Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Mister Facetious posted:

"I guess human beings can't be... Forever 21."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uW47jWLMiY

lol and 4 hours ago...

Forever 21 to close all 44 locations in Canada as retailer in bankruptcy proceedings

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/forever-21-retail-bankruptcy-1.5302554

e: welp I missed the original bankruptcy post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

less than three posted:

lol and 4 hours ago...

Forever 21 to close all 44 locations in Canada as retailer in bankruptcy proceedings

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/forever-21-retail-bankruptcy-1.5302554

e: welp I missed the original bankruptcy post.

Kind of impressive that it was finished off, considering how many dead companies can survive as zombies up here (The Source/Circuit City/Radio Shack, Toys "R" Us, etc.)...

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Mister Facetious posted:

Kind of impressive that it was finished off, considering how many dead companies can survive as zombies up here (The Source/Circuit City/Radio Shack, Toys "R" Us, etc.)...

It's because Canada is gently caress for online retailers, or maybe brick and mortar still works here because we can see now much better American online store are a d just say gently caress it and drive to the mall.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hang on there's a Circuit City still in existence in Canada?!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

i am harry posted:

Hang on there's a Circuit City still in existence in Canada?!

Yeah they were purchased by one of our big monolithic telcos. Now branded as The Source. (Earlier as The Source by Curcuit City until people forgot about CC.)

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 1, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Canada is americas museum where we keep all our old lovely retail stores in cryogenic stores

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Canada is americas museum where we keep all our old lovely retail stores in cryogenic stores

Please tell me you have Child World/Children's Palace. I miss that place.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Silly Burrito posted:

Please tell me you have Child World/Children's Palace. I miss that place.

I don't think we ever had it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Sad then that there aren't any more Kmarts left in Canada, you'd think that would be the perfect place for them

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

overmind2000 posted:

Sad then that there aren't any more Kmarts left in Canada, you'd think that would be the perfect place for them

We had our own version of Kmart, called Zellers, which died a long rear end time ago.

I think Target tried opening up here as well, until they discovered the reason Canadians were crossing the border and shopping at American Targets was not due to the luxurious, incomparable Target shopping experience, and all about the fact that everything is dirt cheap in the US compared to here.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I went down to our local mall for the first time in what feels like ages the other day and I was surprised at how vibrant the place was. Yeah there's a big ugly scab where Sears used to be but even that's getting re-fitted for a new client now and most of the storefronts were occupied. I honestly wonder why. Location's probably a big part of it (it's like smack in the center of the city); that and the weather doing hard shifts from +35 to -20 C depending on what time of year it is probably makes a large and well heated/air conditioned/not filled with smoke public space a somewhat attractive place to hang out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

sbaldrick posted:

It's because Canada is gently caress for online retailers, or maybe brick and mortar still works here because we can see now much better American online store are a d just say gently caress it and drive to the mall.

My assumption was distributor exclusivity/monopoly/cartel control making it extremely hard to get all kinds of items online/directly from manufacturer websites like you can in the States..

overmind2000 posted:

It's hard to be worse than a Zellers, but KMart went the extra mile; nobody loving shopped at them, they were already dying in the nineties, back before Walmart purchased Woolco.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Oct 1, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Kmart in canada greeters would definitely get a "IS IT CALLED KMART BECAUSE KANADA?C

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

PT6A posted:

We had our own version of Kmart, called Zellers, which died a long rear end time ago.

I think Target tried opening up here as well, until they discovered the reason Canadians were crossing the border and shopping at American Targets was not due to the luxurious, incomparable Target shopping experience, and all about the fact that everything is dirt cheap in the US compared to here.

The reason Target died up here so fast was because they came in full speed claiming to be a breath of fresh air to the retail market and then everyone realised they were just another Walmart clone. Much like in politics, if your strategy is to copy an opponent don't be surprised that everyone just goes with the person who was doing it longer. Target didn't offer anything that you couldn't already find.

tragic_ethos
Apr 10, 2007
Advertise here.
Grimey Drawer

Stretch Marx posted:

The reason Target died up here so fast was because they came in full speed claiming to be a breath of fresh air to the retail market and then everyone realised they were just another Walmart clone. Much like in politics, if your strategy is to copy an opponent don't be surprised that everyone just goes with the person who was doing it longer. Target didn't offer anything that you couldn't already find.

They offered less which was the bigger problem. They could never figure out logistics in Canada.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I tried to buy a pallet jack from Target when they were all closing down but they wanted like 3 grand for it and no amount of haggling could get it down under my budget of "I have 20 dollars in my wallet"

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Stretch Marx posted:

There were a lot of problems with the Target roll out to Canada. I'm sure the clone stuff comes into play for the final nail in their coffin but they decided to roll out a completely new ERP suite that caused tons of issues. They couldn't get logistics figured out to save their life and their ERP solution was causing huge problems. For some reason they decided to switch to SAP for Canada when in the US they used their own in house solution. Issues like not having the right dimensions in the new system meant they couldn't fill trucks properly. Not having the right SKUs meant they couldn't order the right product. Then there was the problem that they expanded much too quickly and the stores they took over were in poo poo locations. It was the perfect storm of incompetence really.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

blatman posted:

I tried to buy a pallet jack from Target when they were all closing down but they wanted like 3 grand for it and no amount of haggling could get it down under my budget of "I have 20 dollars in my wallet"

You asked the wrong person.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

blatman posted:

The gently caress kind of pallet jack costs $3000

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

less than three posted:

Yeah they were purchased by one of our big monolithic telcos. Now branded as The Source. (Earlier as The Source by Curcuit City until people forgot about CC.)

And what what can you tell me of KB Toys?!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

blatman posted:

I bought shelving from sears from someone Im pretty sure had no authority to sell it but he was the only guy watching so gently caress it.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I bought shelving from sears from someone Im pretty sure had no authority to sell it but he was the only guy watching so gently caress it.

There's a pretty good chance that was the most expensive thing that Sears location had sold all year so I'm not surprised they let it go

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

overmind2000 posted:

There's a pretty good chance that was the most expensive thing that Sears location had sold all year so I'm not surprised they let it go

Other than a pallet of yankee candles they sold to a local chapter of the rotary club

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Raldikuk posted:

There were a lot of problems with the Target roll out to Canada. I'm sure the clone stuff comes into play for the final nail in their coffin but they decided to roll out a completely new ERP suite that caused tons of issues. They couldn't get logistics figured out to save their life and their ERP solution was causing huge problems. For some reason they decided to switch to SAP for Canada when in the US they used their own in house solution. Issues like not having the right dimensions in the new system meant they couldn't fill trucks properly. Not having the right SKUs meant they couldn't order the right product. Then there was the problem that they expanded much too quickly and the stores they took over were in poo poo locations. It was the perfect storm of incompetence really.

Often the Canadian entity is actually a different corporation, and they don't always share infrastructure. Source: Just helped Staples Canada on a big software rollout to wean them off the US architecture.

But yes, Canada sucks because of the sheer size of the place compared to the number of customers who live there. Add in quasi-good legacy government infrastructure and it means a bunch of people are living in prohibitively expensive out of delivery areas, and aren't subsidized by people living in the cities because there aren't enough of them.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Stretch Marx posted:

Target is Walmart for people who think they're too good for Walmart.

Personally the only reason I shop at Target now is because it's the closest place that sells soap, light bulbs, and what have you.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Target is Walmart for people who think they're too good for Walmart.

Personally the only reason I shop at Target now is because it's the closest place that sells soap, light bulbs, and what have you.

Target will actually open a register when the lines get too full. Walmart just laughs and laughs and laughs.......

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Silly Burrito posted:

Target will actually open a register when the lines get too full. Walmart just laughs and laughs and laughs.......

I liked recently when they gutted half of the traditional check-out lanes and replaced them with self-service, then tried to deny that it wasn't to get of precious jerbs.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Silly Burrito posted:

The 2 targets I been to don't give a poo poo and will keep everyone in line.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Celexi posted:

The 2 targets I been to don't give a poo poo and will keep everyone in line.

Because they know yall retail slaves wont leave the place after you hit the door. gently caress that. If i see a target line more than 3 people i do a 360 and walk the gently caress out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Oct 2, 2019

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Paradoxish posted:

The gently caress kind of pallet jack costs $3000

A target one, apparently. Thinking back a little harder it might have been 3500 "or best offer" (my offer was merely second best)

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Raldikuk posted:

And then the people from headquarters in Minneapolis completely ignored any suggestions from the Canadian side that any of these things might be a problem (what do you mean, it's not a good idea to supply a store in Newfoundland from Cornwall, Ontario?). Products routinely never arrived, leaving swaths of empty shelves, and the pricing was never competitive for the products that were actually in stock.

Logistics issues for Canadian retailers are always worse than south of the border. Walmart has selection and stock issues in Canada, too, and I forget that Walmarts don't have to be an unpleasant experience when I go to one in the U.S. instead of a lovely one up here that looks like a throwback to 2005.

Staples has the same issue; I bought something at a Staples in Michigan because that item just wasn't carried in Canada, and anything remotely comparable was 40% more than in the U.S.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Yeah I worked at corporate for a retailer that had heavy pressure to follow Target into Canada. The side that won was pushing a strategy of just opening more stores near the border instead . It was funny to see every executive claim they were on that side after it was apparent the disaster Target had.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: if you have never worked somewhere where you got to watch management make an incredibly harmful decision because it would bump up their KPIs in the last week of this quarter by 0.1%.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bed bath and beyond is down 60 stores as of tonight

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Bed bath and beyond is down 60 stores as of tonight

As long as bath and body works stays around selling their amazing candles, that’s fine.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Did Quebecois Target have French-speaking customer service reps? I had a friend that worked for a US/Canadian company and they were super careful to always answer customer phone calls in "French" language first, because I guess that is your competitive advantage in not-France Quebec. If so, lol. On the other hand, imagine the meltdowns if South-western US CSRs answered the phone in spanish by default.

WHAT THE gently caress, I'm supposed to press ONE for ENGLISH NOT "MARKEEE DOSE! THIS IS AMERICA!!1!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Asimov posted:

Did Quebecois Target have French-speaking customer service reps? I had a friend that worked for a US/Canadian company and they were super careful to always answer customer phone calls in "French" language first, because I guess that is your competitive advantage in not-France Quebec. If so, lol. On the other hand, imagine the meltdowns if South-western US CSRs answered the phone in spanish by default.

WHAT THE gently caress, I'm supposed to press ONE for ENGLISH NOT "MARKEEE DOSE! THIS IS AMERICA!!1!"

Quebec law dictates that you must address the customer first in French. Nowhere else in Canada is this an issue, so typically which language is presented first in a phone tree is decided based on the area code of the person calling.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

LionArcher posted:

As long as bath and body works stays around selling their amazing candles, that’s fine.

dont tell me you buy yankee candles

oh wait :goonsay: mother loves the smell

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

Quebec law dictates that you must address the customer first in French. Nowhere else in Canada is this an issue, so typically which language is presented first in a phone tree is decided based on the area code of the person calling.

Lmao

Ban French in the rest of Canada in return

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

dont tell me you buy yankee candles

oh wait :goonsay: mother loves the smell

Yankee candles? I like the seasonal ones. Well, not the ones that smell like dessert, but the other ones.