Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

I love meaningless nonspeak like 'made from scratch'. Yes, of course it is. You have to start with base ingredients to make something. You can't just peel a half-ready crust from a tree and add some finishing touches to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

cyberia posted:

I love meaningless nonspeak like 'made from scratch'. Yes, of course it is. You have to start with base ingredients to make something. You can't just peel a half-ready crust from a tree and add some finishing touches to it.

Scratch as in money.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The Pizza Hut two towns away from me delivers beer, which wasn't something I thought TABC would let happen. But it's a thing now.

e. like, legit delivers alcohol, not "tell the driver to pick up a case of beer on the way and I'll pay him back" delivers alcohol.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

cyberia posted:

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cyberia posted:

Sandra Lee begs to differ

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

they said beer, not toilet water

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
drat it, I'm late for Pie Chat.

I even brought pie.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cyberia posted:

Fun fact that I learned in restaurant law. You can take Campbell's condensed soup, make it according to the can recipe. Add, like, some cheese or parsley. And legally can call something "house made" on a restaurant menu. Caveat, I took the class over a decade ago at this point so that may have changed. But it's still interesting.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Fun fact that I learned in restaurant law. You can take Campbell's condensed soup, make it according to the can recipe. Add, like, some cheese or parsley. And legally can call something "house made" on a restaurant menu. Caveat, I took the class over a decade ago at this point so that may have changed. But it's still interesting.

Don't most restaurants serve soups and chili and stuff like that either out of Baltimore or buckets, bags or #10 cans and just add a little something else to it? I assumed that was the normal.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Plinkey posted:

Don't most restaurants serve soups and chili and stuff like that either out of Baltimore or buckets

:hmmyes:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Almost as disappointing a beer choice as a pizza place choice

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plinkey posted:

Don't most restaurants serve soups and chili and stuff like that either out of Baltimore or buckets, bags or #10 cans and just add a little something else to it? I assumed that was the normal.

Yeah, but I was just using a little thing I learned for an interesting fact. I know the hospital I cook at, we're actually making our soups fresh. Because most commercially available things have to much salt for low sodium diets.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I have like 2-3 pounds of pork fat from some local, fancy organic farm sitting in my freezer waiting to be made into lard but I'm too scared to do it because I've never made lard before. Also what the gently caress will I do with 2 pints of lard since a pound of fat roughly equals one pint??? That's a lot of lard!

I also have 2 pork hocks in there waiting to be cooked but I've only ever cooked smoked pork hocks with beans before so I'm kind of at a loss with those as well. I kind of want to try making Pata tim since I only need star anise to do it and I can get that from the local international market easy.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
So I tried some of those new Zombie Skittles:

https://thetakeout.com/review-zombie-skittles-flavor-taste-test-1837998870

It's sad, because the non "rotting flesh" ones are actually really good and they should make a skittles mix out of them...but oh lordy loo, those zombie ones.

I've had several of the "bad" flavors from those Harry Potter/Jelly Belly "Bertie Bots" beans and none of them, not even the skunk or vomit, come close to the wretchedness that is these "rotting flesh" Skittles. I bit into one, and spit it out immediately, was almost dry heaving, and thankfully had some soda nearby I could wash my mouth out with. Water wasn't going to cut it.

They aren't marked in any way, either...they can be any color. So you can't just pick them out. My GF got the big bag full of small bags for trick or treaters, and now I don't think we can in good conscience hand these out to little kids who will have no idea that there is 1 or 2 nasty ones in each little bag.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

empty sea posted:

I have like 2-3 pounds of pork fat from some local, fancy organic farm sitting in my freezer waiting to be made into lard but I'm too scared to do it because I've never made lard before. Also what the gently caress will I do with 2 pints of lard since a pound of fat roughly equals one pint??? That's a lot of lard!

I also have 2 pork hocks in there waiting to be cooked but I've only ever cooked smoked pork hocks with beans before so I'm kind of at a loss with those as well. I kind of want to try making Pata tim since I only need star anise to do it and I can get that from the local international market easy.

You can render the pork fat and use it without making it into lard first. If you use lard to make pastry or pie doughs, you might go through a pint of it really quickly, as well. The pie crusts I've found that use lard use 1/3 to 1/2 a cup (about 1/4 a pint) of lard per crust.
http://www.passionforpork.com/8-things-to-do-with-your-rendered-pork-fat/

A couple recipes for un-smoked hocks.
https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/pork-hocks-recipe.html

http://www.martinskitchen.co.uk/recipe/slow-roast-pork-hocks/

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is terrible

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have no idea how that Baltimore got in there

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

God, gently caress that stunt candy poo poo, I had enough of that when eating a Jelly Belly mix and hitting Toasted Marshmellow or Buttered Popcorn, so I'm not about to do it on purpose. loving poison.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rotten Red Rod posted:

God, gently caress that stunt candy poo poo, I had enough of that when eating a Jelly Belly mix and hitting Toasted Marshmellow or Buttered Popcorn, so I'm not about to do it on purpose. loving poison.

Toasted Marshmallow is good, what's wrong with you?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Iron Crowned posted:

Toasted Marshmallow is good, what's wrong with you?

As is Buttered Popcorn (esp when followed up with Dr Pepper).

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Toasted Marshmellow or Buttered Popcorn

Are you trolling because those are literally my favorite two flavors.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I really wish I could buy quantity of the black pepper flavor from the Harry Potter (I know, eat another candy...) jelly beans, they're legit good. Also, I want a candy bowl with sardine and earwax flavors mixed just to keep people on their toes.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dagen H posted:

As is Buttered Popcorn (esp when followed up with Dr Pepper).

Croatoan posted:

Are you trolling because those are literally my favorite two flavors.

Is everyone else in the alternate dimension or am I

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Is everyone else in the alternate dimension or am I

No, Buttered Popcorn is disgusting

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

No, Buttered Popcorn is delicious

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

No, Buttered Popcorn is disgusting

True.

Isn't the main flavoring agent, like, butyric acid, or something? The same poo poo in the stink bombs those Whale Wars people threw at the whaling boats?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

True.

Isn't the main flavoring agent, like, butyric acid, or something? The same poo poo in the stink bombs those Whale Wars people threw at the whaling boats?

The thought of weaponizing buttered popcorn flavored jellybeans made me laugh

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stand down, whaler scum! Or we'll drench you in Hershey's chocolate!!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
What is it with americans and butyric acid?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bloom posted:

What is it with americans and butyric acid?

Americans love to cut corners. Mr. Hershey figured out he could cut corners making milk chocolate by using spoiled milk, and Hershey's Chocolate was born!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Americans love to cut corners. Mr. Hershey figured out he could cut corners making milk chocolate by using spoiled milk, and Hershey's Chocolate was born!

that is just reducing waste and entrepreneurial spirit !

plus, we'd rather have 10 lovely things than one good thing, every single time

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The Bloop posted:

that is just reducing waste and entrepreneurial spirit !

plus, we'd rather have 10 lovely things than one good thing, every single time

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

DrBouvenstein posted:

They aren't marked in any way, either...they can be any color. So you can't just pick them out. My GF got the big bag full of small bags for trick or treaters, and now I don't think we can in good conscience hand these out to little kids who will have no idea that there is 1 or 2 nasty ones in each little bag.

So don't give them to little kids. Give them to the middle school kids. You remember middle school, all middle schoolers are assholes. Definitely give them to the handful of teenagers in low-effort costumes that show up occasionally, gently caress those guys.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

So don't give them to little kids. Give them to the middle school kids. You remember middle school, all middle schoolers are assholes. Definitely give them to the handful of teenagers in low-effort costumes that show up occasionally, gently caress those guys.

:hmmyes:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

DrBouvenstein posted:

there is 1 or 2 nasty ones in each little bag.

The Don Jr. immigration model

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Facebook Aunt posted:

I had a kid show up one time who must have been at least 16. Fucker had a grown man's mustache.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009

Randaconda posted:

I had a kid show up one time who must have been at least 16. Fucker had a grown man's mustache.

I don't mind if older kids show up and go trick-or-treating - that's like an extra few hours they aren't doing other poo poo like smashing pumpkins or whatever. But loving put a little work into your costume. Not saying money, but walking up to me in an armor suit made out of mountain dew bottles is fun. A regular hoodie with some red face paint is going to get you the zombie skittles.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
That's a good idea. I should get a pack of Zombie Skittles just to give out to older kids in lovely costumes.

Everyone else gets full sized bars at my house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO