Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I'm legit surprised, I figured that for sure a shitfaced cop walking into the wrong apartment and gunning down a black immigrant eating icecream was a sure bet to get acquitted. That entire story was so weird, like there were either a dozen layers of outright wild, insane incompetence and terrible judgement or she was actively planning on killing him

Was it verified that she was intoxicated? Did she ever get alcohol or drug tested after the shooting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Half if me wonders if the judge granting the Castle doctrine instruction was because it was a legally grey area and doing so cuts off a possible avenue of appeal.

Sounds legit to me. This piggie needs to be locked away for a long loving time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mahoning posted:

Doesn't Texas also have a special capital murder category if you kill an elderly person? (Not that Botham Jean was, just saying I remember it from my countless hours of watching Cold Case Files and Forensic Files)

You might be thinking of killing a young child. I'm not seeing anything regarding the elderly in capital / first degree / second degree.

Here's the full capital murder list (paraphrased so it has fewer big words):

quote:

The victim is a peace officer or fireman who was acting under lawful duty at the time of the crime;
The defendant intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat;
The defendant is paid to commit murder or pays someone else to commit murder;
The defendant commits the crime while trying to escape from a penal institution;
The defendant murders another person while in jail
The defendant murders more than one person
The defendant murders a child younger than six years of age
The defendant murders someone in retaliation for or on account of the service of a member of the judiciary

fake edit: looks like they raised the age to 15 this year

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

So the Wohl Burkman thing amounted to "Remember to always drink your Ovaltine?"

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Zwabu posted:

Was it verified that she was intoxicated? Did she ever get alcohol or drug tested after the shooting?

I could've sworn it was done a decent while after the shooting, but I could well be misremembering. Plus I thought there were reports of her seeming really out of it afterwards, and moreso than you'd expect after a shooting. At the end of the day it doesn't change much if she was or wasn't drunk since either one is equally horrible.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

because it didn't meet the criteria for capital murder?

unless you want to argue it was in the course of an attempted burglary, but i think that's a tough argument to make - she wasn't burgling, she was trespassing

none of the other possible criteria even REMOTELY apply, here's the thingy

so no, it does not

edit: also, premeditation is not one of the possible qualifiers

tbf in most jurisdictions, capital murder is synonymous with murder 1 and premeditation is a qualifier for that

not really surprising that Texas.is weird off in it's how to kill people laws though

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Oh wow, they convicted her of murder 1? That's pretty extraordinary for a cop. I wonder if it was the sum total of all the weird facts and poo poo or if they had especially damning texts or something.

murder 2 really, so probably 25 to life or whatever texas looks at

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tbf in most jurisdictions, capital murder is synonymous with murder 1 and premeditation is a qualifier for that

not really surprising that Texas.is weird off in it's how to kill people laws though

murder 2 really, so probably 25 to life or whatever texas looks at

5-99 years is the possible sentence

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Zore posted:

5-99 years is the possible sentence

-94 years, figures that a cop would get off easy

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1179075770507055104?s=20

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

there was no evidence of premeditation and at worst she was committing misdemeanor criminal trespass which wouldn't trigger murder in commission of another felony

It seems to me criminal trespass should be a felony if it's so bad you're able to use deadly force in response under Texas law.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

This is an amazing power play because it's fairly obvious that the grand jury DOJ was relying on fell apart on them.

Edit: Not that we will ever know, but this judge clearly knows enough to make a statement.

Retro42 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 1, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Yeah, they decided murder 1 wasn't murdery enough so they added a layer of "these things get life imprisonment / are eligible for The Needle".

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

lol "huge exhale that the jury got this right.", god it sucks that this timeline's good news is "well at least you didnt vomit onto important stuff."

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

PhazonLink posted:

... "well at least you didnt vomit onto important stuff."

I feel like this has been the human condition since we have had "important stuff"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
GOP: THE PARTY OF LAW AND ORDER

https://twitter.com/HelenKennedy/status/1179079015577071617

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
The market’s having a nice slide today.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.

Brony Car posted:

As always, come back in two weeks.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Brony Car posted:

I want to care about this, but the markets have turned into a rich persons money making toy controlled by Trumps twitter account lately.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Blind Pineapple posted:

Since it's first degree, she's probably looking at 25-life.

It's felony murder. She can get 5 to 99 years. I was brought in for jury duty in this case (along with 800 other people) and they spelled out why this is felony murder (not capital, that's the one with life and death sentences).

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

What was this? Looks like tweet was deleted.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

hidden_msg posted:

A judge approved the FCC overturning net neutrality

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

hidden_msg posted:

Federal Court upheld most of the new FCC regulations that got rid of Net Neutrality.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
lol Lock Her Up!

https://twitter.com/adamgoldmanNYT/status/1179082144154619909

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

https://twitter.com/JoyousPanther/status/1179073933934505985?s=20

Lmao

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Rampant Dwickery posted:

As always, come back in two weeks.

Yeah it's been nothing but dips and recoveries for the past year.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

haveblue posted:

A judge approved the FCC overturning net neutrality

Zore posted:

Federal Court upheld most of the new FCC regulations that got rid of Net Neutrality.

Lovely. :(

Thanks.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Yeah, that kind of legislation is likely to backfire on Republicans if they try to push it. It's too easy to drag Trump's own kids into that fight.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Politico: Trump May have lied to Mueller

"may"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao NOOOOOOO poo poo

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

“the attorneys made the stunning suggestion”

Is it though?

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So how long does the impeachment process usually last?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Willo567 posted:

Fast tracking it was still rumored to take until Thanksgiving. If fast tracking isn’t possible it can last for months longer.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

:eyepop:

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Oh my God, I'm stunned. President Trump lied to Mueller? All my friends are stunned too just out of frame

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Willo567 posted:

As long as they want it to. Clinton's was nearly a year, but Dems want to have an official impeachment vote by Thanksgiving. Technically they could hold the vote tomorrow if they really wanted to.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Willo567 posted:

There is no "usually" because it's been tried like 4 times in the last 230 years.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think it is a BIT implausible that the President would lie like that.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1179085082457509889?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Welp.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...a80b_story.html

E: Hm. There were no subpoenas? Why weren't these guys ordered to appear?