Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

Doubt it, Vader murdered her in one of her comics because she ratted him out to the Emperor for a few things.

Unless that's a spoiler for an unreleased comic in her ongoing series, I don't think you read it closely enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Moon Slayer posted:

Unless that's a spoiler for an unreleased comic in her ongoing series, I don't think you read it closely enough.

Pretty much. Vader tends to "kill" her at the end of her books. She's always ends up fine.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Rocksicles posted:

People have different types of dysphoria though. Regardless of the sci-fi bad humour, for some people it's not exactly inaccurate.

Don't make jokes about it, folks aren't ready and most never will be.

The stupid Kylo Ren thing aside, I really wasn't joking. I can see in almost real time how science, technology and culture shifts are feeding into each other. Call it five-seven years before it happened and gay marriage wasn't on my radar. I didn't even think of it as a thing that could exist. And it's legal and pretty much accepted, and that is amazingly cool to me.

I'm 51 years old. I have clear memories of a time when there were four channels on the TV that you had to physically get up and change yourself (ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS/Public Access). Video chat was science fiction. The most advanced video game was Pong.

So, I really can see a future of gender fluidity, body-form fluidity (including racial fluidity). I can see people able to express themselves as they choose, when they choose and how they choose. And I hope I live long enough to see that begin to come to pass.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

The From a Certain Point of View short stories brought back Bea Arthur's character from the Holiday Special, and gave her a same-sex partner. Thought that was nice :)

Another story from that also had TK-421 and Tarkin in a relationship, but for some reason it's not mentioned at all in Tarkin's Wookieepedia entry, and TK-421's only says he was in a relationship with "a superior officer".

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That one actually bothers me. I don't care if Tarkin's gay (I always assumed he was ace, actually), but he's very proper when it comes to military protocol. Abusing his power in that manner didn't really fit him as a character, imo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

They should bring Wendig back, his firing was bullshit.

Thankfully he was only let go off of his miniseries run at marvel. He could still be contracted for something new, or Del Rey could pick him up for another novel or whatever.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Robot Style posted:

Another story from that also had TK-421 and Tarkin in a relationship, but for some reason it's not mentioned at all in Tarkin's Wookieepedia entry, and TK-421's only says he was in a relationship with "a superior officer".

I remember that being left somewhat ambiguous in the text itself, but it's been a while.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Cross-Section posted:

I remember that being left somewhat ambiguous in the text itself, but it's been a while.

The author confirmed that was the intention, and in the audiobook, it's definitely Tarkin.

Neither of those mean anything canonically though, I don't think, so Disney gets to play it safe.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Tarkin isnt gay he nails Admiral Dalaa

StandardFireworks
Sep 24, 2019

Necrotizer F posted:

The stupid Kylo Ren thing aside, I really wasn't joking. I can see in almost real time how science, technology and culture shifts are feeding into each other. Call it five-seven years before it happened and gay marriage wasn't on my radar. I didn't even think of it as a thing that could exist. And it's legal and pretty much accepted, and that is amazingly cool to me.

I'm 51 years old. I have clear memories of a time when there were four channels on the TV that you had to physically get up and change yourself (ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS/Public Access). Video chat was science fiction. The most advanced video game was Pong.

So, I really can see a future of gender fluidity, body-form fluidity (including racial fluidity). I can see people able to express themselves as they choose, when they choose and how they choose. And I hope I live long enough to see that begin to come to pass.

Speaking as someone who has had their own experiences with gender dysphoria, it is worth noting that when a person is conceived there is a potential for them to be born female bodied, male bodied, intersex or other. The disconnect between how you feel you developed internally versus how you developed externally can cause great distress. There was never a potential for you to have been born a dolphin, wookie, or as any other animate or inanimate object. So when you equate people body modding themselves in that way to the trans experience it makes it seem trivial, akin to getting a tattoo.

That's my personal experience and opinion, however, not everyone's.

Sincerely hope this helps and props to you for trying to learn.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

StandardFireworks posted:

Speaking as someone who has had their own experiences with gender dysphoria, it is worth noting that when a person is conceived there is a potential for them to be born female bodied, male bodied, intersex or other. The disconnect between how you feel you developed internally versus how you developed externally can cause great distress. There was never a potential for you to have been born a dolphin, wookie, or as any other animate or inanimate object. So when you equate people body modding themselves in that way to the trans experience it makes it seem trivial, akin to getting a tattoo.

That's my personal experience and opinion, however, not everyone's.

Sincerely hope this helps and props to you for trying to learn.

It does, very much.

I've been diagnosed with Adult Attention Deficit Disorder. Among the medicines I take is a generic Adderall. I use that medicine to help me maintain focus and attention during my day to day life. However, there are people who use Adderall to stay awake, study for tests, etc. There's nothing really wrong with them, but they use the medicine as a boost, crutch or just recreationally to "party all night long."

So, in that level I kind of get it. People with various dysphorias need treatment to able to function as whole, healthy human beings.

That said, I can foresee a time with greater technological advancement when some people apply versions of those treatments in a recreational sense. Maybe a couple decides to switch genders for a month or something.

Some of the scarier thoughts I have involve the idea of genetic modification. Consider what happens when wealthy people are able to literally become "better" than their fellows. To cheat the genetic "lottery" so as to become smarter, stronger, prettier, etc. To get to the point where people who are wealthy enough end up buying themselves into a higher species than the rest of humanity.

Beyond that we could begin to see a silent genocide. Gay people have a rough time. So, if you're a parent and your kid has the "gay gene" wouldn't it be better to just delete that gene so he'll be straight? We could end choosing to deal with bigotry toward certain sexual preferences and races by just... editing out those preferences and races.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Doubt it, Vader murdered her in one of her comics because she ratted him out to the Emperor for a few things.

Read more Aphra. She's got over 40 issues out/planned since she was Thrown out of an airlock

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

That makes me glad, she reminded me of a woman I knew back in college :unsmith:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
You know what I am sad about? That in TCW Tarkin and Dooku never interacted.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I liked Aphra's introduction, where she knows drat well she's expendable and asks for a quick death once she's no longer of use

Then she got her own series and turned into a cockroach who should be dead a dozen times over, but noooooo

At least we got Triple Zero and Beetee out of it, so... 70/30 win-win?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

the aphra series is the best on going running. best art, best characters

aphras such a delightful rear end in a top hat and she should be played by constance wu

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Do I need to read the Vader comics featuring/debuting Aphra before I start her own series, or would I be ok just diving in without doing so?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Not really, but you should read both Vader comics anyway because they’re great. The Charles Soule Vader book especially.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not really, but you should read both Vader comics anyway because they’re great. The Charles Soule Vader book especially.

Peak murder Vader.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Maybe I'll go back and read Vader, but I've no interest in exploring that character further atm. I want to follow a someone fresh and new, and since everyone's been gushing about Aphra here and in other threads previous, figured I'd take the plunge. Gonna get started with volumes 1-4 on Kindle Unlimited :)

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

Maybe I'll go back and read Vader, but I've no interest in exploring that character further atm. I want to follow a someone fresh and new, and since everyone's been gushing about Aphra here and in other threads previous, figured I'd take the plunge. Gonna get started with volumes 1-4 on Kindle Unlimited :)

This is like a new character though, he's not exactly been an open book.
i'd read the vader issues with her in them first, Vader isn't exactly absent from her story

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Oct 3, 2019

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Aphra is "what if Indiana Jones... but amoral?" And it's great, and works in the SW universe.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Oh baby. http://www.hottoys.com.hk/productDetail.php?productID=742

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh my. :fap: that's me, slamming the money down

Burning_Monk posted:

Aphra is "what if Indiana Jones... but amoral?" And it's great, and works in the SW universe.

I mean, in that sense, Aphra is "what if Belloq.... but less of an rear end in a top hat"

Her current (and final) arc, where she ends up working with Vader again and is pretty much a desperate wreck who rightfully assumes she's gonna be dead tomorrow, just started this week and it's shaping up to be great.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Cross-Section posted:

Oh my. :fap: that's me, slamming the money down

I mean, in that sense, Aphra is "what if Belloq.... but less of an rear end in a top hat"

I thought of that, but Indie is more well known plus the writers have specifically said she's modeled after a young Indiana Jones.

And in someways she's MORE of an rear end in a top hat than Belloq. That's why we love her, right?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://www.starwars.com/news/marvels-star-wars-comic-relaunch?cmp=smc%7C2709321797

He's taking control of the Star War main comic from Empire to Jedi

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rocksicles posted:

https://www.starwars.com/news/marvels-star-wars-comic-relaunch?cmp=smc%7C2709321797

He's taking control of the Star War main comic from Empire to Jedi

He’s also involved in Project Luminous, the yet-to-be-revealed book project they’re doing next year. I’m actually excited, he’s one of the very few authors who’s done something refreshing and substantial in the new EU.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

First order droids are pretty scary.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thelaughingman posted:

First order droids are pretty scary.

BB-H8's got some moves

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Burning_Monk posted:

Aphra is one of my fav SW characters period

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Did the first season 2 episode come out? I saw someone discussing it on facebook.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Yes! It was pretty good. Still fairly slapstick-y and not much progress in the plot besides Tam, but hey, that was actually a half-decent Alien homage.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

BB units can be very scary if they want to be

They were a lot more nimble than I gave them credit for

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vinylshadow posted:

those RCS thrusters were a nice touch.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I have to say, this episode really highlighted for me that Resistance just doesn't have the same magic Rebels did. I was so stoked for the Rebels season two premier. Asoka was back! Vader! Asoka possibly meeting Vader! I was thinking about it weeks in advance. This, I saw coming up on my TV schedule and was like ... eh, okay. And it was just okay, like all the season 1 episodes. I hope it's just flatter writing and characters because I don't want to be one of those fans who clings to the OT timeline and shuns all the new stuff but drat was Rebels good.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Animation didn't seem all that improved either, but at least the setpieces look as lovely as ever

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Vinylshadow posted:

Hurty too!

Tam coming back is clearly going to be on her terms. She'll probably be ordered to fire on a civilian transport or something and go "wait what?"

Or maybe she's going to end up being totally okay with the First Order's evil.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Episode's on the Star Wars Kids YouTube if you missed it, or want to rewatch for details you may have missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZUFvFkWwQ4

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think I'm going to stay clear of Resistance for the same reason I didn't watch Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures: I'm clearly out of the target age range.

But I appreciate what it's trying to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

I think I'm going to stay clear of Resistance for the same reason I didn't watch Lego Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures: I'm clearly out of the target age range.

But I appreciate what it's trying to do.

Freemaker's a pretty good binge series if you want something a little less hectic once in a while

It's a good wholesome series