Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Phanatic posted:

This one's got a real Klaus vibe to it:

https://www.facebook.com/commiebimbo/videos/10219163681859388/

(Sorry for the FB link, couldn't find it on Youtube. It's funny as hell though.)

RandomFerret posted:

Wow, the ducktales reboot is a lot darker than I thought

Someone really needs to dub the Ducktales theme song over this, because it would be perfect.

EDIT: Fuuuuuuuuck the dude in the truck almost made it out alive :(

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

https://i.imgur.com/cCs88Hg.mp4

schmug
May 20, 2007

See, you can lower a road

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

schmug posted:

See, you can lower a road

:golfclap:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Dang, that truck just barely didn't make it across. It looks like the two front wheels were actually across the break point.

Bad luck, friend.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I'm the guy who's view is blocked by the boat, hear's a big noise and just casually saunters around to see what the hell about and then as he rounds the boat :stare:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Dang, that truck just barely didn't make it across. It looks like the two front wheels were actually across the break point.

Bad luck, friend.

A quick google and the truck driver wasn't reported dead so he might of actually survived.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Dude wtf, this is a no wake zone

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I don't like the last page, but I'm not sure if I prefer this one. :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ArcMage posted:

Storing things to SSDs currently renders forensic data recovery essentially impossible without being suspicious in the least, however.
how so?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

It kind-of does, kind-of doesn’t at all.

When a SSD is erased, there is no residual left (unlike HDDs, hence why people overwrite data a number of times).

Unlike HDDs, though, SSDs will lie, and claim to have deleted data when it hasn’t, because deleting is an expensive operation. It will also do write leveling, which means that if you overwrite a file, the data is still on the SSD - it wrote the new data in a new place and marked the old for removal. HDDs do similar remapping of bad sectors, but this is much rarer.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
SSD's also have a limited amount of read/write operations they can do before the NAND life span runs out, so it makes sense from the perspective of engineering SSD's for longevity that you'd take advantage of free space and just mark old data for deletion instead of burning a write operation to erase it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

And when you erase a SSD, you don't want to just run DBAN on it like you would a hard drive, because filling it with crap over and over is unnecessary wear and might not actually overwrite every bit. Each SSD maker has a software package- Samsung Magician, Intel SSD Toolbox, OCZ Toolbox, etc. and these all have a secure erase ability that uses the SSD's firmware to make sure it's all destroyed.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

I'm the guy who's view is blocked by the boat, hear's a big noise and just casually saunters around to see what the hell about and then as he rounds the boat :stare:

chabuduo

*lifts shirt above belly*

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

FuturePastNow posted:

And when you erase a SSD, you don't want to just run DBAN on it like you would a hard drive, because filling it with crap over and over is unnecessary wear and might not actually overwrite every bit. Each SSD maker has a software package- Samsung Magician, Intel SSD Toolbox, OCZ Toolbox, etc. and these all have a secure erase ability that uses the SSD's firmware to make sure it's all destroyed.

There was a study of those drive utilities that showed the majority of them don’t work. Some of them did literally nothing.

e: not occupational safety, but choose your hiking partners carefully, I guess.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 1, 2019

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Was reminded of this.
http://mentalfloss.com/uk/travel/27027/the-missing-person-who-joined-her-own-search-party

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Excellent article-sitename synergy.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

THE FUTURE IS HERE AND EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DESTROYED.

Well, they aren't wrong.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Well, how else are you supposed to get hot water? Geez :rolleyes:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Icon Of Sin posted:

Well, how else are you supposed to get hot water? Geez :rolleyes:

What if I want ground water, though?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Blue Moonlight posted:

OSHA: THE FUTURE IS HERE AND EVERYTHING NEEDS TO BE DESTROYED.

We're trying, okay?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cthulu Carl posted:

If you want neutral water—and neutral is the same as ground, according to the guy who wired my domicile (:rolleyes:)—get Evian or Fiji water.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 2, 2019

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Platystemon posted:

If you want neutral water, which according to the guy who wired my domicile, is the same thing (:rolleyes:), get Evian or Fiji water.

Straight up, Fiji tastes like poo poo, it's hose water from some island mafia consortium.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Rainwater is acidic due to dissolving carbon dioxide on the way down, pH of about 5.5 .

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

If you want neutral water, which according to the guy who wired my domicile, is the same thing (:rolleyes:), get Evian or Fiji water.

Still better than neutral milk hotel.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Lazyhound posted:

There was a study of those drive utilities that showed the majority of them don’t work. Some of them did literally nothing.

guess it's back to the OSHA approved method of setting the drive on fire, then

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cthulu Carl posted:

Plug in a grinder, duh.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

The Lone Badger posted:

Rainwater is acidic due to dissolving carbon dioxide on the way down, pH of about 5.5 .

it's okay, we don't have to worry about acid rain getting worse because the number on the pH scale is going down.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
goin DOWN DOWN IN A LEULILURAH
SUGAR WE'RE GOING DOWN SWINGIN'

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Somebody tweeting about the tear gas in HK pointed out this article about the place that makes it.

quote:

Employees described aging equipment that caught fire and injuries and severe irritation caused by working long hours with chemicals. After one of its buildings burned down, the company declined to rebuild the facility, instead shifting more of the production into shipping containers.

Reminded me a little of the "decommissioning used fireworks in a cave" video.

johnnyratbastard
Nov 9, 2012

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tell that to these guys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujilmYgyUis

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

Somebody tweeting about the tear gas in HK pointed out this article about the place that makes it.

Reminded me a little of the "decommissioning used fireworks in a cave" video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rktMzw2fd28
Hawaii represent

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

This seems like a good idea. Chernobyl control room to open to public for first time.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I had somehow blocked out the part where they were just storing black powder loose in trash bags. How the CSB video refrained from asking, "Can you believe this poo poo?" is a testament to their professionalism.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Jet Jaguar posted:

I had somehow blocked out the part where they were just storing black powder loose in trash bags. How the CSB video refrained from asking, "Can you believe this poo poo?" is a testament to their professionalism.

I wonder if the static of the bags would be enough to potentially ignite the power, like in that video with the cotton rolls a few pages back.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The CSB conclusion was that there were so many ways this could have exploded that it was fruitless trying to figure out which one specifically was the one that happened.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Uthor posted:

Really? That's like hard drive decommission 101.

I mean, if you get ordered to hand your data over and then, oh no, it's gone! That's kinda destruction of evidence. But, I wouldn't think "I am throwing away an old hard drive and wanna get my personal information off" as suspicious.

Yeah, if you're supposed to be destroying data then it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text