Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

ungulateman posted:

Esper Doom Foretold?

Don't you mean Manse Dance Revolution?

I tried esper dance/manse/stax(where did this nickname come from?) in the play any deck event and it’s absolutely hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
This Izzet "Draw 2" Deck from Rudy Brizka is extremely cool and fun, and if you have the cards you should give it a whirl.

Creatures (11)
3 Crackling Drake
4 Faerie Vandal
4 Irencrag Pyromancer

Planeswalkers (4)
4 The Royal Scions

Instants (15)
1 Chemister's Insight
3 Radical Idea
3 Thrill of Possibility
4 Opt
4 Shock

Sorceries (3)
3 Lava Coil
Enchantments (4)
4 Improbable Alliance

Lands (23)
6 Mountain
7 Island
2 Castle Embereth
4 Steam Vents
4 Temple of Epiphany

Sideboard (15)
1 Stolen by the Fae
3 Frogify
4 Mystical Dispute
1 Lava Coil
3 Disdainful Stroke
3 Scorching Dragonfire

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

80s James Hetfield posted:

This Izzet "Draw 2" Deck from Rudy Brizka is extremely cool and fun, and if you have the cards you should give it a whirl.

This is more or less what I"ve been running, except I also include Arclight Phoenix. It is pretty fun, and holds its own against most decks. It's also probably pretty good if midrange ends up dominating Arena standard.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Look Around You posted:

I tried esper dance/manse/stax(where did this nickname come from?) in the play any deck event and it’s absolutely hilarious.

"Stax" was a deck that featured Smokestack and centered around resource denial in a prison style deck.

Speaking of, I'm in love with the deck, and I saw a bo1 version that featured fae of wishes. Naturally, I wanted to adapt it to bo3. Any suggestions?

Wishes Stax:
4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
2 Island (ANA) 57
3 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
3 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
3 Swamp (ANA) 58
2 Plains (ANA) 56
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
4 Golden Egg (ELD) 220
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Disfigure (M20) 95
3 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
2 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
4 Guild Globe (WAR) 239
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
4 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
1 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70

1 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Thought Distortion (M20) 117
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
1 The Elderspell (WAR) 89
1 Planar Cleansing (M20) 33
1 Command the Dreadhorde (WAR) 82
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
1 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
1 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

"Stax" was a deck that featured Smokestack and centered around resource denial in a prison style deck.

Speaking of, I'm in love with the deck, and I saw a bo1 version that featured fae of wishes. Naturally, I wanted to adapt it to bo3. Any suggestions?

Legions End is probably better than cry in the maindeck.

Are you using fae of wishes primarily as a turn 2 blocker or something because otherwise it seems far too slow for a deck that already has tempo problems and is trying to play catch-up in the mid game. If you really want to use them i'd trim a copy and replace some of your top-end wishboard stuff with discard spells or countermagic that you can actually sideboard in for games 2 and 3. The main engine of the deck is good enough that you don't really need dedicated win conditions, you just want to make sure you're the one that snowballs an early advantage and not your opponent.

Also I see that 1 of dovin's veto in every decklist but after playing the deck a bunch, i refuse to believe that anyone has actually cast it in game one. I swapped it out for a duress which is good against all the same cards and is much easier to find a window to cast. Why everyone only runs 3 doom fortolds is another thing i don't understand.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Bell_ posted:

Unless they turned those lands into creatures, what's the big deal?

Living Plane was in play. Guess they didn't really make that very clear.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

Legions End is probably better than cry in the maindeck.

Are you using fae of wishes primarily as a turn 2 blocker or something because otherwise it seems far too slow for a deck that already has tempo problems and is trying to play catch-up in the mid game. If you really want to use them i'd trim a copy and replace some of your top-end wishboard stuff with discard spells or countermagic that you can actually sideboard in for games 2 and 3. The main engine of the deck is good enough that you don't really need dedicated win conditions, you just want to make sure you're the one that snowballs an early advantage and not your opponent.

Also I see that 1 of dovin's veto in every decklist but after playing the deck a bunch, i refuse to believe that anyone has actually cast it in game one. I swapped it out for a duress which is good against all the same cards and is much easier to find a window to cast. Why everyone only runs 3 doom fortolds is another thing i don't understand.

Aside from Oko, there aren't really a ton of decks that kill you before wrath hits the board, and you are also running 4x oath of kaya for creature clean up (and the lifegain helps a ton).

As for only running 3x doom in the main, drawing multiples is clunky. It's a very good card, but you have to set it up properly. It's not that good if you're behind without oaths/globes/eggs on the board to feed to it. People call it esper stax, but in reality (as per gottlieb) it's really esper dance, as the dance of the manse is the real star of the deck (and your win condition).

Regarding the SB should look more like:
4x duress
1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
(and some amount of Mystic Dispute?)

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Look Around You posted:

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/vintage/5273_T4KS_The_Four_Thousand_Dollar_Solution_To_The_Type_One_Metagame.html

It was an acronym for the four thousand dollar solution.

$T4KS

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Drewjitsu posted:

Wishes Stax:
4 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
2 Island (ANA) 57
3 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
3 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
3 Swamp (ANA) 58
2 Plains (ANA) 56
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
4 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
4 Golden Egg (ELD) 220
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Disfigure (M20) 95
3 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
2 Dance of the Manse (ELD) 186
4 Guild Globe (WAR) 239
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
4 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44

1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Thought Distortion (M20) 117
1 Legion's End (M20) 106
1 Command the Dreadhorde (WAR) 82
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
1 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42

the best advice for making this better in bo3 is to cut the fae of wishes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
why is esper not running despark? Doesnt that hit a great target vs like everything?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

No Wave posted:

why is esper not running despark? Doesnt that hit a great target vs like everything?

there are usually a couple copies in the sideboard

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Wait what? I thought it was from a mono-brown deck that locked the opponent out with smokestack(s)...

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Wait what? I thought it was from a mono-brown deck that locked the opponent out with smokestack(s)...

It is. That other thing is a backronym.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

the best advice for making this better in bo3 is to cut the fae of wishes

yeah, fae of wishes is for bo1 and you dont want to play so many copies. in bo3 just let your sideboarding do the job. otherwise you can still play the 1 fae and wishclaw for it if you want.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Played against a dance player running the white cavalier, which was very annoying to deal with.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

wouldn't that be T$4KS?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

yeah thats what we called the deck on the streets, tea money forks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Stax definitely predates that other thing

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
T-$acks is actually a British soundcloud rapper

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Far of wishes is legit in Fires decks though. You can grab a random bomb/answer from your sideboard and play it the same turn, every other turn. Also you don't have to have the right Mana for that bomb, just enough lands.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

The four thousand dollar solution is the original name, though the inclusion of smokestack confuses the issue. Because this is a Magic deck, you know the name involving a weird forced acronym is the correct answer over simply naming the deck after an important card found within it.

Whenever a deck from that era is named after a card, it’s a card not actually in the deck (see Solidarity)

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Deck names have gone downhill since they quit being named after breakfast foods.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Q: What happens when you have 8 planeswalkers in play?
A: You have to scroll through them, apparently.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Aranan posted:

Deck names have gone downhill since they quit being named after breakfast foods.

I mean "Unlucky Fried Kitten" is kind of amazing but then multiple people came in and were like "Nuh uh Aristocats", which is terrible

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Unlucky Fried Kitten and Manse Dance Revolution are both great, if either of those decks survive the weekend.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Huxley posted:

Unlucky Fried Kitten and Manse Dance Revolution are both great, if either of those decks survive the weekend.

Unlucky fried kitten has game against anything not playing goose, that card is very dumb

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The 4k solution came first, though it's hard to think the transformation from 'T$4KS' to '$T4KS' to 'Stax' wasn't influenced by the presence of smokestack.

SMenendian on the deck in '03 (with a lycos email address).

Wizards.com article from '05.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

early 2000s was a...special time in deck naming

why was that stupid RG deck called Freshmaker anyway

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

There were a LOT of Mentos commercials on TV around the turn of the millenium.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

if a deck doesn't have a good name, whats the point of even playing it

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

AlphaKeny1 posted:

if a deck doesn't have a good name, whats the point of even playing it

killing my opponent with a sea gate oracle

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

rabidsquid posted:

killing my opponent with a sea gate oracle

"yeah you can leave your opponent empty handed and with no permanents, but what is your win condition?!"

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

match the Type 1 deck to its wincon

Eternal Dragon

Solidarity

Sickening Dreams

Nausea

Brain Freeze

Rabid Wombat

note: i have not labeled which cards are wincons and which ones are deck names, have fun

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Elyv posted:

not as stupid as RG deck "frog in a blender" (both the deck and the name)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
ngl a deck named unlucky fried kitten is making me vaguely interested in standard

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Eternal Dragon

Solidarity

Sickening Dreams

Nausea

Brain Freeze

Rabid Wombat

note: i have not labeled which cards are wincons and which ones are deck names, have fun

Solidarity to Brain Freeze, Eternal Dragon to Wombat, Sickening Dreams to Nausea

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Eternal Dragon

Solidarity

Sickening Dreams

Nausea

Brain Freeze

Rabid Wombat

without looking at other replies:

solidarity - brain freeze (know this one for sure)

nausea - sickening dreams (makes sense)

rabid wombat - eternal dragon (process of elimination; not sure which one is the deck name and which one is the wincon, but eternal dragon actually has been used as a wincon somewhere other than the sixth grade playground, so my money's on that)

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Framboise posted:

ngl a deck named unlucky fried kitten is making me vaguely interested in standard

It's great, when Cauldron Familiar comes into play you gain a life, opponent loses a life. You sac it to Witches Oven that generates a food. You use the Food to return Cauldron Familiar to your hand, put it back into play, rinse, wash, repeat. If you can get multiple Oven's out so much the better.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Seems like the cat simply returns to the battlefield when you sac the food, so even better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

That seems like a lot of work for one damage/turn and always having a chump blocker around? Or is there an engine to untap the Witch's Oven?