Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

CMD598 posted:

Bazookas are effective because they're loving huge, and heat weapons are effective because melting it is apparently more effective than breaking it.

They're both still proof positive that physical means can and are used to damage luna titanium all the time, and it's been true since the beginning. Just going "they're physical weapons, so they probably won't be able to damage luna titanium" is silly, because it happens regularly in Gundam in a variety of ways.

Warmachine posted:

I mean, with explosive weapons, yeah. You don't have to destroy the target, just concuss the pilot.

Honestly, Mikazuki would probably dig that theory of weapon design.

Gave him a mace with a rocket on the end; let him go to town on people MD Geist style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Gundam Battle Operations 2 is out now in NA

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

Gundam Battle Operations 2 is out now in NA

It's pretty fun so far, and really makes you feel like you're piloting a 60-ton vehicle that requires software macros to do anything.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

It reminds me a lot of those old PS2 Gundam games. Possibly because it looks like a PS2 game.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
went in expecting something more like a Vs game (or that one japan only 50v50 game) and came out feeling like its what if Zeonic Front had multiplayer.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

g-reco simul is up!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900186

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's pretty fun so far, and really makes you feel like you're piloting a 60-ton vehicle that requires software macros to do anything.

It definitely does, also don't get discouraged if you run into players with really strong stuff, as they decided to have the game share content and playerbases with the Japanese version, so yeah there will be people who have been playing since the game launched over there back last July

Gripweed posted:

It reminds me a lot of those old PS2 Gundam games. Possibly because it looks like a PS2 game.

I'd say it looks more like a mid tier HD Remaster of a PS3 era game, which in some ways it kinda is since Battle Operation 1 was a PS3 title and this game definitely reuses assets from that one

Also for anyone who hasn't grabbed it yet, as part of the US launch they're giving everyone ten free suits

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

extremely random but powerful thoughts: after playing untitled goose game and reading glory of losers at about the same time I realised there's probably a moment where zechs goes "howard give the tallgeese fluffy wings so it can be more goose-like" and that's why it has the wing zero wings in the first place

make the tallgeese honk is what i'm saying

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Merilan posted:

extremely random but powerful thoughts: after playing untitled goose game and reading glory of losers at about the same time I realised there's probably a moment where zechs goes "howard give the tallgeese fluffy wings so it can be more goose-like" and that's why it has the wing zero wings in the first place

make the tallgeese honk is what i'm saying

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

yesss

also someone linked another one to me, i'm so glad dreams came true:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

tsob posted:

Gave him a mace with a rocket on the end; let him go to town on people MD Geist style.

Mika would absolutely be a Reinhardt main.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW9sYVdvSQs
Cool

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Interestingly they seem to be implying that the Moonlight Butterfly at it's full power is as much a Newtype phenomenon as it is something that is simply technological in nature

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't really get the "Actually the constant repetition of horrifying war through the medium of Gundams is a GOOD thing" viewpoint.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really get the "Actually the constant repetition of horrifying war through the medium of Gundams is a GOOD thing" viewpoint.

The implication is that the Turn A doesn't destroy the world - it recycles already-dying ones and heals even the most horrific catastrophes so that humanity can live on and prosper again despite their mistakes. It gives them a chance to break the cycle, as they finally do in the Turn A Gundam TV show. It's a very Buddhist perspective - kind of like the Dark Souls series, where sometimes the kindest thing you can do for the world is to end it so it can start afresh.

This actually fits quite well with the original Turn A Gundam TV show - butterflies aren't just symbols of death in Japanese mythology, but reincarnation.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Oct 5, 2019

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I guess the idea is that as long as the cycle continues they can try again and again to finally break the cycle. That's the optimist take of newtypes.

The cynic in me sees it as an in universe excuse to continue making Gundam shows.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arcsquad12 posted:

I guess the idea is that as long as the cycle continues they can try again and again to finally break the cycle. That's the optimist take of newtypes.

The cynic in me sees it as an in universe excuse to continue making Gundam shows.

Why not both?

Of course it's not like Gundam ever needed an excuse to make Gundam shows besides "We're still making money".

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i did not expect Victory's Haro to be such a badass, the chase sequence in ep24 where he's confusing the patrols is amazing

oh and he nobly commits suicide to save Uso like right after? jesus...Haro is a real one

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Oct 5, 2019

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Pooring a 40 out for the realist Victory character, Haro.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Victory Gundam also gives us one of the most useful screencaps

https://twitter.com/TheOtaking/status/1180195883364896768?s=20

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Pooring a 40 out for the realist Victory character, Haro Duker 'Bikefucker' Iq.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

https://twitter.com/_girltype/status/1179528821512511489

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Bring back Victory Gundam in the next SRW, with Best Haro and recruitable Duker Iq.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bring back Victory Gundam in the next SRW, with Best Haro and recruitable Duker Iq.

Recruitable Duker might be a bit too overpowered. The wonderful thing about him is that he's really not kidding about his motorbike-themed designs being unstoppable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Recruitable Duker might be a bit too overpowered. The wonderful thing about him is that he's really not kidding about his motorbike-themed designs being unstoppable.

I forget. Did Duker Iq and Shogo Yahagi have any discussions of how rad bikes were in SRW D? Because if they didn't, that's a real missed opportunity.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 5, 2019

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

I forget. Did Duker Iq and Shogo Yahagi have any discussions of how rad bikes were in SRW D? Because if they didn't, that's a real missed opportunity.

I don't think they had a conversation, but Duker eventually started using the motorbike mecha from Megazone 21.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

It worked for the Fenice Gundam! And the Fenice Liberta!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I've kinda given up hope of ever seeing the last bit of 0083 Rebellion translated. Anyone able to spoil if it manages to have a more satisfying, or at least less dumb ending than the OVA?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

The last volume of Glory of the Losers comes out next month, and they've just about caught up with the Japanese releases of Thunderbolt, so I really hope they announce a US release of another Gundam manga.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is the thunderbolt manga good?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I really like it. It's funny, if you watch the anime the first season feels like a complete story and the second season feels like they're just making more Thunderbolt. But if you read the manga it becomes clear that the events covered by the first season of the anime are just the prologue. The actual story is about what happens after, about these veterans of the One Year War and how they can't escape it's legacy.

Basically, they really need to hurry up and do a third season of the anime.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The second season felt like a real let down after the first. Does the manga get more interesting?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

I really like it. It's funny, if you watch the anime the first season feels like a complete story and the second season feels like they're just making more Thunderbolt. But if you read the manga it becomes clear that the events covered by the first season of the anime are just the prologue. The actual story is about what happens after, about these veterans of the One Year War and how they can't escape it's legacy.

Basically, they really need to hurry up and do a third season of the anime.

That describes my exact reaction to season1/2 of thunderbolt, and i really do wish i'd waited for s3 to start before watching 2.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DamnGlitch posted:

The second season felt like a real let down after the first. Does the manga get more interesting?

Yeah. It's about how the One Year War broke everything. People, society, the planet. Nothing got out unscathed and no one can just live a normal decent life

LibrarianCroaker posted:

That describes my exact reaction to season1/2 of thunderbolt, and i really do wish i'd waited for s3 to start before watching 2.

If they had done December Sky and then jumped to a regular 26 episode show for the rest, that would've worked way better. Post-December Sky Thunderbolt isn't really a story you can dice into four episode chunks.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Unfortunately, the Thunderbolt manga appears to have cut off at the same time as Bandit Flower due to the artist injuring his hand, although it is set to resume soon.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
It's already resumed with a few months, I think.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So is Gundam Breaker 3 still the go-to one? And how does one obtain a copy for non €70,- prices.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zedd posted:

So is Gundam Breaker 3 still the go-to one? And how does one obtain a copy for non €70,- prices.

Yes to the first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Yeah. It's about how the One Year War broke everything. People, society, the planet. Nothing got out unscathed and no one can just live a normal decent life

If they had done December Sky and then jumped to a regular 26 episode show for the rest, that would've worked way better. Post-December Sky Thunderbolt isn't really a story you can dice into four episode chunks.

hey that sounds really good!

Darth Walrus posted:

Unfortunately, the Thunderbolt manga appears to have cut off at the same time as Bandit Flower due to the artist injuring his hand, although it is set to resume soon.

:( oh...