Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Here's mine sticking to 2019 games I've completed up till now. There's still some possible contenders I need to play, especially when I finally buy a Switch on Black Friday.

1) Bloodstained
2) RE2make
3) Eastshade
4) AMID EVIL
5) Hypnospace Outlaw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

apparently the release date hasn't been officially announced yet but someone somewhere at some point said "june 2020"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I’ve never heard of Amid Evil before (or my brain skips over titles that end with Evil without starting with Resident)

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

Roth posted:

Outer Worlds is going to be on PC game pass.

Which reminds me of how weird it was when people cheered that them and some other devs were bought out by Microsoft

Obsidian was on thin ice financially-speaking for a long time, so now at least they have a chance

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Roth posted:

Outer Worlds is going to be on PC game pass.

Which reminds me of how weird it was when people cheered that them and some other devs were bought out by Microsoft

Obsidian has been scraping by, failing to secure publishing deals and living precariously off kickstarters, honestly probably a lot of the cheering was from employees that felt things might be more stable

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

I’ve never heard of Amid Evil before (or my brain skips over titles that end with Evil without starting with Resident)

it's the quakey hexen low-fi first person shooter that came out a couple months back, looks pretty good

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Sounds like it’s Not For Me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Obsidian working for MS isn't the worst thing in the world considering they can get a development and marketing budget above $20 unlike PoE 2 and Tyranny.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

ah, but it sounds like Cowcaster's Jam

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Amid Evil owns, very fun and looks great.

Imo the standout feature is the level design and aesthetics. I think I like Dusk slightly more as a shooter but it's close.

Basically both games are peeks at a world where FPS as a genre didn't poo poo the bed

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Ranking is too hard, but 5 games I really liked this year are Outer Wilds, Celeste, Sekiro, Shadowbringers, and Bloodstained.

AI: The Somnium Files probably replaces Bloodstained if it doesn't poo poo itself in the last act.

If you put a gun to my head, Outer Wilds probably beats out the others as overall GOTY. Games where your progression is 100% defined by your knowledge as a player and 0% by numbers going up are extremely my jam.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Risk of Rain 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

Sekiro isn't goty because it's the second worst game in that series imo but I think it'll get a lot of love during end of year stuff.

For me right now top 5 is around:

1) Control
2) Dusk
3) Shadowbringers
4) Dusk
5) FE 3H

The long and storied Sekiro franchise

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

The long and storied Sekiro franchise

we can only hope

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What does Sekiro mean in English anyway?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

What does Sekiro mean in English anyway?

Shadows Die Twice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thoom posted:

Ranking is too hard, but 5 games I really liked this year are Outer Wilds, Celeste, Sekiro, Shadowbringers, and Bloodstained.

AI: The Somnium Files probably replaces Bloodstained if it doesn't poo poo itself in the last act.

If you put a gun to my head, Outer Wilds probably beats out the others as overall GOTY. Games where your progression is 100% defined by your knowledge as a player and 0% by numbers going up are extremely my jam.

I'd like to play Bloodstained but they still havent released the Switch version that I selected in the KS survey,

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dark Souls games are 95% the same but Sekiro is only 92% the same, a point of consternation for many.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's the japanese version of a portmanteau for "one-armed wolf" if i remember right

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

it's the japanese version of a portmanteau for "one-armed wolf" if i remember right

yeah and it's just the nickname the cool dude gives and calls you

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

exquisite tea posted:

Dark Souls games are 95% the same but Sekiro is only 92% the same, a point of consternation for many.

it literally started development as a tenchu game, this isn't news

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Sekiro is different enough that it shouldn't be judged against the Souls series, imo. That said, I couldn't help but feel like some stuff was missing that I had come to expect from past games. The lack of multiplayer and character customization (both in looks and playstyles) really dinged it for me.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

apparently my goty list is very short

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Was it just in my head, or was it a meme where you yell out Sekiro like Rufio?

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It should be judged against the souls games because it shares a ton of ideas and DNA. It should also be judged against other action games that it is worse than, like DMC5 and MGR

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Relax Or DIE posted:

It should be judged against the souls games because it shares a ton of ideas and DNA. It should also be judged against other action games that it is worse than, like DMC5 and MGR

it's not even close to the same as any of those games though. if anything it should be judged against the batman arkham games, assassin's creed, and the shadows of mordor games.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

as somebody who was getting extremely tired of souls and wasn't planning to touch it at all, i'm glad of all the ways it's different

seriously it was pretty funny since i played it almost entirely because the things i heard people complaining about made me think it owned

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Obsidian has been scraping by, failing to secure publishing deals and living precariously off kickstarters, honestly probably a lot of the cheering was from employees that felt things might be more stable

Fair.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

it's not even close to the same as any of those games though. if anything it should be judged against the batman arkham games, assassin's creed, and the shadows of mordor games.

also it's better than all of those

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

MMF Freeway posted:

Sekiro is different enough that it shouldn't be judged against the Souls series, imo. That said, I couldn't help but feel like some stuff was missing that I had come to expect from past games. The lack of multiplayer and character customization (both in looks and playstyles) really dinged it for me.

It's harder to excuse the lack of customization, but multiplayer really wouldn't have worked with Sekiro's combat and From Software's lack of ability to write netcode. I do hope they go back to having multiplayer in Elden Ring, though.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i judge sekiro vs. real life

since i can't do cool things in real life, and you can do cool things in sekiro, sekiro gets a "cool" from me

however, i didn't actually finish sekiro, so it's probably gonna be number 3 on my list

which is, so far,

Shadowbringers
Risk of Rain 2
Sekiro

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Only Souls game I could get into was Bloodborne

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oh no i forgot from software was working with g. r. r. m. to make a videogame why would they do that

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

also it's better than all of those

May 8, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

drat this is a way better own than anything I could have come up with

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Cowcaster posted:

oh no i forgot from software was working with g. r. r. m. to make a videogame why would they do that

I'm hoping his involvement is mostly for token publicity

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i also played Outer Wilds but didn't like it that much, because i'm stupid

i also also played Borderlands 3 and didn't like it that much, because it was stupid

Satisfactory also also also came out this year I think and that was pretty good but still early access/a bit barebones

and then there was the 3 weeks or so I played Mordhau for some reason

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sekiro? More like just say HECKIN' NO

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a fun action game with a sick setting and cool bosses...can't get much better than that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Unless it shits the bed I'm gonna end up liking Code Vein more than Bloodborne because the gameplay is 99% the same but it has estus instead of the lovely-rear end blood vial mechanic and I like edgy, sexy, sad anime vampires more than cthulhu werewolves