Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
.....did 1.3 just finally drop to Mobile?

This seems like a huge deal

As someone who has only ever played the mobile version (and only wants it on my non-work device) I am super excited to see 1.3 features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
:rip: to the old mobile controls which were simple and didn't require a tutorial

hello to power-user geared controls, hope they don't have anything annoying about them!

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Just happy to see 1.3 on my IPad!!!! :chord:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Such bad timing to also remove tutorial mode. It was so helpful as it guided you through all the UI actions, it's needed more than ever now, and it even had great music exclusive to it. RIP to that

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Anyone else playing mobile or suffering through learning the new controls?

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I tried the new Terraria controls all day yesterday and... I don't know. There are a few issues so far that seem like more major problems than a little familiarity can fix.

1. The right stick no longer acts as a stick for melee weapons. It went from being a stick (that cared about direction) to being a button. Maybe it's always just been a button on Desktop but that's terrible. You can no longer aim the weapon you are autoswinging! Now the only way to re-aim it is to let go, face a different direction with the walking controls, and resume attacking.

It's no longer possible to aim an autoswing attack forwards while simultaneously retreating backwards. My wife and I have gotten killed countless times because of not being able to instantly melee attack in a direction like we used to. Why would they remove movement flexibility in an effort to improve movement?

2. The jump button is *tiny*. Previously, jumping was incredibly easy to do; you could swipe up once anywhere on the left half of the screen. Now, it's a very insensitive tiny button on the right half. It's unresponsive half the time, either because you miss or because you pressed it on a bad frame. Jumping and quickly maneuvering used to be everything to our strategy of staying alive, and also to climbing in caves. We were so fast at zipping around with the old controls and now we feel crippled.

Of note, it's no longer possible to jump while auto-swinging, unless you want to swipe up twice, which is not instant so it shouldn't even count. What good is a jump command in a fast paced battle if you have to wait 30+ frames for it?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Yeah that’s exactly how melee has always worked on PC, I can understand it being weird to get used to after having played a lot with the other controls tho

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We're doing a little better for now because our dungeon spawned with FOUR surface water bolts :aaa:

Just fought off our first goblin invasion using a murderous one, a demonic one, and an accidentally really good camping spot where they all file into a water pit they can't escape. Fish on a barrel with water bolts!

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Desktop players will now find practically no difference when they play on a phone. For this big Mobile update to 1.3 their philosophy seems to have been "make it behave exactly like desktop, at all costs". So you can pay $5 and your familiar experience (including same controls UI) is on your phone now too, hooray!

On the plus side, this means the code is caught up and likely ported over verbatim, so they can keep the phone version and desktop version in sync without one falling behind again from now on.

The downside is that there are a couple game mechanics that still inherently cannot work the same way on a phone. For example, there is no mouse cursor on a phone. There is a "virtual cursor" in the game that remains where you left it, but every time you swing a weapon it moves it again. Every sword that shoots, like the enchanted sword, is broken. It doesn't auto-swing, and so will annoyingly re-aim itself from scratch every time you swing it, making it impossible to aim at an enemy by making adjustments. The "lock on target" feature flat out doesn't work with melee swords that shoot (that's a bug).

Similarly, let's say you're trying to shoot a water bolt diagonally upward as you run to look for floating islands. Same thing, you cannot set a consistent aim at all, because every time you tap the water bolt button it re-aims from scratch.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I want to make it clear that they actually deleted a separate branch of the game. Most people know that the Mobile version had some of its own content, like holiday events, special bosses, special items, and some extra palette-swap monsters. But most people don't know that Mobile had actually added some QOL improvements to the game in its own branch, which have been bulldozed over by the new Mobile dev team :(

It turns out that their mindset of "make it behave exactly like desktop, at all costs" actually included deleting a lot of great things that had been added to the Mobile version to accommodate the different experience. We have desktop features like "lock on" and "smart select" now but are missing things that were kind of necessary for phones.

For example, Mobile previously had the "right joystick" actually do something for regular melee weapons -- it aimed them. You could aim your sword left or right by moving the stick. Now, you have to turn around with the walk joystick to aim, while the right stick is now effectively just a button -- it always does the same thing, swings in the direction you're facing. No more swinging at an enemy that you're retreating from!

The old Mobile had also turned on autoswing for every melee weapon by default as an additional quality of life thing. That's never been to desktop. Having used both, I now totally understand why every desktop player acts like melee is not very useful in this game. You have no idea what you're missing. *Every* melee weapon was useful in Mobile because of autoswing, and there was barely any need to use anything else if you wanted. Even on desktop, you still are used to long-range swords like the enchanted / beam swords being useful, because you could use the mouse cursor to aim them at something via adjustments. As I described in the previous post, that's actually impossible now, for no reason other than they deleted the old QOL features that used to make the phone setup work well.

Finally, there's at least one good sign that they know some important features are missing from the old Mobile branch and are thankfully adding them back in. Recently they added an option to the settings menu, "swipe up to jump (legacy)". I think it might have even been just patched by itself, after folks complained about the update taking it away. Bringing that back is a godsend. Forcing the player to use a separate *tiny* jump button on a phone was not working, at least not at all to do the degree of maneuverability that Mobile players were given before. The other option given to 1.3 players, double-swiping up to jump, was useless -- because who wants to wait ~1 second in the heat of combat dodging for their jump command to take effect. Now with this legacy setting we've got the good old way back.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Autoswing really isn’t the reason why true melee is considered bad, it’s because where you attack is tied to your position so it’s way harder to dodge and attack at the same time. This is supposed to be counteracted by having more defense but enemies deal way too much damage for that to be enough

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I want to make it clear that they actually deleted a separate branch of the game. Most people know that the Mobile version had some of its own content, like holiday events, special bosses, special items, and some extra palette-swap monsters. But most people don't know that Mobile had actually added some QOL improvements to the game in its own branch, which have been bulldozed over by the new Mobile dev team :(

It turns out that their mindset of "make it behave exactly like desktop, at all costs" actually included deleting a lot of great things that had been added to the Mobile version to accommodate the different experience. We have desktop features like "lock on" and "smart select" now but are missing things that were kind of necessary for phones.

For example, Mobile previously had the "right joystick" actually do something for regular melee weapons -- it aimed them. You could aim your sword left or right by moving the stick. Now, you have to turn around with the walk joystick to aim, while the right stick is now effectively just a button -- it always does the same thing, swings in the direction you're facing. No more swinging at an enemy that you're retreating from!

The old Mobile had also turned on autoswing for every melee weapon by default as an additional quality of life thing. That's never been to desktop. Having used both, I now totally understand why every desktop player acts like melee is not very useful in this game. You have no idea what you're missing. *Every* melee weapon was useful in Mobile because of autoswing, and there was barely any need to use anything else if you wanted. Even on desktop, you still are used to long-range swords like the enchanted / beam swords being useful, because you could use the mouse cursor to aim them at something via adjustments. As I described in the previous post, that's actually impossible now, for no reason other than they deleted the old QOL features that used to make the phone setup work well.

Finally, there's at least one good sign that they know some important features are missing from the old Mobile branch and are thankfully adding them back in. Recently they added an option to the settings menu, "swipe up to jump (legacy)". I think it might have even been just patched by itself, after folks complained about the update taking it away. Bringing that back is a godsend. Forcing the player to use a separate *tiny* jump button on a phone was not working, at least not at all to do the degree of maneuverability that Mobile players were given before. The other option given to 1.3 players, double-swiping up to jump, was useless -- because who wants to wait ~1 second in the heat of combat dodging for their jump command to take effect. Now with this legacy setting we've got the good old way back.

This is depressing. I don't play mobile or even console because I find anything but using a mouse to be incredibly awkward, but I'm sad to see that the mobile version has regressed in the name of uniformity.

watho posted:

Autoswing really isn’t the reason why true melee is considered bad, it’s because where you attack is tied to your position so it’s way harder to dodge and attack at the same time. This is supposed to be counteracted by having more defense but enemies deal way too much damage for that to be enough

Also this. I see no reason *not* to have AutoSwing, but the game just punishes non-ranged builds too much. As a guy who likes swords, this bothers me. It might work if melee weapons received a *huge* jump in damage and defence or if the game had a proper "hold right mouse to raise your shield" mechanic, but as is Melee is neither fun nor viable

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Not to mention that some swords shoot and their whole point is to not be short-range, and they just don't work at all in Mobile 1.3 due to glaring oversights like forgetting to make lock-on work.

I forgot another nice thing from the now-abandoned Mobile 1.2 branch -- they had *vastly* increased the reach distance for phone users, to make up for other difficulties. You could mine up to maybe 12 units away from you, or place blocks that far away. Now it's just a few units. Or literally two if downward.
:negative:

In the abandoned branch you could also tap any chest anywhere onscreen to open it, regardless of reach distance. Your chest room was so much easier to manage without having to approach each chest. I don't think any mobile player minded that they could open chests a little prematurely during exploration; they still had to get close enough to it to light it up. On the other hand, every mobile player will miss the ability to manage their chest room from afar. Nobody is happy that that's gone.
Why would they take a good thing away?

At first it looks like they made mining better by adding the desktop "smart cursor" setting, but in reality the old Mobile branch had that already. You could hold the right stick in a direction to mine with smart cursor, or simply tap the screen in a specific place to disable smart cursor and mine individual blocks with precision (and a helpful grid that pops up). That's mostly the same in 1.3 Mobile, no improvement, with the exception that now it's possible to easily leave smart cursor on when you're trying to manually tap on individual blocks, destroying other blocks instead.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I've brought up a lot of pretty bad issues, none of which seem that hard to solve -- just minor UI tweaks to match what the old Mobile dev team already did.

Will they do it? It's unclear. On the one hand, they did hear people's biggest complaint and added back in that "legacy" swipe-to-jump setting. On the other hand, some of these issues like the right stick being broken and long-range swords being broken are a little harder to describe. Their community doesn't seem to be up for that. The "Terraria forum" seems to be very inactive, and not that mature in terms of productive discussions. Nobody is going to be pointing out details like these on there.

I think if they get the message it's going to have to come from individual beta testers who didn't just happily rubber-stamp the whole upgrade. I think for some posters, reviewing 1.3 devolved into a contest in their minds once they mostly succeeded at "adapting" to the new controls and saw that others were still having a hard time and complaining.

I could file each thing as its own bug report, but will they even see those or give them any consideration among all the trash reports they probably get?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

watho posted:

Yeah autoswing is an early game QoL boost but for lategame the issue with melee is almost entirely that being within melee range of most enemies/bosses is loving suicidal, especially on expert. The boosted defense from melee armor might turn a two hit death into a three hit death at best, so the optimal approach is to just not get hit, which dramatically favors ranged attacks.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Again, a whole lot of the best melee weapons can shoot long range, and those are the ones that are broken by several issues made worse by a lack of autoswing, even though they worked in the tossed out version of Mobile

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Does mobile have yo-yos now? How the heck would that work? Those are what make melee actually viable

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yeah, we got some helfire yoyos from bats and they got us through early hardmode farming. Couldn't have done it without them. Never used yoyos before because they weren't available but it's pretty easy, you just drag the stick in the direction you want it to go and it will travel anywhere within its maximum reach or your current screen boundaries (so you can't get full use if you're zoomed in too far). It bounces off of enemies doing rapid damage as you guide it into them. It lights up rooms ahead of you and defends you with knock back.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Wait, back up. There's lock-on? And desktop's apparently had it for a while? I've just been pooting bullets around wildly like some kind of maniac.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I don't think the desktop version has lockon, mobile users get it since they can't, like, aim with the mouse while performing complex maneuvers with the keyboard like a desktop player can.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Desktop does have an auto-aim for digging, at least.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
If you want auto aim on desktop your best option right now is to use chlorophyte bullets.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Tenebrais posted:

Desktop does have an auto-aim for digging, at least.

That's called "smart cursor" and is something else. And "smart select" is yet another thing still.

Does anyone know offhand if the Piranha Gun is broken on Mobile now? Just picked it up and it didn't seem to do anything. I tried to whack a Paladin with it. It doesn't have autoswing, which seems to contradict what I'm reading about how the attack button must be held down to use it.

Maybe another coding oversight? Seems related to other special melee behaviors that got overlooked -- like how they forgot to make melee swords that shoot be affected by lock-on, and how right stick no longer affects swinging direction.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Which accessories do you all find to be deserving of the five equipment slots, and which ones do you keep in inventory to swap out on occasion?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Dumb Lowtax posted:

That's called "smart cursor" and is something else. And "smart select" is yet another thing still.

Does anyone know offhand if the Piranha Gun is broken on Mobile now? Just picked it up and it didn't seem to do anything. I tried to whack a Paladin with it. It doesn't have autoswing, which seems to contradict what I'm reading about how the attack button must be held down to use it.

Maybe another coding oversight? Seems related to other special melee behaviors that got overlooked -- like how they forgot to make melee swords that shoot be affected by lock-on, and how right stick no longer affects swinging direction.

I'm going to just start with the obvious here, but do you have bullets?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I'm talking about this thing from the Biome Dungeon chest

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Where the gently caress is 1.4, it's been teased for months.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Still "this year" from all indications

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I'm talking about this thing from the Biome Dungeon chest

Nvm it works. Was having trouble verifying it was doing anything on a Paladin but tried again on a Wyvern and it was easier to tell thanks to all the segments popping up damage. Really low DPS according to the meter though. I understand that it's for stunlocking enemies, but it seems like all the ones that you'd bother trying that on (bosses) would also be immune to stun-locking. Hard pass on this gun getting an inventory slot. It seems like by the time you get this dungeon chest open you already have better weapons.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
We killed a Pumpking while hiding inside of blocks from enemy fire, by shooting a Death Sickle through the blocks. It dropped a Horseman's Blade. Usually you only get that post-Golem I suppose, but for now it is a complete game-changer.

This sword causes homing pumpkins to fly from off screen through walls until they hit something, usually an enemy that still hasn't come onscreen yet. Excellent for farming in any biome because you can kill all those spawns that you usually don't ever see.

The only limitation is that the homing pumpkins only appear when you are actively striking enemies with the short-range blade itself. A self-limiting thing because most enemies won't get to you if there are pumpkins killing them. Stabbing a test dummy doesn't work. So how do you get around this?

This has led to a new strategy. Everywhere I go, I bring a one second timer and four jellyfish statues. I hold the timer in my hands to reveal wire for finding a trap, and once I've found that I quickly plop down the timer and statues. I just swing the sword at the statues to generate pumpkins. They do a few *thousand* DPS while they do their killing offscreen. Tons of biome drops ensue.

You can boost damage to around 3000 DPS just by putting up a jellyfish banner (this setup already drops hundreds of those) since each pumpkin that spawned from killing a jellyfish will get the full damage boost from the banner, even though it will go on to kill something else.

Or, if there's an invasion event going on, I stand inside the statues with a star veil equipped for protection (invincibility frames) and then usually avoid damage from bosses, taking it from the jellyfish instead. I've heard standing on a spike might even be better for dealing rapid self-damage

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Nvm it works. Was having trouble verifying it was doing anything on a Paladin but tried again on a Wyvern and it was easier to tell thanks to all the segments popping up damage. Really low DPS according to the meter though. I understand that it's for stunlocking enemies, but it seems like all the ones that you'd bother trying that on (bosses) would also be immune to stun-locking. Hard pass on this gun getting an inventory slot. It seems like by the time you get this dungeon chest open you already have better weapons.

Piranha Gun's advantage isn't high DPS, it's that after the initial shot, it's fire-and-forget. After chewing through the first enemy, it will go on to the next until the screen is clear. You just hold down the button and dodge. Eclipses in particular, it can be hard to see where everything is coming from, and it's best to stay on the move.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Isn't its fire-and-forget DPS massively eclipsed by chlorophyte bullets?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The problem with the biome key weapons is that they’re balanced around being good post plantera which is like end of act 2 at this point

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yeah it's just weird that you can't even get the piranha gun without getting the key from the hardmode jungle and running past heaps of chlorophyte deposits, and by the time you get to the jungle chest itself you've got all those really high end guns from the dungeon skeletons to shoot your chlorophyte bullets out of. Definitely a weapon that lost all point after the moon lord update.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Mzbundifund posted:

Isn't its fire-and-forget DPS massively eclipsed by chlorophyte bullets?

Indubitably. Free is a lot cheaper than chlorophyte, though, and bullets get stopped by walls. Ultimately it doesn't rise above the status of neat gimmick weapon, but it can be handy in some situations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

watho posted:

The problem with the biome key weapons is that they’re balanced around being good post plantera which is like end of act 2 at this point

Yeah it's less that they're not good and more that they used to be the final set of obtainable weapons and now they're eclipsed by the ridiculous power jump from the moon stuff.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Also remember that the Pumpkin Moon becomes available the exact same time the Piranha Gun does (because all you need is to summon it is that Ectoplasm drop).

So for me, Piranha Gun was ~300 dps with some stun-locking of questionable usefulness.

Meanwhile, the Pumpking's Horseman's Blade is 1000-3000 dps all over the place offscreen, not just one enemy at a time, and I usually don't even see an enemy.

Also available by now:

Daedalus Stormbow: 700-1500 dps raining down everywhere while you hide inside blocks, as long as the monster's not under you
Death Sickle: 400-1000 dps while you hide inside blocks, due to their lingering/stacking
Seedler: 400-1000 dps all over a room
Megashark w/crystal bullets: 1000 dps too I guess

edit:

Here's someone with a very complex setup, getting 25,000 to 45,000 damage per second using the Horseman's Blade :aaa:
Is it the highest DPS in the game? (edit 2: No, that user posted another video where they managed to hit 151,000,000 DPS using machines, lmao)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRnURPNDkmQ

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 1, 2019

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Another fun thing about this Horseman's blade: The pumpkins fly around very, very far away from you. If you drink a flask every 20 minutes, these will *light up*. Suddenly your whole surroundings are revealed on the minimap! No more hidden holes anywhere. The death sickle + flask is good for finding holes and new caverns too, but not any quite so far away from you.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

The piranha gun should be changed to do summon damage instead. It fits so well with that playstyle.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hey folks, I'm trying to use the Terrasavr mod but I can't locate my player file. I'm on Win 10.

This is the website: http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/

The location they suggest has very old player files in it.

Any help much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hi folks, I wanted you to know I just created a base building megathread here. Hope you find it helpful, and please leave comments in the thread, thanks.