Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kchama posted:

This doesn't really make any sense to me. Like, okay, I don't have any sort of the generic 'brain fills in' thing you're talking about so whatever... but you undermine that by talking about Alien (which, by the way, was known for its very ahead of its time visual effects so it's a pretty terrible example of 'a guy in a rubber suit') and how its, in game terms, bad graphics ruins things. Why doesn't that work with video games? Aren't you seeing the guy in the rubber suit with lovely sprites or low-poly models then and realizing there's nothing but a man in a rubber suit there? Why do bad video game graphics magically make you see everything in a completely different light than bad movie graphics?

You completely missed the point.

You don't see the Alien in Alien until like 1 hour 30 minutes into the film. You only see brief glimpses of a finger or a tail or a shadow on the wall for most of the movie. It having ahead of its time visual effects doesn't change that, nor does it change that seeing the alien in full bright lighting isn't as scary as being told there's a crazy monster on the ship and seeing people die one by one by one and not being sure what the gently caress the thing even is.

All I can say is read my post again because I'd just say the same things again trying to explain what you misunderstood.

Its not about bad graphics. You're completely missing the point. Its about not having everything be shown. I gave the example of D&D miniatures and Dark Souls' story, did you just skip that completely? Its not about bad graphics. Alien didn't have bad graphics and I didn't say it did. Alien kept the monster in shadow. Okay? And similarly, by their nature, sprites aren't a complete image, they're a compressed implication. Artistry in sprite art allows them to imply way more detail than is actually present, and you fill in the rest. You see a simple checker pattern on a shirt and you imagine its a much more detailed pattern, because it reminds your brain of shirts you've seen like that. Things like that.

Consider this sprite

See how the bandana is literally a line of single pixels? Its not really a bandana. But you see a red line on a forehead with a slight angle at the end, and you imagine a red cloth tied around his head, with a knot and a ribbon bit flowing in the wind at the end. That isn't actually there, but you can easily imagine that's what its supposed to be.

Better yet, lets go back to NES

He still has the bandana, but its even simpler, its just a couple black pixels. But you still see it. Your brain interprets the image as a banana on a forehead. Look at how beefy that guy's arm is. Its a very simple sprite, but its easy to fill in the details and imagine an Arnold Schwarzenegger type character going around shirtless with a huge gun, Commando style.

I mean look at that gun! If you didn't have the context of a guy holding a gun, you wouldn't be able to tell that's even supposed to be a gun. But given the context, you can imagine its a gun.

Its less true of EQ since its full 3D, but its still got simple models with sprite art textures, and the world is fairly low-poly and abstract enough with heavy fog and that leaves room for you to fill in details with your imagination. Doom is the same way, the levels being abstract makes them more free to do things and also gives you room to imagine things. Hyper detailed modern graphics leaves no such room for interpretation.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i just like kinda lovely late 90s 3d for some reason.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

everquest is just mass multiplayer online fishing with some gambling mechanics and if you need to write a essay to explain the appeal, you're sober :wotwot:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

EQ's got some gnarly graphics and the old-world zones are pretty gross, but there's definitely a nostalgic charm about them. It's telling that so many players seem to prefer the classic models to the Luclin ones. And the sheer size and scope of the world was unmatched at its release.

Also - I managed to get this running on Linux under Wine. This may have an effect on my lunch breaks. :unsmigghh:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zodium posted:

everquest is just mass multiplayer online fishing

:stare:

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Zodium posted:

everquest is just mass multiplayer online fisting

FTFY

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

DizzyBum posted:

EQ's got some gnarly graphics and the old-world zones are pretty gross, but there's definitely a nostalgic charm about them. It's telling that so many players seem to prefer the classic models to the Luclin ones.

The original models had personality and character. They had all kinds of flaws (such as dyed armor coloring exposed skin as well as the armor itself) and mistakes (e.g., Erudite helms, Halfling female feet). It would've been nice to have more customization options for things like body size and type, skin and hair color, etc., and it would've been nice if armor weren't all effectively painted onto the body rather than 3D modeled. But there was a clear artistry and attention to detail behind every model and its armors (especially the Velious ones).

The Luclin models looked like someone whipped them up in Poser in 30 minutes. Every model looked like a differently sized version of the Human one with a few cosmetic tweaks. The animations were beyond terrible and were barely half finished at release. Trolls and Ogres looked radically different from their original state; even if you liked the new Trolls and Ogres better, it's impossible to argue that the change from classic to Luclin models was contiguous. After the artists spent the time to create six new armors for each race with Velious, Luclin bafflingly returned to only three per race. There was a setting you could change in an .ini file that would awkwardly stretch the Velious textures onto the new models, but it was like a bad joke.

It's natural for players in an MMO to develop a certain attachment to their characters, especially when those characters require as much time as EQ's to develop. The Luclin models took everything that was unique and cool about the character models and threw it out the window in a rushed hack job for the sake of being able to advertise "Look! Higher polygon counts!" I didn't hate the Luclin models because I have a special fondness for low-poly 90s 3D; I hated the Luclin models because they're loving rancid garbage. I would've been happy to see new models that preserved the artistic integrity of the originals, but it's saddening that even now, 20 years later, current EQ continues to use the Luclin abominations.

Hic Sunt Dracones fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 1, 2019

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

The original models had personality and character. They had all kinds of flaws (such as dyed armor coloring exposed skin as well as the armor itself) and mistakes (e.g., Erudite helms, Halfling female feet).integrity of the originals, but it's saddening that even now, 20 years later, current EQ continues to use the Luclin abominations.

dopropertinting=True

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
My favorite thing would be when an enchanter could turn themselves into a character model that was not expecting a certain piece of armor to be displayed, such as turning into a halfling while wearing a robe of discord, and it would just give you a tinted 'naked' shirt in lieu of displaying the texture of the item.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Alpha models best models

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

It's natural for players in an MMO to develop a certain attachment to their characters, especially when those characters require as much time as EQ's to develop. The Luclin models took everything that was unique and cool about the character models and threw it out the window in a rushed hack job for the sake of being able to advertise "Look! Higher polygon counts!" I didn't hate the Luclin models because I have a special fondness for low-poly 90s 3D; I hated the Luclin models because they're loving rancid garbage. I would've been happy to see new models that preserved the artistic integrity of the originals, but it's saddening that even now, 20 years later, current EQ continues to use the Luclin abominations.

yeah i remember my brother showing me the luclin updates and wondering why trolls and ogres looked totally different instead of high-poly versions of themselves. i also thought eq2 characters looked like poser models.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah i remember my brother showing me the luclin updates and wondering why trolls and ogres looked totally different instead of high-poly versions of themselves. i also thought eq2 characters looked like poser models.

They were so bad that a company for the Asian/Pacific market redid most of the models. For awhile SoE didnt allow people to use it anywhere else but i guess they allowed it eventually.

before

after

Flunky
Jan 2, 2014

The Luclin models have some of the worst character animations ever put in a major video game. They're shockingly terrible

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Flunky posted:

The Luclin models have some of the worst character animations ever put in a major video game. They're shockingly terrible

i gotta look em up based on what everyone's saying cuz i had only seen screenshots.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
In screenshots they're probably fine but the animations are pretty horrible all-around.

Everybody sits on their knees and runs on their tiptoes.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

suuma posted:

In screenshots they're probably fine but the animations are pretty horrible all-around.

Oh god, I remember turning on Luclin models on live many years ago while leveling a human bard. Her run animation was somewhere between a Naruto run and falling forward.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...
Don't forget the lovely redesigns of old cities and starting zones for the sake of "modernizing" them. The new versions somehow looked worse and were also more difficult to navigate.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Anarch posted:

Don't forget the lovely redesigns of old cities and starting zones for the sake of "modernizing" them. The new versions somehow looked worse and were also more difficult to navigate.

I don't remember this. Was it post-Luclin?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

DizzyBum posted:

I don't remember this. Was it post-Luclin?

They redesigned Freeport and it sucked. I don't know about the others but in that case it was done around EQ2s launch so definitely post luclin.

Edit: they also merged some zones, like the commonlands.

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

Re: EQ luclin and (especially) base EQ2 models looking like they're from Poser,
I was a guide on live for a while and there was a community of guides that would recreate their characters and roleplay scenarios in Poser, the internal forum had a huge thread with these works of art :v: my biggest regret from that period is that I didn't save any of the pics they made. And that I didn't save cshome's files. And that I didn't quit being a guide by summoning&binding people in veeshan's chamber or over the hole.

The videos made by this lady have the exact same vibe. I remember when I saw these it gave me bigtime flashbacks to the guides, and not just because this video was made with poser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERXq3r1Kq0Q

e: oh god i forgot about redesigned freeport in eq1. what an absolute mess that shows they had no intent of preserving the spirit or the feel of the zone. it was, like mentioned before, just for the HIGHER POLYCOUNTS.

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 1, 2019

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Sankis posted:

They redesigned Freeport and it sucked. I don't know about the others but in that case it was done around EQ2s launch so definitely post luclin.

Edit: they also merged some zones, like the commonlands.

The redid desert of ro suuuuucks compared to the original

Luckily I've only encountered it like once, stopped playing at luclin or maybe planes, and it was after that. Only saw it when I logged into live years later.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

suuma posted:

A few Luclin model animation highlights I remember:

When I sat down on my Gnome male, my robe didn't conform to my body, so the bottom half of the robe remained vertical and rigid and clipped straight into the ground, while my character's knees clipped through the front of the robe.

There was one emote - I think it was /point but am not sure - where my character's head would move forward, but somehow they screwed it up, and my eyes and mouth/teeth would remain in their original position. The result was some ghastly nightmare fuel as my eyes and mouth receded into the back of my skull, leaving grotesque voids. I used to kind of enjoy this one, especially in telling friends and guildmates "position your camera to focus on my face... now wait for it..."

I don't recall exactly how, but there was something Halfling males could do (maybe /cheer?) that had the opposite effect of causing their eyes and mouth to fly forward out of their faces.

These were all fixed within about 6 months, but holy poo poo were the Luclin models obviously released without any meaningful amount of testing or quality control.

Hic Sunt Dracones fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 1, 2019

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

EVIL Gibson posted:

They were so bad that a company for the Asian/Pacific market redid most of the models. For awhile SoE didnt allow people to use it anywhere else but i guess they allowed it eventually.

after

As a diehard original models fan, this is legit good and I would be down to use it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Gray Matter posted:

As a diehard original models fan, this is legit good and I would be down to use it

that's EQ2.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I had barely any time to play this weekend but I got a bard to level 3 from yard trash in Freeport. Trying to hoard a lot of bone chips so I can hop over to East Commons at 5 and sell them off for some starter funds.

Any quests I should do while I'm murdering things in the area? I know Deathfist Belt turn-ins are supposed to be a good one. I also found one where you turn in 4 Orc Picks for a lottery ticket.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015

DizzyBum posted:

I had barely any time to play this weekend but I got a bard to level 3 from yard trash in Freeport. Trying to hoard a lot of bone chips so I can hop over to East Commons at 5 and sell them off for some starter funds.

Any quests I should do while I'm murdering things in the area? I know Deathfist Belt turn-ins are supposed to be a good one. I also found one where you turn in 4 Orc Picks for a lottery ticket.

Head to Nro, and kill all the skeletons that wander from around the EFP zoneline to the start of the sand dunes. Gather up large bunches and chant em down with cords of dissonance. Grab a HP buff and Sow in the tunnel to speed it up a bit. Do that until you're level 5 and have around 320 bone chips. Then head to Kaladim and hand all the bone chips into the paladin guild. That will get you around level 11-12. Go to Kelethin and buy the level 8 lull and level 15 mez while you're in Faydwer. Then head to North Karana (get a bind at the gypsies) and swarm kite wisps until they turn green. Start off with one wisp and practice swarming until you can kill it without being hit and then gradually increase the number. Keep the lightstones and greater lightstones... when the wisps are green start turning them in to one of the gypsies (wiki will tell you), the greater lightstone quest gives you a book that sells for 10pp. If you do this enough you'll be lvl 17-18 and have a couple hundred pp.

At this point, if you want to keep swarming then i'd spend that couple hundred on a MM drum and lute. If you want to want to start grouping in dungeons and stuff then i'd spend it on a weapon and a suit of banded.

GL :)

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

smiling giraffe posted:

Head to Nro, and kill all the skeletons that wander from around the EFP zoneline to the start of the sand dunes. Gather up large bunches and chant em down with cords of dissonance. Grab a HP buff and Sow in the tunnel to speed it up a bit. Do that until you're level 5 and have around 320 bone chips. Then head to Kaladim and hand all the bone chips into the paladin guild. That will get you around level 11-12. Go to Kelethin and buy the level 8 lull and level 15 mez while you're in Faydwer. Then head to North Karana (get a bind at the gypsies) and swarm kite wisps until they turn green. Start off with one wisp and practice swarming until you can kill it without being hit and then gradually increase the number. Keep the lightstones and greater lightstones... when the wisps are green start turning them in to one of the gypsies (wiki will tell you), the greater lightstone quest gives you a book that sells for 10pp. If you do this enough you'll be lvl 17-18 and have a couple hundred pp.

At this point, if you want to keep swarming then i'd spend that couple hundred on a MM drum and lute. If you want to want to start grouping in dungeons and stuff then i'd spend it on a weapon and a suit of banded.

GL :)

That is solid. Thanks a lot! I'm halfway through 3 and I've been hoarding all my bone chips since the start. I'll relocate to NRo and start murdering skellies there. Hopefully I can get some tunnel buffs.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
Also feel free to post the name of your character for some drive by goon love if you like.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
I've been playing on an emulated server for beta that just recently launched on October 3rd for their "official" release with a server wipe. It's been a good mix of QOL improvements and some custom gear/quests...but I've found one of the biggest selling points to be an expansion of the allowed race/class combos. For a game that many of us have played numerous times over, it's a surprising breath of fresh air. If any of you care to join me, feel free to send a tell/message on Discord to Villainous/Bumping. Below are a few details relating to the server (put together by some of the staff).

WEBSITE | DISCORD

Introduction
Clumsy's World (CW) has returned! The first iteration of CW ran from 2006 to 2012 and it has finally returned. CW is a semi-custom, 2-box, legit, Kunark-era server with newer QoL features, and custom modern amenities. CW is not a classic-progression server. The server will progress to Velious naturally then move into completely custom content. CW aims to be a medium between being casual-friendly while still providing challenging end-game content. Most of what you know from Kunark still exists but many things are tweaked or customized to fit into our vision. Your knowledge is still relevant but there will still be new twists and experiences.

Lore
What the players know, as of Velious, is that Kerafyrm was the illegal child of two opposing elemental dragons, creating a powerful prismatic dragon. Kerafyrm rose quickly to great strengths, becoming an exceptional general, but developed an insatiable hatred and blood-lust. Because of this he was seen as a threat by the Council of Elders and Veeshan sentenced him to death. An acquaintance of Kerafyrm's decided instead to lock him away in a prison, known as Sleeper's Tomb.

During his rise to power Kerafyrm acquired many followers; they were known as Ancients. Who are they, what were their motivations, and what would become of them if the Sleeper were ever set free?

CW dives straight into the world you remember and expands on the stories of the Ancients and follows the Resurgence of Kerafyrm. Come join us as we embark on this journey.

So What Can You Expect?
  • Additional Race/Class Combinations (Halfling Bard, Troll Cleric, Half-Elf Shadowknight and more!)
  • Experience rates tailored to favor groups over solo play
  • Heavy server-wide tuning of difficulties and mechanics (most raids can be done with 2-4 groups).
  • Raid Instancing
  • Nerfed/Removed Items Reintroduced to the game
  • Removal/Re-purposing of Out-of-Era items
  • Modified Loot Tables (e.g. Manastone, Guise, pre-nerf COS are all in!)
  • Scions/Boats replaced with Translocators
  • Content-locked at Classic-Velious (Kunark is open at the start)
  • Quality of life improvements like Extended Targeting and Click-from-bag
  • Player Mentoring (De-level to play with lower level friends
  • The Ancients: Completely Unique Group/Raid Encounters
  • Custom & Revamped Dungeons
  • Custom Kunark Gear Sets for Int Casters & Monks
  • Various Custom NPCs/Quests/Items added to the existing world
  • Upgradeable Armor, Weapons, Accessories, and Charms
  • No Required/Recommended Levels & FV-style loot (almost all is droppable)
  • Hub Zone with Quest NPCs, Progression Trackers, Translocators, Soulbinder, Corpse Summoner, and more
  • Spellscriber: Complete quests to gain access to more powerful spells
  • Challenge Encounters that test player's coordination and endurance in difficult wave/ring style events
  • Pets can tank and hold aggro

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

North Ro is working out well so far. I played a bit this morning and killed lots of skeletons. The nearby vendors are great for dumping all the rusty weapons and cloth armor, too.

Meatgrinder posted:

Also feel free to post the name of your character for some drive by goon love if you like.

Pylena on Blue. I'm usually on in the morning (Eastern time). Thanks!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

gepgepgep posted:

I've been playing on an emulated server for beta that just recently launched on October 3rd for their "official" release with a server wipe. It's been a good mix of QOL improvements and some custom gear/quests...but I've found one of the biggest selling points to be an expansion of the allowed race/class combos. For a game that many of us have played numerous times over, it's a surprising breath of fresh air. If any of you care to join me, feel free to send a tell/message on Discord to Villainous/Bumping. Below are a few details relating to the server (put together by some of the staff).

WEBSITE | DISCORD

Introduction
Clumsy's World (CW) has returned! The first iteration of CW ran from 2006 to 2012 and it has finally returned. CW is a semi-custom, 2-box, legit, Kunark-era server with newer QoL features, and custom modern amenities. CW is not a classic-progression server. The server will progress to Velious naturally then move into completely custom content. CW aims to be a medium between being casual-friendly while still providing challenging end-game content. Most of what you know from Kunark still exists but many things are tweaked or customized to fit into our vision. Your knowledge is still relevant but there will still be new twists and experiences.
That sounds legit cool. :black101:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah I'll play the poo poo outta that, gently caress a green server.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The idea behind it reminds me of Shards of Dalaya, which is a good thing. The 2-box limit is better than a 3+ limit, but I still don't particularly like boxing at all. I guess it's good if you want to play a strongly group-reliant class, but it very much ruins ~muh immersion~

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Sounds interesting but boxing of any kind is an instant no from me.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
It normally is from me too but I think the pros outweigh it enough to at least give it a check-out.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

multiboxing is so weird.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah I don't have the patience to manage more than one character at a time. Sounds neat, though.

I have a backpack full of bone chips right now. I'll head over to Kaladim once I fill up another; I should be 5 by then.

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006

Anarch posted:

That sounds legit cool. :black101:

Slim Killington posted:

Yeah I'll play the poo poo outta that, gently caress a green server.
Come play! Setup instructions are on the Discord. If you're lazy, PM me and I can send the :filez: details.

To the multi-boxing averse: you're perfectly capable of playing a single character here. We've got a small guild going that'd happily welcome more. With the ability for higher levels to temporarily mentor (de-level) their mains to group with you it's pretty easy.

A few other features I've found to be enjoyable and worth noting:
  • Weekly hotzone rotation with stated ZEMs. This week had Befallen at 2.0 base ZEM + 0.75 hotzone bonus.
  • Melees can be bound in a lot more locations. e.g. My SK is bound outside SolB. The translocator from home zone can port you to bind.
  • Casters can bind inside most dungeons and other areas.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

gepgepgep posted:

Come play! Setup instructions are on the Discord. If you're lazy, PM me and I can send the :filez: details.

To the multi-boxing averse: you're perfectly capable of playing a single character here. We've got a small guild going that'd happily welcome more. With the ability for higher levels to temporarily mentor (de-level) their mains to group with you it's pretty easy.

A few other features I've found to be enjoyable and worth noting:
  • Weekly hotzone rotation with stated ZEMs. This week had Befallen at 2.0 base ZEM + 0.75 hotzone bonus.
  • Melees can be bound in a lot more locations. e.g. My SK is bound outside SolB. The translocator from home zone can port you to bind.
  • Casters can bind inside most dungeons and other areas.

what's the active population like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gepgepgep
May 22, 2006
Low, as it just launched from beta. Peak has been around 20 during US evenings.

Very helpful people though and because of the FV-style loot it certainly seems like everyone has more of a "let me share and help" approach versus P99/TLPs "how much RMT/Krono you give for loot rights?!"

Edit: and these days, I'd rather take that over the land rush shitshow that Green will be.