Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So a Miata.

Edit: I really love this blue. And this one is within driving distance
https://www.carfax.com/vehicle/3FADP4GX2FM190225

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Sep 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Rhyno posted:

So a Miata.

I also love that blue... Spyder used to have one and I <3'd it.

That being said, I'd consider holding out for a 2016+ (pretty sure it's 2016, maybe it's 2017) that has Sync3. You're a software update away from Android Auto, and a software update + new USB hub thing away from Apple CarPlay. No matter what anyone says, it's not cheap to switch from Sync2 to Sync3 unless you luck out with used parts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm going to buy the newest one I can that has the recaros and low miles. That blue though, such a tragedy that Ford killed it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Rhyno posted:

So a Miata.

imo the price is high. my red one was 13.5k with less mileage a little over a year and a half ago

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I agree, I just love that blue. I feel like the one in WA might been the best bang for the buck but oh well. Most likely going to get a black one so long as I can find exactly what I want. Thankfully there is no rush on this.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

So I am heavily considering buying this 2017 GTI SE for $20K with 13K miles. Link here.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated on the car and handling the purchase process. It is really low miles, so I am wondering if it is worth the inspection. It seems really inexpensive for the miles/package.

I haven't owned a car in a few years, but decided now is the time to get out of the city more and actually explore the PNW. I was also considering a new Veloster type N, but this is cheaper and my significant other can drive it. Plus, I haven't driven manual in quite a long time.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
yes yes let me avoid spending a hundred dollars to protect my $20,000 purchase that appears suspiciously cheap, this makes sense because???

i would run the VIN on that bad boy just to make sure it was never owned by VWoA or anything like that.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Venture Motors LLC...hrm.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Presenting Nipples posted:

So I am heavily considering buying this 2017 GTI SE for $20K with 13K miles. Link here.

Any thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated on the car and handling the purchase process. It is really low miles, so I am wondering if it is worth the inspection. It seems really inexpensive for the miles/package.

I haven't owned a car in a few years, but decided now is the time to get out of the city more and actually explore the PNW. I was also considering a new Veloster type N, but this is cheaper and my significant other can drive it. Plus, I haven't driven manual in quite a long time.

it's probably been tuned...these cars should really have a tune if they have an aftermarket intake. id say you should ask for information about how the car was tuned and walk away if they say it wasnt or dont have any information

the price is a bit low, maybe 1-2k less than what that would typically command? not necessarily a bad sign

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 17, 2019

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

it's probably been tuned...these cars should really have a tune if they have an aftermarket intake. id say you should ask for information about how the car was tuned and walk away if they say it wasnt or dont have any information

the price is a bit low, maybe 1-2k less than what that would typically command? not necessarily a bad sign

Thanks, I asked them and he said "It just has the intake and lower springs no tune"

Mostly curious, why should I walk away?

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Thanks, I asked them and he said "It just has the intake and lower springs no tune"

Odds are if they did something like the AccessPort they just uninstalled the tune and resold the accessport since it take 5 minutes and no tools to do so.

I think the general idea is if the dealer is BSing you then you don't want to deal with them

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

price seems just a bit too low and you would be wise to not trust someone selling a modified car with fairly low mileage under market value prices. in 2019, if they really did an intake without tune they are a bad car owner.

lucky for you there should be plenty of GTIs available in the area. (im biased) but i'd recommend a 2017 sport model (not S) worth seeking out if you dont need leather seats or a leaky sunroof but still want the perf package, nice headlights and keyless entry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

walk because it's been modded and then sold within 15,000 miles

and get a PPI whenever you want to buy a car, not hard

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
You can take it to the dealer and they can tell you if it had an accessport tune. If it's JB4, they may not, but if the ECU has been flashed you can tell. A lot of people do intakes because it sounds nice, it makes no difference tune or not.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Rhyno posted:

I agree, I just love that blue. I feel like the one in WA might been the best bang for the buck but oh well. Most likely going to get a black one so long as I can find exactly what I want. Thankfully there is no rush on this.

Just get whatever FiST, then get it wrapped any color you want.

BraveUlysses posted:

There really isn't any indication that it has been tuned. Most people in the GTI community install an aftermarket intake either thinking it will help performance wise (very very marginal gains if any) and or for the sound. OP could always email the VIN to the big tuners to see if it has been tuned (APR, COBB, Integrated Engineering, EQT, 5150 Racing). But if all they did was intake and springs, most likely just a JB4 if anything.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
or you know, just keep shopping!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Time to unpimp ze auto...

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

price seems just a bit too low and you would be wise to not trust someone selling a modified car with fairly low mileage under market value prices. in 2019, if they really did an intake without tune they are a bad car owner.

lucky for you there should be plenty of GTIs available in the area. (im biased) but i'd recommend a 2017 sport model (not S) worth seeking out if you dont need leather seats or a leaky sunroof but still want the perf package, nice headlights and keyless entry.

Looks like this fits the bill, it has a lot more miles on it but is $1K cheaper. I am wondering if I can get them down to $17K. I plan to check the cars out on Saturday, got pre-approved for a loan with 3.74% interest by my bank.

https://www.wilsonvillechevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2017-Volkswagen-Golf_GTI-Sport-Wilsonville-OR/3481718423

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Since I sold the focus, I have a full 16" wheel, snow tire, and TPMS package for a Focus ST in Southeast Michigan. I posted in the marketplace but PM me for deets if you want.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Drove another one today, gonna take some major to deter me now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Something I have forgotten to check/test when driving FiSTs, is it true they don't have one-touch down for the other windows?

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Something I have forgotten to check/test when driving FiSTs, is it true they don't have one-touch down for the other windows?

True. Driver window only.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rhyno posted:

Correct, only for the driver's window. Euro-spec models have it on both sides, but I don't think anyone has tried to retrofit it to a US-spec car.

Just another reminder that while a loaded FiST can be over $26,000 it's still a $15,000 car at heart.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

SHES GOT IT WHERE IT COUNTS, KID

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's not a deal breaker!

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
My Fi has a crank for all its windows, beat that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Do you guys have any issue with hitting your leg on the lower part of the dash when you it the throttle? I bumped it a few times, enough to be a slight annoyance.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
How do you mean? Like the top of your leg hitting one of the low parts of the dash, or the side of your leg if you rest it slightly offset?

If I'm leaning my legs out to relax while on cruise control the sides of my knees end up hitting areas that aren't necessarily comfortable, but no such problems along the vertical axis.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Maybe I was just sitting funny. I only partially adjusted the seat, the owner of the last one I drove is a tiny man.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Maybe I was just sitting funny. I only partially adjusted the seat, the owner of the last one I drove is a tiny man.

The harsh upward rake of the seat bottom, the shifter position, and the shallow pedal box all conspire to make the Fiesta a little awkward to sit in at first. I found as a short dude that I was better sliding the seat back an extra notch and running a longer shift knob.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
On long trips I like to raise the back of the seat up a few pumps, which lets me slide back a bit without putting pressure on the back of my legs. Wrecks my view out the rear window though, so I usually drop it back down once I'm off the highway.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not tall at all, just taller than this dude was.

I found a brand new one with the seats for $20500 but my wife vetoed it, I guess I promised to keep it around $15k. Still not in a hurry though, if anything 2018s will start popping up more and more.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Rhyno posted:

I'm not tall at all, just taller than this dude was.

I found a brand new one with the seats for $20500 but my wife vetoed it, I guess I promised to keep it around $15k. Still not in a hurry though, if anything 2018s will start popping up more and more.

This seems like a decent deal, to be honest.

https://turbo.cars.com/vdp/781844377?partnerlf=bottom&aff=turbotrp27

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It's on my list. There's been more popping up for sale daily so I'm just waiting patiently over here.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Vibe GT update, awesome.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Kinda want this, although I imagine buying a used $100k car is probably actually a moneypit.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-2013-mercedes-e63-amg/6973438844.html&#160;

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: bad url parsing, never mind

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

MetaJew posted:

Kinda want this, although I imagine buying a used $100k car is probably actually a moneypit.

https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/austin-2013-mercedes-e63-amg/6973438844.html

Fixed it for you.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Mustache Ride posted:

Fixed it for you.

Who gives a poo poo about it being a money pit, loving buy that thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
:ck5: