Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Taintrunner posted:

Got my VR Cover for my Rift S today, super super comfy and easy to put on. For 20 bucks it's a pretty sweet deal.

Also, the Carmack has spoken.

https://twitter.com/ID_AA_Carmack/status/1178332857909043201?s=19

I think this is one of those cases where consumers broadly don't really know what it is that they want; these are the on paper reasons why the S might be preferable based on how important those individual features are to you, but by and large the convenience and ease of use is so severely limited compared to the Quest that the average consumer is going to get so much more use out of it that it's really hard to suggest to anyone buying into VR for the first time go for an S over the Quest. Like if you've already tried some stuff out and you have a fairly good idea of what you have tried out and know what matters that's one thing (in which case you wouldn't be asking people for advice on if you should get a Quest but if it's worthwhile to spend the extra cash to get an Index instead), but if you're planning on buying in right now without much knowledge you should absolutely get a Quest easy slam dunk choice not even close.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

The alpha sign-up form asked whether you have a VR device and which one.

I bet that's because of the bug with Forza horizon 4 where it wouldn't launch with a wmr headset connected to your pc. Took months before it was fixed

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Combat Pretzel posted:

The alpha sign-up form asked whether you have a VR device and which one.

That's so that after all the VR people pass on buying it they can point to their numbers and say, "We were geniuses to not support VR, less than 1% of our users have VR headsets!"

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon

The Walrus posted:

the only really poor thing about it is the comfort which should hopefully be fixed by the rigid headstrap. it's a great headset, the large fov is hard to go back from once you are used to it.

edit there have been a ton of huge software improvements to the wide fov rendering. there was a lot of distortion at launch it has improved hugely since then. the widest view has a small amount of fisheye still but the medium is still like 180 degrees and is fine.

Great that they fixed the distortions but theres something odd going on with the narrowish binocular overlap, canted displays and eyestrain. I remember someone here posting that the tilt to the screens could be an inherent flaw

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Microsoft owning both WMR and XBOX One and not combining them is still one of the dumbest moves in history

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Microsoft owning both WMR and XBOX One and not combining them is still one of the dumbest moves in history

They probably could've put a decent foot in the VR market by offering a platform that ~just works~ for a better VR experience than even Sony could offer, and play all the big PCVR games without limitations. Especially with the XBOneX to throw its weight around. Nevermind just actually making some sorely-needed console and software sales.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The headsets were only ever meant to be an on ramp to getting people developing in the WMR ecosystem to boost Hololens, they never gave a poo poo about games beyond lip service. Its kinda like before the Hololens came out when they were still pretending it was a consumer product, and showing people playing Minecraft on it during their E3 presentation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

homeless snail posted:

The headsets were only ever meant to be an on ramp to getting people developing in the WMR ecosystem to boost Hololens, they never gave a poo poo about games beyond lip service. Its kinda like before the Hololens came out when they were still pretending it was a consumer product, and showing people playing Minecraft on it during their E3 presentation.

Oh definitely, but you'd think someone would've seen blood in the water with PSVR and seen a good opportunity to snub Sony if nothing else.

As we're on the topic of VR development, I'm curious to see what Samsung's going to turn out next as they're pretty adamant about still being in the XR game with "multiple headsets coming". It's not like they're chained to the WMR SDK anymore, so it'll be interesting to see if they iterate their own inside-out tracking solution and controllers or jump on the Lighthouse bandwagon.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

homeless snail posted:

I don't know anything about the Hololens so I Googled it. And I still don't know what it is for.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, but they had both products, they were already made and existing. They just had to write or port drivers to make WMR work on XBONE.

The xbone is getting its lunch eaten by Sony and Nintendo. WMR is getting its lunch eaten by Oculus, Sony and Valve. Why not put them together and carve your niche?

It makes so much sense it's just mindblowing that they didn't do it. It doesn't have to kill the hololense to exist

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

chaosapiant posted:

I don't know anything about the Hololens so I Googled it. And I still don't know what it is for.
Turning your corporate employees into cyborgs with $3000 headsets through which you can directly order them and observe what they're doing, mostly. Also its pretty cool for visualization.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah, but they had both products, they were already made and existing. They just had to write or port drivers to make WMR work on XBONE.

The xbone is getting its lunch eaten by Sony and Nintendo. WMR is getting its lunch eaten by Oculus, Sony and Valve. Why not put them together and carve your niche?

It makes so much sense it's just mindblowing that they didn't do it. It doesn't have to kill the hololense to exist
MS divisions famously hate collaborating with each other, and the story about the Hololens E3 demo I heard was pretty much corporate came down and said "you gotta have a hololens ad in the middle of this thing"

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 1, 2019

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

The hololense is an answer to a question no one really asked. We got a whole pallet of them at GE when I worked there and other than the couple we took out of the boxes to try, they just sat collecting dust. When I tried a hololense I thought "huh, this is cool" and that was it. When I tried an OG Rift, I thought "this is awesome and I have to get one". They're different products, yeah, but I really feel like MS backed the wrong horse in Hololense vs WMR

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chaosapiant posted:

AR headsets for the US Military mostly. Partly because I think nobody else is buying them.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The hololense is an answer to a question no one really asked. We got a whole pallet of them at GE when I worked there and other than the couple we took out of the boxes to try, they just sat collecting dust. When I tried a hololense I thought "huh, this is cool" and that was it. When I tried an OG Rift, I thought "this is awesome and I have to get one". They're different products, yeah, but I really feel like MS backed the wrong horse in Hololense vs WMR

They seemed to have some grand sci-fi cyberpunk vision for the Hololens being used for design and engineering work, except that from what I've seen all those sorts of jobs snapped up Vives or Vive Pros so they could do the job fully virtual for much cheaper.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Oct 1, 2019

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Back in grad school my lab had a HoloLens to investigate possible research uses but it fell pretty flat.
It was a fun concept but the super narrow field of view really restricted its use.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The hololenses at GE saw the most use in the break room for playing games.

In that sense they were a success.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a Beatsaber mod, that punches map makers, that put attempted controller breaking combos into their maps, automatically in the dick as hard as possible?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The MS bet on Hololens comes in that the industry experts agree in that it will be the next big thing. But their failure comes in WHEN it's going to come. They bet on it too early. Real, practical augmented reality exist still only in the realm of science fiction. Michael Abrash talked about it in one of the previous Oculus Connect, in how good AR is a magnitude harder to do that good VR.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

lol it's the lab robot repair demo

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

I tried a hololens 2 recently and it was pretty impressive technology. The wider FOV on it is much nicer. It's certainly not a consumer device though the person that was talking to me about it was talking entirely about industrial use cases etc.

You aren't going to get to practical useful AR without companies investing and experimenting with the early versions of it.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Apparently Dirt Rally 2.0 on PC Gamepass has no VR support. Sucks.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As we're on the topic of VR development, I'm curious to see what Samsung's going to turn out next as they're pretty adamant about still being in the XR game with "multiple headsets coming". It's not like they're chained to the WMR SDK anymore, so it'll be interesting to see if they iterate their own inside-out tracking solution and controllers or jump on the Lighthouse bandwagon.

I mean, no knock against the technology, but it's not much of a bandwagon. I think it's pretty clear the ecosystem of lighthouses is likely never going to emerge. The LG headset never materialised and even the original user, HTC has adopted inside out for their new headset.

At this point, beyond the legacy Vive (which there isn't much point to all around), all the lighthouse stuff is niche products like the Vive Pro, a boutique hmd in pimax, and valves own headset.

Any new Samsung system is going to be vision based, and more likely than not a quest competitor. If they do release a new dedicated PC headset, they're not going to go "oh and by the way with our new system, gone is plug and play, now mount these 150 dollar boxes on your wall to have a bit better tracking that won't be noticed 95% of the time". It would just look like a step back, even if it gives it better tracking.

I think lighthouse missed it's window of opportunity. If vr uptake had been better and you had mad Katz and LG, Logitech and razor selling brand headsets that could take advantage of lighthouse in the early days so they're plug and play with your existing setup, that could have given it inertia. The problem was vr sales were so slow the announced ones like LG just cancelled, and computer vision tracking caught up so fast that by the time vr does pick up most headsets will be plug and play optical, and there's no large base of lighthouse peripherals and systems to leverage.

I'm not knocking the tech, but I've always said inside out vision tracking will kill any possibility of a lighthouse ecosystem because 99% of consumers would rather not bother with mounting things around their room. I'm sure it will still have use from future valve headsets and other niche products and businesses, but it was just never going to be a 'bandwagon'.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a way to keep a browser visible while playing a game in Oculus? I can go to the menu and bring up the screen and drag it around, but when I close the menu it vanishes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

chaosapiant posted:

Its really useful to help train astronauts!!

Beyond niches though... no clue.

VR is here. AR is still coming.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Is there a way to keep a browser visible while playing a game in Oculus? I can go to the menu and bring up the screen and drag it around, but when I close the menu it vanishes.

Click the little pin in the bottom right.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

There's a little pin icon on the bottom right side of the window, if you press it it should persist when you go back to the game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

The MS bet on Hololens comes in that the industry experts agree in that it will be the next big thing. But their failure comes in WHEN it's going to come. They bet on it too early. Real, practical augmented reality exist still only in the realm of science fiction. Michael Abrash talked about it in one of the previous Oculus Connect, in how good AR is a magnitude harder to do that good VR.

Yeah I was gonna say, didn't Abrash do a bunch of AR testing and then jump ship to work on VR?

That's extremely telling.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
VR Megathread - Beatsaber no longer a Shakespearean euphemism

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

The problem was vr sales were so slow the announced ones like LG just cancelled, and computer vision tracking caught up so fast that by the time vr does pick up most headsets will be plug and play optical, and there's no large base of lighthouse peripherals and systems to leverage.

I'm not knocking the tech, but I've always said inside out vision tracking will kill any possibility of a lighthouse ecosystem because 99% of consumers would rather not bother with mounting things around their room. I'm sure it will still have use from future valve headsets and other niche products and businesses, but it was just never going to be a 'bandwagon'.

It really caught me off guard how fast computer vision advanced too. I thought we were still a pair of years away before it was solid enough to do inside-out, trackerless and for cheap (in both computationally speaking and in material cost).

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Turin Turambar posted:

It really caught me off guard how fast computer vision advanced too. I thought we were still a pair of years away before it was solid enough to do inside-out, trackerless and for cheap (in both computationally speaking and in material cost).

Timescales get advanced when Carmack goes full rear end on something and he has backing

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Turin Turambar posted:

It really blows my mind that little 2 year old SoC, can handle optical spacial tracking, optical hand tracking, and running a game in vr on top of all of that. Not even leap motion style hand tracking where they have depth sensors to make it easier, but pure black and white camera computer vision hand tracking.

It's insane.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Tom Guycot posted:

It really blows my mind that little 2 year old SoC, can handle optical spacial tracking, optical hand tracking, and running a game in vr on top of all of that. Not even leap motion style hand tracking where they have depth sensors to make it easier, but pure black and white camera computer vision hand tracking.

It's insane.

Leap motion doesn't use depth sensors. It's just two ir cameras and some ir LEDs

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

Enos Cabell posted:

Click the little pin in the bottom right.

Lemming posted:

There's a little pin icon on the bottom right side of the window, if you press it it should persist when you go back to the game.

Thanks, that worked! Only problem now is that the sound is coming out both on the rift and my PC speakers.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Thanks, that worked! Only problem now is that the sound is coming out both on the rift and my PC speakers.

If you set your desktop volume thingy to the Rift it should only come out of there

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

I mean, no knock against the technology, but it's not much of a bandwagon. I think it's pretty clear the ecosystem of lighthouses is likely never going to emerge. The LG headset never materialised and even the original user, HTC has adopted inside out for their new headset.

At this point, beyond the legacy Vive (which there isn't much point to all around), all the lighthouse stuff is niche products like the Vive Pro, a boutique hmd in pimax, and valves own headset.

Any new Samsung system is going to be vision based, and more likely than not a quest competitor. If they do release a new dedicated PC headset, they're not going to go "oh and by the way with our new system, gone is plug and play, now mount these 150 dollar boxes on your wall to have a bit better tracking that won't be noticed 95% of the time". It would just look like a step back, even if it gives it better tracking.

I think lighthouse missed it's window of opportunity. If vr uptake had been better and you had mad Katz and LG, Logitech and razor selling brand headsets that could take advantage of lighthouse in the early days so they're plug and play with your existing setup, that could have given it inertia. The problem was vr sales were so slow the announced ones like LG just cancelled, and computer vision tracking caught up so fast that by the time vr does pick up most headsets will be plug and play optical, and there's no large base of lighthouse peripherals and systems to leverage.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. I think Lighthouse has some potential to still pick up more in the loooong-run just by inertia and the sensors involved getting cheaper via mass-production over time, but inside-out tracking really is the defacto for good reason. :hmmyes:

Especially when Oculus just set the bar with the Quest tethering to PC's.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vast majority of HMDs in use are gonna be self tracked from now on, just like the vast majority of people are listening to their TV through TV speakers or crappy soundbars, and that's fine for most people. Only the crazy people build surround sound systems and run wires all over their room, or screw lighthouses in their walls

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

rage-saq posted:

Timescales get advanced when Carmack goes full rear end on something and he has backing

It also coincided with Facebook/Instagram trying to compete with Snapchat (dog nose and all that poo poo, as well as the SLAM stuff - there’s shared computer vision work there) so that’s more than full rear end, it sounds like two and a half asses total.

2.5 asses is a lot of rear end

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aardvark Barber posted:

Apparently Dirt Rally 2.0 on PC Gamepass has no VR support. Sucks.

It’s on sale for Steam on the Humble store for like 20 bucks base game and just got a Oculus SDK patch

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

How big of an upgrade of is it to Dirt Rally 1 if I'm not completely bored of those tracks yet

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

homeless snail posted:

Vast majority of HMDs in use are gonna be self tracked from now on, just like the vast majority of people are listening to their TV through TV speakers or crappy soundbars, and that's fine for most people. Only the crazy people build surround sound systems and run wires all over their room, or screw lighthouses in their walls

Yes, Rift S/Quest proved that good self tracked is good enough. Recent Quest/Rift S is VERY good. WMR wasn't great, and early Quest/Rift S were not nearly as good. You can't do a few things, but I think the surround sound is a great analogy. I have decent speakers but didn't bother to spread them all around the room so I have good sound but haven't been bothered to get true surround sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm the crazy person, not only are my lighthouses mounted on the walls but the wiring runs through the walls and ceiling, with my wireless antenna mounted alongside one of them.