Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ShutteredIn posted:

They absolutely played this up like it was going to be related to the IG news.

Oh for sure. I'm sore about this being loving nothing, this is such a dumb thing to waste time on.

Retro42 posted:

Did everyone forget the ICIG meeting was later today?

The State Department's IG wanted an emergency meeting thing that was supposed to be happening this morning IIRC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s closed door so don’t expect immediate fireworks.

Don't people in the room usually text their media contacts as the meeting goes on?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1179418901127614464?s=19

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

PRAYERFULLY.

jfc, the :decorum: is stifling.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
pelosi established just now that the dems are still on the high road accomplishing nothing besides covering their own asses while the gop low-roaders are doing whatever they want cuz they don't care. gently caress.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
And its over. No further questions.

What the fuckin' hell lol.

My expectations for this were low and this managed to fail to achieve them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Every day these idiots show up on TV again I am reminded of Al Qaeda's failure.

Thanks Osama.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Every day these idiots show up on TV again I am reminded of Al Qaeda's failure.

Thanks Osama.

huh? bin laden won.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Sure seems like maybe they're in Italy because they're trying to be plausibly as removed as possible from being physically dragged in front of congress or for that matter arrested.

Italy is the birthplace of fascism. It's like going to Mecca for Nazis.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
always refreshing to have a nice splash of cold water to the face after you think, for a second, House leadership might actually be taking control of the narrative

hell yeah reversion to the mean

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

scuz posted:

pelosi established just now that the dems are still on the high road accomplishing nothing besides covering their own asses while the gop low-roaders are doing whatever they want cuz they don't care. gently caress.

when they go low, we go high.

*spends three years getting pummeled in the crotch by GOP low blows*

ah yes...the moral victory

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

they’re still planning to go ahead with subpoenas and whatnot so I’m not sure what all the doom and gloom is about other than pelosi’s usual bullshit

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
"Good morning everyone, we want to reiterate that dogs still cannot play basketball. Thank you. Also, does anyone want to talk about prescription drug prices?!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

goethe.cx posted:

they’re still planning to go ahead with subpoenas and whatnot so I’m not sure what all the doom and gloom is about other than pelosi’s usual bullshit

Because they didn't talk about the bombshells from an ICIG hearing that hasn't happened yet

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ought ten posted:

Funny, a member who’s a pelosi ally said something very similar in private last night, that impeachment has been sad. I guess that’s the talking point

Jokes aside, I'm actually fine with this messaging. It's good that Democrats are making it clear that this isn't a political fight, in part because Republicans would happily impeach the gently caress out of any Democratic president if they thought they could reasonably get away with it. The focus on this being a constitutional fight is good and right. The lack of urgency is not.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

goethe.cx posted:

I thought she was finally on board with impeachment. Now I don't even know. It feels like she sees an official inquiry as a distraction she's being compelled to recognize as somewhat legitimate.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Babby is mad

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179415529074900992?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179418523682168839?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179420554601910272?s=19
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1179418734764711937?s=19 (he pinned this one)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

goethe.cx posted:

because the actual process of impeachment involves starting the investigation with a floor vote that grants a lot more power to the committee in charge and she's refusing to even loving acknowledge that she's aware of that

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

goethe.cx posted:

People itt for some reason expect her to be someone that she hasn't been for decades, to speak to them directly when a lot of what is expressed itt is actually, unfortunately, fairly fringe in US politics.

Makes for great anger and commiseration fodder but pretty lovely commentary.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1179420816603320321

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Groovelord Neato posted:

huh? bin laden won.
If they had tried just a little harder we could have had a very nice memorial garden somewhere in San Francisco and a better House leadership.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

quote:

Another text message exchange introduced at her sentencing occurred just two days before Guyger fatally shot Jean.
On September 4, 2018, a person named Ethridge appeared to playfully offer to give Guyger a German shepherd.
"Although she may be racist," Ethridge wrote.
"I wish I could have one," Guyger responded. "But not in this apartment :( smaller than my old one." She added seconds later, "It's okay, I'm the same."

This rear end in a top hat is toast

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Paradoxish posted:

The lack of urgency is not.

Schiff emphasized urgency is important. He said he wants real progress to happen in weeks, not months.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

goethe.cx posted:

this and schiff did really well and pelosi as decorumy as she was isnt gonna stop it.

he shook.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Jokes aside, I'm actually fine with this messaging. It's good that Democrats are making it clear that this isn't a political fight, in part because Republicans would happily impeach the gently caress out of any Democratic president if they thought they could reasonably get away with it. The focus on this being a constitutional fight is good and right. The lack of urgency is not.

There doesn't seem to be any lack of urgency...? The committees are already scheduling depositions and subpoenaing documents.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
just to be super clear, pelosi's 'we're beginning formal impeachment' meant nothing on its own. Nothing has actually changed, impeachment inquiries require a vote to begin and even though she almost certainly DOES have the votes, she's just pussyfooting around to look like she supports it.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

skylined! posted:

If there are any alums/students floating in this thread, sorry about your lovely swamp school

https://twitter.com/mckaycoppins/status/1179391674423922691

That won't go well.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought she was finally on board with impeachment. Now I don't even know. It feels like she sees an official inquiry as a distraction she's being compelled to recognize as somewhat legitimate.

Coming out and saying that he's definitely guilty and a big criminal before the actual investigation is concluded delegitimizes the process, and the entire dem caucus has been pretty weary of delegitimizing any government process because their counterparts are doing exactly that.

Like, if you listened to her objectively it's pretty obvious what she's trying to do. It's fine to disagree with it but the insistence on just outright misrepresenting her itt is weird.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

Schiff emphasized urgency is important. He said he wants real progress to happen in weeks, not months.

Which, according to a lot of people, is too fast.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

because the actual process of impeachment involves starting the investigation with a floor vote that grants a lot more power to the committee in charge and she's refusing to even loving acknowledge that she's aware of that

I’m not entirely sure that the vote is needed though. The House leadership announced that they are doing an investigation so I think that is all they needed to do.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
If the Democrats keep acting like spineless pussies the Republicans are going to do to this investigation what they did to Mueller. Everytime they appear on TV they need to be openly hammering this administration for it's lawlessness. They need to be voting on impeachment, not doing half-assed investigation while the Republicans keep punching them in the junk.

I wish the Democrats would do to Pelosi what the Republicans did to Boehner. Certainly changed their fortunes.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

you ever read a take so bad it just saps all the energy from your body for a few seconds

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

skylined! posted:

People itt for some reason expect her to be someone that she hasn't been for decades, to speak to them directly when a lot of what is expressed itt is actually, unfortunately, fairly fringe in US politics.

Makes for great anger and commiseration fodder but pretty lovely commentary.

Impeachment is very much mainstream right now, and it's weird as hell that Pelosi is still seemingly opposed to opening up an official inquiry.

I fully expected that vote to happen this week, so the only news from this presser was that it might not even happen at all because she doesn't think its necessary (even though the Republicans don't want it to happen)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

There doesn't seem to be any lack of urgency...? The committees are already scheduling depositions and subpoenaing documents.

Then why are they delaying bringing it to the floor? This is already a talking point that Republicans are using:

quote:

A House Republican and ally of President Trump on Monday criticized Speaker Nancy Pelosi's (D-Calif.) handling of the impeachment inquiry, saying if she were serious about the effort, she would bring it up for a floor vote.

"Formal impeachment would actually afford due process and ensure both sides are heard," tweeted Rep. Doug Collins (R-Ga.), the ranking member of the House Judiciary Committee.
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/463841-gop-rep-pelosi-would-allow-floor-vote-if-this-were-a-true-impeachment-inquiry

And yes, The Hill is trash. It was just the first hit that had the actual quotes in it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Well if the presser was supposed to make Trump tweet more, uh mission accomplished I guess.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Sure would be cool if the Democrats did something incremental, radical, and meaningful, like nationalize insulin production and provide it free of charge to all diabetics.

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

goethe.cx posted:

...pelosi’s usual bullshit

Eh, for me, I let myself get hopeful for the first time in years when all this started breaking last week. Now the happiness has faded and I’m just increasingly angry about everything. I just feel patronized by her, like my anger is silly and we all need to sit down and pat each other on the back about Democrats doing serious work to pass legislation that will be immediately thrown in the bin by the Republicans instead of getting loving upset at all the illegal stuff the president is obviously doing.

I realize this is on me for daring to hope for anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

skylined! posted:

Coming out and saying that he's definitely guilty and a big criminal before the actual investigation is concluded delegitimizes the process, and the entire dem caucus has been pretty weary of delegitimizing any government process because their counterparts are doing exactly that.

Like, if you listened to her objectively it's pretty obvious what she's trying to do. It's fine to disagree with it but the insistence on just outright misrepresenting her itt is weird.

She doesn't have to come out and say "he's definitely guilty and a big criminal", she just has to say "the stuff we have found is real and appears to be illegal, so we're holding a vote and hopefully opening up a formal inquiry so we can uncover the truth" or something to that extent.

Her overwhelming message is that the illegal stuff Trump is doing is not all that important.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Retro42 posted:

I’m not entirely sure that the vote is needed though. The House leadership announced that they are doing an investigation so I think that is all they needed to do.

it is actually literally needed, she needs the formal inquiry to begin to open up a lot of power to the house to get around a lot of these roadblocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

Impeachment is very much mainstream right now, and it's weird as hell that Pelosi is still seemingly opposed to opening up an official inquiry.

I fully expected that vote to happen this week, so the only news from this presser was that it might not even happen at all because she doesn't think its necessary (even though the Republicans don't want it to happen)

She announced on TV last Tuesday that they had opened an official impeachment inquiry though...? She reiterated the seriousness of their inquiry just now, like 10 minutes ago, while roasting trump's actions the way you might expect a septuagenarian lifelong politician to. A vote isn't necessary.

You can continue to ignore reality but don't act like you doing so is worthy of debate.

GlyphGryph posted:

She doesn't have to come out and say "he's definitely guilty and a big criminal", she just has to say "the stuff we have found is real and appears to be illegal, so we're holding a vote and hopefully opening up a formal inquiry so we can uncover the truth" or something to that extent.

Her overwhelming message is that the illegal stuff Trump is doing is not all that important.

Do you not realize that an impeachment inquiry was officially opened a week ago?