Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Dragon Quest is basically chicken soup for the gamer soul.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
DQXI is very good and I'm glad I waited for this version instead of caving for the PS4 version. Playing modern Dragon Quest on the train is just great. I got a stupid smile on my face when I first saw the animation for Wild Side and I don't care who knows it.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure what it is about my stupid broken brain, but starting the game with stronger monsters and then turning it off later feels a lot worse to me than just never turning it on at all, which is probably why I'm agonizing about it so much. I want a mode where I can engage with all the system mechanics--crafting, buffs/debuffs, actually fighting random battles on occasion--without making the game a total cakewalk, but everything I can find suggests that the stronger enemies mode swings too far in the opposite direction.

It doesn't help that it seems like absolutely nobody can agree if stronger enemies mode is "how Dragon Quest difficulty should be" or if it's way overtuned and Dragon Quest games are never hard. I only played Dragon Quest VIII myself so I guess I don't really have a point of comparison for what Dragon Quest games are "supposed" to be like.

All of this would be solved if I could just toggle it on or off mid-game instead of just off but that's just not meant to be I guess :v:

I guess I'll stick with hard mode and just kinda... hate it until I have enough party members and spells that it becomes fun?

Why not create a copy of your hard mode file, then turn it off and see if it really bugs you that much? That way you won’t lose too much progress really

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I gave up on JRPGs after college because they were demanding too much from me. Tried a few in the past decade or so, bounced off all of them because they required big sinks of time and a lot of memorisation, both of the story and the mechanics... But DQXI in its default state is just so so so well-tailored for people who have to try and run a full-time life around their video games. Having it on the Switch just makes it even easier! Not to mention the setting and the characters and the monsters are all such good fun!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
As Tim Rogers said it's the perfect "play for 30 mins before bed" game

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Harrow posted:

I think I'm mostly annoyed just because I feel like a difficulty somewhere between normal mode and Super Strong Enemies mode would be ideal for me but it doesn't exist. Much like I'd love a mode between Hard and Maddening on Three Houses. I'm having a good enough time with Maddening anyway but only because of NG+ bonuses--I don't think I'd enjoy it one bit on NG.

I don't mind a game being easy by default. It's just that if there are going to be difficulty levels, I'd like there to be an option between "Easy" and "Very, Very Hard."

Stronger Monsters isn't "very, very hard." The difference is essentially that you can't just rely on hitting attack, attack, attack, attack every turn to get past trash mobs, you actually have to use the abilities you're unlocking. Bosses are tough but as others have said it's just a matter of preparation and strategy. I'm playing with Stronger Monsters and No EXP From Weaker Enemies and while I've hit some roadblocks, I've gotten by all of them usually just by adjusting my gear loadout or sometimes allocating my skill points differently.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is the no exp from weaker modifier ever really relevant? I can't think of a single time during the game where I went back to grind weaker mobs.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Broken Cog posted:

Is the no exp from weaker modifier ever really relevant? I can't think of a single time during the game where I went back to grind weaker mobs.

It's effectively a cap on how much you can level based on where you are in the game. I'm still early on (just got the boat) but it's low enough that I've bumped into the limit a couple times even without deliberately grinding.

No clue if that'll stay true for the entire game but so far it seems good if you want to make sure you don't outlevel the plot.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Deified Data posted:

As Tim Rogers said it's the perfect "play for 30 mins before bed" game
If I took Dragon Quest anywhere near my bed I'd get no sleep

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Ninth Layer posted:

Stronger Monsters isn't "very, very hard."
Remember that this definition will wildly vary between different people.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

I’m still extremely early in Stronger Monsters and it’s basically been keeping up on defensive equipment and using all the resources available. Can’t wait to get severely humbled by the Slayer of the Sands.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

It's there mostly to prevent you from accidentally overleveling. If you also have Stronger Monsters on, it also prevents you from intentionally overleveling to make bosses easier. But from what I remember when I played some of the PS4 version, I didn't actually hit the cap much after the early game, so I'd guess the cap is high enough that it's not really going to increase the difficulty at all.

The Ninth Layer posted:

Stronger Monsters isn't "very, very hard."

Amppelix posted:

Remember that this definition will wildly vary between different people.

To be clear about where I stand on JRPG difficulty, I'm a big fan of SMT games and Etrian Odyssey, and I thought Persona 5 on Hard was pretty much exactly where I wanted the difficulty to be. What turns me off Stronger Monsters here is that I feel like it makes normal battles take longer than I want them to, bosses take a lot longer than I want (though I guess if I can struggle through to when Erik really gets rolling that might not continue to be a problem), and it also makes it much more likely a boss's RNG will just go bad and wipe me 10 minutes into a fight.

If I could just, like, turn it on later once I'm at the point where I have a full team and a good selection of combat options to manage tough fights, I probably would, but since I can't I'm sort of paralyzed. I know I can just start with it on and turn it off later but the fact that I can't turn it back on if I do makes me very, very reluctant to do so.

Mostly I'm posting this because I'd like someone to tell me I'm wrong, I guess? Most of what I've heard from Stronger Monsters mode is this weird mix of "it's the only right way to play" with descriptions of bosses that make them sound like unfun slogs and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to read that.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Oct 1, 2019

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Turn it off and run underleveled I beg of you. Stronger monsters is just for series vets.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah, just stop fighting stuff

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Rather than use the Draconian Quest options I have decided for this playthrough I am running with the very narrow restriction of never removing Gemma's Charm from the protagonist. He will always have fond memories of his childhood in Cobblestone on his person and he's gonna like it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I could have sworn I ran into a locked door in one of the inexplicably cavernous empty wells in XI, but now that I have the key I can't find it and every resource I check indicates that one doesn't exist. Did I imagine it???

E. lol I found it within 10 seconds of posting this. works every time

also it was the wrong kind of lock anyway. Pretty funny that you find a ~magic key~ before you get one for just regular ol' doors.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 1, 2019

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Orange Crush Rush posted:

There’s a fan mod of DQIII that rebalances the classes and adds kind of a new intro. When you first start the game, your class is “Child” and if you go into other peoples houses and try to take anything you get told “You can’t do that, stealing is wrong!” After the tutorial ends you get a class change to Hero and are free to do whatever you want to anyone’s drawers/pots/barrels because you are the Hero here, dammit.

Do you know what this mod is called? I'd like to see what it's like.

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus

Amppelix posted:

Pretty funny that you find a ~magic key~ before you get one for just regular ol' doors.

Another DQ series staple!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nep-Nep posted:

Rather than use the Draconian Quest options I have decided for this playthrough I am running with the very narrow restriction of never removing Gemma's Charm from the protagonist. He will always have fond memories of his childhood in Cobblestone on his person and he's gonna like it.

Ive been doing this as well. Maybe at somepoint itll mess me up that hero only has one equipment slot but so far its been a non issue.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

So, I got the Dragon Quest Switch. Unfortunately, I didn’t realize the game doesn’t have text language switching, so I’m gonna buy the English version tomorrow. If anyone wants a copy of the Japanese game PM me.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
contemplating turning off the stronger monsters challenge because the spider boss is bullshit garbage

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I beat DQ 11 on PS4 and replaying it strictly in 2D mode on Switch. I'm seeing some new content and I'm just curious if it was added in after the fact, DLC or Switch exclusive stuff. Definitely spoilers if you haven't beat the game before. After the world tree is destroyed, unless my memory is way off when I played on PS4 I just started immediately in the underwater world with the Hero. Now it seems like there's episodes with the other characters before that happens? So was that a patch, DLC or Switch exclusive? Pretty awesome either way.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its switch exclusive

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The new solo character portions in between act 1 and 2 are amazing. Sylvando's is fabulously gay. Jade and Erik's were tragic. I just started Rab's, but it's also pulling at my heartstrings.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Do they feel alright if you've never played the game before? Haven't bought the Switch version but some of them sound like stuff that kind of ruins the surprise of meeting them again in Act II, like maybe they'd be better saved for after you get them back and you see how they got there?

e: I know that Veronica and Serena don't have a story, and friends of mine have already suspected that something's up with them which is pretty lame imo

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 2, 2019

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Townsfolk talk tripe is amazing, especially if you've played other dq games and vaugely remember some of the silly stuff from those games. Some of it had me thinking they were serious for a moment, like the 'I was once a slime but became a human' tripe. And new tripe gets added with every region, so you keep getting new stuff.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It definitely will ruin the surprise of meeting them again because they directly explain how the characters got in the situation they're in since you left them off, but, I think the emotional payoff is better. I'm thinking doing it all in between act 1 and 2 is better than doing the segments later is better since going back would halt the flow of the story.

As for that spoiler I was wondering how they'd handle that. I guess I was right in expecting them to skip that one altogether for reasons. I got up to the end of act 2 on PS4 but got my rear end kicked at Mordegon and then never beat it since life or other games got in the way, so I don't know anything that happens in the post game.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

JustJeff88 posted:

Do you know what this mod is called? I'd like to see what it's like.

I can’t remeber, I just know it’s for the GBC version. It might not be in English either

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
DQ 11 is super good and easily has the best cast of characters ever

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Detective No. 27 posted:

The new solo character portions in between act 1 and 2 are amazing. Sylvando's is fabulously gay. Jade and Erik's were tragic. I just started Rab's, but it's also pulling at my heartstrings.

Rab's is probably my favorite overall and it has a ton of dumb/fun variations based on the decisions you make

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So hey, does the switch port of dq 3 have the extra stuff that was added with the gbc version?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Pharohman777 posted:

So hey, does the switch port of dq 3 have the extra stuff that was added with the gbc version?

I'm pretty sure it's a port of the mobile version so it doesn't have TnT boards, monster medals or the second bonus dungeon.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Did they at least include the monster battle animations? Apparently the mobile port even took those out for some reason.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nope, no battle animations at all. Instead you have those super upscaled monster portraits that look like junk.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just got to the character episodes myself, and the first thing I noticed is that it seems like the audio mixing is a bit off in these. The VAs seem to have had no trouble going back to their roles but some lines are mixed super low randomly, next to ones that are mixed really loud!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I didn't notice that. I did notice that there was a MIDI track used for the upbeat song in Sylvando's episode. Either they didn't record that symphonic track or just forgot to put it in there. :(

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well since I ran into one, here's an example (jade's episode)
https://twitter.com/Amppelix/status/1179489730762694656

It's only a little off. Jade's clearly meant to be speaking quiet there, but it's way too quiet, and even her normal speaking voice is lower than the two other people.

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016
Spoilers just in case:
Is the crossbow kid minigame broken for anyone else?
I got the crossbow from the prince and talked to the big hooded dude , but no targets show up anywhere outside of Gallopolis .

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SettingSun posted:

Nope, no battle animations at all. Instead you have those super upscaled monster portraits that look like junk.
The Monster portraits look fine to me.

Ofecks posted:

Did they at least include the monster battle animations? Apparently the mobile port even took those out for some reason.
Did the Gameboy version even have any. The Switch version looks like a better version of it and the SNES version for the most part.

Also question to series vets, who would you say is your favorite Dragon Quest Demon King, and how much do the Demon kings throughout the series differ from the Dragonlord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

How long are these character episodes they added in?