Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

I already made that joke t:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

ThomasPaine posted:

lmao but also ffs

https://twitter.com/joejglenton/status/1179013539685654528?s=19

i know i mostly use twitter because insane galaxy brain takes make me hard but joe glenton is a genuinely good lad, ex squaddie who went AWOL for years because gently caress the british army, 10/10 follow

Oh but don’t you see affluenza is a terrible illness that leaves them unable to cope with such extremity. Switching to the low-thread count sheets alone will cause their skin to simply slough off, and how fair is that?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

E: unrelated but I got talking to an Irish woman at a conference a while back and she was very much against the use of the term 'Republic of Ireland' because that's apparently a British phrase and people should either use Eire or Ireland or both. I'd never heard this before, is this an actual thing or was she just being a bit much?
How old was she? Éire or saying 'The Irish Republic' instead of 'Republic of Ireland' or anything that implies the legitimacy of the British claim on the North are things with some people, but it's not like RoI really implies The Republic of Some Bits of Ireland and not Other Never Surrender to Popes.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Untitled Goose Game sequel looking good already

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Thought the thread would appreciate this:

https://twitter.com/saladinahmed/status/1178871571919847424?s=20

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

some good lightning and thunder over london right now. please o god smite us for our hubris

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en is always a fun watch if you're in too built-up an area to actually look out for the strikes directly.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
So what’s this about the brawl at story conference with Geoffrey Clinton Brown?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Random thought: If Johnson gets imprisoned for less than a year and an election's called while he's inside, will we finally have a national conversation about votes for prisoners where it's not immediately dismissed as ridiculous?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

How old was she? Éire or saying 'The Irish Republic' instead of 'Republic of Ireland' or anything that implies the legitimacy of the British claim on the North are things with some people, but it's not like RoI really implies The Republic of Some Bits of Ireland and not Other Never Surrender to Popes.

As Irish man in mid-30s, RoI is fine for clarification, but it sounds a bit like you're talking about the national team of foot, and you should just say "Ireland". If you say "Éire" you'll get a :rolleyes: , and "Erin/Éireann" I will direct you to the nearest American consulate (i.e. McDonalds)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Guavanaut posted:

Oh Lord there's a semantic difference between 'Irish republic' and 'republic of Ireland'? My brain can't deal with this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en is always a fun watch if you're in too built-up an area to actually look out for the strikes directly.

God hates the East End, apparently. That was pretty loving loud.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

lmao but also ffs

https://twitter.com/joejglenton/status/1179013539685654528?s=19

i know i mostly use twitter because insane galaxy brain takes make me hard but joe glenton is a genuinely good lad, ex squaddie who went AWOL for years because gently caress the british army, 10/10 follow

I forget just how different the rich are until I see stuff like this.

Tesseraction posted:

Reminder some kid got drunk off his tits in the US and crashed a car, killing a family, and got zero jail time because he had 'affluenza' where he was too rich to realise what he was doing was wrong.

Not to mention Robert H. Richards IV.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Best ISF yet?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

I love that the UK seems to believe it can dictate terms here and the Irish government needs their permission to put up a hard border.

(Not certain they will because Dublin actually understands how important the GFA is but jeez, the arrogance of it)

E: unrelated but I got talking to an Irish woman at a conference a while back and she was very much against the use of the term 'Republic of Ireland' because that's apparently a British phrase and people should either use Eire or Ireland or both. I'd never heard this before, is this an actual thing or was she just being a bit much?

Definitely don't say "Eire." That's very Tory look at the little country over there with their own language. You wouldn't say Espanol or Deutschland, so just say, "Ireland." Republic of Ireland is the football team.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ratjaculation posted:

Best ISF yet?

Motherfucker I already posted it. :mad:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Mrenda posted:

Definitely don't say "Eire." That's very Tory look at the little country over there with their own language. You wouldn't say Espanol or Deutschland, so just say, "Ireland." Republic of Ireland is the football team.

*Espana

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

I don't care what it's called as long as I can get egg and chips for breakfast a beer for two of these funny monies.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Affluenza kids Dad also got arrested for assault recently. Guess it's a genetic illness.

Crispchat: did you get Rancheros in the UK or is that an Ireland only thing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

As Irish man in mid-30s, RoI is fine for clarification, but it sounds a bit like you're talking about the national team of foot, and you should just say "Ireland". If you say "Éire" you'll get a :rolleyes: , and "Erin/Éireann" I will direct you to the nearest American consulate (i.e. McDonalds)
Isn't it all to do with the Constitution saying "the name of this country is Éire (or in English, Ireland)" because of Brits saying 'Southern Ireland' all the time, but then the 1948 act that clarified No Kings Ever said "this is the Republic of Ireland" but then some Brits use that to very clearly delineate between the island and the bit they still have so now some older people have, hem, troubles with that?

At least I know the best way to quickly find the nearest McDonalds.

ThomasPaine posted:

Oh Lord there's a semantic difference between 'Irish republic' and 'republic of Ireland'? My brain can't deal with this.
The Irish Republic ('Southern Ireland') was the revolutionary state that fought Britain in 1919, the Republic of Ireland was the state that Ireland took the form of when saying No Kings in 1948.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Saying "southern Ireland" is also not cool right?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

España. Careful with the ñ lest you wish someone a happy achiever of anuses (feliz cumpleanos vs feliz cumpleaños)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

marktheando posted:

Saying "southern Ireland" is also not cool right?
Unless you're referring historically to the state apparatus that the Irish Republic was fighting, no.

Or this I guess:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I love that my home town is virtually at the border of the new custom zone inside Northern Ireland, and that my mother's home town in the Republic is now on the opposite border.
The 30-40 gap in between be pirate territory arrrrr

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pochoclo posted:

España. Careful with the ñ lest you wish someone a happy achiever of anuses (feliz cumpleanos vs feliz cumpleaños)

yeah I know lol but they didn't put an accent on Éire so I was being lazy with my letter mods too

but yes which publication was it that tried to talk about the year of women but called it the year of anal?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Young me worked with a Londoner years ago and I had no grasp of British politics.

The way he spoke of North and South Ireland the impression I got was that the country was split down the middle Korea style with the south being where all the fundie terrorist were while the North was the place where the peaceful Irish lived under the protection of England.

Turns out Northern Ireland is more like Northern cape Ireland.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

The island is Ireland but Ireland is not all of the island because a northern bit of the island (but not the most northern bit of Ireland) is Northern Ireland and the rest of it is Ireland.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Random Integer posted:

Crispchat: did you get Rancheros in the UK or is that an Ireland only thing?

Oh my god, I forgot about Rancheros and now I'd kill for a pack. I've never seen them in the UK.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eschenique posted:

The way he spoke of North and South Ireland the impression I got was that the country was split down the middle Korea style
The North used to be an industrial power while the South was an agrarian backwater run by religious fanatics, then the superpower that was funding the North imploded and was taken over by a bunch of gangsters who asset stripped them, leading to them losing interest in the North and it becoming a dilapidated authoritarian shell while the South prospered into tech power but with lots of low-tax liberalism.

(Am I talking about Ireland or Korea?)

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Both.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Eschenique posted:

the country was split down the middle Korea style

Across the middle surely :colbert:

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

People up north either call it the South or the Republic or the free state all of which they hate

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Pochoclo posted:

I gave a talk to a bunch of boy scouts in Argentina once, hosed up the ñ vs n in "años" in my slides, which as you can imagine comes up a lot in archaeology. Much mirth at the extranjero, practically every slide!

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Just want you to know that even though I rarely post in appreciation of these, I *always* appreciate them and I'm sure there are others who are the same too.

Thanks for the chuckles, keep it up!

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

If that were inked/coloured it'd be a pretty awesome campaign poster/twitter meme.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

The North used to be an industrial power while the South was an agrarian backwater run by religious fanatics, then the superpower that was funding the North imploded and was taken over by a bunch of gangsters who asset stripped them, leading to them losing interest in the North and it becoming a dilapidated authoritarian shell while the South prospered into tech power but with lots of low-tax liberalism.

(Am I talking about Ireland or Korea?)

There are a bunch of cultural and historical similarities between Ireland and Korea. Theres something about being stuck next to a big island full of aggressive assholes who brutally colonise you for years that leads to similar outcomes.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jables88 posted:

An overlooked aspect of the choice of interim PM is that whoever this ended up being would be murdered within hours of delaying Brexit by a gammon hitman, so perhaps Harriet Harman/Ken Clarke/David Attenborough might prefer not to.

I enjoy watching Succession too (so should everyone, it’s great, basically about the Murdochs, and written by Jesse Armstrong of The Thick of It and Peep Show fame).

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

WhatEvil posted:

Just want you to know that even though I rarely post in appreciation of these, I *always* appreciate them and I'm sure there are others who are the same too.

Thanks for the chuckles, keep it up!

Someone please explain to me like I'm very dumb. Lib Dems land on the left? Is the shape of the tree important? What is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tarnop posted:

Someone please explain to me like I'm very dumb. Lib Dems land on the left? Is the shape of the tree important? What is happening

The tree is the Tory logo.