Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Does anyone have any advice for escaping crucifix besides don't let them get there in the first place? I've been sort of rotating towards my trapped arm and trying to snag a triangle or at least some sort of leverage with my feet and their arms head shoulder area but nothing that I could work as a standard "escape".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

flashman posted:

Does anyone have any advice for escaping crucifix besides don't let them get there in the first place? I've been sort of rotating towards my trapped arm and trying to snag a triangle or at least some sort of leverage with my feet and their arms head shoulder area but nothing that I could work as a standard "escape".

The guy who escapes my crucifix does it with a combination of shrimping and limp arming

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
ABC - Always Be Crustaceaning

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 squats
10km Run

Every day.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

What is "40 minutes specific training" that is separate from drilling? Positional sparing?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Here everyone enjoy the incredibly stupid move I was talking about the other day

https://www.facebook.com/NYCombatSambo/videos/849285968806772/

Oh nice so like a straitjacket* -> breaststroke choke combo'd with a(n outside?) cradle hold. Quite different from what I had in mind before -- I interpreted the "reverse arm triangle" beginning as the arm-in NS choke (which I've heard called "reverse arm triangle" as well!),

"Peppermill" seems like a good name, and it looks horrible. Thanks I like it!

*or at least I learned that first motion, walking their elbow across their centerline with your hips, as a position/maneuver called straitjacket or barbed wire; it could also be a shoulder submission depending on their flexibility. Does anyone else call it that?

Terminology is hard :(

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Xguard86 posted:

100 push ups
100 sit ups
100 squats
10km Run

Every day.

One-Sub Man

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Apparently we have another white belt mat bully in our gym again. I loving hate this poo poo. The first time I rolled with this dude he attempted to smash me when he got on top. Grinding his loving elbows into my face while in my guard. I managed to get to his back and crank his face (I was mildly pissed). At the second open mat, I watch him smash someone that was maybe 120, fresh new white belt while smiling. Im thinking "you and I got next buddy". The dude attempts to bull rush me with his head but I got a nice little counter from the wizzer and got him on his side and then proceeded to setup a bow and arrow. His body literally made a 45 degree angle for a second.

Fast forward to last night and my wife is rolling with this dude and he drops his rear end on her head. She said she heard a crack in her skull and is worried about her neck. She says her neck feels fine today but is worried about him doing that with someone that is much smaller than she is. This is the same rear end in a top hat that wanted to get revenge on a black belt that beat his rear end.

Anyway, I loving hate mat bullies and honestly I probably shouldn't roll with him again at open mat hence I lose my poo poo and hurt him.

Tacos Al Pastor fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 1, 2019

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Did y'all lose your ability to talk after doing jiu jitsu? Why not tell the person to chill with the intensity or else he's going to hurt somebody?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've told people "chill" lots of times

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I have a new guy in the gym, did the same poo poo to me with elbows in the face. I wouldn't call him a bully, just a spaz who doesn't know better. Seems kinda dumb to be extra aggressive to a 300 lb blue belt when you're a week 1 white belt at 160 lbs but whatever. I just put him in Kesa and held him for the rest of the round. I didn't do enough pressure to tap him, just enough to make it really unfun to be underneath me.

Dude doing bonzai drops on female training partners should get a talking to though.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
We have a dude who constantly does that and I have just been using it as an opportunity to work on my escapes

My big annoyance was the dude is like "Just tap, I don't want to hurt you" when he was doing it and I had to be like "Bro its not gonna do anything"

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

We have a dude who constantly does that and I have just been using it as an opportunity to work on my escapes

My big annoyance was the dude is like "Just tap, I don't want to hurt you" when he was doing it and I had to be like "Bro its not gonna do anything"

The elbow thing or yokozunaing your neck?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hellblazer187 posted:

The elbow thing or yokozunaing your neck?

the elbow thing

He just smashes his elbow across your neck and puts all his weight on it and tenses up.

Its kind of annoying because its really hard to do anything when a guy is putting all his effort into holding you down, but, as I said, i am taking it as learning

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If you had to teach a white belt a single takedown for use in a gi BJJ tournament? Blast double?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Eustace posted:

Did y'all lose your ability to talk after doing jiu jitsu? Why not tell the person to chill with the intensity or else he's going to hurt somebody?

I have seen the black belts pull him aside before. Not sure what was said to him, but Im willing to bet it was something along those lines.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

If you had to teach a white belt a single takedown for use in a gi BJJ tournament? Blast double?

Not sure if its legal or not but a butterfly tominagi is surprisingly effective especially since a lot of white belts stand in a super defensive posture, I've used it successfully while rolling more than once

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

SHOAH NUFF posted:

O Soto gari?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I don't agree but my comment only pertains to moves that make people uncomfortable, not jumping on someones face :

For example, I think the guy putting forearms on the neck of someone he holds in side control is fine, don't lay flat on your back and don't have your neck open. If you're doing that, I'm going to take advantage and I should. Your job is to not place yourself in a position where I can do that. If I'm not draining you and making you miserable when you get in a bad position why would you want to escape? To me it feels like drilling bad instincts into the person that has to escape right the gently caress now insead of thinking "oh well, I've just given the points already so why force myself to get back into a good position when there's still time on the clock?"

My reasoning is "I've passed you and now I get to enjoy a spot where you have to work while I do just enough to keep my advantage".

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Odddzy posted:

I don't agree but my comment only pertains to moves that make people uncomfortable, not jumping on someones face :

For example, I think the guy putting forearms on the neck of someone he holds in side control is fine,

Yeah but in both cases we were talking about a guy who does it from inside of guard not side control. As I said, I don't mind it, but it can be frustrating to have a dude who just puts all his effort on pressing on you from inside guard and laying there.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

This is why god created the armbar. Or the balloon sweep.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Blast double for sure, aggression wins white belt medals

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Yeah but in both cases we were talking about a guy who does it from inside of guard not side control. As I said, I don't mind it, but it can be frustrating to have a dude who just puts all his effort on pressing on you from inside guard and laying there.

Ah sorry, didn't catch that part. I agree.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Put your feet on his hips.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

This is why god created the armbar. Or the balloon sweep.

Neon Belly posted:

Put your feet on his hips.

I wasn't asking for advice, but thanks

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Blast double for sure, aggression wins white belt medals

I was thinking that or a good snapdown, especially since I think failing at either takedown doesn’t put you ina terrible spot

HamsterPolice
Apr 17, 2016

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Depends on the weight division. Single leg if it's a lower weight, double leg if it's a higher weight.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Osoto Gari if it's gi

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Im gonna say Gi Drag. Singles/Doubles are great, but in white belt theres still a chance that youre gonna end up going against the guy who wrestled in highschool and college and you as a theoretical white belt are gonna get stuffed on the shot and its gonna be miserable..

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I was thinking that or a good snapdown, especially since I think failing at either takedown doesn’t put you ina terrible spot

Collar tie with sleeve grip, snap down to arm drag.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Osoto Gari if it's gi

Agreed and some of its variations including the pocket grip setup, the Georgian Grip setup, and the seoi nagi to osoto setup (3 of my favs).

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Apparently we have another white belt mat bully in our gym again. I loving hate this poo poo. The first time I rolled with this dude he attempted to smash me when he got on top. Grinding his loving elbows into my face while in my guard. I managed to get to his back and crank his face (I was mildly pissed). At the second open mat, I watch him smash someone that was maybe 120, fresh new white belt while smiling. Im thinking "you and I got next buddy". The dude attempts to bull rush me with his head but I got a nice little counter from the wizzer and got him on his side and then proceeded to setup a bow and arrow. His body literally made a 45 degree angle for a second.

Fast forward to last night and my wife is rolling with this dude and he drops his rear end on her head. She said she heard a crack in her skull and is worried about her neck. She says her neck feels fine today but is worried about him doing that with someone that is much smaller than she is. This is the same rear end in a top hat that wanted to get revenge on a black belt that beat his rear end.

Anyway, I loving hate mat bullies and honestly I probably shouldn't roll with him again at open mat hence I lose my poo poo and hurt him.

Talk to the instructor. They should be preventing that sort of poo poo. If they don't, then it might be a problem with the gym.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

We had a white belt who didn't know any better slam a kid to get out of a triangle twice today. Fun times....

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

hi liter posted:

Talk to the instructor. They should be preventing that sort of poo poo. If they don't, then it might be a problem with the gym.

Ive been meaning to pull him to the side and havent had a chance to do so yet.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

JaySB posted:

We had a white belt who didn't know any better slam a kid to get out of a triangle twice today. Fun times....

Literally what I want to tell the whitebelts on a constant basis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lol you should give these goobers the talk I give to little kids when they're being lovely training partners for each other:

"Do you know the best way to get good at judo? It's to practice with people who are good. And do you know how to make sure that you are practicing with good people? It's by helping your friends to get better at judo too! So we take turns and be careful to not hurt each other so that we can all get better together!"

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Yeah, I'm just thinking to avoid having to teach gi grip theory altogether. Bump hands, back up, fake high, blast low. If there's room to add, I'd add 2 on 1 grip break, armdrag to double to single, guard sit if it goes bad plus guillotine defense. Easy, powerful, not dangerous and no need to teach something different for no-gi.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Also I have realized the best way to relax and roll “instinctively” without thinking, just flowing, is to eat a edible 1 hour prior to class. You may stutter and stammer in the locker room afterwards but the training is very nice

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Snapdown to front headlock or some kind of sacrifice foot sweep/front trip/lateral drop. Shots are never a good go-to takedown in gi because of grips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Also I have realized the best way to relax and roll “instinctively” without thinking, just flowing, is to eat a edible 1 hour prior to class. You may stutter and stammer in the locker room afterwards but the training is very nice

I gotta drive after class man. Lol I just hit the pen.