Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheScott2K posted:

Nobody played their Vita enough for them to drift

Persona 4 is a pretty long game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Echophonic posted:

I have two of the Jackbox packs plus Drawful and they all work just like you'd expect. They're a hit every time.

Are any of these games good indefinitely? I mean with a lot of party board games, once you get through all of the cards, you're done. I know nothing of Drawful, though I have played You Don't Know Jack a bunch, so I know they only have so many questions there.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
We've played most of the trivia ones a fistful of times and I don't think I've noticed a repeat.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All the actual funny content is user-generated, and even if it rolls over you're not going to remember that 'milking your cat' was the correct caption when you first saw it five years ago, and even if you did, it's going to be a different person's drawing so just get out there and enjoy yourself

The Jackbox games are hands down the best party games on the switch, they're just not exclusives so they don't get much attention

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Our very own IdolNinja says there is something going on with Saints Row 2 in a couple weeks.

A Reddit leaker (since deleted) said there was going to be at least a PC remaster.

Maybe a Gentlemen of The Switch port?!?!?!

https://twitter.com/IdolNinja/status/1179033793564418049?s=19

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jackbox 2 and 3 are essential IMO but you're better off buying them on Steam if you can, they'll run on the shittiest of laptops

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Jackbox 2 and 3 are essential IMO but you're better off buying them on Steam if you can, they'll run on the shittiest of laptops
Is 2 and 3 the consensus? I've always wanted to get a couple of them for get togethers but there's just so many games doing the research and compare/contrasts is exhausting so I don't get any.

It's like when I go to buy Overcooked 2 but then I do research and people are like play 1 first, no play 2 only, and then there's DLC??, so I just don't get either. I am so bad at decisions y'all.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

I'd say 3 and 4 are the best, personally!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I like all of them except 2. 2's star games like Fibbage 2 and Quiplash XL have sequels on other Jackboxes with better lineups.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I'd be thrilled to get All-Stars, having owned it as a kid, but seeing that all the NES Mario's are there, is there any point? What did All-Stars add that we're missing?

Also, how come Nintendo never did such an amazing compilation again? (money obviously, but wow what were they thinking at the time?)

All stars has nice graphics

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

They should only add All Stars if they take the time to fix the physics bug in Mario 1 and Lost Levels

There's a single value that's supposed to be a negative number, but they left out the minus sign, and it makes it so any time you hit a block mario bounces upwards instead of bouncing back down, it's horrible

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ok, good to know. I'd still likely be getting that on Switch, since at least at my parents' place during the holidays, the Switch is more portable, and has, y'know.. other stuff on it, unlike our super old laptop.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

thexerox123 posted:

While I agree I consider SR2 my favourite since the story is way better. I was never a huge fan of the series going full monkey cheese.
Having the player be a full blown psychopath and the actual bad guy of the game felt pretty novel.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Lodin posted:

While I agree I consider SR2 my favourite since the story is way better. I was never a huge fan of the series going full monkey cheese.
Having the player be a full blown psychopath and the actual bad guy of the game felt pretty novel.

Sorry, my bad, I should have specified when multiple games were being discussed; I was talking about Jackbox!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

thexerox123 posted:

4 is really good too

3 is amazing imo

They're all great tbh

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I've been having problems with stuttering in DQXIs, the frame rate is pretty good but there's definitely notable "stutters" or frame-rate dips. I've talked to a bunch of people and nobody has experience with this in the game itself, so I'm wondering if it could be my Switch? I don't really know anything about how the tech behind a Switch works could dust or something have collected and be slowing it down? This is playing docked by the way. Any thoughts on a solution would help

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Try a hard reset. Hold down the power button for like 30 seconds and then reboot.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

URGENT REPORT
Dragon Quest XI owns
Dragon Quest XI on Switch owns even harder

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
does dragon quest XI own? everything I've seen from it so far it seems like a by-the numbers RPG.

So like, if you were to pick between Ni No Kuni and DQXI which one is the better game or better story?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Ni No Kuni is pretty, and that's it. It plays like gilded rear end.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Al-Saqr posted:

does dragon quest XI own? everything I've seen from it so far it seems like a by-the numbers RPG.

So like, if you were to pick between Ni No Kuni and DQXI which one is the better game or better story?

Dragon Quest is straight up comfort food. Everything about it is meant to appeal. The story is paced well and allows for easy drop in drop out gameplay. The mechanics are simple so that you can just enjoy yourself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Al-Saqr posted:

It’s by the numbers yeah but thats it’s appeal

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

That's exactly why it's good. Dragon Quest is Dragon Quest. It's comfort food. Steak isn't anything new or fancy or innovative, it's ultimately just a piece of meat, but a perfect steak is still a fantastic meal.

If you're vegetarian, replace that analogy with mashed potatoes.

If you're a steak snob, I don't want to hear it.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Al-Saqr posted:

I'm not the world's biggest jrpg guy but this is kind of what im liking the most about it. Its not going for some crazy gimmick or unusual premise. It just feels like a good honest swords and magic, level up and save the princess kind of game. (I'm a dragon quest noob).

There's a light hearted tone to it that I just love, its hard to describe without reading the text yourself but even the way it tells you to pick whichever brightness level looks best to you just feels very homely and warm.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

To me, something as simple as Dragon Quest has an appeal in a sea of JRPGs that are convoluted in both mechanics and plot. It doesn't do anything extraordinary but it doesn't have to in order to be an entertaining game.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I wouldn’t call DQ simple, just generic. It’s still pretty JRPG

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'm not the world's biggest jrpg guy but this is kind of what im liking the most about it. Its not going for some crazy gimmick or unusual premise. It just feels like a good honest swords and magic, level up and save the princess kind of game. (I'm a dragon quest noob).

There's a light hearted tone to it that I just love, its hard to describe without reading the text yourself but even the way it tells you to pick whichever brightness level looks best to you just feels very homely and warm.

One of the things I started really appreciating about the DQ main series games as I get older is that it has consistent identity. Like it's cool that FF in contrast is experimental and tries all sorts of stuff but if a new DQ game comes out, I know more or less what it's going to be like in terms of broad experience.

And DQ XI is seriously the best DQ game. Doesn't compromise what has always made the series enjoyable but has a lot of modern conveniences as well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

it’s very cozy and streamlined and extremely well-paced
yeah it’s as by-the-numbers as RPGs get but the simplicity makes it very easy to pick up and get absorbed in the the adventure, there’s nothing extraneous or excessive to get in the way.
In a lot of these sprawling 100-hour RPGs it can feel like you played for hours and barely got anything done. In DQ11 tho I can play for an hour and feel like I made meaningful progress.

No no Kuni kinda isn’t very good. It’s extremely pretty, but that’s kinda the best it’s got.

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 1, 2019

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I wouldn’t call DQ simple, just generic. It’s still pretty JRPG
Yeah, but it's generic because it created or at least popularized the genre.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah, but it's generic because it created or at least popularized the genre.

I’m not saying that as a knock. DQ is basically for people who half remember 90s JRPGs and gives people that. Which is a perfectly fine thing to do

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Dragon Quest XI is fantastic. It is extremely charming. It is my first Dragon Quest game and I feel like I really have been missing out.

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
You guys are making me want to buy DQXI. The only one I've played was VIII and never finished it, but I did enjoy it a lot. I just got Link's Awakening though so I want to clear out some more of my backlog before spending another $60 on a game that will take a lot of my time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Jingleheimer posted:

You guys are making me want to buy DQXI. The only one I've played was VIII and never finished it, but I did enjoy it a lot. I just got Link's Awakening though so I want to clear out some more of my backlog before spending another $60 on a game that will take a lot of my time.

Get the demo, it's 7-10 hours long and your progress carries over.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

DQ is probably the most earnest video game series in existence.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's been a drat good year for the Switch and the real GotY, Luigi's Mansion 3, hasn't even come out yet.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
can we get a gang tag for gooses?

untitled goose gang

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

canyoneer posted:

untitled goose gang

There is one, somewhere.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I'd buy Saints Row 2 if it came out on Switch. I liked how many more customized options you had for clothes, more than 3 - 4 had. Shaundi was much more chill, too.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

canyoneer posted:

untitled goose gang

Hi.

Also after I bought the tag that RandomFerret awesomely made, like 90% of the people in this thread who constantly complained about there not being a goose tag never actually bought it, so HONK all of you motherHONKers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Gumdrop Larry posted:

DQ is probably the most earnest video game series in existence.

I've seen it being compared to Doom. Both games effectively created their genres in video games, and both have steadfastly stuck to their roots.