Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Most cars come mic-ed for Bluetooth calls, how come you can't use Google Assistant to do whatever you need to in the car? Mic quality not good enough for assistant to be able to distinguish between background noise and voice commands?

A variety of reasons spring to mind but that isn't a problem even when my top is down and I'm on the highway (I also removed my windblocker and the mic is mounted on the seatback so it's literally as loud as it could be). The mic always does seem to pick me up fine without messing up what I say.

What's not good is the entirety of the rest of the experience. I don't know if it's just Mazdas but when I hit the mic button, the audio cuts out completely immediately. So now I've interrupted whatever I'm listening to whether I wanted to do that or not. Next, it's not ready to listen right away, I have to wait between 1-3 seconds for the confirmation BLOOP to know that Assistant is ready to listen. Also if anyone else is in the car you have to have them shut up for this whole experience and if they don't, it won't work and you'll have to start over and usually this fails because you're clicking the mic button before it's ready. If all of this wasn't bad enough the main reason though is that usually Assistant fucks it up or couldn't do what I want.

Let's take a typical example: I want to hear a song from this playlist that hasn't played yet. The playlist is shuffled so I don't know where in the playlist it is, but I know it's coming up. With the UI I can just look at the upcoming queue and select it but asking Assistant will mean playing the track I want, stopping the playlist, and starting a new radio station based on the track I'm requesting. If I save the interaction now, I'll be forced to interact again when the track is over to go back to the playlist I was on and probably have to relisten to tracks that I had previously advanced past. It's an easy choice to pick the UI in this situation.

In most cases I encounter there simply isn't an Assistant command for what I'm wanting to accomplish and even if there was, it's so slow and clunky in activation that it's just not worth doing. I'd also add that studies show that distraction isn't lessened just because you're using a voice interface. Just having a conversation distracts you as much as fiddling with the radio and I've found talking to Assistant to accomplish something takes far longer than using the UI for almost any task involving AA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Incessant Excess posted:

Most cars come mic-ed for Bluetooth calls, how come you can't use Google Assistant to do whatever you need to in the car? Mic quality not good enough for assistant to be able to distinguish between background noise and voice commands?

I have been so frustrated with Assistant (but haven't used it regularly since the beginning of the year).

-Regularly doesn't understand names.
-The commands will randomly work (ie, I didn't know if "text", "SMS", or "message" would actually send a message)
-Simple things like "give me directions to [contact name]" just wouldn't work.
-I just wouldn't remember the names of albums, so I'd wanna listen to a band, but didn't know how to get it to play anything besides their tracks in random.

It always felt like hitting a moving target where I'd never know what command would get it to do what I wanted. Took too much mental capacity while driving.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Lol at everyone suddenly needing a new alarm app. I'll put in my two cents and suggest Alarm Klock (sic). It's super lightweight, but not jam packed with features really. Just a very clean interface. However, the current version imo isn't nearly as good as v1.10 (apk is easily found). I don't quite remember why, though; it's been so long now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

Took too much mental capacity while driving.

I feel like even when you know the command and even if it worked perfectly every time you still nailed the main problem. Using Assistant while driving just takes way more mental energy than using a visual interface. After you take into account the amount of time it takes to respond to the button and issue the command, then visually verify it's doing what you asked you've been distracted far longer than just doing a command through the UI that you implicitly know how to do and don't need to devote all your attention to doing. It's way more mentally draining.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Android Apps: Delete Twitter, Use AMDroid for alarm clocks

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Deathlove posted:

Android Apps: Delete All Social Media Apps, Use AMDroid for alarm clocks

FTFY

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have a pretty extreme stance on this issue that I'm not gonna be softening up on, having lost a friend to a distracted driver. I'm also deeply opposed to how most new cars seem to have touchscreens, etc. I'll back out of this given my lack of flexibility on this.

This. A friend of mine was killed this weekend by someone running a red, so if you're distracted in any way while on the road, go gently caress yourself forever.

Use voice commands "Hey Google, play this playlist/album/artist/whatever". Keep your attention on the loving road.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Sort of related but every time I see an "influencer" on Snapchat using their phone I report them. Pisses me off.

Just make phones the key to use your vehicle and insert it into a slot to make car go.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

This. A friend of mine was killed this weekend by someone running a red, so if you're distracted in any way while on the road, go gently caress yourself forever.

Use voice commands "Hey Google, play this playlist/album/artist/whatever". Keep your attention on the loving road.

I'm very sorry for your loss, what an awful thing to go through :(

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Am I crazy or did HD Widgets used to allow you to select what app would load when you clicked on a particular widget? For example, when I click on a clock widget it opens the phone's alarm/stopwatch/timer app, but I'd like to switch that to AMDroid if there's a way?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Am I crazy or did HD Widgets used to allow you to select what app would load when you clicked on a particular widget? For example, when I click on a clock widget it opens the phone's alarm/stopwatch/timer app, but I'd like to switch that to AMDroid if there's a way?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Lol at everyone suddenly needing a new alarm app. I'll put in my two cents and suggest Alarm Klock (sic). It's super lightweight, but not jam packed with features really. Just a very clean interface. However, the current version imo isn't nearly as good as v1.10 (apk is easily found). I don't quite remember why, though; it's been so long now.

This appears to have the same issue as timely in that it doesn't actually act as a proper alarm any more in 10

It's just acting as a regular notification

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

AMDroid is doing something really annoying: before the alarm sound starts gently fading in like I intend, I get the standard notification chime at full whatever-that's-set-to volume, which instantly wakes me up. Was working as intended until this started happening maybe a week ago; I thought it might have been tied to an Android update but didn't pin it down then. Do Not Disturb has always been on. Any ideas for a system or AMDroid setting to look at? Pixel 3a, all the recent updates.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thanks. I think I need more sleep. I looked at the settings menu multiple times and somehow missed that.

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015
I keep seeing suggestions for AMDroid. I use Sleep As Android, and now I'm curious what are people's thoughts on which is better?

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

AMDroid is doing something really annoying: before the alarm sound starts gently fading in like I intend, I get the standard notification chime at full whatever-that's-set-to volume, which instantly wakes me up. Was working as intended until this started happening maybe a week ago; I thought it might have been tied to an Android update but didn't pin it down then. Do Not Disturb has always been on. Any ideas for a system or AMDroid setting to look at? Pixel 3a, all the recent updates.

This started happening for me too with android 10, I haven't tried to fix it at all I've just been annoyed by it. Could probably silence the alarm notification and still have the alarm go off, but I have no idea. Maybe set do not disturb to stay on until 5 minutes after the alarm?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Regretful Humming posted:

I keep seeing suggestions for AMDroid. I use Sleep As Android, and now I'm curious what are people's thoughts on which is better?

My understanding is that SAA is more of a sleep tracker than anything whereas AMDroid is a grabbag of alarm features you can piece together into a personalized whole.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Regretful Humming posted:

I know lots of apps have weird, goofy or mysterious names but this one really takes the cake. What the hell is that supposed to mean? My initial thought was that something was lost in translation, but the "more" section is nearly perfect English.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Oct 2, 2019

Regretful Humming
Apr 27, 2015

LastInLine posted:

My understanding is that SAA is more of a sleep tracker than anything whereas AMDroid is a grabbag of alarm features you can piece together into a personalized whole.

Ah, got it. Thanks for the answer.

Regretful Humming fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Oct 2, 2019

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I could have sworn "Sleep As Android" started as the Android port of an earlier project called "Sleep As" for a different OS. And they just never dropped the "Android" part once any other version was long dead?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I know lots of apps have weird, goofy or mysterious names but this one really takes the cake. What the hell is that supposed to mean? My initial thought was that something was lost in translation, but the "more" section is nearly perfect English.

I thought it was intended to make me dream of electric sheep.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Amdroid is nice but I find myself missing timely a lot. There's a lot of nice features but I don't really...need most of them?

Also why in the world does the default daily recurrence setting not include weekends? Why not just have every day selected and let me deselect days I don't want? For all the various options the app has I'd think I'd be able to change that, but it doesn't seem so.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm very sorry for your loss, what an awful thing to go through :(

You too, man. Before this weekend, I probably would have brushed off your post as at least a little hyperbolic, but yeah.

I've definitely been hyper-aware of my own level of attention these last few days.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is what I was going to say. It's honestly not hard to tell Google Assistant what you want to play. Like I get you will frustrate people by limiting screen access but much like seat belts, we should get used to it because it's safer on the whole

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

vyst posted:

This is what I was going to say. It's honestly not hard to tell Google Assistant what you want to play.
I've stopped using assistant to play music because it gets it wrong 90% of the time. I have 5 assistant speakers in my house and all I use them for is setting cooking timers and asking what the weather will be.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Wrist Watch posted:

Amdroid is nice but I find myself missing timely a lot. There's a lot of nice features but I don't really...need most of them?

:same:

I'm really missing the big fat snooze button in the centre and having to swipe gesture to dismiss. I'm so paranoid of accidentally dismissing an alarm (without the math problems bullshit) and Timely's design fixed that completely.

The colored screen coming on was nice too.

I also miss my old alarm sound. It's there a place to find them with FX or something and move them to the alarms folder?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

vyst posted:

This is what I was going to say. It's honestly not hard to tell Google Assistant what you want to play. Like I get you will frustrate people by limiting screen access but much like seat belts, we should get used to it because it's safer on the whole

I'm certainly not white knighting for touchscreen interfaces here, because I hate them, and my car doesn't have one. I'm just cranky as hell because with the onboard infotainment and an SD card, it's straightforward to use the big knob and the back button to browse around to my heart's content. It's not ideal but it's not that distracting because I can just spin away when I know I have a lot to scroll through, and then look back at the screen when I suspect I've gotten close. Trying to use AA through the same controls, I feel like I'm fighting against the UI to make it do what I want, and the frustration mounts quickly.

Google Assistant seems to work in the cases they expect, but since I don't normally use it, I'm stuck sitting there on the road trying to remember which specific phrase will make it do what I want. Last time I tried, it took me three tries before I said enough and just switched back to the onboard. On the first, it didn't understand me. On the second, I didn't use the right word order, so instead of the playlist called "Rush - All", it just played some random Rush. On the third, it played the right playlist, but in Google Play Music, when I wanted it to use Rocket Player. After every try, I had to look down at the screen to see what it had done. It did not reduce my distraction level.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Another thing about Assistant that I find distracting is that you need to get all your thinking done at once.

In my car, I can hit a button to go to the media player, wait, hit a button for tracks, wait, find the artist, wait, play the album. All those waits can be things like "oh, the light is green, I'm driving now" or whatever. If it takes me five minutes to play the new album, my car does care.

Like the phrase I used before, it's a bigger mental load, especially when it can't be broken up.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mak0rz posted:

:same:

I'm really missing the big fat snooze button in the centre and having to swipe gesture to dismiss. I'm so paranoid of accidentally dismissing an alarm (without the math problems bullshit) and Timely's design fixed that completely.

In AMDroid, the entire screen is a snooze button. You have to press and hold the tiny little dismiss button in order to permanently end the alarm.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
What I like about sleep as an Android is that I can set it to read a QR code to turn off the alarm, which makes me have to get out of bed and into the hallway to scan it.

Also useful I can disable snooze

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Vykk.Draygo posted:

In AMDroid, the entire screen is a snooze button. You have to press and hold the tiny little dismiss button in order to permanently end the alarm.

Didn't realize that. Thank you!

Still miss my cool blue screen though :colbert:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Mak0rz posted:

I also miss my old alarm sound. It's there a place to find them with FX or something and move them to the alarms folder?

Download the apk and just unzip it. They're buried quite deep from what i remember but they're all .oggs so easy to search for

They're also named completely differently to what they were called in the app too for some reason

Fart of Presto
Feb 9, 2001
Clapping Larry

Celexi posted:

What I like about sleep as an Android is that I can set it to read a QR code to turn off the alarm, which makes me have to get out of bed and into the hallway to scan it.

Also useful I can disable snooze

AMDroid also supports scanning QR codes, NFC chips or the barcode on a beer in your fridge.
You can choose different challenges for snooze and disable alarm.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

hot date tonight! posted:

This started happening for me too with android 10, I haven't tried to fix it at all I've just been annoyed by it. Could probably silence the alarm notification and still have the alarm go off, but I have no idea. Maybe set do not disturb to stay on until 5 minutes after the alarm?
Yeah I think you're right it started with Android 10. DND is on and not stopping it for me so idk. One of the few things I noticed with 10 is it started grouping some notifications when you pull them down into "silent notifications" like the traffic and weather ones and I wonder if it's something to do with that subsystem.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Mak0rz posted:

Didn't realize that. Thank you!

I realized after I posted that this, too, is probably customizable, so you might want to make sure you have the settings correct so you can't blame me when you accidentally turn your alarm off.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah I think you're right it started with Android 10. DND is on and not stopping it for me so idk. One of the few things I noticed with 10 is it started grouping some notifications when you pull them down into "silent notifications" like the traffic and weather ones and I wonder if it's something to do with that subsystem.

Yeah, it's why I switched back to the stock alarm clock app. 10 did something...weird.

quantegy
May 18, 2002

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah, it's why I switched back to the stock alarm clock app. 10 did something...weird.

I've been having the same problem, finally dug into it today. In the notification settings there is a notification for "Ongoing alarm" apparently this must be enabled for android 10 for the alarms to work. I was able to set the notification sound to 'none' which seems to let the alarm ring normally but gets rid of the notification sound.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Hi,
I'm looking for an app that can start another app when bluetooth connects. One app that I found that seemed to fit the bill was Automate. Got it, installed some pre-made flows, gave it permissions up the wazoo, but it just doesn't want to work. To do what it says it should do. Maybe it's an Android 10 thing.

Is there anything else out there that can do the job?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I used to recommended trigger for that kind of stuff but it got kind of abandoned

Now I use MacroDroid, it can do all sorts of stuff like that but isn't quite as hardcore as tasker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Skarsnik posted:

I used to recommended trigger for that kind of stuff but it got kind of abandoned

Now I use MacroDroid, it can do all sorts of stuff like that but isn't quite as hardcore as tasker

Thanks for the suggestion. The capabilities of MacroDroid are fine, I don't need anything complicated (just trigger + start app). The problem is that this one doesn't work either. It may be something with Android 10, new API(s) maybe or something. The developer complained a few years back that sometimes the device connected trigger of BT doesn't always work. Thought it may be solved by now.