Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Asimov posted:

A dwarf fortress fort where everyone was and individually controlled adventure-mode entity would be amazing. "Space Station 13" style scenario forts with dozens of real players doing things in real-time would be an interesting experiment but you'd need a pretty disciplined group to not just immediately burrow into hell, unleash magma, kill the elf caravan, or any matter of shenanigans.

I could envision some neat objectives that aren't as adversarial as SS13 though.
- Build a bridge across the river and loot the chest before the ice melts
- Work together to imprison a forgotten beast
- Craft and trade the most X of Y item to a traveling caravan before the time limit expires
- Meet an opposing fort in battle after 1 year or prep time, last team standing wins
- First group to drop 10,000,000 lbs of weight on a pressure plate lifts the door and gets the prize Expand this to liquids, items, force, corpses, etc.

It would be like a very intense old-school MUD with a time limit. You're controlling Urist in your stone masonry shop.
code:
Action?

Craft stone mug

Starting craft - stone mug, wait for completion

[waiting 5 ticks]
[waiting 4 ticks]
[waiting 3 ticks]
[waiting 2 ticks]
[waiting 1 tick] 
You have crafted a -=*Granite Mug*=-

Engrave Granite Floor {5 moons, image of cheese, image of screaming}

Starting engrave floor, wait for completion

[waiting 420 ticks]
[waiting 419 ticks]
[waiting 418 ticks]
[waiting 417 ticks]

35 ticks remaining...
34 ticks remaining...
33 ticks remaining...
[job interrupted]
[throwing tantrum]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

alright, so I've been watching Kruggsmash's Dwarf Fortress playthroughs, and they're absolutely fantastic for the most part. Great editing(30-40 hours of work put into each 30 minute episode, jesus christ), great artwork representation of the goings-on in the fortresses, great storytelling, great everything. But I'm rapidly approaching the end of what he's put out, are there any other DF youtube let's players who produce content of a similar quality?

:eyepop: :shittypop: :captainpop:

Holy poo poo, this is amazing and really underappreciated.

The mad lad actually managed to conquer the ocean itself as literal seasteading. :black101:

https://youtu.be/i21O-W4BmpA

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

The mad lad actually managed to conquer the ocean itself as literal seasteading. :black101:

This guy is awesome. Best Dwarf Fortress streamer since Captnduck!

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

That rules. I tried something similar 10 years ago (jesus christ what even is time) but didn't get super far before an update or something forced me to abandon it. It was such a good spot, too... I was using a nearby volcano to make artificial islands as land anchors.

https://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1774-towerlucid

Glad to see this dude way more successful. These production values are amazing.

Edit: oh my god it was 12 years ago what the gently caress

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
I want this to be done and out on Steam so badly so I can play it with a decent UI.

I now think there is a conspiracy where this, Hytale, and Terraria 1.4 will all come out on the same day in like 2024 and I will die trying to play them all in the first day.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

deathbagel posted:

This guy is awesome. Best Dwarf Fortress streamer since Captnduck!

Any recommendations for which Kruggsmash series as the best to watch since each "episode" is about 30 minutes and there's multiple series to get invested in?

The latest Adventure mode video was endearing with the Kobold and her pet beetle meeting an insane naked goblin woman, but there's no part 2 yet.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Any recommendations for which Kruggsmash series as the best to watch since each "episode" is about 30 minutes and there's multiple series to get invested in?

The latest Adventure mode video was endearing with the Kobold and her pet beetle meeting an insane naked goblin woman, but there's no part 2 yet.

Monsterhunter or Honeystoker w/ prelude are the two big epics.

Bastion of Beasts, Lizard Moon are 4-5 episode minis.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Monsterkiller is the one I started with and a good standalone. I've tried getting into his old huge multiseries but kept bouncing off.

But yeah, monsterkiller or honeystoker(watch prelude first) are your best bets. Bastion of beasts is really good for all the drawings of jabberers though

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

as for this week I suspect he's run into narrative hurdles since he's playing a mute kobold. :v:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

Monsterkiller is the one I started with and a good standalone. I've tried getting into his old huge multiseries but kept bouncing off.

But yeah, monsterkiller or honeystoker(watch prelude first) are your best bets. Bastion of beasts is really good for all the drawings of jabberers though

I'm not sure which one you mean by prelude. Do you mean the Waterkeeper seven episode short fort?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 4, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this playlist is where you want to start, Tales From the Eternal Realms.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Captain Invictus posted:

this playlist is where you want to start, Tales From the Eternal Realms.

Okay, that's the playlist I thought it was, thanks.

I haven't been this invested in a Dwarf Fortress saga since Headshoots and Boatmurdered. I can barely grasp the actual game itself, but I love the stories that emerge. This guy makes it a lot more accessible to comprehend what I'm looking at.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Most of his stuff doesn't intersect, however he has done a few successive or crossover forts. Largegate and Bastion of Beasts, for example. Occasionally he'll just do stuff within the existing world but in adventure mode or such. He's good at keeping things interesting though.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What's the most effective machinery you could hypothetically build to put down a besieging force in one blow? Alternatively, MAD devices to make everything blow up in a massive figurative mushroom cloud?

I like the "flood the world with lava" doomsday device from Boatmurdered. Maybe you could build a turbine that slams a group of goblins into a bloody pulp? Or a trap door that drops people into a chasm of lava?

E: Scratch the lava, just make a deep empty pit filled with all the bones of invaders, the insane, and other ne'er-do-wells that slowly accumulates over time. Just dump the new ones on top until they starve and eventually form another layer of bones.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Oct 4, 2019

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What's the most effective machinery you could hypothetically build to put down a besieging force in one blow? Alternatively, MAD devices to make everything blow up in a massive figurative mushroom cloud?

I like the "flood the world with lava" doomsday device from Boatmurdered. Maybe you could build a turbine that slams a group of goblins into a bloody pulp? Or a trap door that drops people into a chasm of lava?

A long, wide winding corridor long enough for the entire siege host. All walls are bridges that are pulled up connected to single master lever. siege goes in, lever gets pulled, siege ceases to be. 2 disclaimers: If siege container large enough creature to break a bridge it and everything ”under” the bridge survives. Also atomized enemies sometimes count as invisible corpses as bad thought is counted for So the corridor is eventually a zone of insanity.

Another way is to have said corridor underneath a large magma reservoir with strategic release points. This leaves Any iron gear behind which is a bonus but requires extensive drain system for reloading.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Yeah, massive collections of bridges or a big lava-flooding chamber are sort of the go-to 'this machine kills goblins' ultimate weapons. Fun and far less practical devices include minecart shotguns (which I believe have been nerfed), big pits (less reliable, and need to be kept out of sight of dwarves for sanity reasons), and crushers that rely on manufactured obsidian to drop a giant earthen hammer on invaders in a cave-in (good loving luck with this engineering challenge, it's mostly a matter of retaining your sanity/patience for a one-shot device with a reload that can potentially take weeks to complete). Mechanical trap corridors are also fairly effective and efficient, if not very flashy, and ineffective against trap-immune super monsters. For 'optimal' forts though you'd still have to deal with disposal efficiency/dwarven sanity problems.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Episode 2 of Tuco Junglejumps:

https://youtu.be/CNGdA95mScc

I find the adventures of a Kobold and her pet beetle to be really endearing since it focuses mainly on just one character and their escapades. The whole abandoned civilization thing is eerie, plus the giant encounter is equal parts tense and hilarious.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I used to do a vast pit covered in one tile wide retractable bridges spaced out so that the enemy army had to walk across all of them to get into the fort. I'd then just set an order to pull the lever (repeating) when the front of the siege reached the last bridge and drop the entire siege force down a 20 floor deep hole. Easiest way to dig the pit was to just hollow out all the floors below with dig orders and cause a collapse from the top to blast out all the floors.

The bottom of the hole was covered in another set of retractable bridges one floor from the bottom, these ones maximum sized, to lock in the miasma and also provide a cover if another siege showed up while I was still harvesting the goblinite out of the first siege.

Anyway, since the front of the siege usually passed over the last bridge before the lever got pulled, they'd stand there for a bit until the bridges were returned, and then go "Welp, we have lost 99% of our force. We should retreat through the deathtrap" and thus they ran out onto the newly restored bridges which promptly vanished. I was a very mean defender. I'd keep the lever in the dining room for the children to play murder the gobbo. :)

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Probably the only marginally cool things I've done in DF were the time I got really bored and spent an hour loving with a mooded dwarf to coerce them into making an adamantine ring that had the entire history of the world and probably several copies of every major historical figure engraved on it (when it was possible to use burrows to rather severely mess with artifact construction), and the time I sapped and collapsed an entire goblin tower (before it was made impossible to embark on an existing civ site). All of my traps have been hella lame. Even the times I've used webs on cage traps or knocking critters out to trap cage-trap-immune critters were entirely by accident.

I burnt a fort down once trying to use imps as a line of fortress defense, so that was at least amusing. Moral victory.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Couldn't you sap and collapse a tower in adventure mode?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Still watching Honeystoker. Got me to thinking: has anyone decked out a militia dwarf in all artifact high-quality armor and weaponry? Any epic tales of a single dwarf taking on an army of dwarves or forgotten beasts or whatnot?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Not all artifacts but I think Headshoots has you covered for adamantine-clad invincidwarfs, mainly because there was a bug (I think) in that version that removed the skill cap

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Maugrim posted:

Not all artifacts but I think Headshoots has you covered for adamantine-clad invincidwarfs, mainly because there was a bug (I think) in that version that removed the skill cap

Was it that one or Boatmurdered with the insane berserk Dwarven horror constantly on fire murdering everyone?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Was it that one or Boatmurdered with the insane berserk Dwarven horror constantly on fire murdering everyone?

That was Headshoots I think, yeah

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Maugrim posted:

That was Headshoots I think, yeah

That owned. Flooding the world with lava and genociding all of the elephants also owned.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

I remember reading that there was an issue with happiness. Like something along the lines of dwarves never forget bad events. Is this right?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

That was Sankis of Boatmurdered. His engravings got hosed up by magma and he started an inferno spiral with his blazing fists of artistic rage

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Holy poo poo, Boatmurdered is over ten years old now. :gonk: I'm so old.... :negative:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

a7m2 posted:

I remember reading that there was an issue with happiness. Like something along the lines of dwarves never forget bad events. Is this right?

Pretty much. I've got to the point where I run a destress or whatever it is in dfhack every now and again. Even Toady has admitted it's broken, so I don't feel too bad about it.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

I think dwarves remembering incidents have the exact same moodlet as when it originally occurred and not a diluted, lesser one

:iit:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Excelzior posted:

I think dwarves remembering incidents have the exact same moodlet as when it originally occurred and not a diluted, lesser one

:iit:

All dwarves have ptsd

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Recurring bad memories actually got nerfed a bit so they're not quite as bad as they used to be.

The remaining major problem is twofold: first, a lot of things that used to be totally harmless or even positive are now negative (these are dwarves, frankly, seeing your hated enemies get killed or the butcher making bacon should not traumatize them) and second, dwarven preferences and personality actually matter now, while still being completely impenetrable from a UI or usability perspective.

Some dwarves will get massive happy thoughts from certain behaviors (praying being the biggest one, typically, although exactly how strongly they respond to alcohol is another) and are relatively insensitive to certain negative stimuli. These dwarves will probably last forever barring a tantrum spiral that murders all of their friends and family, and possibly even then if they "banked" enough negative stress beforehand.

Other dwarves are atheist and get no benefit whatsoever from praying, are only moderately interested in alcohol, and/or are innately predisposed to depression, insanity, or stress. These dwarves will rapidly go into positive stress levels and inevitably go mad. A very pleasant, sheltered fortress will delay this process, but not actually prevent it. Sooner or later, they're done. The good news is that they're relatively easy to spot because their decline tends to happen pretty rapidly.

The worst part, however, is that some dwarves are just barely below the threshold of stabilizing, and will be happy, productive citizens of your fortress and even potentially max out on negative stress until things tip just a tiny bit -- and this is where the "negative memories" problem comes in, because once they've got that little bit of trauma in their system their stress levels start getting worse and, typically, never recover. And because they look almost identical to the cheerfully impervious dwarves, you can't spot them and send them off to a hillock quite as early.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 6, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Other dwarves are atheist and get no benefit whatsoever from praying, are only moderately interested in alcohol, and/or are innately predisposed to depression, insanity, or stress.
same, tbh

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i mean it's very relatable but it also means that by far the most optimal gameplay is to exile all the neurodivergent and mentally ill people, which ain't great :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i mean it's very relatable but it also means that by far the most optimal gameplay is to exile all the neurodivergent and mentally ill people, which ain't great :v:
"Sadbrains" seems like a cromulent fort name.

Is this not what the Consoler skill ought to be addressing?

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Looks like dragon ball super finally finished airing in the US. Here's hoping for more ASG.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sankis posted:

Looks like dragon ball super finally finished airing in the US. Here's hoping for more ASG.
Can a dwarf use the Destructo Disk to substitute for an axe?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Nessus posted:

Can a dwarf use the Destructo Disk to substitute for an axe?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Urist Berminast cancels Charge spirit bomb: interrupted by Frieza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

krillin's a good illustration of a normal-powered character exploiting the power of training Throwing :v: