Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I imagine if you don't like anime stuff then code vein will bug you a lot regardless of how much you like souls style stuff and souls style anime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Let's put it this way: If dark souls is 1 and asura's wrath is 10, wheres code vein?

Ooh god, like an 11.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Let's put it this way: If dark souls is 1 and asura's wrath is 10, wheres code vein?
i mean its not really easy to compare 1:1 because asura's wrath and code vein are different things. asura's wrath is big on screamy shouty dbz matches, code vein is much more edgy brooding vampires and ladies with huge boobs. if you want a comparison point for code vein itd compare pretty directly with like, blazblue.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Semi-related but souls games should be sassier sometimes. One of the most memorable moments for me playing through king's field 3 was when my amulet that tells you about npcs you use it on tells me about how annoyed it is by this ghost bride who keeps sticking around and won't pass on and that she's just kind of annoying.

e: everybody post your favorite Sassy Souls momentS.

Basically post why Shalquoir owns

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 2, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
idk what asura's wrath is but any scale where dark souls is a 1 is not a good scale

Code Vein is a like...7/10 anime though. It's pretty anime but it isn't full of anime tropes as far as I can tell. It's just the aesthetics and storytelling, which isn't usually what people mean when they complain about anime, they're usually complaining about uguu catgirl maids or whatever

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

idk what asura's wrath is
wow

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jay Rust posted:

Those are both equally anime.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
What the golf loving owns

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my goty list in terms of 2019 games is pretty small so far because it's largely apple arcade games

1) Dragon Quest Builders 2 (Switch)
2) Tangle Tower (iOS)
3) Sayonara Wild Hearts (iOS)
4) Super Mario Maker 2 (Switch)
5) Jenny LeClue (iOS)
6) Assemble With Care (iOS)
7) Blazing Chrome (PC)
8) The Pinball Wizard (iOS)
9) My Time at Portia (Switch)
10) Card of Darkness (iOS)

i'll be updating the list as I play through Cat Quest 2, Oceanhorn 2, ChuChu Rocket 2, What the Golf, Bleak Sword, Shinsekai Deep Sea, and the new Shantae. on the year i've beaten 123 games so the "games i beat in 2019 regardless of release date" list will be quite a bit different

SeXReX posted:

What the golf loving owns
yeah it's cool

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

What's this? Seems interesting. drat that smile is creepy though

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't think I'll ever understand incredibly passionate hatred for anime.

Mostly because it feels very performative.

Roth fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 2, 2019

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Roth posted:

It is :ssh:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Everything is anime, unless I happen to like it. Then it is less anime than the bad anime.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. I'm looking for some game recommendations and figured you can help.

I haven't played anything in ages, but have this hankering for games like Flashback and Another World and don't feel like replaying them for the nth time on my Amiga emulator. Are there any recent PC games similar to those which you can recommend?

In case you're not familiar with my nostalgia trip, here's what I'm talking about :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyY9Sz13d0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjMf_bEfqIc

Basically what if Prince of Persia but sci-fi?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Big Scary Owl posted:

What's this? Seems interesting. drat that smile is creepy though

It's from We Met in May, the new game from Nina Freeman and co. (she worked on Tacoma and designed other games like Cibele and Kimmy)

And yes, the art in the game owns

Trabant posted:

Hello thread. I'm looking for some game recommendations and figured you can help.

I haven't played anything in ages, but have this hankering for games like Flashback and Another World and don't feel like replaying them for the nth time on my Amiga emulator. Are there any recent PC games similar to those which you can recommend?

Shadow Complex or The Fall, maybe?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the Mario & Luigi RPG series is dead

https://www.resetera.com/threads/alphadream-developer-of-the-mario-luigi-series-declares-bankruptcy.144521/

thanks Nintendo, you killed it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Also, I finished Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, and it really says something that that was one of the least obtuse point n clicks I've played

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Trabant posted:

In case you're not familiar with my nostalgia trip, here's what I'm talking about :

I have not played this game so idk if it's any good but it's what I immediately thought of.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/963450/The_Eternal_Castle_REMASTERED/

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

:( Oh no

Their games were so good and charming too. I hope Nintendo is able to do something about it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's a mega bummer especially since I thought Paper Jam was way better than their previous games, felt like they were getting back on track

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Did they put out a remake of 2? I know they remade 1 and 3 but I feel like most of what they were doing these past few years has been working on remakes. Did anyone here buy any of the remakes? How were the bonus side stories?

Also, blitties are amazing and the final boss music in Bowser's Inside Story is so good

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't think partners in time got a remake which is a shame because it probably needed one the most of any of them. was the most linear, shortest campaign, and needed more puzzle variety to its dungeons

but I would've still preferred that they make a new game entirely than be stuck on these remakes

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

oh hell yeah.

in response to feedback in the beta, Planet Zoo devs are introducing an offline version of the Franchise Mode (a mode where there's no story or scenarios, but you are still limited by money, research, etc. as opposed to career or sandbox modes). it will still have the challenge of zoo management without having to deal with server issues or trying to buy overpriced animals off the market from other players.

this is very refreshing to hear in the age of always-online bullshit and devs that refuse to make big changes to their precious games.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Sounds like they never diversified outside of Nintendo projects. Nintendo pays for the game dev and keeps the sales, so unless they had crazy incentives, they should've been looking for other projects to subsidize. And if they were banking on incentives, that's even dumber. But if nintendo is dropping the series for now with the death of the 3ds, it's easy to see them waving the white flag. But this doesn't mean they're gone, just broke and can't pay debt. If anything, might make it easier for them to get bought by someone.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I Bought A PS4 Update Number Whatever:

Tonight I started both God of War and Spider-Man, two of the three games from last year that finally convinced me that I wanted this godforsaken parallelogram of fun. it just so happens that my family has also purchased a brand new 4K television (not a super-fancy one mind you, but 4k is 4k) so I decided to check out whether the games really do look all that much better on it...

yup, they do.

Actually, i'd probably have to sit down a play a few hours back to back between our LCD HD and our LCD 4k (and my own personal TV, a very nice plasma) to really determine where the advantages are but i think these are two of the best looking games I've ever played in the sanctity of my own home and it's not even particularly close. Honestly, i know that GoW got most of the attention for its visuals last year (Giant Bomb gave it their best graphics award over Red Horse Balls in 4k Redemption 2) but oh my word that Spider-Man game looks so loving pretty. There was a brief moment when Kingpin showed up on a computer screen in the game that I thought "oh man is that an FMV?" and the clean colors and great detail in everything makes it look like the platonic ideal of a superhero game, especially that classic suit. Even after i got the fancy new upgraded suit i just switched back to the old one because it looks so good. GoW obviously looks beautiful and all of the sprawling mountains are great and everything but it didn't quite stand out like Spider-Man did.

Gameplay-wise, both are very good too. I think God of War is currently winning out in the gameplay department just because i think the action is slightly more my speed. With Spider-Man I'm just having a bit of trouble getting a hold of all of the things you can do in the battles (shoot webs, zip over, air combos, dodge) and i don't think the targeting is quite as good, whereas that axe in GoW feels powerful and always hits who I want it to. I also appreciated the dodging a bit more, perhaps because I had an opportunity really early on to practice against one heavy enemy who could kill me in 2 hits, which forced me to really lock down when you hit dodge. I wouldn't be surprised if the two games had slightly different timings and that's what tripped me in in Spider-Man, since I played it second.

Overall, both of these games definitely live up to the hype for me, even if I'm still very early on. They also confirm that it was probably worth the extra 70 or so that I paid in for the Pro, although the new TV really makes that worthwhile (I actually didn't know it was coming when I made the purchase so it was sort of like fate). I still have a bunch of games to try out that I've bought though; I'm gonna play The Last of Us on a massive movie theater screen, i've still yet to download Horizon: Zero Dawn, I got Nier Automata on recommendation from my cousin, plus I got Tomb Raider, Just Cause 3, Ratchet and Clank and the Nathan Drake Collection on sale that I might get around to eventually. And I want to play Control if Redbox ever starts carrying it. My PS4 is gonna see plenty of action over the next few months.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm not sure how bankruptcy works in japan but at least in america when a game house goes bankrupt, their assets get picked off by a flock of vultures at auction

alphadream doesn't have a whole lot to pluck though outside of TOMATO ADVENTURE

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Tag yourself

Kerrzhe posted:

oh hell yeah.

in response to feedback in the beta, Planet Zoo devs are introducing an offline version of the Franchise Mode (a mode where there's no story or scenarios, but you are still limited by money, research, etc. as opposed to career or sandbox modes). it will still have the challenge of zoo management without having to deal with server issues or trying to buy overpriced animals off the market from other players.

this is very refreshing to hear in the age of always-online bullshit and devs that refuse to make big changes to their precious games.

Have the planet zoo devs mentioned anything about having a dinosaur expansion pack or is that probably just not gonna happen because of the jurassic park game they made?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Tag yourself

Have the planet zoo devs mentioned anything about having a dinosaur expansion pack or is that probably just not gonna happen because of the jurassic park game they made?

None, I'm Broque Monsieur!

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

FirstAidKite posted:

Tag yourself

not yet, since the game's not even out yet. but it would be pretty rad.

not being able to do it cause of that would be pretty sad.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

introducing the pants console

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Finally, a console I can gently caress

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pokemon: Let's Go Digital!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Roth posted:

A bunch of the posters who complain about a game being too anime are all too quick to tell you about the good anime they like that totally doesn't count.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

That's the dev kit version that we've already seen. Dev kits, especially of pre release consoles, are often weird or hideous. Them again, Spider-Man font...

I want to be excited for that star wars game but all of the locations and set pieces so far look bland and boring, as does the protagonist and the enemies...

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I hope they keep "SSD D R I V E" printed on the front of the release model because that's very funny.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember when people thought the switch was going to be an oblong circle with two thumbsticks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Trabant posted:

I assume you've played Heart of Darkness? It's from the same guy that designed Another World. Great game too.