Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Hi, I was really excited to play the remake of Links Awakening last week, but for some reason I had the idea that I should instead really try to play Dwarf Fortress.

I got up to about 160 citizens, then this happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The severed part here being everything below the neck.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Neurion posted:

The severed part here being everything below the neck.

I have played this game too much because I thought the same.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
One of my favorite bugs back when the new health system was recently introduced was that it was both possible and survivable to cut someone's neck off. Just the neck.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

Hi, I was really excited to play the remake of Links Awakening last week, but for some reason I had the idea that I should instead really try to play Dwarf Fortress.

That's horrible! You mean this happened outside of an officially designated superfluous-child-killing arena?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

NyetscapeNavigator posted:

So... You made the right choice, then?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

This is my favorite line from DFwiki:

quote:

Guts: Damage to the guts causes great pain and nausea. Creature will vomit and then retch repeatedly depending on how much damage was caused. This slows down the creature and can dehydrate them. When the guts are pierced they may spill out of the wound. This is visible as a gray "~" trailing behind the creature. This causes a lot of bleeding and exposes the guts themselves as a target for aimed attacks. Slicing off the exposed guts causes heavy bleeding and almost always death. The cut off guts can then be picked up and used as a weapon.

I like how it gives the last bit as just a bit of practical information.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hey man, it's called "adventure mode" and you need the right guts to play it.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

BRB gonna roleplay as doomguy

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

That's the only book they'll ever need

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The honey badger is still alive. It was just kind of written on a little.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

*opens honey badger, flips to page 12*

:iit:

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like the rad mortal kombat rear end idea of gutting a guy and then using him as a flail on another motherfucker.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Hypothetically a creature could have guts made of silver or slate and could be a really effective improvised bludgeoning weapon, yes?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Hmmm I think maybe not. My loose memory is creatures made of nonstandard materials like that are usually just homogenous lumps of the stuff without organs, but I'm not 100% on that. If I'm right that means no guts, but you could still chop a limb off and swing that around I think.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Asimov posted:

Hypothetically a creature could have guts made of silver or slate and could be a really effective improvised bludgeoning weapon, yes?

I wondered about this by the way, if you have a forgotten beast made of some weird material, does that include the guts, or are they still made of the material the body is made of?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hihohe posted:

I like the rad mortal kombat rear end idea of gutting a guy and then using him as a flail on another motherfucker.

I'm going to collect guts like dungeon masters collect robes.

RandomMagus
May 3, 2017

Mzbundifund posted:

Hmmm I think maybe not. My loose memory is creatures made of nonstandard materials like that are usually just homogenous lumps of the stuff without organs, but I'm not 100% on that. If I'm right that means no guts, but you could still chop a limb off and swing that around I think.

In the default vertebrate tissue layers in b_detail_plan_default, guts are assigned a material of "gut" with 100% of the organ being that material.

You could make a new tissue plan that uses everything exactly the same as default vertebrate tissue but change the Guts material to SILVER or SLADE and it would work. I've built liches with steel bones and 0 fat using custom tissue layers (if they lit on fire they became immune to melee because you can't burn to death without fat and you can't path into a tile next to a burning creature :iit:)

The French Army
Mar 28, 2013

:france: Honneur et Patrie :france:

My fortress was attacked by a werelizard. A bunch of my militia guys got bitten while killing it and while they were in the hospital waiting to get patched up, they turned. So I just locked them in. They all killed each other down to just one dwarf, who laid on the floor for a year, not being treated and not getting up despite nothing being wrong with him. He needed stitches and a bandage but wasn't showing any wounds. However it happened, he finally managed to get his treatment and so rather than crushing him under a drawbridge, drowning him or burning him up in magma, I assigned him to the giant cave spider silk factory. Since he's a werelizard, he'll never need food or water and any injuries he sustains will be healed by his monthly transformations. So I managed to enslave that weredwarf. The giant cave spider is happily blasting webs at him, the weavers are happily weaving them into fabric, the rest of the fortress is happily not being attacked by him, and he is miserable.

On the whole, I think things worked out well.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I wonder if anyone has modded in some of the Dwarf Fortress creatures. I'd love to see swamp dragons modded in. Sad little lizards that explode for nearly any reason.

I want to make my fort into the Sanctuary for Sick Dragons.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Explosions in general should be in the game, I want dynamite and bomb traps

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Do the versions if this game change drastically or should I be ok with YouTube tutorials from 5 years ago?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

Do the versions if this game change drastically or should I be ok with YouTube tutorials from 5 years ago?

For starting your first fort those should do fine but honestly best results will probably just be to post any questions you have here.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah for the most part the controls and mechanic have remain unchanged. Toadys mostly been adding stuff to the game without reworking anything.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jel Shaker posted:

If they are recent enough to have Z-levels I think they will get you pointed in the right direction.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Ah, so it is playing as intended when my little guys get turned into mincemeat in the first month

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

Ah, so it is playing as intended when my little guys get turned into mincemeat in the first month

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Shibawanko posted:

Explosions in general should be in the game, I want dynamite and bomb traps

but then toady would model pressure dynamics

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jel Shaker posted:

new versions of this game tend to break fiddly little habits that completely upturn how veteran players have become acclimated to for years and years, and sometimes they break them quite catastrophically, but in terms of broad strokes "how do i play this game" you should be fine

e: grammar

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 2, 2019

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

new versions of this game tend to break fiddly little habits that completely upturn veteran players have become acclimated to for years and years, and sometimes they break them quite catastrophically, but in terms of broad strokes "how do i play this game" you should be fine

rip danger rooms

:sigh:

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Gamerofthegame posted:

but then toady would model pressure dynamics

Not seeing a down-side.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

xarph posted:

Not seeing a down-side.

Imagine the FPS drain of semi-realistic water physics.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Excelzior posted:

rip danger rooms

:sigh:

Hey, in fairness, danger rooms are still a viable way of training dwarves, especially the coin exploder hellroom, it's just that they're a little slower and train your medical professions as well.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I'm still kinda mad about guts being their own material, what the hell is procedural about that. Let's get some random blood fuilds, skeletal and muscular structure, teeth and more.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Mod your dwarves' teeth to be made of glass.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Now that teacher, student, and discipline actually do things danger rooms aren't especially desirable, more to the point.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Olaf The Stout posted:

Imagine the FPS drain of semi-realistic water physics.

Imagine the bugs and the weaponizing thereof!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

xarph posted:

Imagine the bugs and the weaponizing thereof!

Can't wait to make water lasers and plasma casters based on generating impossible SS13 levels of heat and pressure.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Can't wait to make water lasers and plasma casters based on generating impossible SS13 levels of heat and pressure.

If you don't turn on the engine within 15 minutes of starting a fort, the singularity breaks containment and unleashes the demons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

A dwarf fortress fort where everyone was and individually controlled adventure-mode entity would be amazing. "Space Station 13" style scenario forts with dozens of real players doing things in real-time would be an interesting experiment but you'd need a pretty disciplined group to not just immediately burrow into hell, unleash magma, kill the elf caravan, or any matter of shenanigans.

I could envision some neat objectives that aren't as adversarial as SS13 though.
- Build a bridge across the river and loot the chest before the ice melts
- Work together to imprison a forgotten beast
- Craft and trade the most X of Y item to a traveling caravan before the time limit expires
- Meet an opposing fort in battle after 1 year or prep time, last team standing wins
- First group to drop 10,000,000 lbs of weight on a pressure plate lifts the door and gets the prize Expand this to liquids, items, force, corpses, etc.

It would be like a very intense old-school MUD with a time limit. You're controlling Urist in your stone masonry shop.
code:
Action?

Craft stone mug

Starting craft - stone mug, wait for completion

[waiting 5 ticks]
[waiting 4 ticks]
[waiting 3 ticks]
[waiting 2 ticks]
[waiting 1 tick] 
You have crafted a -=*Granite Mug*=-

Engrave Granite Floor {5 moons, image of cheese, image of screaming}

Starting engrave floor, wait for completion