Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

they need both bridges for sure, Detroit is like the biggest single point of entry in to the US in terms of value of goods or something crazy like that due to the auto industry and the road haul routes between S. Ontario / Quebec and Chicago / Midwest

Oh for sure. Don't forget you got the tunnel and well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Elephanthead posted:

I predict a sneaker mortgage financial crisis.

Or the Mattress Sub-Prime market. Can’t build up equity in those cause ick, whose going to buy a used mattress.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Just saw a facebook post from someone looking for a chiropractor that works on dogs, so I feel like there is future content there.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I got LASIK at 0% for 12 months, how do I reverse mortgage my eye equity?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

Repo Men prequel confirmed

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

crazypeltast52 posted:

Just saw a facebook post from someone looking for a chiropractor that works on dogs, so I feel like there is future content there.

This is actually a thing, believe it or not

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

spwrozek posted:

Oh for sure. Don't forget you got the tunnel and well.

the tunnel is not for trucks though, which is the biggest problem

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Hoshi posted:

eyequity.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

LASIK is both GWM and GWL y'all

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
You're just saying that because it worked out for you. Hindsight is 20/20

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

I'm incredibly happy that I got it

Moneyball posted:

Hindsight should look into getting LASIK for better vision

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

enraged_camel posted:

Word

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Moneyball posted:

More like foresight

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is actually a thing, believe it or not

Reminds me of that goon back in the day doing an ask/tell about being a chiropractor and he couldn't tell the difference between a dog xray and a human. Hopefully the dogo chiros are better at that :x

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Raldikuk posted:

Reminds me of that goon back in the day doing an ask/tell about being a chiropractor and he couldn't tell the difference between a dog xray and a human. Hopefully the dogo chiros are better at that :x

One of the biggest scams I've heard of a chiropractor running is charging patients for "X-rays" and then showing the mark the one, same radiograph of (someone else's) badly aligned spine with issues and then doing some work and charging for MORE X-rays and then showing them an X-ray of a normal back. They won't do this to you if they realize you're at all sophisticated but (I've heard) it's a relatively common problem.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 1, 2019

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

One of the biggest scams I've heard of is chiropractic

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

My corneas are too thin and dainty for LASIK so I'm doomed to a life of wearing sexy glasses.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
I had LASEK surgery in 2010, at the age of 23; by Christmas 2015 I needed specs again. I guess I'm just part of the nth percentile whose eyesight hadn't 'settled' by then. :sigh:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

spincube posted:

I had LASEK surgery in 2010, at the age of 23; by Christmas 2015 I needed specs again. I guess I'm just part of the nth percentile whose eyesight hadn't 'settled' by then. :sigh:

Should have gotten the extended warranty

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
On an unrelated note, how strong is the little laser thing on the bottom of mice these days. Asking for a friend

[e] VV it smells like burning hair :)

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

enraged_camel posted:

I recommend it to everyone who asks me about it, but my wife watched the actual procedure and says "nope" to it now. My doctor gave me a DVD of it, great to horrify the nieces and nephews.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

MomJeans420 posted:

I recommend it to everyone who asks me about it, but my wife watched the actual procedure and says "nope" to it now. My doctor gave me a DVD of it, great to horrify the nieces and nephews.

yeah, they call it "laser" eye surgery but they don't mention the microkeratome

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This is all I need to know about vaccines laser eye surgery :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9crCGMh4j9g

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

SpartanIvy posted:

This exact thing happened to my friend Dave.

We miss Dave.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Gonna finish out the year strong and buy a horse, expensive car, and a house I can’t afford. Hindsight is for 2020

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

BMan posted:

They're doing surgery on your eyeball, what difference does it make if they squish it and cut it with a tiny knife vs if they squish it and cut it with a tiny laser?

The whole 'this procedure could leave you blind or in so much pain you'll want to kill yourself' was the only ideological hurdle I had to get over. After that I was like IDGAF what you do, just try not to gently caress it up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Husband spends 1/3 of our money on comic books

quote:

I often share advice here, but today it's me coming to you for perspective.

Married less than a year, and we don't have money troubles. I feel like this is more about ... Fairness? Common goals? Letting go of the past/sunk cost? For reference, were both about 40 y.o.

I track spending pretty closely, though it's not like I reign in certain categories per se. More, I track it for knowledge. Husband says he's happy to let me do all the financial planning, since I'm so good at it. He's said he wants me to help us reach our discussed common goals and be secure. The last thing I want is to be a new wife who says he can't go to Cons or hang out at the board game store and play tournaments or whatever. But there's this comic thing he has. We're paying $100/month for a climate-controlled storage closet to store these. He spends about 1/3 of our disposable income per month on them. He brings home a few boxes from the comic store, and then the box(es) go unsorted into the storage locker. In the year we've been together, I've never once seen him read a comic book.

He says he has this vision that once we have a house with more room, he'll sort them and read entire series. I get it. I love reading. But he's spending more than our rent each month on this collection. And when he had a larger place all to himself, he didn't have them sorted then, either.

I love that he's a nerd. I wouldn't have it any other way. If he lives for 80 more years, I can't imagine he'll read half of them, if any. Money could go to debt, or retirement, or joint purchases/goals. Keep in mind, this money he spends on these is in addition to his disposable spending on other things/hobbies. On average, his hobby spending is half the monthly cost of the comics. I mean, I get it. He doesn't buy lots of clothes or shoes or makeup or cigarettes or drugs. But it's not like I can spend an equivalent amount on MY hobbies or interests, because we couldn't afford it.

How do you talk to someone who's self identity is almost tied up in these that it's ok to not finish collecting the entire series for each of these? How do you talk about how he's not betraying that 13-y.o. version of himself that found his only solace in comics? How can I explain how out of proportion the spending is to other things?

If the bills are paid on time, and the CC balances aren't going up, he emotionally sees no reason to not spend like this.

I'm here to listen. I'm here to get other perspectives. We've never fought about this, and I doubt we ever will. But I wanted to have another conversation with him, and I was hoping to come to it with some fresh insight and ways I can compromise.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
It must be tough having an SO that can't let go of their childhood.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

At least he’s not spending bill money on it I guess

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

SpartanIvy posted:

Eye see that, and raise you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFYaeqVxN7I

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

Should have gotten the extended warranty

I don’t know if that’s just a joke or not but you can spend a lot of extra money for lifetime care, which I guess includes touch ups. My brother just got the surgery and they were trying to upsell like crazy.

I had LASIK 15 years ago and it’s been a fantastic success except I now have to wear expensive progressive lens glasses because my close up vision is poo poo. LASIK can’t help if the elasticity of your retina muscles goes weak.

On the plus side Warby Parker is GWM.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Those week muscles are the result of presbyopia, literally "elder eye."

I'm 36 and had LASIK done almost 15 years ago, and it was the best money I ever spent. My wife had SMILE LASIK done and the cuts were done with a laser as well, so not all have a blade doing the incision.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

I don’t know if that’s just a joke or not but you can spend a lot of extra money for lifetime care, which I guess includes touch ups. My brother just got the surgery and they were trying to upsell like crazy.

I had LASIK 15 years ago and it’s been a fantastic success except I now have to wear expensive progressive lens glasses because my close up vision is poo poo. LASIK can’t help if the elasticity of your retina muscles goes weak.

On the plus side Warby Parker is GWM.

I'm not sure whether I spent a lot of extra, it was 1.8k per eye all in which seemed pretty average from my research, but if my vision is every less then 20/20 they'll redo it for free (as long as I'm still eligible for the surgery). One of my co-workers parents got it redone recently after 10 years so I felt pretty good about the guarantee.

Also the best part of the procedure was when my vision was completely gone, having it fade like that one eye at a time was disconcertingly neat!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BMan posted:

Most LASIK today is all-laser. They use a second laser that produces extremely short pulses that cause cavitation in the surface layers of the eye, effectively cutting the flap.

BonerGhost posted:

They're doing surgery on your eyeball, what difference does it make if they squish it and cut it with a tiny knife vs if they squish it and cut it with a tiny laser?

Less squishing, less trauma, less chance of infection, faster recovery.

quote:

The whole 'this procedure could leave you blind or in so much pain you'll want to kill yourself' was the only ideological hurdle I had to get over. After that I was like IDGAF what you do, just try not to gently caress it up.

Judging from a sample of the people who I know who have had it, the number one factor in how painful the recovery is is whether or not you're a smoker. In my case, the friend who was supposed to drive me to my followup appointment the next morning forgot and slept in, so I wound up driving myself. Basically my eyes watered and hurt until I fell asleep after the surgery and then the worst I had after that was some dry-eye for a few days. I couldn't have hoped for better results than I had.

Hoshi posted:

Also the best part of the procedure was when my vision was completely gone, having it fade like that one eye at a time was disconcertingly neat!

I actively enjoyed the cool water they trickle over your eyeballs while they're zapping them. Feels good, man.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 1, 2019

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Phanatic posted:

Less squishing, less trauma, less chance of infection, faster recovery.

In the context of being freaked out by the idea. P sure that wasn't on anyone's mind who saw it being performed and decided against based on watching.

Phanatic posted:

Judging from a sample of the people who I know who have had it, the number one factor in how painful the recovery is is whether or not you're a smoker. In my case, the friend who was supposed to drive me to my followup appointment the next morning forgot and slept in, so I wound up driving myself. Basically my eyes watered and hurt until I fell asleep after the surgery and then the worst I had after that was some dry-eye for a few days. I couldn't have hoped for better results than I had.

I'm jealous. My eyes were already dry bc contacts were damaging my oil glands, then I basically immediately got a blocked tear gland. The first 3 days or so were excruciating and that gland didn't clear for like a month. I've never smoked in my life unless you count one drag when I was 11 that made me sick all day.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BonerGhost posted:

My eyes were already dry bc contacts were damaging my oil glands

I think the number two factor is wearing contacts. The smoking contact wearer I know who had it was miserable for a full week.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Phanatic posted:

I actively enjoyed the cool water they trickle over your eyeballs while they're zapping them. Feels good, man.

Goddamn this sounds terrifying.

I do need to get this done eventually, though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

My biggest fear about the experience of the procedure itself was feeling the need to blink and being unable to, feeling like I'm Alex sitting there strapped to the chair for the Ludovico procedure. But that trickle of water utterly obviated any feeling that I needed to blink and made the whole thing not unpleasant.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Vox Nihili posted:

I do need to get this done eventually, though.

It's like a wet masonry saw slicing your cornea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

The night of was possibly the most uncomfortable night of my life