Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

i am harry posted:

There is a point in time when Lindsey stops openly opposing Trump and starts supporting him. I think this happens after Trump is inaugurated and feel like it started with games of golf but I also don’t remember it being a gradual change.

I'm pretty sure this was already posted in the thread, but:

https://twitter.com/donwinslow/status/1179138038464540674

It's rumor/hearsay but it's certainly plausible Trump has some dirt on Lindsey. I mean just look at him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

FuturePastNow posted:

It's rumor/hearsay but it's certainly plausible Trump has some dirt on Lindsey. I mean just look at him

There's obviously something, but could it really just be the "confirmed bachelor" thing? Seems pathetic

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
https://www.washingtonpost.com/immi...82d2_story.html

quote:

Acting homeland security chief frustrated and isolated — even as he delivers what Trump wants at the border

Nearly six months after taking over the Department of Homeland Security as acting secretary, Kevin McAleenan has guided the United States out of a crisis at the southern border, but he also says he has lost command of the public messaging from his department and lacks some of the authority he was promised when he took the job.

[...]

But he acknowledged that he is losing the battle to keep DHS, which he views as a neutral law enforcement agency, from being used as a powerful tool for a partisan immigration agenda.

“What I don’t have control over is the tone, the message, the public face and approach of the department in an increasingly polarized time,” he said in an interview with The Washington Post. “That’s uncomfortable, as the accountable, senior figure.”

McAleenan was referring to recent DHS appointees who won their jobs after advocating aggressively for the president on television: Mark Morgan, the acting head of CBP, and Ken Cuccinelli, the acting USCIS director, who is rumored as a potential replacement for McAleenan.

I’m shocked that trump isn’t keeping his promise to him, and its precious that he thinks DHS is a neutral law enforcement agency :allears:.

But he feels uncomfortable with him losing the messaging of his department while being the face of it, having his name forever associated with this, and also being a potential fall man. Someone should send him some thoughts and prayers.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

FuturePastNow posted:

Are you trying to say that gay people have a certain “look”? That’s homophobic and gross as gently caress.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Oracle posted:

If he's impeached and convicted he's no longer a head of state.

But the convicted part is the rub.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
The first time I ever saw Lindsay Graham was when he was guesting The Daily Show, playing pool and stressing the point what a crook Trump was and that he’d never vote for him.

I kind of wish that’d be mentioned every time he slurps up the big baby’s dogshit.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I better not sleep until 10am, this is gonna be good.

hellotoothpaste
Dec 21, 2006

I dare you to call it a perm again..

Boris Galerkin posted:

Are you trying to say that gay people have a certain “look”? That’s homophobic and gross as gently caress.

More likely implying how his behavior appears verifies there's some sort of dirt on him, that was my first read anyway.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I can see it being both dirt (because Republican) and him being a hypocritical, opportunistic asshat (because Republican).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BigglesSWE posted:

I can see it being both dirt (because Republican) and him being a hypocritical, opportunistic asshat (because Republican).

I'd also hazard a guess that John McCain dying really hosed him up too. Say what you will about either of them, but the one genuine thing about either of them was their friendship and grief has an incredibly transformative effect on people.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

What's so special/bulletproof about that white house server, and how do we know it's in fact so special? Why wouldn't they just force someone to delete it when it gets subpeonaed? This story is moving too fast for me.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Charlz Guybon posted:

Has the Donald been a Soviet KGB asset the whole time?

https://twitter.com/MelissaJPeltier/status/1179229095500173312

It is quite the coincidence how Russia keeps popping up in all these Trump scandals and how he keeps doing things that directly and indirectly benefit Russia even after barely surviving an investigation into whether he was conspiring with Russia during an election that was interfered with by Russia.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I mean I don’t know the specifics of that particular price of hardware, but I’ve worked with legally sensitive tracked information before, and I would imagine that it would be logged whoever deleted it in a way that is extremely hard to erase or alter. They can delete it. The person who does it is probably going to jail, because lol at expecting loyalty from the president.

But hey, he probably does have a few people truly blindly loyal to him who would do it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

What's so special/bulletproof about that white house server, and how do we know it's in fact so special? Why wouldn't they just force someone to delete it when it gets subpeonaed? This story is moving too fast for me.

It's the server used to store like ultra top secret intel on, stuff that's only accessible via special code word clearance and is usually reserved for intel like "aliens exist", or "Angola has developed FTL travel" or "here's the schematics for Grey Goo, DON'T LET ANYONE READ THIS!" and the like. If you wanted to store something on a system where functionally no one would ever see it again, that's where you put it, though it also has the double edge of being a storage system that you apparently can't erase data from exactly because of the high security and secrecy of the server.

So Donald Trump put evidence of all his crimes in the one place in the world where there would be a literal permanent record of them, barring a civilization-ending catastrophe.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ndrew_lawrence/status/1179145345294581760

no sound unfortunately
https://i.imgur.com/iy08JWj.mp4

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Lord Stimperor posted:

Basically, access to it requires multiple individuals with access, and a number of layers of accounting for who accesses what specific information with timestamps, and what they do with it. That accounting is stored in multiple other places, which also require multiple individuals to access, some of which are oversight groups. To actually wipe away any information, and any logging of it, you would basically need every aspect of government to be complicit in it. Which is also irrelevant, because records of the calls exist, full stop. Deleting the transcripts, would make the Ukraine stuff almost nothing in comparison. The only path they could then go down would be to say "They weren't on that server", in which case, the obvious follow up is to get them from the server they are on.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/shimonpro/status/1179243451138936832?s=21

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

I'd also hazard a guess that John McCain dying really hosed him up too. Say what you will about either of them, but the one genuine thing about either of them was their friendship and grief has an incredibly transformative effect on people.

While that may be true, Graham's ascent up Trump rear end happened extremely quickly almost a year before McCain's death (somewhere between August and October 2017). I suppose it was after McCain's diagnosis, but there's got to be something else to it or he would have at least waited until McCain couldn't see his fall.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I honestly doubt it's likely, but I suppose trump could dangle pardons out for whoever falls on that sword and deletes the transcripts

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I promise you trump has discussed that scenario though

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Aren't Pardons not applicable in cases of impeachment?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Zotix posted:

Somebody has to loving get the impeachment-conviction continuum as a background for this thread now.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

"Five foot three, he's too threatened to step foot on campus."

*Sarah McLachlan starts playing*
"For just $9.95 a day you can help Ben Shapiro get a pair of lifts so he can walk around. Please, he doesn't have much else going for him."

And while I want to feel reassured by the audit log and security measures of the NSC-admin'd server...working in IT, I just dunno. Too many instances of "welp, that just didn't happen the way it was supposed to" or "the backup schedule for this device fell behind." Government IT is generally in a weird Umberto Eco quantum state where it should be rigorous and bulletproof, but it's also precarious, obsolete, and lowest-bidder.

Not kidding--someone who makes government IT overhaul a platform plank would get serious attention from me on that alone.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zotix posted:

No, the pardons would still be good as long as he wrote them up before he was kicked out of office. You just can't use a pardon to clear the impeachment of an official.

Also just lol at anyone who is doing crimes with the understanding Donny is going to keep his word and issue that pardon now that you did what he wanted.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Slickdrac posted:

Basically, access to it requires multiple individuals with access, and a number of layers of accounting for who accesses what specific information with timestamps, and what they do with it. That accounting is stored in multiple other places, which also require multiple individuals to access, some of which are oversight groups. To actually wipe away any information, and any logging of it, you would basically need every aspect of government to be complicit in it. Which is also irrelevant, because records of the calls exist, full stop. Deleting the transcripts, would make the Ukraine stuff almost nothing in comparison. The only path they could then go down would be to say "They weren't on that server", in which case, the obvious follow up is to get them from the server they are on.

Seconding this.

Even in the private sector, backing up your poo poo is sacrosanct for survival. Data security is a bizarre nesting doll of encryption and backups nowadays.

You'll have data encrypted at rest on disk by disk services at the OS level, then sensitive data stored on that disk like PII is typically encrypted again by whatever application is managing that data, then finally the backup copy of the data is encrypted by the team managing the backups to audit access with the act of merely decrypting a chunk of data being a reportable event. And since the whole backup is encrypted at this level, multiple copies can be kept securely in geodistributed because you ain't guessing the key before the heat death of the universe.

If it sounds excessive, it's really not. Each layer defends against a specific type of attack and serves a purpose in ensuring that the people holding access to the data, either physically (like grabbing the drat computer and running out the door with it) or digitally (being hacked, malicious employee) are limited in the damage they deal and almost certainly can't get away with it without leaving a massive loving trail pointing back to them.

I'm not saying the government does stuff like this, God knows you probably don't want many copies of even encrypted versions of highly sensitive top secret code data.

But I am saying that even in the private sector there exist practical and cheap solutions to securing and backing up data, literally off-the-shelf stuff at this point. Most companies complying with their auditing requirements are using a system like that and might not even realize it.

So the odds are bad that the government is going to make this data disappear and not get caught without literally corrupting a whole shitload of people who manage these systems, know the data exists, know about the audit logs for said data exists... There's no way you can pull a cover-up on this one, the number of people you'd have to silence all the way up and down the chain of command would be in the hundreds at least.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
^-To clarify, the data itself is CERTAINLY not backed up across multiple systems, if it even is at all. Just the access log.

OAquinas posted:

And while I want to feel reassured by the audit log and security measures of the NSC-admin'd server...working in IT, I just dunno. Too many instances of "welp, that just didn't happen the way it was supposed to" or "the backup schedule for this device fell behind." Government IT is generally in a weird Umberto Eco quantum state where it should be rigorous and bulletproof, but it's also precarious, obsolete, and lowest-bidder.

Not kidding--someone who makes government IT overhaul a platform plank would get serious attention from me on that alone.

At absolute worst, the audit logs are validated against each other nightly for tampering, it's more likely to be every hour. There's obviously a failsafe of the data still being accessible in case it loses access to backing up the logging, but that is something that would be noticed on multiple systems if they just went and popped the cable out. The whole White House was brought up to date under Obama, so the systems aren't 30-40 years old anymore (or still connected via freaking coax). NSC type systems are kept up to date (or ahead of their time) far better than anything else. Somewhat amusingly, they'd have an easier time wiping it off that lower security system and removing any evidence it ever existed if they wanted to go that route. But again, the only concern at absolute worst would be the loss of the content of the transcript details, removing the transcript from existence in itself is far worse appearance and obvious to even the most disconnected person that it's a cover up of something major.

But yeah, any system outside of Intel/Security is just a mishmash of comically outdated systems.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

Slickdrac posted:

^-To clarify, the data itself is CERTAINLY not backed up across multiple systems, if it even is at all. Just the access log.

I can believe this. This is all Compliance really cares about.

Losing the customer data summons your boss, losing the audit logs summons the lawyers. Do not gently caress with Compliance. You will comply.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Get on the right side of the planet, nerd.

South Korea is cool and good

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

mod sassinator posted:

Here's the dirty secret no one wants to admit, America's constitution was an experiment. When you step back and forget all the history it's kind of dumb to think that a dozen rich white guys 200+ years ago somehow knew how to craft a governing system that would last for thousands of years and massive societal and technologic changes. It's almost flying spaghetti monster levels of absurdity, like some sacred 200 year old document is to be revered and worshipped without question.

But luckily those rich white guys realized that they couldn't account for every possible issue or scenario in the future. So they built in mechanisms to change the government, and over time the branches have evolved with amendments and important judicial decisions. And it's up to us to realize, is the government in its current state really working? If not, what can we do to change it?

this is why originalists are just so freaking stupid.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Charliegrs posted:

So like who the gently caress is this person? And it doesn't seem like they are sourcing anything at all? I never venture into the Twitter world but is this how it works? People just say unsourced poo poo and tons of dummies just eat it up? Id take this with a really big grain of salt.

Yes that's common. Welcome to the Internet News Era :shrug:

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

ManBoyChef posted:

this is why originalists are just so freaking stupid.

They don't have to be stupid. They can be politically biased, malicious, disingenuous authoritarian pieces of poo poo who abandoned the idea of serving practical jurisprudence ages ago for personal or ideological gain.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Charlz Guybon posted:

South Korea is cool and good

Heyo fellow SK goon!

Able to just sit back and lol at the tire fire my nation has become.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

J.A.B.C. posted:

Heyo fellow SK goon!

Able to just sit back and lol at the tire fire my nation has become.

Where you at?

I'm in Sejong?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

would be cool if this thread could go a day or two without saying that lindsey graham's support for trump is because he's gay and being blackmailed

like come the gently caress on, he's up for reelection this cycle in South Carolina, it's extremely loving obvious why he needs to be the guy that's 200% behind Trump right now. stop posting homophobic #resistance bullshit

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

eke out posted:

would be cool if this thread could go a day or two without saying that lindsey graham's support for trump is because he's gay and being blackmailed

like come the gently caress on, he's up for reelection this cycle in South Carolina, it's extremely loving obvious why he needs to be the guy that's 200% behind Trump right now. stop posting homophobic #resistance bullshit

There's a blue check mark guy who said he had a source on it, that's why people are talking about it again.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Charlz Guybon posted:

Where you at?

I'm in Sejong?

Pyeongtaek here. Military guy.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Let's just say that Trump actually successfully completely deleted all of the transcripts and all records of the transcripts and the deletions.

It's still highly probable that Ukraine has recordings of Trump's calls with Zelensky and Russia has recordings of the calls with Putin. That means we're nearly certain that foreign leaders have explosive kompromat on Trump that he will do anything to keep from being released. And even if they don't, they can just whisper into his ear that they do, and have the same effect for getting what they want.

The president is compromised, and everybody knows it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

mdemone posted:

There's a blue check mark guy who said he had a source on it, that's why people are talking about it again.

some rando author citing a source in "federal law enforcement" that told only him and no one else about the secret blackmail

come on

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/MartynMcL/status/1179333662044762124

https://mobile.twitter.com/MartynMcL/status/1179333860108185606

quote:

The investigation began after the committee received information that two entities — a trade association and a foreign government — booked a large quantity of rooms but only used a fraction of them, according to a person familiar with the allegation but isn't authorized to speak for the committee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Your President has always been compromised. I wouldn’t be surprised if various countries had decades worth of poo poo on him.