Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
You combine it with stuff like Mayhem Devil and Ayara for extra value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Arcturas posted:

That seems like a lot of work for one damage/turn and always having a chump blocker around? Or is there an engine to untap the Witch's Oven?

Isn't there Voltaic Servant or something?

I've also seen the combo used with that fae cursed dragon dude as a card draw engine.

Amumin
Dec 21, 2018

With Syr Konrad it is 3 damage/oven/turn. And then there is likes of Cruel celebrant and Ayara for more draining and Midnight Reaper for cards.

It just works.

Amumin fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 2, 2019

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

GrandpaPants posted:

Isn't there Voltaic Servant or something?

I've also seen the combo used with that fae cursed dragon dude as a card draw engine.

servant rotated, but now we have manifold key.

and Syr Konrad triples the damage from the loop.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
also there's nothing really stopping you from feeding the same cat to a series of ovens you have on the board

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

People have been clamoring for a free sac outlet for years and Witch's Oven is the best one yet

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Tapping is hardly 'free' in that context.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
How many people build decks trying to win at Magic? I just kinda want to play Magic, I'm not even sure my cards will work together that seems like a lot of stress to worry about.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Nolgthorn posted:

How many people build decks trying to win at Magic? I just kinda want to play Magic, I'm not even sure my cards will work together that seems like a lot of stress to worry about.

At my LGS, there are like two or three amongst the 16-20 of us who play standard showdown. I like having a good time, so if I lose it's fine - except when I lose to some broken infinite damage deck on turn 3.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nolgthorn posted:

If you play on MTGA there's a matchmaker to keep your matchups reasonable.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Dunno if you all heard, but non-US judges got a rude awakening when trying to sign up for Judge Academy, as nobody had mentioned the 100/200/400 cost per year was not inclusive of VAT.

I know in the states sales taxes are added at point of sale, but it's incredibly unusual in Europe, and at no time prior have they mentioned "fee+tax" etc

mehall fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Oct 2, 2019

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Yeah if you're serving Europe you gotta include tax in the price, they all pay like 25-30% so it's better to keep that hidden. Definitely don't add it on afterward.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Can't wait to see these decks with cool names get played on coverage and called something like "esper manse" or "mono B familiar" or something equally boring.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

The Collector Booster box says Treat Yourself on the back of the loving thing

I say this as I open one

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Retromancer posted:

Can't wait to see these decks with cool names get played on coverage and called something like "esper manse" or "mono B familiar" or something equally boring.

Whoooooooooo cares

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I know the probably answer but is WOTC doing another Halloween thing again? I loved the Innistrad one with the little candy packs.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1179421949107331074

Might want to dial back the prices a bit.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

fadam posted:

Whoooooooooo cares
People like to have fun and sometimes giving a thing you made a fun name is fun. So the answer to you question is "people who enjoy fun names" with the addendum of "if you don't, shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy things."

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Remember for the price of 16 packs and some lame throw-ins you can get a ps4, a bundled game, and a tv to play it on.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Yawgmoth posted:

shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy things.

Mods please make this the thread title tia

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I get thrown into a waiting queue when I tried to check the price. How much is it?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Around 450 USD I believe. If you're Canadian it's probably near 600.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yawgmoth posted:

People like to have fun and sometimes giving a thing you made a fun name is fun. So the answer to you question is "people who enjoy fun names" with the addendum of "if you don't, shut the gently caress up and let people enjoy things."

I agree with this as long as the deck name is good. It is should be funny or clever, and still explain what the deck is about.

Sample good deck names:
Ghost Dad
Stompy
The Rock and his Millions (before this was just every single BG deck)
Oops All Spells (bonus points for maintaining combo deck breakfast cereal conventions)

Sample bad deck names:
Dirty Kitty
Solidarity
Team America (the Sultai one, AND all the Jeskai ones too, because America is a trash country for idiots)
Four Horsemen (negative bonus points for being literally unplayable in tournaments)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Ghost Dad is one of my favorite decks and deck names

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Dead Dog is a good one

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

My favorite deck names are the ones that seem dumb at first, but when you actually know where they come from they're even dumber. Like Nic Fit.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Dead Dog is a good one

not only do i dislike this deck but i think people really want it to be good purely because of the name so i kind of hate the deck name too

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Signal the Rats is back!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

I agree with this as long as the deck name is good. It is should be funny or clever, and still explain what the deck is about.

Soggy Pickles.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

My nose is bleeding he;lp

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lone Goat posted:

Sample good deck names:
Ghost Dad
Stompy
The Rock and his Millions (before this was just every single BG deck)
Oops All Spells (bonus points for maintaining combo deck breakfast cereal conventions)

Sample bad deck names:
Dirty Kitty
Solidarity
Team America (the Sultai one, AND all the Jeskai ones too, because America is a trash country for idiots)
Four Horsemen (negative bonus points for being literally unplayable in tournaments)
I named my jeskai ascendancy deck The Cuban Magic Crisis and I don't care how dumb and bad it is.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

the worst deck name in existence is Naya Lightsaber, though that may be only because the deck is almost offensively bad

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the worst deck name in existence is Naya Lightsaber, though that may be only because the deck is almost offensively bad

mike flores had zero good deck names

max of one good deck, too

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

wasn't that deck so bad the guy playing it basically had to be cheating?

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Jund adventures is fun & quite strong

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

A Moose posted:

Lightsaber was just positioned to beat the tourney it did iirc

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

PleasantDirge posted:

Lightsaber was just positioned to beat the tourney it did iirc

yeah it was tuned to be a fast naya deck with wild nacatl, and the "lightsaber" part of the name came from how fast your manabase can come together to support those mana requirements. nobody played it outside of the PT that it won.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

A Moose posted:

Could have just gotten lucky.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
the best deck in the format was jund and bloodbraid elf (sometimes off noble hierarch) cascading into celestial purge or great sable stag loving murdered jund so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

ungulateman posted:

the best deck in the format was jund and bloodbraid elf (sometimes off noble hierarch) cascading into celestial purge or great sable stag loving murdered jund so :shrug:

it played nine green onedrops and four first turn green sources, and inexplicably an Oran-Rief, a tapped green source