Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Isn't Indiegogo also a shitbox company? Or am I thinking of something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

It's a company, so that checks out.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Zurui posted:

I mean, probably? But I don't remember any specific issues that have come to light, nor are they currently attempting to squash their employees unionizing to the best of my knowledge. So, at the moment, they seem like a viable first stop on a Kickstarter exodus.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Indiegogo is scam central. Like even more than Kickstarter. There's no reason to assume its business practices are any more ethical, and plenty of reasons to believe they're likely worse.

If there's a general boycott I'll likely stop crowdfunding entirely until it's called off.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Zurui posted:

It has even fewer checks and balances than Kickstarter. Lots of projects that get booted off KS for whatever reason end up there. Along with the projects that take your cash even of they don't fund. So that certainly doesn't give you a warm fuzzy feeling

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Sorry if this is shockingly dumb, but is there a reason not to skip Kickstarter and go directly to Backerkit?

Edit: if one were a creator who wanted to avoid KS.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

homullus posted:

Sorry if this is shockingly dumb, but is there a reason not to skip Kickstarter and go directly to Backerkit?

Edit: if one were a creator who wanted to avoid KS.
Backerkit doesn't (to my eye) have any infrastructure for running the crowdfunding part of a campaign on it, just for taking people's money in return for products you offer.

That means that even assuming they let you set up a Backerkit not connected to any existing crowdfunding process (which they might not), you'd have to get all the money for your production run from Backerkit sales, without any idea of how much your total sales are likely to be.

Kickstarter's useful because a) the stretch goal and limited time campaign thing give people a compelling reason to put down money for your product NOW, rather than waiting until/if it comes out and checking reviews, and b) the entire process acts like an interest gauge, which both acts as a safety valve against you overcommitting to a project nobody wants and helps give you a benchmark for what your total sales are likely to be.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
People know kickstarter, and they trust it as a platform. Also, roughly 50% of the backers most campaigns get come from your pre-campaign marketing, the other 50% come from randos browsing Kickstarter. If you go to another platform, that 2nd 50% is going to be mostly lost and if you aren't a company like CMON that probably shouldn't be using kickstarter anyway, that could kill your campaign. The trust issues can be a big deal as well, as I know several people that just won't back anything on Indiegogo. I will, but only if it's a foreign campaign from certain places since you can only run campaigns on Kickstarter through these countries: US, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the Netherlands, Denmark, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Germany, France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico, and Japan.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

For me the big thing with Indiegogo is that they don't do the Kickstarter thing where if you don't hit your target you get zero money.

Arguably, Kickstarter's setup creates an unwanted incentive to underestimate your budget so that you get an easier target to hit - but that's moderated by the fact that informed people can at least interrogate your budget and say "Can you really do it for that little?" (The fact that someone can pitch in $1 and then start appearing on your comments page asking awkward questions is arguably a feature and not a bug from this perspective.) With Indiegogo, even if a creator's acting 100% in good faith, you can end up in the nightmare scenario where they've got your money but they don't actually have enough funds to complete the project.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
That is a funding option for Indiegogo. As a creator, you can choose to only get funding if you hit goal (unless they've changed something in the past ~year).

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Yeah, Flexible Funding (the 'you get the money even if it doesn't hit the goal' version) has always been an option and ALWAYS been a red flag.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have backed a ton of stuff on kickstarter over the last several years, and I don't really have a ton of interest in switching platforms. Mostly because I have had good results with kickstarters and am naturally distrustful of other platforms.

I will certainly keep supporting cool creators that I have found through crowd funding, but I will just wait until retail for more stuff. I am still going to back the new Vincent Baker thing, but as soon as a boycott is called I am just going to be done forever I feel.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
what the union REALLY meant

https://twitter.com/ksr_united/status/1179445723429003264
https://twitter.com/ksr_united/status/1179445823664513027

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I thought that current law required employers to recognize a union once a majority of their employees voted it in?

Why are they asking for recognition?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
If they give you recognition you don't need the vote

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The vote involves a lot of procedural steps that employers can use to prevent the union from forming, methods to depress turnout and manipulate the employees voting, paperwork the employers can use to grind down enthusiasm and make forming the union tedious and annoying and drawn out, etc.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Now, i don't want to pre-judge, but just maybe this person is not the most stable of people

quote:

You're now on 2 of my social media networks, rear end in a top hat Kai Tave.

I will find you mother fucker. I will loving find you and I will loving burn you alive.

Also Kai Tave, take a bow, even though you didn't even seem to do anything more than being slightly persistent. Also I suggest reporting the threats to your local law enforcement.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Extremely not mad online. Is this the latest chud boardgame guy?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

LongDarkNight posted:

Extremely not mad online. Is this the latest chud boardgame guy?

Yeah he's now up to multiple death threats and claiming to have put a 'bounty' on Kai Tave. Now, I'm a Brit, so I can only go on our much stronger laws about threatening speech, but i'm pretty sure he's committed at least one crime by this point (depending on jurisdiction)?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/edtrice/conservatives-vs-liberals-board-game/comments

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hello, police? Have you ever heard of Gothic Chess? You neither, huh, okay. So anyway, there's this guy on the internet...

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Kai Tave, sincere congratulations on winding this dumb piece of poo poo up so badly.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Hello, police? Have you ever heard of Gothic Chess? You neither, huh, okay. So anyway, there's this guy on the internet...

I particularly liked the fake 'here is my proof of a plane ticket' which was a non-logged in internet search for plane tickets he hadn't even completed.

But, you know, he's still issuing threats, to at least report them to kickstarter and google suggests 18 U.S.C. § 875 as a pretty blatant thing he's doing, so reporting it might actually turn into something he deserves for being a bumptious threatening dick.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Kai Tave, sincere congratulations on winding this dumb piece of poo poo up so badly.

Echoing this Kai, gg friend

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Reported the mouth-foaming alt-right guy, please everyone reading do the same.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Remora posted:

Reported the mouth-foaming alt-right guy, please everyone reading do the same.

:emptyquote:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Kai Tave posted:

lmao you're gonna come home and find a weird chess board on your counter and while you're looking at it he'll appear behind you

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

I admit it: I read Chad "SIGMATA" Walker's latest project, RECLAIMER, where you live in a post-climate disaster crisis world and seek to stop the garbage richies from fleeing the world they ruined, and I thought "that's pretty cool"

But it's Chad "Redneck Revolution and the 3%ers are basically the same" so I'm very fuckin' leery that this dude is gonna deliver on the premise.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I mean, the game is literally ecofascism and the creator is a d-dev "centrist" who celebrates the idea that climate change will kill off large swaths of humanity because he knows it won't be him that will be dying of thirst.

But you do you.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

where does the ecofacism come in?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Side note, I encourage anyone interested in SIGMATA dude's leanings to check out his game Bombs and Balaclavas which is both free and pretty representative.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Ugh he's using the exact same system as Sigmata but with biotech and cybernetics and psychic powers instead of Signal powers. I don't dislike the system but it's just such a weird idea to bastardize Storyteller like that.

Also looking at the backstory and I hate it? Like I was under the impression that the characters were fighting against the impending tip of the planet becoming inhospitable, a near-future sort of scenario where things are just on the brink of total environmental collapse and cascading Anthropocene. It's actually in the 2100s (which, yeah, okay) and the environment has already been ravaged, but the melting ice caps has released a superbug that thrives in the new environment and kills quickly. The planet-looters are fleeing Earth not because it's increasingly inhospitable but because they're fleeing the bug.

If he wasn't a centrist dummy there would be no bug. The existence of the bug allows for some absolution of their actions, letting them be well-intentioned extremists fleeing a dangerous world. If he wanted to take a stance, he would just set it pre-tip and make the bad guys' actions be the bad actions dooming the world, nothing more or less. But he's a centrist dummy who, as a friend has succinctly put it, wants to make left-ish political games that are centered around violence because he's most comfortable modeling these things around the violence, so there has to be violence in contrived reasons.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Hostile V posted:

But he's a centrist dummy who, as a friend has succinctly put it, wants to make left-ish political games that are centered around violence because he's most comfortable modeling these things around the violence, so there has to be violence in contrived reasons.

But not too much violence, and not violence against the wrong kind of people. Wouldn't want to alienate rich people, white supremacists, fundies, or a Ben Garrison cartoon of leftists, would we?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Hostile V posted:

Ugh he's using the exact same system as Sigmata but with biotech and cybernetics and psychic powers instead of Signal powers. I don't dislike the system but it's just such a weird idea to bastardize Storyteller like that.

Also looking at the backstory and I hate it? Like I was under the impression that the characters were fighting against the impending tip of the planet becoming inhospitable, a near-future sort of scenario where things are just on the brink of total environmental collapse and cascading Anthropocene. It's actually in the 2100s (which, yeah, okay) and the environment has already been ravaged, but the melting ice caps has released a superbug that thrives in the new environment and kills quickly. The planet-looters are fleeing Earth not because it's increasingly inhospitable but because they're fleeing the bug.

If he wasn't a centrist dummy there would be no bug. The existence of the bug allows for some absolution of their actions, letting them be well-intentioned extremists fleeing a dangerous world. If he wanted to take a stance, he would just set it pre-tip and make the bad guys' actions be the bad actions dooming the world, nothing more or less. But he's a centrist dummy who, as a friend has succinctly put it, wants to make left-ish political games that are centered around violence because he's most comfortable modeling these things around the violence, so there has to be violence in contrived reasons.

This is all actually a really good point, yeah. The earliest pitch of the game basically made it sound like that the earth was in the process of being slowly dragged back from the brink but the Elon Musk Cabal was threatening to undo all your hard work out of pure selfishness, but instead it sounds like the earth is already hosed and there's an unstoppable superbug that acts like nerve gas flooding the planet so, uh.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I admit it: I read Chad "SIGMATA" Walker's latest project, RECLAIMER, where you live in a post-climate disaster crisis world and seek to stop the garbage richies from fleeing the world they ruined, and I thought "that's pretty cool"

But it's Chad "Redneck Revolution and the 3%ers are basically the same" so I'm very fuckin' leery that this dude is gonna deliver on the premise.

Well, the really weird thing are the pledge levels...

You can choose when pledging whether to give extra money to artists, editors or layout.

As in, you can (for some reason) vote to give more money to some people who worked on the project, but not others.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

oriongates posted:

Well, the really weird thing are the pledge levels...

You can choose when pledging whether to give extra money to artists, editors or layout.

As in, you can (for some reason) vote to give more money to some people who worked on the project, but not others.

lol why would you do this it's just asking for labor vs labor sentiments what the gently caress

The first such choice also has a typo:

Edit:

quote:

At this point, you might be thinking, "Wait, PDF only? No print run?"

Environmental RPG is environmental! Seriously, though, we're focusing exclusively on a PDF version of the game and hope to make it a delightful experience to use in conjunction with online playing tools like Roll20.net and others. 

The PDF itself will be in landscape orientation and also be available in EPUB. It will be designed in landscape dimensions and organized in 3 columns per page, fitting beautifully on your desktop or tablet screen.

I am highly skeptical of this approach.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 3, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

This is all actually a really good point, yeah. The earliest pitch of the game basically made it sound like that the earth was in the process of being slowly dragged back from the brink but the Elon Musk Cabal was threatening to undo all your hard work out of pure selfishness, but instead it sounds like the earth is already hosed and there's an unstoppable superbug that acts like nerve gas flooding the planet so, uh.

Ah! So I can just... drag them to Hell with me...? Yay?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Dawgstar posted:

Ah! So I can just... drag them to Hell with me...? Yay?
The goal is to either force them to abort the launches entirely by destroying infrastructure, denying them resources or turning their labor against them (which is going to be...difficult because the looters sure have created transhuman cyborg slaves to act as eternal workers) or, more interestingly, to force an early launch. You can choose to crab-bucket the hell out of them and theoretically rebuild the earth maybe, or to just make the looters gently caress off with incomplete coffers, half-full pantries and not enough life support. I won't lie, I find that to be the more narratively interesting of the choices, but at the end of the day it doesn't really have as satisfying of a feeling as "ha ha YOU DIE WITH ME!".

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
What a grotesque shitshow of a setup.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora
His game before Sigmata, Cryptomancer, was basically set up so that the PCs couldn't win and the endgame was always getting killed by the unstoppable big bads. Looks like he's returning to "laffo you're hosed" form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Oh Jesus, he was the guy behind Cryptomancer?