Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

eke out posted:

they won't even be done with appeals and tying this up until next year, they'd be stupid to radically change practices in a way that will be hugely unpopular while simultaneously risking almost immediately losing their right to do this when a democrat gets elected

This is only going to matter if NY or CA decide to implement their own net neutrality rules, although it won't matter as much as something like EPA regulations. Car manufacturers have their hands tied because they're dealing with physical production, but rules in NY or CA won't even necessarily affect every ISP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

It's 12:15, did Wohl and Burkman show up or did they run away again?

They’re waiting for the garbage to be collected first so they aren’t interrupted again.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Blind Pineapple posted:

Since it's first degree, she's probably looking at 25-life.

We'll find out this afternoon apparently. I thought sentencing would be another day but I guess not.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Slowpoke! posted:

They’re waiting for the garbage to be collected first so they aren’t interrupted again.

The garbage that needs collected is them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"The CIA"said they shouldnt release the name (which they totally have).

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Maybe the Wohl and Burkman goofery is all a big prank on Will Sommer.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm legit surprised, I figured that for sure a shitfaced cop walking into the wrong apartment and gunning down a black immigrant eating icecream was a sure bet to get acquitted. That entire story was so weird, like there were either a dozen layers of outright wild, insane incompetence and terrible judgement or she was actively planning on killing him

There's always been the rumor that she was drunk at the time of the shooting, although pulling 13 hour shifts would probably get you the same effect.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/ABC/status/1179066978956402688

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

also says trump knows who it is

clearly our cunning president is simply playing 12d chess and making people THINK he furiously wants to reveal the whistleblower

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1179064249680846848

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Hahaha, called it.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

BUT I'M JOHN MCCAIN'S DAUGHTER

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FINALLY, actual justice

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
When they say “a White House official says” what counts as an official again? Like does the dishwasher in the kitchen count as one?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nail Rat posted:

BUT I'M JOHN MCCAIN'S DAUGHTER

I've long been waiting for someone on The View to take a look around the table and then say "Megan, everyone else at this table got here through their own achievements. What have you done in life that makes your opinion worth listening to?"

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Now the question is how many years will she get

It is between 5 and 99

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Prester Jane posted:

I've long been waiting for someone on The View to take a look around the table and then say "Megan, everyone else at this table got here through their own achievements. What have you done in life that makes your opinion worth listening to?"

not crash 3 planes

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1179069093686779905

:shrug: who could have seen that coming

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So why wasn't capital murder on the table? The guy that poo poo the officer in Houston I think it was last week is being charged with capital murder.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Midgetskydiver posted:

Why do that when voter suppression works almost as well but actually rallies the base? Elections in America are about turnout- not creating voting coalitions.

turnout really is not any different from having the voting coalitions of the main factions in your party motivated to vote

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://youtu.be/7C8vZramNkI

At 1pm the sentencing begins. Here is a live stream

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zotix posted:

So why wasn't capital murder on the table? The guy that poo poo the officer in Houston I think it was last week is being charged with capital murder.

Capital Murder in Texas requires premeditation, conjunction with another crime, or specifically shooting a police officer.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Are "legal reasons" = "being out on personal recognizance awaiting trial and not wanting to be put in jail instead"?

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
Hell yeah Miss Piggy get rekt

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Capital Murder in Texas requires premeditation, conjunction with another crime, or specifically shooting a police officer.

Murder and entering another person's home doesn't qualify?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Young Freud posted:

There's always been the rumor that she was drunk at the time of the shooting, although pulling 13 hour shifts would probably get you the same effect.

It wasn't a rumor was it? How tf else do you end up in an apt that looks and smells wildly different from your own. 13 hours is a long shift but no one else is accidentally shooting people and forgetting how their furniture is arranged from a long shift.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zotix posted:

because it didn't meet the criteria for capital murder?

unless you want to argue it was in the course of an attempted burglary, but i think that's a tough argument to make - she wasn't burgling, she was trespassing

none of the other possible criteria even REMOTELY apply, here's the thingy

quote:

The defendant intentionally commits the murder during the commission or attempted commission of a kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat;

Zotix posted:

so no, it does not

edit: also, premeditation is not one of the possible qualifiers

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 1, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Yup. This. Murder is the appropriate charge as there doesnt appear to be a huge amount of premeditated planning to kill the man. She will go away for a long time as she should.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

when have legal reasons ever stopped wohl from doing anything

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

It wasn't a rumor was it? How tf else do you end up in an apt that looks and smells wildly different from your own. 13 hours is a long shift but no one else is accidentally shooting people and forgetting how their furniture is arranged from a long shift.

Well, I recall that it was dismissed early on with a clean toxicology report on Guyger, but it's the DPD, they used to sell powdered drywall as cocaine when they entrapped drug buyers, so YMMV.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Zotix posted:

It's only a specific set of crimes that qualify and I don't remember what they are.

Edit: greyjoy bastard got you

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Zotix posted:

there was no evidence of premeditation and at worst she was committing misdemeanor criminal trespass which wouldn't trigger murder in commission of another felony

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Kaboobi posted:

when have legal reasons ever stopped wohl from doing anything

CIA angry letter.txt legal reasons :tinfoil:

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Zotix posted:

That’s not premeditation.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Oh wow, they convicted her of murder 1? That's pretty extraordinary for a cop. I wonder if it was the sum total of all the weird facts and poo poo or if they had especially damning texts or something.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Paradoxish posted:

This is only going to matter if NY or CA decide to implement their own net neutrality rules, although it won't matter as much as something like EPA regulations. Car manufacturers have their hands tied because they're dealing with physical production, but rules in NY or CA won't even necessarily affect every ISP.

If markets the size of and with the power of NY and CA decide to implement their own Net Neutrality rules it most certainly will matter. The internet is too interconnected and thanks to Amazon too distributed with elements in those states (the "cloud" is not a literal cloud they're just servers in Amazon owned facilities) that these companies aren't going to be able to use multiple regulatory frame works from state to state, Which means they'll mostly move to what ever model gives them access to those states and those markets.

Honestly with the way the internet works it matters more than how EPA regulations work, because while the car you buy in Michigan may never touch rubber to roads in California the odds are any thing you access on the internet will hit a server in California approaches parity.

Skex fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Oct 1, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Doesn't Texas also have a special capital murder category if you kill an elderly person? (Not that Botham Jean was, just saying I remember it from my countless hours of watching Cold Case Files and Forensic Files)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Half if me wonders if the judge granting the Castle doctrine instruction was because it was a legally grey area and doing so cuts off a possible avenue of appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Half if me wonders if the judge granting the Castle doctrine instruction was because it was a legally grey area and doing so cuts off a possible avenue of appeal.

This guy appears to think so

https://twitter.com/ugarles/status/1179064811038134275?s=21