Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Hardcore, man. I only dive wet, so I usually pack it in around mid November, picking back up in early May.

Do you dive Cape Ann?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Squashy Nipples posted:

Hardcore, man. I only dive wet, so I usually pack it in around mid November, picking back up in early May.

Do you dive Cape Ann?

I'm a poor grad student, so I've been diving wet too - but because I'm a pretty big guy and most grad students in marine biology these days are women, I tend to have an advantage in the sense of "they're smaller and have a higher surface area to volume ratio, so will be cold enough to end the dive before my blubbery self is going to die." A lot of our work is actually up at Nubble Light in Maine. There must be more science done per rock at Nubble than anywhere else in the Gulf of Maine at this point.

Edit to add clarification: this isn't me throwing shade on the women I work with, because they're all badasses and very good at what they do. I just have more natural insulation on my body than they do.

Timmy Age 6 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 30, 2019

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
You cold divers disgust me. Water temps here in Koh Samui have dropped to 27C; it's too much for my delicate constitution.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Trivia posted:

You cold divers disgust me. Water temps here in Koh Samui have dropped to 27C; it's too much for my delicate constitution.

Cold water solidarity forever.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
Yesterday we had a harbor seal follow us throughout a night dive, it got brave at one point and hung out within 10 ft for a few minutes :3:

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Electoral Surgery posted:

Yesterday we had a harbor seal follow us throughout a night dive, it got brave at one point and hung out within 10 ft for a few minutes :3:

They're so cute :-)

Every one and a while you get a super forward one. This is from my best harbor seal encounter ever

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Can anyone in Florida comment on the visibility in the Juno area? I will be in town for work and have some time to get in a few dives.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Timmy Age 6 posted:

I just have more natural insulation on my body than they do.

I'm a loving walrus, I have plentiful blubber.

Trivia posted:

How skinny are you?

On vacation in blue carribean water, I always dive without a wetsuit. At 78F degrees and above, just board shorts and rash guard on top. And yet I see skinny people getting out of that same water and shivering. Blows my mind.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've got a pinhole in the wing of my Scubapro Knighthawk, dealer wouldn't touch it, says I have to fix it myself.

What is the best glue and patch to use?

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I'm 77 kg at 172 cm. I am not skinny by any means.

I just don't like the cold. I'm actually going to buy a new 3mm wetsuit soon. The one I have has giant holes and is literally falling apart.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Squashy Nipples posted:

I'm a loving walrus, I have plentiful blubber.

How skinny are you?

On vacation in blue carribean water, I always dive without a wetsuit. At 78F degrees and above, just board shorts and rash guard on top. And yet I see skinny people getting out of that same water and shivering. Blows my mind.

Some say "dad bod," I say "dive bod." It's a useful adaptation!

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I am 55 and my wife 42 we are fit, exercise regularly, and live in a cold state. We get cold in the Caribbean and the Atlantic. Maybe it’s just old people problems.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Ropes4u posted:

I am 55 and my wife 42 we are fit, exercise regularly, and live in a cold state. We get cold in the Caribbean and the Atlantic. Maybe it’s just old people problems.

Meh.

I'm in my thirties and not tiny, but I wear a full 3mm wetsuit in the tropics because I get cold after an hour or so even in warmer water.

Below 21C or so I'll be in a drysuit.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Booked a 9-day trip to Bonaire! So psyched, and really need a vacation. 6 days of diving, 2 days of donkeys and hiking.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Booked a 9-day trip to Bonaire! So psyched, and really need a vacation. 6 days of diving, 2 days of donkeys and hiking.

We always make time for a trip through the park, it’s a nice way to relax from the constant diving.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Ropes4u posted:

We always make time for a trip through the park, it’s a nice way to relax from the constant diving.

We're from New England, and my wife dives for work in the summer. In a harbor that's max 15' deep, polluted from Nitrogen runoff, and mostly she's counting eelgrass blades and taking sediment cores: AKA weighted 10# heavy and being really bored/tired/sick of being wet in scum-filled water. She's gonna love it.

Donkeys and desert hiking sound like a solid break from all the stress of beautiful, self-led, low-key diving.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

Can anyone in Florida comment on the visibility in the Juno area? I will be in town for work and have some time to get in a few dives.

I live in Jupiter and am not diving for at least another month here. You’ll have big currents (normal) and all kinds of Dorian sediment still in play (not normal).

Go to the square grouper instead.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

let it mellow posted:

I live in Jupiter and am not diving for at least another month here. You’ll have big currents (normal) and all kinds of Dorian sediment still in play (not normal).

Go to the square grouper instead.

Thank you. It was the sediment we were worried about. We may bring our gear just Incase it clears up.

We have firm plans for the food shack and the reef grill.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I've got a pinhole in the wing of my Scubapro Knighthawk, dealer wouldn't touch it, says I have to fix it myself.

What is the best glue and patch to use?

Aquaseal + Cotol..if it's TINY TINY...otherwise you might have to find a patch material.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

lord1234 posted:

Aquaseal + Cotol..if it's TINY TINY...otherwise you might have to find a patch material.

It IS tiny, but I want to patch over it for protection, anyway.

Thanks.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

If it's tiny just aquaseal is fine. It'll be mostly cured overnight if it's a small layer. I prefer not to mess with cotol.

Edit: I was responding to the previous comment. There's nothing wrong with a patch.

I'm just too lazy :effort:

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 3, 2019

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ropes4u posted:

Thank you. It was the sediment we were worried about. We may bring our gear just Incase it clears up.

We have firm plans for the food shack and the reef grill.

Both are excellent calls! Double Roads is a good time too, depending on who’s playing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I'm back! 16 dives, 14.6hrs underwater, new friends made, and plenty of pics :) Sorry that I missed you guys down there, maybe better luck next time :)

Icon Of Sin posted:

More pics from Bonaire!

Potentially my best selfie so far:

Turtle-friend, from before:

Another green sea turtle-friend:

I think this is a speckled (or spotted?) moray:

Maze coral:

An inverted filefish, scraping coral for food:

The next 3 are a set. They're all from inside/near a shipwreck called the Hilma Hooker, on the south end of the island. The ship itself is rolled over hard on its port side. It was a drug boat that was impounded by the local government, then it rusted to the point of being too much to restore, then they sank it as an artificial reef (so the story goes).

The corridor I'm in right here, the right hand side was the deck when this ship was upright.

This is looking up (now) but this hallway used to connect the hallway in the previous pic to the hallway next to it. I think this was the ship's bridge, or at least that area?

Looking at the prop/rudder.

I think this is some kind of glassy sponge, but I'm mostly clueless when it comes to invertebrate life underwater.

A french angelfish, giving some mean side-eye:

A deer A foureye butterflyfish acting like a deer caught in the headlights:

This coral enchanted me for some reason. I saw a ton of it, which made me happy too :) M. aliciae, which makes sense because the first dive site I noticed at is called "Alice in Wonderland" :v:

A porcupinefish (puffer relative). Probably between 1-1.5ft long.

This one is a honeycomb trunkfish. They always look so grumpy :3:

A smooth trunkfish. Apparently these guys are toxic to touch? Idk, I don't touch marine life if I can help it.

A stoplight parrotfish. Their intermediate phase is red with random white scales, then they turn into this:

This is a carribbean reef squid. I got inked at by one of these guys, then it decided it was curious and wanted to have a closer look at all these weird bubble breathers.

When you're out on a dive and something green bites your thigh...THAT'S A MORAY :suicide:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Trunk fish are hard to get good pictures of! I’ve been trying to get a good one for years, good work.

Glad you enjoyed Bonaire! Did you do something special?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I don't think we made it there. We were only getting about 3 dives in per day, some of my group didn't have a real sense of urgency about getting in the water. The dives I did do averaged almost an hour, despite dropping down to 100-110ft. Would definitely go back and go for more dives every day :)

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Making a trip down to the keys to dive in November. Need a dive buddy. Anybody going to be there? Any day before Thanksgiving week works, I need to kill some PTO time before the end of the year.

Same for the Blue Heron Bridge, I'd like to make a stop there along the way.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I live just north of key largo. What days are you planning on? I’ve got a 3-day weekend on Veterans Day, and can make that trip almost at-will.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Icon Of Sin posted:

I live just north of key largo. What days are you planning on? I’ve got a 3-day weekend on Veterans Day, and can make that trip almost at-will.

Awesome, something that weekend could work for me. What's your favorite area to dive in the keys? I've been kind of interested in the middle keys - I've snorkeled at Pennekamp a lot already.

Full disclosure, I am a new diver. Though I've been told I look confident in the water!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I need to do that dive, but the timing may not work.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Key Largo folks, how is the Spiegel Grove holding up these days? I dove it just weeks before it got blown right-side-up and I haven't made it back yet but I really want to.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I was there in May. I'd say the old girl is doing pretty well :unsmith:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Coooooooool. Lookin' good! When I was there you could still see mostly bare hull and paint! Thanks for sharing.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Awesome, something that weekend could work for me. What's your favorite area to dive in the keys? I've been kind of interested in the middle keys - I've snorkeled at Pennekamp a lot already.

Full disclosure, I am a new diver. Though I've been told I look confident in the water!

I’ve only ever gone out of Key Largo. There are a ton of shipwrecks and reefs available from there, though!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

For anyone visiting Key Largo/south FL: it'd be completely out of line for me to not tell you to clean your gear thoroughly before and after coming here. Stony coral tissue loss disease is present down here, and can annihilate centuries worth of coral in a span of weeks. It isn't exactly known what causes it, but we do know that an amoxicillin paste has positive effects on disease progression, if applied in time. I bathed my gear in lysol and let it soak for a few hours (mostly because I forgot about it in the tub :v: ) before going to Bonaire, where there are currently no reports of SCTLD (hopefully that holds). I did the same on the backside of the trip as well

Please don't import your diseases here, and don't take any of what we've got back with you. That applies both above and below water, in equal measure :v:

NOAA guide to disinfecting dive gear:

https://floridakeys.noaa.gov/coral-disease/citizen-participation.html

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

This isn't quite SCUBA, but since we're talking Keys, has anyone been to Ft. Jefferson to snorkel/freedive? It's pricey, but a friend of mine went and raved about it. Granted I'm not sure he'd ever seen a coral reef before. Is it in much better condition/different from say, Molasses Reef in Key Largo?

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

This isn't quite SCUBA, but since we're talking Keys, has anyone been to Ft. Jefferson to snorkel/freedive? It's pricey, but a friend of mine went and raved about it. Granted I'm not sure he'd ever seen a coral reef before. Is it in much better condition/different from say, Molasses Reef in Key Largo?

Oh holy hell yes. The Tortugas are way better. Turns out that having an intact ecosystem due to National Park protections makes a difference. I was lucky enough to get to do some research diving out there and it was incredible.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Icon Of Sin posted:

For anyone visiting Key Largo/south FL: it'd be completely out of line for me to not tell you to clean your gear thoroughly before and after coming here. Stony coral tissue loss disease is present down here, and can annihilate centuries worth of coral in a span of weeks. It isn't exactly known what causes it, but we do know that an amoxicillin paste has positive effects on disease progression, if applied in time. I bathed my gear in lysol and let it soak for a few hours (mostly because I forgot about it in the tub :v: ) before going to Bonaire, where there are currently no reports of SCTLD (hopefully that holds). I did the same on the backside of the trip as well

Please don't import your diseases here, and don't take any of what we've got back with you. That applies both above and below water, in equal measure :v:

NOAA guide to disinfecting dive gear:

https://floridakeys.noaa.gov/coral-disease/citizen-participation.html

:hmmyes:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Making a trip down to the keys to dive in November. Need a dive buddy. Anybody going to be there? Any day before Thanksgiving week works, I need to kill some PTO time before the end of the year.

I live in Jupiter. I’ll meet you for a weekend blue heron dive but it isn’t all that. We may go down to the keys thanksgiving week but that’s still tbd

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I don’t live in the keys but my wife and I have been going to the keys on random trips for over a decade before we moved to south Florida. Key west is actually the most variable for vis of the keys. Northern keys (Key Largo) are more consistent. Middle keys are great, but hands down the consistently best dive sites in the keys that we’ve found have been in big pine key (adolphus Busch) and looe key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seri
Sep 29, 2013
Went to a dive shop a few towns over to check out prices for the initial class and gear I'll need. Was told it's about 180 or so for the few gear items I need for the class, and then 300-400 for the PADI class itself. It won't be until March or so of next year so I'll have plenty of time to save up! I'm stoked.

It was suggested that I get on the PADI website and do the web training they have in preparation for the actual class.