Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Farking Bastage posted:

I'm sure everyone here is aware:

Back when the huge tobacco settlements were happening, they were set up as an annuity to defray the healthcare costs of treating smokers. These states, instead of using that money properly, issued bonds with Wall Street on those annuities to get the money up front, which they promptly dumped into the general fund to fund more tax breaks for the rich. Fast forward to the last few years, vaping has taken off as a less harmful alternative to cigs. Due to how much this has cut into the tobacco tax revenue, the bonds are starting to fail. Corrupt officials at the FDA and in congress are now colluding with the tobacco companies to again corner the market and push everyone else out. Big tobacco wants their monopoly back on all nicotine delivery methods, the corrupt governments want their tax revenue back, and as usual, the only people who get hurt are regular working class people. Welcome to the USA.

Uh, Juul's new CEO, K.C. Crosthwaite was formerly the "Chief Growth Officer" of Altria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

evilweasel posted:

vaping is being used as a new way to hook kids on nicotine[/b][/i])

BY TOBACCO COMPANIES NOT SMALL BUSINESS

quote:

nobody should "be aware" of this nonsense you're peddling, which while it has some accurate facts is entirely designed to be propaganda for the new nicotine companies (the worst offender, of course, is [i][b]owned by a tobacco company

When the tobacco companies saw this catching on(most definitely through small businesses), they all immediately jumped into the market, and through their extensive distribution channels, put blue, juul, et al on the front counter of every corner store in the country.

I personally know one of the original and biggest players in the vape industry. He sat across the table from the head of the FDA, and was told "this isn't about public health". I have to disagree with your assessment.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Retro42 posted:

Pretty sure Pompeo is in too deep now. Any emotion out of him right now is just the realization that any future career goals he wanted are hosed.

again, being a loyal criminal is a plus for a wanna-be elected republican in a red state, because republican voters are pro-crime as long as it's the right kind of crime

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I wish John Dingell were still alive for the twitter burns.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The guy is a complete moron and fuckup but I assume he's handling the economy well.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

evilweasel posted:

again, being a loyal criminal is a plus for a wanna-be elected republican in a red state, because republican voters are pro-crime as long as it's the right kind of crime

he has to go against Kris Kobach, another loyal criminal, so he needs to distinguish himself by being even more of a dipshit (a difficult task)

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

It sounds like he's tweeting about this article?

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/01/trumps-approval-rating-drops-to-new-low-but-most-still-oppose-impeachment-cnbc-survey-finds.html

I don't know what to make of the findings, but I'm almost always flabbergasted by any poll where a majority of people don't want Trump (if not the entire GOP) out.

Mantis42 posted:

The guy is a complete moron and fuckup but I assume he's handling the economy well.

The GOP somehow won this image as being economy maestros. I think it has a lot to do with Reagan lucking out and getting the delayed benefits of Carter's interest rate hike. It made it look like Reagan fixed stagflation.

Brony Car fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Oct 1, 2019

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

he has to go against Kris Kobach, another loyal criminal, so he needs to distinguish himself by being even more of a dipshit (a difficult task)

Weird how Republican primaries keep becoming criminal vs. criminal (see: Darrel Issa trying to primary Duncan Hunter)

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

evilweasel posted:

vaping is being used as a new way to hook kids on nicotine, undoing decades of anti-tobacco work, and this nonsense about it being a fledgling ~free market~ that must be protected from the evil tobacco companies and states is dangerous nonsense for idiots

nobody should "be aware" of this nonsense you're peddling, which while it has some accurate facts is entirely designed to be propaganda for the new nicotine companies (the worst offender, of course, is owned by a tobacco company)

Is it though? Is it really? And why is banning the cig competitors the first and only solution that can be pursued?

So funny that the only reasonable solution is the one that makes the big tobacco companies have to compete less.

It's not like they were gonna ban vaping itself, just like they haven't banned cigs. They're only banning the bits that make the side competitors viable.

It's not like they lose even if Vapes are completely banned though either. That's also still a win. Since they still own the cig companies too

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Oct 1, 2019

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Brony Car posted:

I don't know what to make of the findings, but I'm almost always flabbergasted by any poll where a majority of people don't want Trump (if not the entire GOP) out.

Americans are bad people but also there's always going to be people who think impeachment is tactically unsound even if they hate Trump.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

When the tobacco companies saw this catching on(most definitely through small businesses), they all immediately jumped into the market, and through their extensive distribution channels, put blue, juul, et al on the front counter of every corner store in the country.

I personally know one of the original and biggest players in the vape industry. He sat across the table from the head of the FDA, and was told "this isn't about public health". I have to disagree with your assessment.

yeah, uh, i don't really care. tobacco companies are merely applying their longstanding knowledge in the area to speed up what was already occuring.

of course tobacco companies jumped in when a new way to hook children on nicotine popped up. they saw the same thing that small businesses saw: recurring profits from addicts. tobacco companies don't magically become good companies when they scale down. your own post regurgitates the sort of dangerous nonsense being used by juul to hook kids (it's safer! no dangers here, vape away!), that you don't have an ad campaign behind it makes it different in scale not in substance.

obviously juul looks like it should be shut down hard with extreme prejudice and people sent to jail, but that doesn't mean that when you take away one bad actor the rest of the industry becomes good. juul was bought out by whatever phillip morris calls itself now because a "small business" became a big business. you take all the tobacco companies out and force phillip morriss to spin off juul you're just going to create some new tobacco companies in the vaping space. it wasn't some poisonous evil that infected the good, pure small business cigarette companies that turned them into corporate monsters. they went from small companies to big companies, and did bad things because that's how you make a profit in an addiction industry. companies that don't do bad things will get muscled out by those that do, and companies that become big will start doing bad things because that's how you make even more money.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

eke out posted:

The GOP desperately needs Pompeo to jump into that race because Kobach is such an unlikable turd he lost the gubernatorial race to a Democrat.

Given a decent nominee, he could lose a Senate election too.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

Is it though? Is it really? And why is banning the cig competitors the first and only solution that can be pursued?

So funny that the only reasonable solution is the one that makes the big tobacco companies have to compete less.

It's not like they were gonna ban vaping itself, just like they haven't banned cigs. They're only banning the bits that make the side competitors viable.

banning the cig competitors is the first solution because the "cig competitors" are what's driving a massive increase in nicotine addiction. then we can go back to slowly strangling the cigarette industry like we've been doing for decades, rather successfully.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1179012252357320705

Democracy dies in darkness. And sexy peaches.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

evilweasel posted:

banning the cig competitors is the first solution because the "cig competitors" are what's driving a massive increase in nicotine addiction. then we can go back to slowly strangling the cigarette industry like we've been doing for decades, rather successfully.

The cig industry has never not had a year of explosive growth in the last 80 years so, uh. Don't know where you think you're getting they were ever being strangled.

And cite your sources for the massive rise of nicotine addicted in the youth due to vape flavours

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

the fun part about this tweet is that initiating a bunch of global chaos with a capricious and unpredictable trade policy makes the dollar stronger as investors park their money into safe US government bonds rather than speculating on economic growth

trump is doing more to make strong dollar than anything the fed can do to counterbalance his whipsaw economic whims

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Farking Bastage posted:

You have to live in Koo-Koo land you think that Vaping - small or big - isn't about getting people hooked on a addictive substance.

How many vaping stores are there on each corner in a average city? In the poorest communities?

It's just another way to steal money from average americans by getting them addicted to a dangerous mind-altering substance. And since it's marketed as being cleaner, people think they aren't in danger. It's loving disgusting.

How much money does the average vaper spend on vaping each week, month, year? That's thousands of dollars flushed down the drain putting intoxicating addictive substances into their body that doesn't do them a single bit of good.

Vaping contributes to poverty and addiction just as much as alcohol consumption and opioid addiction. Let's not joke about this. A healthy public would not be full of poor people vaping to get away from their life problems.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nothing against your posts on the subject but can we have a separate thread for vaping?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

evilweasel posted:

Seriously, why is this so hard for people to understand? Are we going to hear about how the CDC is paid off by big tobacco and is promoting smoking next?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

I feel like I need to post this and then dunk on it just be apart of the rest of the thread, given its popularity these last 4-5 pages.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

GlyphGryph posted:

The cig industry has never not had a year of explosive growth in the last 80 years so, uh. Don't know where you think you're getting they were ever being strangled.

And cite your sources for the massive rise of nicotine addicted in the youth due to vape flavours

the CDC has been saying it over and over

https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/basic_information/e-cigarettes/Quick-Facts-on-the-Risks-of-E-cigarettes-for-Kids-Teens-and-Young-Adults.html

flavored cigarettes were a strategy tobacco companies used to appeal to youth smokers decades ago

https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/tobaccocontrol/11/suppl_1/i5.full.pdf

ThanosWasRight posted:

You have to live in Koo-Koo land you think that Vaping - small or big - isn't about getting people hooked on a addictive substance.

How many vaping stores are there on each corner in a average city? In the poorest communities?

it's about artisinal, small-batch, mom and pop nicotine peddlers. we must respect the roots of the small town tobacconist, the innovative vape developer, the man who stands up to Big Tobacco and says "no! no more! i will injest the highly addictive substance in my own terms, on my own means, using the precursors your firms grow and harvest and greenwashing them as a grassroots movement by addicts, for addicts!"

GlyphGryph posted:

flavored cigarettes were mostly banned in 2009. any ban on flavored vape juice would be bringing vapes up to the same regulatory standards that currently exist for cigarettes

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 1, 2019

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GlyphGryph posted:

https://newsinhealth.nih.gov/2019/02/vaping-rises-among-teens

there has been a steady decline in the number of people addicted to nicotine which has been dramatically reversed by vaping. you will note the specific reference to vape flavors at the end (it has been known for decades flavored cigarettes are particularly effective at targeting youth, so the idea that "BAH GAWD HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST FLAVORED NICOTINE IS PERTICULARLY EFFECTIVE AT TARGETING YOUTH" is the same sort of tobacco-company scientific whataboutism)

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GlyphGryph posted:

Go to any high school bathroom maybe?

Juul's infestation of every single high school in the country is evidence enough. It's a epidemic of massive proportions. That's why states are raising the age to buy tobacco products.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

kidkissinger posted:

Nothing against your posts on the subject but can we have a separate thread for vaping?

kidkissinger posted:

kidkissinger posted:

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
First I gotta deal with vape clouds outside of every bar and now I've got to deal with vape clowns on every page of this thread

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you want to talk about vaping make a separate thread before your ability to post goes up in smoke for a while.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Removed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
edit: Saw PPJ's post

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

good

https://twitter.com/jdmiles11/status/1179059309847691267

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thank loving god.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Thank loving Christ.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

a jury convicted a cop even after that bullshit jury instruction? hell really has frozen over

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

:unsmith:

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

ImpAtom posted:

Thank loving god.

This is such great and awesome news.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Which one was that?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Wow. Did not expect that.

Unironic good call by the jury.

cr0y posted:

Which one was that?

She was the "oops I went into the wrong apartment and shot a black guy to death" cop.

...that doesn't narrow it down, I know, but she was sexting at the time.

...ok, still kinda vague, I know but...

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

LoL the judge will be pissed I’m sure.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

This map isn't even accurate. Washoe county in Nevada went blue.

edit: a bunch of California is wrong also. Not going to bother checking the rest.

Faustian Bargain fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 1, 2019

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

cr0y posted:

Which one was that?

The one where the cop drunkenly barged into the wrong apartment and shot the guy who lived there

Faustian Bargain posted:

This map isn't even accurate. Washoe county in Nevada went blue.

The map isn't even remotely based on the 2016 election and nobody has been able to figure out where it came from. It's probably a photoshop someone made up out of whole cloth to be a right-wing meme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

cr0y posted:

Which one was that?

The one where she (a cop) walked into the wrong apartment on the wrong floor and shot a black guy that was just sitting on his loving couch eating ice cream.