fix it. Odd oversight.
I think it was a day behind when I checked yesterday past midnight like now (i.e. showing 24 when should’ve been 25), maybe the widget just takes its drat time updating the date icon. Like searching around I’m seeing some Apple screenshots showing correct date on both, from June at WWDC and a more recent one showing a (non 25th) September date. And Ars story about 13.1 being out has a picture of an iPad with the widget date a few days behind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Zwille posted:

I was hopeful for a moment but 25 just seems to be the default :v:

e: I sent feedback to Apple anyway so let's see if they fix it. Odd oversight.

I had the hilarious thought that, maybe, just maybe, the icon number was hard coded to change according to California time but I’ve set my region to Germany and it still said 26.

Edit: Wait, it is the 26th in California right now. They are 9 hours back from right now, did you by chance make that screenshot before 9h today?

Edit 2: You said you sent feedback. Does that mean you’re using the iPadOS beta? I deleted my beta profile and pulled 13.1 from Settings fwiw.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Sep 26, 2019

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I checked and I took that screenshot at 11:00 AM apparently. Had an idea, checked my phone and the widget there is showing the correct date, but the iPad was still showing the 25th, so I rebooted just now... and that fixed it. Weird. :confused: At least it's solved now! Sorry for the hubbub.

Regarding the feedback thing: No, I'm not on any beta this time around and haven't ever been on said iPad. I just googled around and found an Apple site that allowed to give feedback on products. Someone on SA mentioned you should give feedback if you find bugs and can't solve them, so that's what I did.

the site in question: https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Arcade is cool and there seems to be a ton of quality games on there but I wish they wouldn't all steal audio focus.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Endless Mike posted:

Arcade is cool and there seems to be a ton of quality games on there but I wish they wouldn't all steal audio focus.

Grindstone not only steals audio focus when you start it up but it is constantly stealing it back. I deleted it because of this so I dunno if they fixed it but it was literally impossible to listen to anything other than the game music.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I’m using the mouse on iPad, and liking it a lot, except my scroll wheel is inverted. Is there a way to flip this or is that just the way it’s gonna be?

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Speaking of games and audio, devs need to come to an agreement on what controls sound effects: the volume slider or the silence button.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

AdmiralViscen posted:

I’m using the mouse on iPad, and liking it a lot, except my scroll wheel is inverted. Is there a way to flip this or is that just the way it’s gonna be?

Thats how scrolling works on Macs, altho changeable on them. I actually use reversed on Windows now because I'm just use to it. It's honestly the LOGICAL way scrolling would work.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

NO

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ddogflex posted:

Thats how scrolling works on Macs, altho changeable on them. I actually use reversed on Windows now because I'm just use to it. It's honestly the LOGICAL way scrolling would work.

Yep.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wrong thread

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I like how it's called Australian scrolling on Chromebooks because it's upside down.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AdmiralViscen posted:

The iPad Thread - You’re Scrolling It Wrong

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I couldn't get scrolling to work with my Magic Mouse when I paired it with my iPad Pro. Is that just how it is or was that a problem on my end?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Does anyone have wisdom on preventing battery drain on the 10.5” pro?

It will go from full to empty in less than three hours, even with the screen totally off. Google-fu is weak on this, just suggests rebooting. I even tried Apple support, who did a remote battery diagnostic and proclaimed the device totally fine.

When I try to use the thing when not plugged in, I get 1-4 hours from 100% to dead.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

It will go from full to empty in less than three hours, even with the screen totally off. Google-fu is weak on this, just suggests rebooting. I even tried Apple support, who did a remote battery diagnostic and proclaimed the device totally fine.

When I try to use the thing when not plugged in, I get 1-4 hours from 100% to dead.
What does the battery stuff in Settings show? And have you updated to 13.1.1? It mentions a battery drain fix in the notes.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Ultimate Mango posted:

Obligatory backup+restore advice.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ultimate Mango posted:

Hey battery frustrated friend. I have the same problem although not 1-4 hours but yeah my 10.5 loving runs the battery down fiercely, worse if the pencil and keyboard are going. I’ve done everything I can including wipe and reset. I just live with it now, Genius Bar diagnostic on the battery was fine so :shrug:

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang
It probably isn't a single app for you but it took me a loonnnngggg time to discover that, once opened, iMPC Pro (a music production app) would sit happily burning the battery in the background unless I force quit it every single time.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Am I missing something or can you not select a wifi network from the pulldown menu in ios12? Do you have to go into settings every time? I travel for work and am constantly connecting to new networks, its not exactly a huge deal but I feel like I have to be missing something

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

greasyhands posted:

Am I missing something or can you not select a wifi network from the pulldown menu in ios12? Do you have to go into settings every time? I travel for work and am constantly connecting to new networks, its not exactly a huge deal but I feel like I have to be missing something

Long-press the wifi toggle

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Clark Nova posted:

Long-press the wifi toggle

Yeah that doesn't do anything... This is a 2018 ipad pro if it matters

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That's an iOS 13 feature i think?

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Anyone have a good recommendation for a Bluetooth mouse to use with the iPad, not counting the magic mouse/trackpad?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vintimus Prime posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a Bluetooth mouse to use with the iPad, not counting the magic mouse/trackpad?

I really like the Logitech MX Anywhere 2S. It does that multi-device thing with Bluetooth and/or a dongle. It has no dongle storage though. It’s also like, a normal size mouse.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Last Chance posted:

That's an iOS 13 feature i think?
Yeah, and long overdue.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i guess i don't hop around multiple wi-fi networks in the same place enough every day to care

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's funny is that while I had the same complaint about Bluetooth devices, it's actually MORE effort to do it the new way than it is to go settings -> bluetooth

Old way:
Settings (one input), Bluetooth (two inputs), device select (three inputs)

New way:
Swipe down (one input), long press bluetooth (two inputs), long press bluetooth (three inputs), select device (four inputs)

I think it just feels less clunky because you're not launching an app to do it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I’m a fan of the new setup although I got around it before by asking Siri to open wifi or Bluetooth settings directly. Wifi in iOS has always been something of a shitshow for me since it flat out refuses to switch networks when it should. It became less frustrating to just rename all the APs separately and manually switch.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

What's funny is that while I had the same complaint about Bluetooth devices, it's actually MORE effort to do it the new way than it is to go settings -> bluetooth

Old way:
Settings (one input), Bluetooth (two inputs), device select (three inputs)

New way:
Swipe down (one input), long press bluetooth (two inputs), long press bluetooth (three inputs), select device (four inputs)

I think it just feels less clunky because you're not launching an app to do it.

Old way meant I had to leave the app I was using, new way means I don't have to.

Swipe up to go home > settings > bluetooth > device select > swipe up to app switcher > choose app I was using

It's much better.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 1, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Last Chance posted:

i guess i don't hop around multiple wi-fi networks in the same place enough every day to care
Yeahhh actually I probably wouldn’t use it much...but when I do it’ll be way better than before!

FCKGW posted:

Old way meant I had to leave the app I was using, new way means I don't have to.

Swipe up to go home > settings > bluetooth > device select > swipe up to app switcher > choose app I was using

It's much better.
Yeah it’s six steps if you’re already doing something, and I just realized why I even use the WiFi selector on my iPad at all. Most of the time it’s just to connect to my phone when I’m away from a known network. Course I think iOS 13 can auto start tethering from the iPad when disconnected so that’s a moot usage scenario now.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Pretty bummed with ios13 so far. I was doing a simple google search and it froze up my safari browser. This is kind of odd but not that big a deal, so I force closed it. Well it purged all of my open tabs, something that has never happened to me in a decade of iPad ownership. I had some stuff in there I really wanted, so I did an iCloud restore, but that restored everything except my fuckin tabs.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Pretty bummed with ios13 so far. I was doing a simple google search and it froze up my safari browser. This is kind of odd but not that big a deal, so I force closed it. Well it purged all of my open tabs, something that has never happened to me in a decade of iPad ownership. I had some stuff in there I really wanted, so I did an iCloud restore, but that restored everything except my fuckin tabs.

There are some bugs. But just to make sure, could it have just opened a new safari window? Imo it’s not obvious when it happens unless you tap the safari dock icon when safari is on the screen.

Edit: oh you did a restore, that almost assuredly cleared them. But there’s still a history somewhere probably, esp if you iCloud keep track of tabs.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I’m not sure how I feel about the new window management. On one hand, having that functionality is awesome and I use it regularly now. On the other hand, the gestures and everything feel really unintuitive and hard to learn. Sometimes I just want MacOS traffic lights, even if they probably wouldn’t make sense on an iPad screen.

Also, is there any way to open an app to the side if it isn’t already in the dock? It feels really awkward to close an app, open the 2nd app, close that app, open the first app, and then swipe to put the 2nd app to the side.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

mediaphage posted:

There are some bugs. But just to make sure, could it have just opened a new safari window? Imo it’s not obvious when it happens unless you tap the safari dock icon when safari is on the screen.

Edit: oh you did a restore, that almost assuredly cleared them. But there’s still a history somewhere probably, esp if you iCloud keep track of tabs.

The restore was from yesterday’s backup, so I don’t know why I didn’t get my tabs as of yesterday. That’s what happens every other time I restore an apple product.

I’m pretty sure it didn’t open a new window. It froze, I force closed it (using the home button, not a gesture) and then reopened the browser from the home screen with a single tap.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

The restore was from yesterday’s backup, so I don’t know why I didn’t get my tabs as of yesterday. That’s what happens every other time I restore an apple product.

I’m pretty sure it didn’t open a new window. It froze, I force closed it (using the home button, not a gesture) and then reopened the browser from the home screen with a single tap.

I’m not saying that it definitely opened a new window, just that I’ve had it happen and it’s impossible to discover unless you seek out the window management.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I just tried to repeat the process and no way there was multiple windows. When there are multiples, doing the entries I did on-screen pushes away all the other active apps and gives you a presentation of only safari instances. That’s not what I saw before.

I was able to get the iPad to force close all my tabs again, though, just by clicking around normally. It didn’t open a second window, it fully closed my old one and delivered me a blank one as my only active instance. This time I clicked “reopen closed windows” in the top right and my previous instance was still alive there. I guess it would have been there before too, if I hadn’t restored. But it was definitely closed out which is something I did not do, either time.

I still don’t understand why a restore wouldn’t put me back in my browser state from yesterday evening. That’s the whole point of a restore.

Edit - yea, to do a recovery you have to open the app manager, then tap safari again, this shows you any active instances. Then you have to click the little “restore closed windows” in the top right and find what you actually want in there. I am able to repeat this. I have no idea why my primary window is being deposited into this closed window area, or why this status would reach backwards in time to a prior restore point. Oh well, lesson learned I guess.

Edit2 - ok I guess what I did was force close the app intentionally because of the freeze, and then when I opened Safari again, it opened a new window instead of restoring my instance. I get that now. That’s really bad UI design IMO, there should be separate actions for force closing the app and closing one instance of the app. And if there are no active instances, it should restore to your last one instead of giving you a blank slate. At least now I get that. I still feel like a restore should have solved my problem. And if safari tabs are going to be kept in some volatile state outside the normal restore process, then my recently closed windows should be there too! That little area was blank after a restore.

Edit3 - so if I close all instances of safari... if I tap safari from the home screen, it actually does restore my old window. But if I close all instances of safari and then tap safari from the open app carousel, it opens a blank window and deposits my last session into the closed window area. Stupid.

Edit4 - I am actually able to get both the “new window” and “last instance” behavior when tapping safari from the open app carousel after closing all instances of safari. I’m doing exactly the same thing every time and getting both results at about a 70-30 split.

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 2, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I understand that it’s too late now but … why don’t you use bookmarks to save websites you need access to at some point later on?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I do, sometimes.

Like, I want to order some additional school photos for my kid but I don’t need that time-sensitive portal clogging up my bookmarks. But I don’t want to have to go remember to delete it from my bookmarks, either. Maybe I want to do it in a couple of days. It’s kind of what tabs are for.

Tab management kind of sucks in general now. If I want to re-sort a tab it will just turn into this popover thing that floats around on my screen. I know how to turn it into a split view but how do I just make it a tab again? You need to hold the tab for 2 seconds to re-sort it but if you accidentally hold it for 3 seconds then it turns into this other thing.

Edit - Actually I guess this floating thing is invoked by moving your finger a bit too high and dropping the tab onto the upper bar instead of into the tab row? It’s easy to do and I can’t figure out how to put it back. Or even to close it. It seems like I can close it by docking it down at the bottom, going back to the home screen, and clicking safari again? What if I want to open Safari but I don’t want to close it lol. I feel like my grandma.

Oh and messing around with this little pop-over thing, even on a plain google.com window, forces all my tabs to reload even though I have an iPad Pro 10.5. Does anyone have a video that explains what this thing is supposed to be doing for me?

AdmiralViscen fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AdmiralViscen posted:

Edit2 - ok I guess what I did was force close the app intentionally because of the freeze, and then when I opened Safari again, it opened a new window instead of restoring my instance.

Yes! This is the part that I find frustrating. It happens periodically, probably according to some rules I don’t know.