Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Rarity posted:

Can confirm that I am also Angepain, Miftan, Tesseraction and ronya.

I like to think that Rarity to ronya is a sliding scale of wrong opinions (sorry tess you voted leave).

This is my yearly birthday post for all thread posters. Happy birthday to all of you except the bad posters - you know who you are. (happy bday Ms a and solefald)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Lol @ BBC just going with a staged photo from the Tory party as their thumbnail image. Image doesn't even appear in the article

Steve2911 posted:

At least on first glance it looks like he's giving the finger.

At second glance he could be preparing to inject.

Pesmerga posted:

It’s an affectation. They’re pitching to the whole jaded, ‘just lol if you actually care about anything’ demographic, who like the idea of someone who just doesn’t put effort in, dresses scruffily with unkempt hair. The whole ‘wot a legend’ thing. It’s why he’s carefully cultivated a buffoon image. Occasionally though, you see it slip and the calculating and very easily riled Etonian shines through.

Unless you are Jeremy Corbyn. Then being genuinely less concerned with appearance is bad.

And also Happy Birthday October peeps especially for reminding me that I have numerous friends and family with birthdays this month!

Twitter appears to be down right now.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vitamin P posted:

Funny thing is, in that little row the only thing the tosspot said that actually hosed me off was a smug little 'yeah but we're gonna win' and he was totally right, since it was created my nans constituency had always been tory and the press were saying labour were gonna get btfo'd all over, the little oval office actually made me start doorknocking for labour. And then we got a 10,000 swing and against all odds took the constituency with a fresh new 5k majority.

That is a genuine, heartwarming story.

Is canvassing probably the most effective way to gain votes?

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Dredging up the end of the last page:

At the height of Ed Miliband's unpopularity he was still less unpopular than The Absolute Boy J.Corbz.

I like the bloke and everything he has done to transform the party. He is the reason I joined but he's media strategy has absolutely sucked and this has hurt him. Miliband, for all his centerist bullshit, at least could get his face on camera when he wanted/needed to. JC's point blank refusal to even think about playing the game has been frustrating. And before you dogpile, moat people here have talked about how much better McDonnell is at it. I will take the point that if JC wasn't the way he is then we wouldn't have the party we have now, but that has come at a cost.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

his media strategy of being endlessly slagged off by people who have a vested interest in not giving him the time of day?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't at all buy that Corbyn is bad at media. I think it's 100% the media is bad at being a thing that is capable of benefiting humanity and the whole thing should be shoveled into a big pit and set on fire.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
LOL I absolutely care about all this and I am furious and we are going to win because it matters!

This is my anti 2019internet stance :)

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

VideoGames posted:

LOL I absolutely care about all this and I am furious and we are going to win because it matters!

This is my anti 2019internet stance :)

Loving the new avatar and the positivity.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bessantj posted:

That is a genuine, heartwarming story.

Is canvassing probably the most effective way to gain votes?

Probably, yes. People are always more receptive to a friendly face than to a distant media, and just giving people a chance to let off steam about what annoys them can be amazingly effective. Labour always tie it up with GOTV drives too, because for every person you can flip from voting for another party there are probably 10 people who just don't vote at all.

Put it this way, I'm pretty much a stereotypical goon and even with that handicap I can normally get three of four people out of a hundred to at least *think* about voting Labour that hadn't previously (and hand out twice as many voter registration forms). When you can mobilise a membership as large as Labour have you have at least a chance of contacting every single voter in a constituency, those numbers add up really loving quickly.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Lol @ BBC just going with a staged photo from the Tory party as their thumbnail image. Image doesn't even appear in the article

Is he about to shoot up heroin

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...

squirrelzipper posted:

Hi. Canadian lurker poljunkie checking in. What’s the point at which Labour would have to think about changing leadership? Or is just a matter of enduring until the Torres immolate?

As has been pointed out before: anyone from the left other than Jeremy Corbyn would also be tarred and attacked by the press in exactly the same way. The person doesn't matter. The result would be the same.

If anything, Corbyn is the most friendly and consolatory option the Labour right could possibly hope for, and he has consistently been kind and forgiving of his political opponents - yet he is still portrayed by them as Turbo Stalin. This is basically the only argument for a Corbyn replacement - if you're gonna be called a bloodthirsty purging communist anyway, may as well let big John McD take the reins and gulag some fuckers out of the party and reshape it without compromise.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Probably, yes. People are always more receptive to a friendly face than to a distant media, and just giving people a chance to let off steam about what annoys them can be amazingly effective. Labour always tie it up with GOTV drives too, because for every person you can flip from voting for another party there are probably 10 people who just don't vote at all.

Put it this way, I'm pretty much a stereotypical goon and even with that handicap I can normally get three of four people out of a hundred to at least *think* about voting Labour that hadn't previously (and hand out twice as many voter registration forms). When you can mobilise a membership as large as Labour have you have at least a chance of contacting every single voter in a constituency, those numbers add up really loving quickly.

I've never done it but it does seem like Labour's best bet. Once their canvassing army is mobilised and can actually add some nuance to the media crap it'll probably go quite well for them. I'm in a very safe Labour seat though so I don't really see a lot of it round here.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

If you haven't ever done any door-to-door canvassing and campaign I'd definitely recommend it - it's way less scarier than I thought it would be. You'd be surprised how many people are open to being persuaded and a lot of people are just happy to have someone listening to their problems.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

It has very little relation to actual election results. Stop looking at polls, they're astrology for political weirdos.

Let's not forget that at about this point before the 2017 election those approval polls 'showed' that Theresa May was the most popular PM since 1945.

Then she crushed the saboteurs tried to speak to people and proved to be utterly useless. Johnson hasn't even got that head start and he's already loathed by not only large parts of the country but a lot of his own party and their supporters.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

bessantj posted:

I've never done it but it does seem like Labour's best bet. Once their canvassing army is mobilised and can actually add some nuance to the media crap it'll probably go quite well for them. I'm in a very safe Labour seat though so I don't really see a lot of it round here.

Your local CLP will be organising transport to a nearby target constituency for campaign days if they're any use. Otherwise in a safe Labour area you probably have a decent number of Momentum people who will be doing the same.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Necrothatcher posted:

If you haven't ever done any door-to-door canvassing and campaign I'd definitely recommend it - it's way less scarier than I thought it would be. You'd be surprised how many people are open to being persuaded and a lot of people are just happy to have someone listening to their problems.

Yeah I thoroughly enjoyed doorknocking with other motivated members. Oo er.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Friday seems like a good day to work from home

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Have we fallen through a time portal to circa April 2017 given all this "Corbyn is unelectable" concern trolling, or something?

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
C'mon guys, discussion (in the debate and discussion forum) isn't concern trolling.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Here's detail on the Irish border proposal when it comes to the all-island SPS (food and animal standards) that BoJo's team is proposing:

quote:

UK Brexit offer raises mad cow and GMO fears

The U.K.’s post-Brexit proposals for Northern Ireland would breach the single market, creating loopholes that could lead to the illegal import of genetically modified food and sick animals that pose a risk to food safety, say EU diplomats and officials.

In proposals submitted in recent days, London has told Brussels that a suggested “all-Ireland” food safety zone should allow Northern Ireland, like the rest of the U.K., to diverge from certain EU rules, for example regarding genetically modified organisms (GMOs) and animal welfare. But EU diplomats say London’s plans appear to be a clear sign that the British government is preparing to offer concessions to U.S. President Donald Trump under a future U.K.-U.S. trade deal.

This has sparked fears in Brussels of unfair competition and potentially dangerous imports of food and livestock into the EU market, such as cattle infected with mad cow disease, according to two senior EU diplomats and three other diplomats briefed on the British plans — something that the EU regards as unacceptable.

The plans were circulated in Brussels in advance of a Brexit proposal that Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to send to Brussels and outline during his speech to the Tory Party conference in Manchester on Wednesday.

In what Johnson will refer to in his speech as a “fair and reasonable compromise,” officials will present fresh legal texts for a new deal to replace key parts of the Withdrawal Agreement negotiated by Theresa May’s government. No. 10 officials say this would be a final offer to Brussels and are threatening not to negotiate further unless Brussels engages seriously with the offer.

Ditching the backstop

The U.K. has so far laid down key preliminary versions of its proposals in four confidential “non papers,” which London presented to the European Commission during the past two weeks. These are meant to sketch out alternative arrangements to replace the Irish backstop — the section in the Withdrawal Agreement negotiated by Theresa May’s government to avoid the need for a hard border.

Irish Deputy Prime Minister Simon Coveney rejected the British non-papers on Tuesday as a “non-starter,” and added: “Time the EU had a serious proposal from the UK government if a Brexit deal is to be achievable in October.”

EU diplomats, officials and politicians expressed serious concerns about the British plan — specified in two of the four non-papers — to only selectively follow EU food safety and animal welfare rules.

“The British offer is an impertinence. It is not seen as an offer, but as a provocation,” said Franziska Brantner, a German Green MP and member of the Bundestag’s European Affairs committee.

Brussels has two key concerns with the U.K. proposal on food and animal welfare rules, also known under the technical term SPS (sanitary and phyto-sanitary standards).

Firstly, diplomats and officials warn that the scheme represents “a step backwards” from previous U.K. proposals, which were orally presented earlier last month, and which left Brussels under the impression that the British idea of an “all-Ireland” SPS zone would mean that Northern Ireland remains aligned to all EU food safety rules.

That was seen in Brussels as an important and positive concession, because the EU has very strict SPS checks at its external border that function as a “gatekeeper” for imports of food and animals. Keeping the same rules in Northern Ireland is a way to avoid food safety checks at the Irish border, which would cause a significant disturbance to the all-Ireland economy.

However, the non-papers diverge from that plan. The U.K. wants to “pick and choose” which SPS rules Northern Ireland should follow and which ones it doesn’t, one EU official said. “They are proposing an ‘SPS zone’ but want to exclude the relevant GMO rules, animal welfare, as well as labelling [of ingredients of additives].”

That’s unacceptable for the EU, not only because of the disruptions it would cause to trade. Crucially, it would allow British and Northern Irish farmers to produce food with lower animal welfare standards — for example by putting more hens in a laying battery — and thereby gain “an unfair competitive advantage” over their EU counterparts, a senior EU diplomat said.

“There is a very legitimate concern that fair competition will be jeopardized,” said German MP Brantner.

Sam Lowe, a trade expert with the Centre for European Reform, said that the proposed derogation on GMOs and animal welfare standards could be “a pre-concession to the U.S. to show that we’re ready to play ball” on a future U.K.-U.S. trade deal.

“It’s something that the U.K. could potentially do early, to say, ‘Look, Trump, we’ve sped up the authorization of these GMO products’,” Lowe said.

American politicians like Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue have in the past urged Britain to diverge from the EU’s regulatory system post-Brexit and adopt U.S. food safety and animal welfare standards. Johnson himself said in July that he wants to “liberate the UK’s extraordinary bioscience sector from anti-genetic modification rules.”

Mad cow warning

The second strand of EU concerns relates to risks to the EU’s “gatekeeping” food security checks, which could spell far-reaching consequences for the bloc’s own market.

Because of the divergence on certain SPS rules, there would have to be food safety checks alongside customs inspections at the Irish border. The U.K. non-papers raise solutions such as “trusted traders” and “customs clearance sites,” EU diplomats said.

The U.K. papers further suggest that SPS checks for food coming from mainland Britain could be previously done there, in cooperation with EU authorities, before even crossing the Irish sea.

But EU diplomats said that system also entailed risks because food would be checked several days before it is shipped to Northern Ireland and crosses the Irish border, and custom authorities would have to simply trust exporters that the food at the border is exactly the same that was checked days before. Brussels insists that it is safest to keep customs and SPS checks at the same place.

All in all, there is virtually no guarantee that exporters will respect the rules, and smugglers could simply evade pre-checks and secretly transport a sick animal across the border.

That’s a horror scenario for the EU because a disease outbreak in the Republic of Ireland could jeopardize consumer confidence more widely and have a knock on effect for trade.

“There is a lot of agriculture, there is a lot of transport in this area. The reason why we have concerns is because of mad cow disease and what happened in the U.K. and Ireland,” said one EU official.

The EU’s Trade Commissioner-designate Phil Hogan told the European Parliament at his confirmation hearing on Monday that it was important that “no product comes into the European Union, except under the auspices of EU SPS system itself and regulations.”

The U.K. non-papers suggest that the way to address smuggling concerns is with strict criminal prosecution of offenses, but that has not reassured officials in Brussels.

The EU was not willing to accept a scenario “where offenders get punished months or years down the line, but the damage is done and potentially hundreds or thousands of our citizens have gotten sick,” one senior diplomat said.

Moreover, the EU is concerned that the potential uncontrolled import of sick animals could lead to far-reaching consequences for its own booming agri-food export business, because third countries like Japan could legally close their markets to EU exports based on food safety concerns.

A spokesperson for the U.K. government said that London still had to “present formal papers when we are ready,” but did not indicate that these solutions will differ much from what has been outlined in the non-papers.

“We have already shared four technical non-papers and all the main elements of our proposed solutions have already been discussed with the Commission,” the spokesperson said. “As you’d expect, we are not going to comment on the details of an ongoing negotiation.”

It's loving mad, can't work, and the Irish are right to throw it out the window.

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
It's fair to talk about the dunking Ed Milliband got - but it's also fair to point out that at his worst points he was much more porpular than Corbyn is now, and indeed more popular than Boris Johnson.

2017 was a great campaign - but 2017 won't be good enough now, Labour needs to (should be) in a position to win or at least be the largest party.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Junior G-man posted:

Here's detail on the Irish border proposal

Buffer zone covering Dublin, Wales, Southern England, London, Calais, and half of the Low Countries.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mediadave posted:

C'mon guys, discussion (in the debate and discussion forum) isn't concern trolling.

It is when everyone who does it refuses to engage with the point that the media's problem is the politics and not the person

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

mediadave posted:

It's fair to talk about the dunking Ed Milliband got - but it's also fair to point out that at his worst points he was much more porpular than Corbyn is now, and indeed more popular than Boris Johnson.

2017 was a great campaign - but 2017 won't be good enough now, Labour needs to (should be) in a position to win or at least be the largest party.

Chill out man, it's going to be fine. The Tories are going leak votes to the Brexit Party from leave voters and to the Lib Dems from remain voters and this will enormously benefit Labour. There are very few (possibly none?)* Labour/Lib Dem marginals, so if the LDs increase their share of the vote it disproportionately harms the Tories. I reckon a Labour majority of 30-40.

e: Leeds North West and Sheffield Hallam are the only two.

Necrothatcher fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Oct 2, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

mediadave posted:

Remember 2017 was really poorly managed, with half the party actively sabotaging the campaign and most of the rest trying to shore up support in places that were never under threat.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'd be more okay with it if some solutions were being offered. Say what you will about the left but usually we will discuss what should/can be done to make a situation better (it might actually make it worse) but there seems to be nothing approaching that when it comes to discussion on Corbyn.

There is no consideration for political reality, for policy or for nuance instead it devolves into "He needs to change" and when asked "well what does he need to change?" the best we get is a kind of "erm, support Brexit less?". There is never a point to it, it's all framed in the kind of weird psychological drama way that the papers love, but doesn't really resolve any of the problems.

I think it's also partially due to the fact that our media ecosystem is so utterly bad at actual communication and instead we just get weird things about how "He should resign" with no thought put into why. It's the primacy of action over reflection to be seen to be doing something rather than actually changing things.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

mediadave posted:

MediaDave, please remember that Ed Milliband did not receive even half of what Corbyn gets on a daily basis. Also the fact that Corbyn has Abbot and McDonnell by his side and that Milliband was not leader during the Brexit years.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Theresa May was the most popular PM ever

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

e: Leeds North West and Sheffield Hallam are the only two.

Leeds NW is incredibly studenty, and I don’t think they’re going to be forgiving the Lib Dems any time soon tbh

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Also that that the leader popularity ratings are created from polls by the same firms that massively inflate the Tory vote because they are being paid by the likes of the Mail to produce numbers they can sell papers with.

Polling in the UK is so completely flawed it's not worth paying attention to

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Desiderata posted:

As has been pointed out before: anyone from the left other than Jeremy Corbyn would also be tarred and attacked by the press in exactly the same way. The person doesn't matter. The result would be the same.

Any pair of boots you wear for several years of lots of walking in hard pavements _will_ become worn through. Some boots are better or worse at taking the punishment, but once holes show up, you have to replace them as soon as you can afford to. Because even worse new boots are still new boots.

Obviously Labour can’t afford a leadership change now, let alone a contest. But when the opportunity arises, it should be taken. And before the Bell cartoon of all the Tory leaders Corbyn has been in opposition to acquires too many more panels.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

radmonger posted:

Any pair of boots you wear for several years of lots of walking in hard pavements _will_ become worn through. Some boots are better or worse at taking the punishment, but once holes show up, you have to replace them as soon as you can afford to. Because even worse new boots are still new boots.

This analogy loving suuuuucks.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Imagine a worn boot, stamping on your face forever. It's Corbyn.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Imagine a worn boot, stamping on your face forever. It's Corbyn.

He points at you and smiles. "Nationalised."

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

radmonger posted:

Because even worse new boots are still new boots.

Because that's working out so well for the Tories and Lib Dems, you utter numpty.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Necrothatcher posted:

This analogy loving suuuuucks.

Seriously.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

if yougov says your boots have a hole in them, but comres says they don't, do your feet get wet? #philosophy

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jeremy Corbyn is a shoe, Boris Johnson is a cricket bat. If Labour want to become electable you have to replace the shoe with a dove. I don't make the rules. Jo Swinson is a Tory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Necrothatcher posted:

There are very few (possibly none?)* Labour/Lib Dem marginals, so if the LDs increase their share of the vote it disproportionately harms the Tories.

The number of Lib/Lab marginals is irrelevant. If Lab votes are poached more than Tory ones in Lab/Tory marginals we lose the seat just the same.

The graph of changing party support that's been posted a few times suggests that Lab votes have gone to the LDs much more than Tory ones have. If Johnson can unite the right with a Brexit campaign while idiot moderates vote LD, we are in trouble.

Of course none of this makes dumping a proven campaigning leader just before an election sensible.