Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Nail Rat posted:

Liberals control just about every major city even in red states, I wouldn't worry about it just yet.

Dead wrong. The heavily militarized/white supremacist-infiltrated police control every major city in red states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1179090332954370048

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1179030151901974533

https://twitter.com/kpolantz/status/1179069803912413185

Hairy Marionette
Apr 22, 2005

I am not immune to propaganda

Prester Jane posted:

Tons and tons and tons of Republicans want a Civil War, and all the rich amoral psychopaths in the MIC are just as happy to profit off a domestic Civil War as they are off of all the foreign ones they've caused.

I don't think this is true. We haven't outsourced the MIC to other countries yet. A local war would threaten their factories.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Feldegast42 posted:

We are all loving dead

Like I have the steady realization that things are coming to a point and most likely I, and everyone I know, will be dead in a year and a half and the country embroiled in a war that makes Syria look like a silly slapfight

I really don't know if I can handle this anymore

Even if you were posting from Iran this still wouldn't be remotely true.

Maybe volunteer at a refugee centre and grow some perspective

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

It's pretty depressing that he can make a few bucks from that scam. He's not a particularly successful grifter, but it just bums me out that there are still people who will give him cash for absolutely pathetic spectacles like that.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

SchrodingersCat posted:

I dunno, I feel like it should say something to the effect of "You'd better show up or we are throwing your rear end in jail".
I am pretty sure that's exactly what it says. That, or "We're leveling incredibly severe fines."

It's going to be an escalation of words, until something happens.

I am at a loss as to any realistic physical mechanism where Congress can - without any support from the DOJ - put anybody in jail, tho. The 'sergeant at arms' is symbolic and should not be taken as anyone with real power.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Nail Rat posted:

In the Guyger trial they're really talking about why she "failed" a polygraph test?

Really? They're pretending this poo poo is real?

The prosecution is bringing it up purely for the sentencing phase. They're bringing up failed polygraph, failed drug testing, and her previous failed attempt to join Fort Worth PD. Basically they're hoping it will color her in whatever light brings a harsher sentence from the judge.

The evidence was never considered during the jury trial, I don't think.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Jaxyon posted:

Um no civil war is a fringe idea that would make the average Republican poo poo their pants. The only ones who really think about it are fringe militia types. Which there are too many of, but not at all a significant amount.

This is exactly what people were saying about Trump supporters four years ago.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

This thread is obsessed with the sergeant at arms for some reason. That person will not be arresting anyone. The sitting US Secretary of State is not going to be put in jail.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

The prosecution is bringing it up purely for the sentencing phase. They're bringing up failed polygraph, failed drug testing, and her previous failed attempt to join Fort Worth PD. Basically they're hoping it will color her in whatever light brings a harsher sentence from the judge.

The evidence was never considered during the jury trial, I don't think.

Haha, what?!

If the jury knew that before hand, they would have been out of there yesterday.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

dwarf74 posted:

I am pretty sure that's exactly what it says. That, or "We're leveling incredibly severe fines."

I am at a loss as to any realistic physical mechanism where Congress can - without any support from the DOJ - put anybody in jail, tho. The 'sergeant at arms' is symbolic and should not be taken as anyone with real power.

Could he beat up Pompeo with his cool mace?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

beejay posted:

This thread is obsessed with the sergeant at arms for some reason.

people are deeply hungry for immediate justice against the criminal administration

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

beejay posted:

This thread is obsessed with the sergeant at arms for some reason. That person will not be arresting anyone. The sitting US Secretary of State is not going to be put in jail.

It's either obsess over the sergeant-at-arms or acknowledge that Congress's power to investigate the executive has been lost forever and only one of those leads to that Feldegast42 post

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

beejay posted:

I think the issue is...then what is there at all that prevents him from doing whatever he wants? Anyone in the administration from doing whatever they want?There's no check if there's no way to enforce some kind of punishment.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Nail Rat posted:

Could he beat up Pompeo with his cool mace?

"THIS is true fascist power!" *wham*

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Levitate posted:

I think the issue is...then what is there at all that prevents him from doing whatever he wants? Anyone in the administration from doing whatever they want?There's no check if there's no way to enforce some kind of punishment.

Agreed. If there's no way to get him to comply with a subpoena, we are in a dictatorship and we may as well stop this impeachment proceeding altogether. Trump won't ever show for a trial even if McConnell brings it to the floor.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

beejay posted:

You're talking like the system has already failed- like we can't rely on rich politicians to fight against their class interest and instead the body politic will need to save itself from fascism.

Such talk makes people deeply uncomfortable. Stop that.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
As a cleric the Sergeant-at-Arms is forbidden from using edged weapons.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

SchrodingersCat posted:

I dunno, I feel like it should say something to the effect of "You'd better show up or we are throwing your rear end in jail".

See: "is illegal". This is lawyer speak for "you will face punishment".

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Levitate posted:

That is certainly a massive problem with this country and something that needs to be fixed. There are way too many things that are vague or unenforceable and have just skated along on decorum for 200 years.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

dwarf74 posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Capitol Police isn't under Justice and both the Sergeant at Arms and House Committees are involved in it's governance.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
If the Sargent at Arms is some feckless symbolic position, then Congress has no real power because the only real power to investigate anything at that point lies with the DOJ which is currently compromised and complicit.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Young Freud posted:

Haha, what?!

If the jury knew that before hand, they would have been out of there yesterday.

My source is a local radio show, so those details may be fuzzy, but I was to understand the prosecution brought up new evidence purely for sentencing that for whatever reason wasn't allowed in the main trial.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Levitate posted:

That really is the big problem we're facing right now. Either Congress completely commits itself for a chance of potentially enforcing some sort of check, or they almost explicitly cannot do so.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

pthighs posted:

As a cleric the Sergeant-at-Arms is forbidden from using edged weapons.

Clerics of the Tetragrammaton are more than capable of using edged weapons. Check and mate.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

luxury handset posted:

people are deeply hungry for immediate justice against the criminal administration

The House is making the mistake of approaching this as a Nixon-type situation where only the top of the executive branch is corrupted.

The entire executive branch is corrupted and they need to purge it, root and branch. Nice words and empty threats aren't going to cut it. If they are sending subpoenas to executive branch officials and being refused, and the DoJ shields them, then we have a situation where the rule of government has broken down and steps need to be taken to remove those corrupt officials. I am not sure we have guidelines for dealing with a situation where an entire branch of our government has gone rogue.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Prester Jane posted:

hey pj

the person this comment is responding to is currently catastrophizing to a shockingly unhealthy degree.

this poo poo is the exact opposite of helpful in this situation

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Capitol Police isn't under Justice and both the Sergeant at Arms and House Committees are involved in it's governance.

Seems that way, the US Capitol Police are the only police force in the country that answer to the Legislative branch of the US Government.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Prester Jane posted:

Are you really going to sit there and make the argument that civil war is, in fact, likely because Donald Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million to an incredibly unpopular Democratic candidate?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

dwarf74 posted:

*waggles hand* the guy's in charge of and has staff for security in the House wing and House offices, and sort-of can get the Capitol Police to do things

but yeah I don't really see him going and arresting Mike Pompeo

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GreyjoyBastard posted:

*waggles hand* the guy's in charge of and has staff for security in the House wing and House offices, and sort-of can get the Capitol Police to do things

but yeah I don't really see him going and arresting Mike Pompeo

In that case wrap it up because what other incentive does Pompeo have to come, or to send any of the people under his umbrella whom have been subpoenaed?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

almost like the founding fathers were dumb and instituted a system worse than the one they rebelled against.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Dammerung posted:

That really is the big problem we're facing right now. Either Congress completely commits itself for a chance of potentially enforcing some sort of check, or they almost explicitly cannot do so.

I trust Democratic leadership to be pragmatic and make the right call here. If Congress completely committing itself to a course of action would potentially isolate moderate conservative voters- then it's not a course of action Congress should take.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

* for most people, anyway. For a subset of people it is going to continue to not be okay.

The whole point of a gentle platitude is to ease a person. It is completely possible to drag absolutely everything in the dirt but thanks for making GBS threads on that.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SchrodingersCat posted:

The House is making the mistake of approaching this as a Nixon-type situation where only the top of the executive branch is corrupted.

The entire executive branch is corrupted and they need to purge it, root and branch. Nice words and empty threats aren't going to cut it. If they are sending subpoenas to executive branch officials and being refused, and the DoJ shields them, then we have a situation where the rule of government has broken down and steps need to be taken to remove those corrupt officials. I am not sure we have guidelines for dealing with a situation where an entire branch of our government has gone rogue.

It will be okay*.

*for the white professionals who are exempt from being Pragmatically Sacrificed for the greater good of the Democratic party.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Are you really going to sit there and make the argument that civil war is, in fact, likely because Donald Trump lost the popular vote by 3 million to an incredibly unpopular Democratic candidate?

Everything must be a crisis because things are bad. Not that the president threatinging civil war isnt a crisis in a different way.

Also the police are military genius ubermensch and the comparatively small number in ever city will all band together and manage to take over the cities.

Its literally a prepper argument but the other way.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

beejay posted:

The Sergeant At Arms is really a metaphor for the Capitol Police on the whole.

And the problem is this: If they don't put anyone in jail, then Congress loses the power to issue functional subpoenas against Republicans.

This is a nightmare scenario, and the Sergeant of Arms (through the capitol police) arrest people is literally the only alternative.

So what you're saying is: "The people in this thread think the House has oversight powers. They don't! No one does! The administration can do whatever it wants and literally no one will be able to stop them!"

So you might understand why people in this thread might not be all to into embracing the sentiment that "nothing matters", now, at what may be the most hopeful moment we've had in a long time.

bird cooch posted:

The whole point of a gentle platitude is to ease a person. It is completely possible to drag absolutely everything in the dirt but thanks for making GBS threads on that.

Sorry, should have specified the people it will be okay for almost certainly includes him.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Levitate posted:

Nail Rat posted:

Agreed. If there's no way to get him to comply with a subpoena, we are in a dictatorship and we may as well stop this impeachment proceeding altogether. Trump won't ever show for a trial even if McConnell brings it to the floor.

Mahoning posted:

If the Sargent at Arms is some feckless symbolic position, then Congress has no real power because the only real power to investigate anything at that point lies with the DOJ which is currently compromised and complicit.

Nail Rat posted:

In that case wrap it up because what other incentive does Pompeo have to come, or to send any of the people under his umbrella whom have been subpoenaed?

- sue to get them all held in normal civil contempt in normal court, leading to either escalating fines, indefinite imprisonment until they comply, or both
- whack them all with inherent contempt fines that are then upheld in normal court

congress is not, in fact, out of options if they don't want to have House security / the Capitol Police throw Donald Trump's entire cabinet in House Jail

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Prester Jane posted:

I trust Democratic leadership to be pragmatic and make the right call here. If Congress completely committing itself to a course of action would potentially isolate moderate conservative voters- then it's not a course of action Congress should take.

Being "pragmatic" in this situation requires powers of prognostication the majority of congress have indicated they absolutely do not possess. There is no pragmatic course forward here. Like with climate change, that ship has sailed - there is only defeat, or a radical and uncertain but necessary action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Threatening the press with libel is such a weird thing to do because you have to prove that they are wrong in court, by presenting evidence of such, which is an issue if they are telling the truth.