Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Some flat/edged aluminium skirts would be so easy to have fabricated for that camper, don't let that put you off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Everdave, speaking of your kickin rad rv, what was the diagnosis? Some major cooling system issue?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience

everdave posted:

FC that Isuzu camper looks horrible hopefully you at least get an inspection (says the guy with his great looking RV sitting in a Japanese mechanical shop costing me $$$)

I should just buy an RV from you after it's imported... is the advice I'll probably wish I'd have followed after I wind up in the same situation.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Some flat/edged aluminium skirts would be so easy to have fabricated for that camper, don't let that put you off.

That's true. It also says on the listing that it's missing camping accessories but they don't allow additional photos at this auction house. That's what is bothering me really, not seeing the inside haha. I could pay for an inspection and that might be another avenue but man it's rough looking.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

French Canadian posted:

I should just buy an RV from you after it's imported... is the advice I'll probably wish I'd have followed after I wind up in the same situation.

That's true. It also says on the listing that it's missing camping accessories but they don't allow additional photos at this auction house. That's what is bothering me really, not seeing the inside haha. I could pay for an inspection and that might be another avenue but man it's rough looking.

If you have any doubt then the answer is "no" if you should even ask for an inspection.

You didn't know this camper existed till really recently and there will be a better one tomorrow. Only bid (and do it strongly) on something you are 100% excited for.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

If you have any doubt then the answer is "no" if you should even ask for an inspection.

You didn't know this camper existed till really recently and there will be a better one tomorrow. Only bid (and do it strongly) on something you are 100% excited for.

True. Semi-related, I'm also thinking that next year is when we'll see more turbo variants of RVs. I think that's when they started the regulation changeover, right?

Also how the gently caress do "saved searches" work? I can't figure that poo poo out. I have a bunch saved but I can't select them, etc.

Also also: What is "ETC" meaning on a lot of RV listings?

French Canadian fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 26, 2019

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

French Canadian posted:

Also also: What is "ETC" meaning on a lot of RV listings?

Electronic Toll Collector - a little box that will squawk at you in Japanese when you turn the car on.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Everdave, speaking of your kickin rad rv, what was the diagnosis? Some major cooling system issue?

The mechanic is replacing the radiator, timing belt and alternator. Supposedly Mat had him go through everything else (but with Mat who ever knows) and all is good, AC blows cold. brakes are good, clutch is good. Total is supposed to be 310k that includes all the extra BS transport from hauling it all over Japan after the problem surfaced. Mechanic is still working on it.

Edit: FC there was a nice Fargo sold for a really decent price last week and I guess buyer backed out Mat asked me if I was interested but I had too much on my plate. Look for a better RV or ask here or send me messages. I haven't got to go through auctions today so don't have any links today.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
drat, that sucks but at least you get an rv that's been gone over. That's why I wanted mine to go to a shop, just to get a once over by a mechanic used to working on them.

Lucky that it was just the rad and not a more serious issue. I hope it arrives ready for camp adventures!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Me too! I hope he truly had him go through everything thoroughly

EDIT: Timing belt, radiator, coolant hose and alternator replaced. I am having them go over the whole camper drivetrain AGAIN to make sure they don't miss anything.

everdave fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Oct 1, 2019

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Has anyone ever seen one of these? Mistakenly listed as a Lexus, vin comes back as a 94, I have asked Mat about it I HAVE TO KNOW

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

everdave posted:

Has anyone ever seen one of these? Mistakenly listed as a Lexus, vin comes back as a 94, I have asked Mat about it I HAVE TO KNOW

Energy drink promo truck, nuclear fallout detection vehicle, mobile ultra-nationalist propaganda center? Spin the wheel and find out!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

madeintaipei posted:

Energy drink promo truck, nuclear fallout detection vehicle, mobile ultra-nationalist propaganda center? Spin the wheel and find out!

Could be all of the above, hell I could buy this tonight I'll throw some stupid low bid at it. Check out the other side

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Looks like a bunch of displays or maybe a pet adoption truck with visible enclosures for cats and dogs

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Single car transporter with a garage door on one side?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Mhm guy in Japan he has no clue he has never seen one, thought too car transport but how do you get car in and out? Sheet says the auction house was unable to open the rear door (garage door)

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just scored 94 skyline AWD 35k actual km for a freaking steal!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Auction Sheet posted:

5mt, ac, inspection records, one owner, intercooled turbo, rear mounted spare, owner's manual, warranty booklet, grill guard, roof rail, fog lamps, small chips in windshield, interior worn and dirty, studless tires, end panel dents and paint, rear floor dents and paint, wheels and mirrors scratched, other dents scratches paint waves

Inspection Report posted:

engine starts one shot, idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant ok, no oil leaks, engine room some surface rust, tires cracked about 40% tread, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage painted surface rust and slight corrosion but no heavy flaking or holes, boots ok, body ok, rear floor and end panel repairs ok, windshield chips ok, seats good, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, no burns, ac weak but ok, clutch ok, gears ok, check lamps ok, lights ok, wipers ok

1994 Daihatsu Mira RV-4, a lifted 4WD turbo intercooled hot kei hatch. Official listing for power is 64 hp, the max allowable for kei class, like the AZ-1, Beat and Cappuccino. 5 speed manual, AWD/4WD, AC, lil' tiny spare tire on the back, front bullbar, fog lights and a luggage rack up top. One owner, full maintenance history, non smoker. I guess this is kinda of like if the Golf Country was grafted on to a GTI? Maybe? I had never seen this before until last night, but I love it already. 51,677 km or 32,000~ miles.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That Mira is amazing, I tried to bid but they had someone else on it and I couldn’t compete bid wise, guess that was you, awesome car! Never seen one like that it’s bad rear end

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Mighty Car Mods drove one in Japan, then Marty imported the major chunks of one to convert an Aus-market Mira (they only got the 2WD poverty-spec model) to the AWD turbo model. It's a pretty neat little car.

edit: though Marty imported the "sporty" version, rather than the "tiny CUV" version.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That's my favorite MMC build series. So much love went into that car.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I just saw a Suzuki mini-jeep thing and it was cute and awesome.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I just won ANOTHER skyline in the same color for an insane price. 2wd but one owner with all service records 99k km. I think I’ve found my niche. I need some good news as my camper is still in Japan and needs even more repairs.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Someone please tell me why so many Lancia Deltas with fancy options are being exported (and therefore why were so many purchased) in Japan back in the 90s?

Also I am highly interested in Subaru Domingos and Sambar vans with 5-speeds and full-time 4wd.

Anyone here have experience with one?

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

French Canadian posted:

Someone please tell me why so many Lancia Deltas with fancy options are being exported (and therefore why were so many purchased) in Japan back in the 90s?

Because they’re awesome?

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Big Taint posted:

Because they’re awesome?

Conceptually yes but in practice?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

French Canadian posted:

Conceptually yes but in practice?

The Japanese have a sick fetish for Italy.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

everdave posted:

I just won ANOTHER skyline in the same color for an insane price. 2wd but one owner with all service records 99k km. I think I’ve found my niche. I need some good news as my camper is still in Japan and needs even more repairs.

Sucks about the RV, but drat dude - that's a pretty baller niche! I would like one eventually (and a soarer!)

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

French Canadian posted:

Also I am highly interested in Subaru Domingos and Sambar vans with 5-speeds and full-time 4wd.

Anyone here have experience with one?

We had a 1990 Domingo
https://limerencemotors.com/inventory/1990-subaru-domingo-gx

It was a more robust kei van, a bit softer, a bit faster, a bit more comfortable and a lot more seating. I don't know why you would pick a Sambar over a Domingo if you could choose one or the other, the Domingo is a better Sambar full-stop.

Not mine, but a friend just bought this guy https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/10/700030082330190922001/gallery.html

You're looking at a factory-built-by-Honda Acty Crawler, a 6x6 kei truck. They didn't make many of them, they are very rare (as you can imagine) and if you'll pay special attention to the odometer there, this one hasn't gone very far at all. He's been after one of these for a long time now and I'm stoked to see him score one so clean. No idea how many firetruck Crawlers are out there but considering the numbers of these to begin with I wouldn't be surprised if there are like 6, total, ever made. He's going to undo the firetruck stuff as it's quite useless, the original bed is underneath that diamond plate on the back bed there, he's going to paint it, etc.
The other quality about this one is intact rear tracks, they are just large strips of rubber and more often than not are not included with the truck even when they do show up. You can run them without the tracks.

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

KakerMix posted:

We had a 1990 Domingo

It was a more robust kei van, a bit softer, a bit faster, a bit more comfortable and a lot more seating. I don't know why you would pick a Sambar over a Domingo if you could choose one or the other, the Domingo is a better Sambar full-stop.

Not mine, but a friend just bought this guy https://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/spread/goo/10/700030082330190922001/gallery.html

You're looking at a factory-built-by-Honda Acty Crawler, a 6x6 kei truck. They didn't make many of them, they are very rare (as you can imagine) and if you'll pay special attention to the odometer there, this one hasn't gone very far at all. He's been after one of these for a long time now and I'm stoked to see him score one so clean. No idea how many firetruck Crawlers are out there but considering the numbers of these to begin with I wouldn't be surprised if there are like 6, total, ever made. He's going to undo the firetruck stuff as it's quite useless, the original bed is underneath that diamond plate on the back bed there, he's going to paint it, etc.
The other quality about this one is intact rear tracks, they are just large strips of rubber and more often than not are not included with the truck even when they do show up. You can run them without the tracks.

That's amazing. Maybe he can send you a video of him driving it around...

Did it show up on the usual auction site or did he find it some other way?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That thing looks cool as hell

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

We had a 1990 Domingo

Holy poo poo that is amazing!!!!!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nugget.

UnkleBoB
Jul 24, 2000

Beginner's Version, Copyright,
1991 - Please Copy and Distribute
That is amazing

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So cool.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
i need that in my life :stare:

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Maker Of Shoes posted:

i need that in my life :stare:

Are you sure you don't mean this?!?!?!?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-g5TUbtrVMLywGwp.htm

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hell yes.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Someone buy this! 4wd, id be bidding hard if it wasn’t auto and I didn’t have 10 on the way https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-lHH7Y3BFUGWPduZ.htm

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

https://auc.japancardirect.com/aj-2ldkirXgmzcrXOX.htm

Help how do I buy this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

According to the auction sheet:

It looks like it's had its gauge cluster replaced or changed as the mileage isn't verified (the * to the right of the reading). Might still be 43,000 km, might not, might be close.

If you're absolutely serious though send yoshi@japancardirect.com an email with the link and go 'hello Devin sent me and I am interested in this vehicle' so I get a sweet discount on my next buy :getin:
That is, if you buy it. Expect to pay north of 50k USD for it is my guess.