Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, financial success for a super hero movie with a massive marketing budget doesn't mean that movie resonated with people. A lot of people watched it but the only thing that had staying power in that whole movie was Harley's costume. Thor 2 made 644kk, ain't nobody giving a gently caress about Thor 2 nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Eh! Frank posted:

I'll admit, it was somewhat of a guilty pleasure for me, though I've only seen it once. I found it more enjoyable that BvS:DoJ at least.

Same. It's not a high bar by any means, but SS cleared it for me.

That being said, I haven't watched any DC movie in full since and the only one I'm planning on giving the time of day is WW 84, so take that as you will.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I do find Margot Robbie to be a magnetic actress, the way she manipulates the Earth's magnetic fields emotes and expresses feels unlike anyone else around. And the film seems...uh. Like a film? It does indeed looks like a film you can watch and experience with your senses.

Yeah I dunno. The only things that draw me -- Dinah, Helena, Cassandra -- aren't all that pronounced in the trailer.

At least it...is a great vehicle for female ensemble films?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/TheAVClub/status/1179107493311647746

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Todd Phillips is doing a hell of job of making me not want to watch his movie.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

site posted:

they cant get deadshot on the phone so they ring up his opposite version cousin Liveshot

"This is your cousin Marvin....MARVIN LAWTON.
You know that superhero film franchise you wanted to star in?
Well listen to this!
(Holds up phone.)
What's that you don't want to do it?
Fine I'll do it instead."

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Here are all the good things about the suicide squad movie:

1. Margot as Harley
2. Captain Boomerang
3. Slipknot, the man who can climb anything

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
I liked Katana, who has that one dude's back.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I remember concluding that Suicide Squad was a bad movie that I liked. Which is up from Justice League's meh movie that I felt meh about, but down from Wonder Woman's solid movie that I liked. Idk if that's enough to get me to Birds of Prey though. I skipped Aquaman, Shazam, and frankly I liked Deadshot more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Darth Nat posted:

I liked Katana, who has that one dude's back.

I would advise not getting killed by her.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I thought the BoP trailer had some realy pretty shots and also literal shots

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Isn't the term for whatever SS2 is a requel? So, kind of like a sequel but one that is largely jettisoning most of the elements and plot threads of previous entries, and kind of taking a new tone, whilst still keeping vague continuity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Um, Killer Croc's makeup is objectively good and won Oscar Award Winner Suicide Squad its Oscar Award.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karloff posted:

Isn't the term for whatever SS2 is a requel? So, kind of like a sequel but one that is largely jettisoning most of the elements and plot threads of previous entries, and kind of taking a new tone, whilst still keeping vague continuity.

I'd call it a soft reboot personally but both terms are equally dumb and devoid of actual meaning

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i was mistaken. goons need a hero to look up to.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Karloff posted:

That reminds me of how Desperado was kind of a sequel and kind of a bigger-budget, more professional remake of El Mariachi.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

That reminds me of how Desperado was kind of a sequel and kind of a bigger-budget, more professional remake of El Mariachi.

Wasn't The Evil Dead 2 the same thing?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Evil Dead 2 is a different movie with a 5 minute recap they filmed because they didn’t have the rights to the first movie.

The movie technically starts when Ash gets thrown through the woods, since the first film ends when the Evil attacking ash.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Evil Dead 2 is a different movie with a 5 minute recap they filmed because they didn’t have the rights to the first movie.

The movie technically starts when Ash gets thrown through the woods, since the first film ends when the Evil attacking ash.

on the commentary they talk about how its a sequel and ash is dumb enough to bring another girl to the same cabin and accidentally play the book recording again

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's a joke.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

the movie is a comedy

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Your mom is a comedy!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

scary ghost dog posted:

the movie is a comedy

It's true.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Dias posted:

Yeah, financial success for a super hero movie with a massive marketing budget doesn't mean that movie resonated with people. A lot of people watched it but the only thing that had staying power in that whole movie was Harley's costume. Thor 2 made 644kk, ain't nobody giving a gently caress about Thor 2 nowadays.

The Russos do.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
"I'm not going to do comedies anymore!" - Person directing a movie about a goddamn clown.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe
Clowns have never been funny. Ever.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Kristy was funny. Also that one from Garfield that shouted heeeeeey kids!

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

X-O posted:

I would advise not getting killed by her.

This is some of the worst writing I've ever heard in a movir, incredible lol.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Jamesman posted:

"I'm not going to do comedies anymore!" - Person directing a movie about a goddamn clown.

also, person who last made a good comedy a decade ago.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Spacebump posted:

also, person who last made a good comedy a decade ago.

dude thinks comedies are necessarily about punching down and is definitely high on his own farts

quote:

Go try to be funny nowadays with this woke culture. There were articles written about why comedies don’t work anymore—I’ll tell you why, because all the loving funny guys are like, ‘gently caress this poo poo, because I don’t want to offend you.’ It’s hard to argue with 30 million people on Twitter. You just can’t do it, right? So you just go, ‘I’m out.’ I’m out, and you know what? With all my comedies—I think that what comedies in general all have in common—is they’re irreverent.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He never even made those kinds of comedies. That wasn't his style.

It's just the convenient, trendy excuse for why he hasn't been able to get anything off the ground since the Hangover.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Hangover was a decent comedy that would have been much less popular without the end credits photos.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CityMidnightJunky posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuhbW8LTcMM

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Spacebump posted:

The Hangover was a decent comedy that would have been much less popular without the end credits photos.

I don't know how they got away with that one photo of Zack Galifinackis literally getting a blowjob in a rated r movie

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
director who can't make it doing comedy directs film about... guy who can't make it doing comedy but he becomes a criminal mastermind fighting against, like, the society that bullied him, man

almost getting some Lady in the Water vibes

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I feel like I would be more interested in this movie if I had literally info on any character beyond Harley Quinn, you know? I get who she is and what her deal is, but none of the other characters got any time in that trailer. It's called Birds of Prey! Lemme get an idea about the titular characters, drat!

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I feel he's definitely leaning into the backlash for self-promotion, which is partly why I was uncomfortable about the pre-release backlash. It doesn't mean he doesn't sound like a douche. I'll probably check it out on home video, kinda cooled off on Joker after everything.

Jim the Nickel posted:

I feel like I would be more interested in this movie if I had literally info on any character beyond Harley Quinn, you know? I get who she is and what her deal is, but none of the other characters got any time in that trailer. It's called Birds of Prey! Lemme get an idea about the titular characters, drat!

I mean...this was for sure the Harley Quinn movie until people figured out she maybe needed comedic foils and, hey, what do y'know, the Birds of Prey are just sitting there unused! I'd be astonished to learn it was thought up as an ensemble movie from the get-go.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

CzarChasm posted:

Same. It's not a high bar by any means, but SS cleared it for me.

That being said, I haven't watched any DC movie in full since and the only one I'm planning on giving the time of day is WW 84, so take that as you will.

Based on a lot of the video reviews and a few youtube breakdowns, I'm feeling the same way about Venom. I won't say it looks great and I'm not even a fan of the character but it looks funny, weird, interesting and most of the effects look terrific. I was gonna take a hard pass on it since I'd heard really bad things and am kind of burnt out on comic book stuff anyway but the more I see of it the more I want to watch it.

Conversely, though, the more I see of SS the less I want to see it cause ye gads that poo poo looks awful - and this is coming from someone who didn't have a problem with Leto Joker. Of the clips and reviews I've watched, Leto has been one of the best things in it IMO.

EDIT:

Shazam was good and Aquaman looks like a wild time in the way that Speed Racer was. Just a ton of eye candy and crazy poo poo going on. Watching a few Aquaman reviews reminded me of how hard the ball was dropped with Green Lantern and I think I want to watch it for the crazy visuals alone since GL's were so god awful.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Oct 2, 2019

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

BiggerBoat posted:

Based on a lot of the video reviews and a few youtube breakdowns, I'm feeling the same way about Venom. I won't say it looks great and I'm not even a fan of the character but it looks funny, weird, interesting and most of the effects look terrific. I was gonna take a hard pass on it since I'd heard really bad things and am kind of burnt out on comic book stuff anyway but the more I see of it the more I want to watch it.

Conversely, though, the more I see of SS the less I want to see it cause ye gads that poo poo looks awful - and this is coming from someone who didn't have a problem with Leto Joker. Of the clips and reviews I've watched, Leto has been one of the best things in it IMO.

EDIT:

Shazam was good and Aquaman looks like a wild time in the way that Speed Racer was. Just a ton of eye candy and crazy poo poo going on. Watching a few Aquaman reviews reminded me of how hard the ball was dropped with Green Lantern and I think I want to watch it for the crazy visuals alone since GL's were so god awful.

Suicide Squad is a staggering achievement in not trusting the intelligence of the audience and also in unbelievably terrible writing, editing, pacing, and tone setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SlimGoodbody posted:

Suicide Squad is a staggering achievement in not trusting the intelligence of the audience and also in unbelievably terrible writing, editing, pacing, and tone setting.

I'd also like to note the unbelievable number of totally-on-the-nose yet baffling needle drops.