Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm struggling in my transition from coal to anything else. What should I be aiming for? I'm about mid game?

Oil is pretty easy to get up and running. Video below also goes into mid-game hump getting steel. Throw in a couple of petrol generators and you have power for a very long time in most maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlzfMNGCb4E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Smiling Demon posted:

The key to how this works is the behaviour of the electrolyzer when covered by liquids < 70 kg.

How do you place fluid like that on top of the electrolyzers, as you had in your picture?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

snail posted:

How do you place fluid like that on top of the electrolyzers, as you had in your picture?

Temporary bottle emptiers. Most liquids that won't change state at electrolyzer temperatures will work, polluted water should be heavy enough to be on the bottom layer to prevent off gassing. Two different liquids are required to get them to stack while having mass < 70kg.

When constructing it the first thing I do is fill the basins with the heavier bottom liquid. If you click off of the selected liquid on the bottle emptier while it is emptying it will stop and drop the remaining liquid bottle on the ground. I try to put 30-40 kg tiles of each liquid down.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Sep 30, 2019

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

I'm struggling in my transition from coal to anything else. What should I be aiming for? I'm about mid game?

Natural gas. Have an explore for geysers, and once you have one build a long run of gas pipes and power wires for a pump. Use the ONI online calculator to figure out the average output of the geyser per second, and the number of gas generators it can support is that number divided by 90.

You'll also need to overbuild storage; at least equivalent to average output over eruption period - consumption of gas plants, divided by the length of the eruption period. Hitting that figure precisely will ensure your plants can run continuously, but assuming you've automated them to switch off when not needed you'll need a bit more storage to hold the resultant gas.

Storage can be in the form of actual gas storage tanks, or digging out a big enough space around the geyser itself. Geysers over pressure at 5kg/square, so you need a big enough space to hold your identified volume.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You can also make like, a gas room that contains both the reservoir, a pump that turns on if the reservoir empties, and a high pressure vent. That will get you 20 kg per tile of space in the room, plus the 10kg per tile of reservoir. I have my gas geyser prioritize going straight to the power plants, but if that's at capacity, it goes to such a gas room right right next to my gas grill, and it will output back to the the natural gas generator when the geyser isn't pumping.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

You can also make like, a gas room that contains both the reservoir, a pump that turns on if the reservoir empties, and a high pressure vent. That will get you 20 kg per tile of space in the room, plus the 10kg per tile of reservoir. I have my gas geyser prioritize going straight to the power plants, but if that's at capacity, it goes to such a gas room right right next to my gas grill, and it will output back to the the natural gas generator when the geyser isn't pumping.

This is a great idea that I will steal.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Demon_Corsair posted:

How do you handle early-mid game cooling when you are on a map without wheeze worts? I have 40 cycles until my cool slush geyser starts up and I'm starting to run into heating issue.

I really shouldn't have started up distilling ethanol to power petroleum generators without already having cooling, but I managed to kill my hatches through neglect.

That's the biggest challenge on maps like Oasisse; you just kind of have to live with it for a while. What I did was live on a big hatch farm for food for a while as there's a gently caress ton of sand around. You can get some cooling by finding geysers that crap out cool stuff but there's limits to even that. On my last Oasisse run I lucked into an early wheezy from the printing pod that helped. Otherwise it's off to whatever is far enough into the territory of "not hot" to work on getting a few glossy dreckos going for plastic. From there you can use various shenanigans involving steam turbines to delete heat. In any event part of the challenge of the hot maps is the heat. You don't get the ice biome anywhere, there are no AETNs, and you only get wheezes either on lucky pod rolls or from space.

For that sort of situation keep your power away from your base as much as you can but also don't rely on power much. Hot maps kind of necessitate a slow start. Far as I can tell you always start with a hatch near the pod; it's very important to rush one of your first three dupes into ranching as quickly as possible, tame the thing, and then turn it into many hatches.

As an aside that's how I got carnivore. Just go all in on hatches. Keep them from getting crowded and have your dupes sweep their eggs away so they just keep crapping them out. Let the swept eggs hatch and then kill the babies. Piles and piles and piles of meat. 14 was easy to get going early and was more than enough, especially cooking it into barbecue.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Sep 30, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Is there a reasonable way to use conveyers for food? My dupes spend a lot of time carrying food from the sleet wheat farm to the fridge, the fridge to the grill, the grill to the fridge/great hall, etc. I can set the loader near the farm to load manually, but either the fridges have higher priority and they'll run to them instead, or the loader has lower priority, and they race to bring food back to it from the fridge over and over.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Use autosweepers.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Use autosweepers.
Don't dupes pick up the food automatically when they harvest? Am I wrong about that? I can redesign my farm a bit to accomodate them for sure. I also gotta figure out how to make them not get stick around on the rail, but that should be easier.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
No, that pick up priority is based on the fridge priority (or the sweep job priority if drag a sweep command). Harvest priority is set on the plant. Don’t have loaders set to manual use and they won’t interact with downstream storage priority (and loop the jobs forever).

Mazz fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 30, 2019

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

I’m sure there are more efficient ways to do it, but I use 3 sweepers and 2 conveyor lines. One sweeper grabs the harvested food, and ships it to the kitchen where sweeper 2 puts it in the “ingredients” fridge. I use door permissions to keep everyone but my cook out of this room so they don’t steal the food.
Sweeper 2 then grabs the cooked meals and loads them onto another rail to somewhere near the dining hall, where sweeper 3 loads it into the meal fridge.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Han Nehi posted:

I’m sure there are more efficient ways to do it, but I use 3 sweepers and 2 conveyor lines. One sweeper grabs the harvested food, and ships it to the kitchen where sweeper 2 puts it in the “ingredients” fridge. I use door permissions to keep everyone but my cook out of this room so they don’t steal the food.
Sweeper 2 then grabs the cooked meals and loads them onto another rail to somewhere near the dining hall, where sweeper 3 loads it into the meal fridge.

Have you considered telling your dupes not to eat the ingredients? That's what I do, and I don't have to mess with door permissions that way. My base might be less complex than yours though, and I'm just eating gristle berries.

Other than that I have the same basic system and it works great.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

nrook posted:

Have you considered telling your dupes not to eat the ingredients? That's what I do, and I don't have to mess with door permissions that way. My base might be less complex than yours though, and I'm just eating gristle berries.

Other than that I have the same basic system and it works great.

I ... didn't realize you could do that. :ughh:

Over 200 hours in this game and I still feel like a noob.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hahaha, I was going back and forth going "is it condescending to post this? But on the other hand this game's UI is confusing enough that this might actually help..."

Happy to help! I found turning meat off helped my performance too, because dupes stopped trying to jetpack around space and eat raw shove vole.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah I played the game for like 600 hours before I realized you could restrict what dupes ate at all. It's also handy for restricting new dupes with low morale needs to cheaper, shittier food and preventing your experienced dupes who demand the pinnacle of luxury for deciding that the meal lice is looking exceptionally tasty today then getting stressed because they ate meal lice.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Also devices like hydroponic farms will have a button for emptying out whatever fluid is inside if pwater gets into your bristle farm pipe or clean water into the pincha farm.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
There are a few tricks for kitchens that aren't immediately obvious:

1. You can store food in CO2, chlorine or a cold area to sterilize the same way a fridge does. Lets you lower the power requirements, and since CO2 and chlorine are heavier than oxygen you just build the door on top or a couple tile wall blocker and it'll stay in the space forever. This also applies to farms, so sealing your farm space up and pumping it full of CO2 has double use.

2. If you're overproducing food, you can disable harvest on the crops and they'll fall off the plant naturally after 3 cycles at "harvest ready". This should slow down the rate of food and save you dupe time harvesting. Note that this doesn't reduce the resource requirements, so you'll be supplying dirt/water/slime/etc to these "done" crops.

3. Plants that don't get water/dirt/whatever or are sitting at harvest ready are essentially just paused, they don't lose any % of the growth cycle their currently in.

4. Seeds weigh nothing, so you can set autosweepers to pick those up and send them to a storage in your kitchen with the food. You can hold millions of seeds in a single 20t storage container, makes your farms look a lot neater.

5. You can do the food math yourself or just use this: https://oni-assistant.com/tools/foodcalculator. Either way figure out the amount of crops you actually need to grow for your number of dupes. Its worthwhile in terms of wasted resources and dupe time.

6. You can also store unwanted eggs in that same container in your kitchen, and they will crack open to raw egg when they hit 0% viability. Keep an automated (disabled) incubator for every egg type you want to keep a stock of, put the rest in that storage and you won't need a manual egg cracker. Eggs in incubators only have buffed growth rates after the dupe interaction to "lullaby" them, so if you set to 0% with a clock sensor they hatch normally but in a controlled fashion, with 0 power draw. They only lose viability when in storage or a really unpleasant environment.

7. Dupes will drop food on the ground after eating in your hall if they pass their kcal amount, so sweepers in the dining hall can help clean this up. You can solve a couple related things at once with a design like this:

Dupes are forced through the kitchen (and hand cleaners) to reach the dining hall, passing by the food storage on their way. This is done by door access controls on the dining hall so they can only move to the right, not left. At a set time in the morning, the clock sensor opens all the doors for .5% of a cycle and drops the food back into the kitchen, where its swept and dumped back into the storage area which is a small CO2 trap thanks to tile wall.

8. The mod to suppress notifications is a 100% must have for kitchens, you can just set everything you plan on cooking to infinite and you won't have 9 notifications about it. I've slowly worked my way up to providing everything high level that doesn't involve sleet wheat, and I'm tempted to add it with how much dirt I have. Need more dupes first though.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 1, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Here is another pro tip for food:

Rust deoxydizers do not produce hydrogen. As such, if you turn off all your electrolyzers and replace them with rust deoxydizers, your AETN will stop working and all your farms will overheat.

I am a genius.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Nah, you're a genius. Instead of having a grill, you can just let the environment cook your food while on the vine. :downs:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have a hatch farm (soon to be upgraded to shovel vole farm) and have a sweeper that scoops up eggs and dumps them into a one tile drowning chamber surrounded by incubators. Eggs get dumped into the water and a lucky few are re-sweeped to replenish losses from age. From there, meat gets sweeped directly into the kitchen.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

nrook posted:

Here is another pro tip for food:

Rust deoxydizers do not produce hydrogen. As such, if you turn off all your electrolyzers and replace them with rust deoxydizers, your AETN will stop working and all your farms will overheat.

I am a genius.

On the subject of pro tips,definitely have a single very large pipe with a complex system of valves running your entire cooling system, as it will in no way grind to a halt when valves open and close on a regular basis..

I am about to replace it with perhaps the largest heat exchanger the world has ever seen.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Bhodi posted:

I have a hatch farm (soon to be upgraded to shovel vole farm) and have a sweeper that scoops up eggs and dumps them into a one tile drowning chamber surrounded by incubators. Eggs get dumped into the water and a lucky few are re-sweeped to replenish losses from age. From there, meat gets sweeped directly into the kitchen.

Dumb question, if the sweeper moves the eggs, wouldn't that be into a storage container? How to you automatically dump them out of the bin so they hatch?

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
Autosweep into a loader, then conveyer rail to a chute that drops the eggs off.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A food trick I use, which is especially useful early on, is have 2 fridges, one at 6 priority and one at 5. Wire the 6 priority fridge to your bristle berry lights through a not gate, berries that lose light also stop eating water. That way when fridge 6 is full, your crops just fully stop eating all resources and stop growing automatically and if you have any overflow it goes into fridge/box 5 so it doesn't spoil. Just make sure fridge/box 5 is closer to your dupes when they go eat so they don't eat out of 6 first.

Aethernet posted:

On the subject of pro tips,definitely have a single very large pipe with a complex system of valves running your entire cooling system, as it will in no way grind to a halt when valves open and close on a regular basis..

I am about to replace it with perhaps the largest heat exchanger the world has ever seen.

the best/quickest heat exchanger is a vent+pump combo if you use the same fluid on both sides. :v:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah I just cut my farm size in half - no need to waste space storing all of it. I'm definitely storing it in CO2, power for 5m kcals worth of refrigerators would have burned through my coal like crazy. Love the row of door trick - can you really just build stuff on top of closed doors or is that a mod? Also I had no clue i could put conveyer loaders sideways or upside-down, that's pretty handy.

Pretty surprised you're not doing pepper bread, that's all my dupes eat at this point. I wish I could tell them to make exactly enough frost buns for the mushrooms I already have. Sustainable dirt is problem but a far away one, I'm working on setting up ethanol now, hopefully that will produce plenty of dirt, even if it requires dupe labor in the compost heap.

That calculator is helpful....and I'm confused. The numbers all add up for why it'd take 30 plants to support 12 dupes, but my numbers go up and up and up. I guess I'm still harvesting a few wild ones, but one influx every 72 cycles doesn't quite add up. I don't let them eat anything worse, though I'm also stockpiling surf and turf as backup. (I'd happily do a few burgers if I could set the kitchen to make only as many frost buns as a few wild lettuce plants can support.) I was fertilizing them for a long time, I guess that was doing it, but I'm out of fertilizer.

Can I combine the "no water pauses them" with "they'll auto drop after 4 cycles" fact? Will they still drop if they're not fed? I guess it'd be hard to do with them not staying in sync.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I do wish the game gave me more information on inflows and outflows of goods, so I could answer questions like "how much sand do my deodorizers use each day on average" and "how much of my sleet wheat production is farmed vs picked up from wild plants?

Richard Cabeza
Mar 1, 2005

What a dickhead...
I had the best experience. I started a throw away colony because I just wanted to do something simple. My starting three are digging and tiling so I look away at the plants, trying to figure the best place for a nature reserve. I run at full speed because the dupes are slow at first.

Alert happens, some dumbass got entombed and is suffocating. I dig and deconstruct to free him. Nobody is coming.

I up the priority to 9. Nobody’s coming. YELLOW ALERT!! Nobody’s coming. I can’t find the other 2 duplicants.

All three of those morons got entombed at the same time. Failed colony, cycle 2.

I love this game.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Yeah I just cut my farm size in half - no need to waste space storing all of it. I'm definitely storing it in CO2, power for 5m kcals worth of refrigerators would have burned through my coal like crazy. Love the row of door trick - can you really just build stuff on top of closed doors or is that a mod? Also I had no clue i could put conveyer loaders sideways or upside-down, that's pretty handy.

Pretty surprised you're not doing pepper bread, that's all my dupes eat at this point. I wish I could tell them to make exactly enough frost buns for the mushrooms I already have. Sustainable dirt is problem but a far away one, I'm working on setting up ethanol now, hopefully that will produce plenty of dirt, even if it requires dupe labor in the compost heap.

That calculator is helpful....and I'm confused. The numbers all add up for why it'd take 30 plants to support 12 dupes, but my numbers go up and up and up. I guess I'm still harvesting a few wild ones, but one influx every 72 cycles doesn't quite add up. I don't let them eat anything worse, though I'm also stockpiling surf and turf as backup. (I'd happily do a few burgers if I could set the kitchen to make only as many frost buns as a few wild lettuce plants can support.) I was fertilizing them for a long time, I guess that was doing it, but I'm out of fertilizer.

Can I combine the "no water pauses them" with "they'll auto drop after 4 cycles" fact? Will they still drop if they're not fed? I guess it'd be hard to do with them not staying in sync.

I don’t normally like sleet wheat because I don’t care to chill water for it; frankly you can feed everyone fried mushrooms and still put them in rocket training if your rooms and decor application are well done. Now that lettuce and mushroom wraps exist I see even less point. That being said, I’m making all other high tier food so I might as well add some sleet wheat to the mix. On that note they need to add a higher tier food that uses omelettes as a input like they did with BBQ.

Fertilizer while useful, is almost always unnecessary. It doubles the growth rate of crops in farming station rooms, which is therefore also half the material input per harvest. That being said, there’s very very few situations where fertilizer is easier to come by then dirt or water or slime, especially now with ethanol’s distilling dirt output. You were very likely overproducing since Sleet Wheat has a very long growth cycle and halving it adds quite a lot of output. Check that you aren’t also converting eggs to omelettes, and know that kcal is often much higher than the equal weight of food. You’ll get 3600 kcal available from one drop of hatch meat, and excluding that from the dupes options doesn’t remove it from the kcal counter.

You could do something like that w/ water and harvest ready, but there will be no good way to automate I can think of. You’d have to turn the pump off manually (clock sensor or something), and it’s really unlikely you can get all plants on the exact same cycle for any consistent period of time. The better automation idea is probably the dual fridge controlling the pump or the farm loader thing Truga mentioned.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 2, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The absolute highest tier food needs sleet wheat. That can come in handy if you want to train your dupes in All The Skills.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The absolute highest tier food needs sleet wheat. That can come in handy if you want to train your dupes in All The Skills.

That's debatable for 2 reasons:

1. You really don't need everyone to be a doctor, or a cook, or an artist. In fact it makes more sense to have a couple dedicated people doing those 3 jobs because they are so sporadic that concentrating skill is worthwhile. You could honestly skip doctoring entirely, I don’t think I’ve ever used anything but a med bed to treat injuries and thats pre-Atmos scalding burns.

Same with the extra 2 points in farming and ranching at tier 3, +2 skill points in either of those categories are absolutely not worth 3 morale unless the dupe has an interest in them. Hell if you don't have the ranching skill mod, ranching skill doesn't even do anything but slightly increase the rate at which dupes lullaby incubators.

2. By dumping some of those uneeded skills and focusing dupes on their morale interests, the +12 food like mushroom wraps/stuffed berries/surf and turf will be more than enough to keep morale maxed out via all the other sources. Frost burgers don't even provide anything over pepper bread/spicy tofu besides better kcal per unit, they are all +16 morale.

Here's my skill window for my 24 dupes and their morale inputs:

My max need is my soon-to-be 8 rocket navigators at 47 morale, everyone else is 44 or 45 when their skill trees are complete. Meanwhile my current morale spread bottoms out at 48 (barring the dupes who got trapped in jet suits somewhere dumb) and peaks at 62.

Side note: Learning still increases all skill gains, so it’s still extremely worthwhile to get everyone some points via interests and train them all in the entire research skill tree. Marie there at 17 is way above average as my primary researcher, everyone else is 7-13 IIRC. I’m still not entirely sure what the change to the skill tree design did other than make that more opaque.

EDIT: Frost burgers apply the soul food debuff (used to be BBQ) which is -2 athletics for a whopping 15% stress relief per cycle. There is zero reason to make frost burgers.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 2, 2019

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

Mazz posted:

Hell if you don't have the ranching skill mod, ranching skill doesn't even do anything but slightly increase the rate at which dupes lullaby incubators.

Does the ranching skill not do what the tooltip says: Increases groom effect duration?

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Faldoncow posted:

Does the ranching skill not do what the tooltip says: Increases groom effect duration?

As far as I know, it does. It can be hard to keep up with patch notes sometimes though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

My morale scores are a lot like those, but they're pretty inconsistent. (Okay, okay, I'm not swimming in enough dupe labor to sit and make table salt, and they never seem to actually dance, but that's it.) Randomly one or two will drop down to less than 30. I get it if it's the one installing microchips in the horrible-decor power room, even though I made a couple statues just for her, but it seems like randomly they just won't use the great hall, or won't get the nature reserve buff when they must have passed through the nature reserve to get outside their bedrooms. I've even seen one sleep on the floor randomly with her bed right upstairs. Sometimes they also just don't have their food morale - like surely they've eaten but there's no sign of it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I get the exhausted effect too; I think it's because I don't give my dupes enough break time to consistently get back in time to eat and poop before turning in early enough to recover their stamina. But they've all got massive amounts of morale, so clearly they're not that bothered about occasionally passing out.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Faldoncow posted:

Did they finally add that? I’ve been using the ranching skill mod so might not have noticed. For a very, very long time it did absolutely nothing.

My morale scores are a lot like those, but they're pretty inconsistent. (Okay, okay, I'm not swimming in enough dupe labor to sit and make table salt, and they never seem to actually dance, but that's it.) Randomly one or two will drop down to less than 30. I get it if it's the one installing microchips in the horrible-decor power room, even though I made a couple statues just for her, but it seems like randomly they just won't use the great hall, or won't get the nature reserve buff when they must have passed through the nature reserve to get outside their bedrooms. I've even seen one sleep on the floor randomly with her bed right upstairs. Sometimes they also just don't have their food morale - like surely they've eaten but there's no sign of it.

There’s a bunch of little things that will dip their morale; if they have well over 1000 kcal stored they may not eat that day and not get the morale buff, they can pass out from not reaching their bed for whatever dumb pathing reason, they can not dance or drink espresso, etc. Morale only matters to keep stress down, so if a dupe jumps up 40% for a day only to correct themselves and drop back to zero it’s whatever. You basically just need average morale to be above the needed morale; that’s why I settled everyone at 44-47, I can’t guarantee they’ll all always be at 52-54 so I leave a little buffer by dropping some skills I don’t need everyone doing.

Also in case I was a little overbearing about it, pepper bread and spicy tofu are great choices for that extra 4 morale if you want to make them. I only consider frost burgers bad because -2 athletics is poo poo.

FWIW I always keep a massage room around for when some dupe trapped themselves in a hell pit and spiked to like 90%. You can essentially remove stress effects from the game with a couple massage tables in the proper room.

I built a fully stocked hospital room this game just cause and it’s literally never been used so I think I’m going to tear it down and find something better to put there. A small handful of Med beds for emergencies Is more than enough.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Oct 2, 2019

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't think you were overbearing and in fact, if you think those 4 morale are more trouble than they're worth, I'm inclined to believe you. I do worry that I'll run into a resource constraints with sleet wheat, I'm at 14 dupes so 35 plants means I'll need 18 pips producing dirt in order to keep up with that, which is a lot of ranching time, or I'll need to actually set up an ethanol generator, which is a lot of compost flipping time.

I also never noticed that research skill increased skill learning speed - that seems important and I'd been specifically avoiding it because I finished the tech tree super early, save for space stuff, and deconstructed my research buildings. I've also been extremely conservative with skill points, leaving their morale requirements below 20 even while morale is often in the mid-50s, I'll crank that up a bit starting with research skill. Heck my cook even has the "no research" negative trait, but he's also pretty much full time so I think it's okay.

I've used my hospital once or twice when I got lazy about slimelung I guess? It's definitely wasting space in my base.

I'm thinking about turning off cooking omelettes - what do I even do with these? It feels wrong wasting all these raw eggs but I'd suffer if dupes ever actually ate them. Time to make a lumberjack breakfast mod that combines them with barbecue. I guess fish would be more convenient than me (is pacu farming in one tile of water an exploit? It feels like an exploit but drat if I didn't make a spot for them to flop into straight from the printing pod.)

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak
I still find it weird how they added a bunch of new medical buildings and medicines and whatnot, while simultaneously nerfing slimelung and disease so hard that none of the new stuff is remotely required.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Smiling Demon posted:

So, oxygen modules.

I had a standard design that I used, but was impractically complicated. 4 full pipes of oxygen, 24 gas shutoffs, 24 pipe element sensors, 12 gas pumps, 8 electrolyzers, and a maze of pipes and bridges that would make the brave weep. Starting a new map I didn't feel like building this monstrosity again. So I turned to the internet for a design I had heard about that doesn't require anything to perfectly separate oxygen and hydrogen.

I think it was called the hydra, though it doesn't really inspire the name. I would have gone with magic bubble if I was naming it.

The key to how this works is the behaviour of the electrolyzer when covered by liquids < 70 kg. It will try and output gas to the tile left of the top-left tile, then above the top-right. By covering the electroylzer with 2 liquids we can force gas to come out on those two tiles. If there is already gas in those tiles, hydrogen can only be placed on hydrogen tiles and oxygen on oxygen. By priming each side of the electroylzer with some gas you can ensure all gases go to their matching side. I put hydrogen on the bottom to demonstrate that. Under such a setup the electroylzers are never overpressure, even when the oxygen is at 500kg/tile.

So with this setup the gas just keeps on flowing, building up to ridiculous levels. 100% uptime guaranteed, just provide water and power. The hydrogen can be used to make it self powering. On the right side of the screen shot I have 5 electrolyzers feeding 8 pumps to create 4 full pipes of oxygen.

It would be smart to add pressure sensors so not to overproduce oxygen or in case of water loss pump out too much and create a vacuum. An almost identical setup works with rust deoxyidizers as well, minus the potential for self powering.

This is a pretty bizarre behavior, I had assumed electrolyzers would shut off like any number of other machines in a tiny bit of water. Is this a result of the same odd behavior that lets you over-pressurize vents?

Is there a decent klei forum thread going into it?

Side note, I was catching up on the thread and there was some discussion about over-pressure liquids busting walls. Assuming it's not PO2 (and maybe even then, I don't seem to have an issue with it in my current map), airflow tiles don't technically interact with liquid like a pressure front afaict. I usually use a fair sized tank that would bust normal tile walls in the mid game as a lazy water source and heat sump, and airflow tiles never break or seemingly outgas. The last time I did a sandbox test it worked well enough that a cube held the entire hour or so with like 10k kg/tile while I was fiddling with lava as a power source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Synnr posted:

This is a pretty bizarre behavior, I had assumed electrolyzers would shut off like any number of other machines in a tiny bit of water. Is this a result of the same odd behavior that lets you over-pressurize vents?

It is similar, but with more bizarre quirks. My design is vertically symmetric, but there are asymmetric versions and they don't work if you mirror them. I don't think I would have tested this design if I hadn't seen something similar done elsewhere first.

Synnr posted:

Is there a decent klei forum thread going into it?

Closest to decent would be https://forums.kleientertainment.com/forums/topic/109156-never-overpressurize-auto-sorting-electrolyzer/.

Synnr posted:

Side note, I was catching up on the thread and there was some discussion about over-pressure liquids busting walls. Assuming it's not PO2 (and maybe even then, I don't seem to have an issue with it in my current map), airflow tiles don't technically interact with liquid like a pressure front afaict. I usually use a fair sized tank that would bust normal tile walls in the mid game as a lazy water source and heat sump, and airflow tiles never break or seemingly outgas. The last time I did a sandbox test it worked well enough that a cube held the entire hour or so with like 10k kg/tile while I was fiddling with lava as a power source.

Airflow tiles, mechanical airlocks, and mechanized airlocks are all immune to pressure damage. Bunker tiles are not, but they don't burst until something like 100,000kg/tile. The next highest limit is in the 3000-5000kg/tile range, I haven't seen numbers since obsidian was upgraded in strength.

When I built a liquid compressor I made the walls out of locked mechanical airlocks. Unlike compressed gas, compressed liquid behaves very erratically so I tend to avoid it.