Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

mango sentinel posted:

I'm gonna say that having a milquetoast speech about reducing drug costs seems less bad when the president responds by saying you're wasting time with BULLSHIT.

Nancy 4d chessmaster confirmed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

sexpig by night posted:

the house judicial committee has to vote on if grounds exist and set the actual allegations to investigate

That’s different than what Republicans, and people who believe them, are calling for which is for 218 Dems to vote on the record to start an “official” inquiry.

ReliableSand
Apr 28, 2008

fivetwentynine.com :smugdon:

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The 2016 election result will be inscribed on his grave.

That's the spot everyone should pee on.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Update: Amber Guyger mom has taken the stand to plead for Amber to not get life

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
If this is the case, that a vote doesn't matter... then that makes her response even worse. Why didn't she just say the inquiry was already opened and it was unneeded?

Why the weird dancing around they might or mightn't, but the Republicans were nervous about them doing so, so maybe maybe not?

I'm not buying into the Republicans framing. For the point of this argument I'm just responding to Pelosi's framing.

If she thinks it would be bad for Republicans, why not do it?

If it's a weak point the Republicans can attack them on, why not do it?

It has the support of then party, it sounds like it would be trivial to win

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s different than what Republicans, and people who believe them, are calling for which is for 218 Dems to vote on the record to start an “official” inquiry.

ok? gently caress them? Pelosi is still speaker and is clearly dragging her feet on even letting this get started in the proper part of the house and that's what I'm bothered by?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Guze posted:

Nancy 4d chessmaster confirmed!

It's not 4D chess to walk out and do things that demonstrate that your opponent's narrative isn't true, it's pretty basic.

I'm not sure it's worth doing in the long run, but it's not crazy mindgames.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Groovelord Neato posted:

huh? bin laden won.

Every so often I ponder if there has ever been a more spectacular or more successful single criminal act in human history. JFK probably is in the ballpark on both counts, Princip didn't achieve his goals by killing Ferdinand, the Holocaust hastened the fall of the 3rd Reich (and was a massive conglomerate of individual criminal acts anyway)...any historians want to take a stab at this?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
News

https://twitter.com/carlquintanilla/status/1179418901127614464

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Update: Amber Guyger mom has taken the stand to plead for Amber to not get life

Too bad. You still get to visit her in prison, Jean's parents do not

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

538 has an impeachment poll tracker now.
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538/status/1179426420449333249

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

sexpig by night posted:

ok? gently caress them? Pelosi is still speaker and is clearly dragging her feet on even letting this get started in the proper part of the house and that's what I'm bothered by?

Specifically, what vote does Nancy need to schedule to please you? Please be clear and explicit.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

the house judicial committee has to vote on if grounds exist and set the actual allegations to investigate

this is not correct at all, they don't have to do anything constitutionally, nor do their rules require they do anything of the sort

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

GlyphGryph posted:

If this is the case, that a vote doesn't matter... then that makes her response even worse. Why didn't she just say the inquiry was already opened and it was unneeded?

Why the weird dancing around they might or mightn't, but the Republicans were nervous about them doing so, so maybe maybe not?

I'm not buying into the Republicans framing. For the point of this argument I'm just responding to Pelosi's framing.

hey, uh

You're fundamentally not understanding something on a really basic level, and you should stop talking like you know what you're talking about.

The inquiry is opened, there is no vote.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
I think I actually agree with Geraldo Rivera on something... which means he probably said it by mistake. Still feels dirty.

(well, more Fox News as a whole, rather than just Hannity, but close enough)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Please give a press conference today.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mdemone posted:

Every so often I ponder if there has ever been a more spectacular or more successful single criminal act in human history. JFK probably is in the ballpark on both counts, Princip didn't achieve his goals by killing Ferdinand, the Holocaust hastened the fall of the 3rd Reich (and was a massive conglomerate of individual criminal acts anyway)...any historians want to take a stab at this?

jfk was one guy but kennedy was getting involved in vietnam so it probably didn't change history all that much. in terms of number of people involved vs outcome 9/11 has gotta be the most successful crime.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/HanksKendyl/status/1179427118888951810

tokyo reject
Jun 12, 2019

when she's tryin to slide into your dm's but you wanna talk about a better america

https://twitter.com/rachaelmbade/status/1179145213559951362?s=21

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

The requirement out of the House is to hold a vote on the articles of impeachment. This is the actual list of charges/etc. When it passes this is what goes to the Senate. This is the only vote required out of the House.

The House has no requirement to vote on opening an inquiry tasked with drafting these articles. Pelosi/Schiff/etc stating an official impeachment inquiry is enough to satisfy the presumed legal requirement that will happen when a subpoena goes to court.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

theflyingorc posted:

hey, uh

You're fundamentally not understanding something on a really basic level, and you should stop talking like you know what you're talking about.

You're not following what I'm saying.

If that is the case (and it is), then why the gently caress did she answer a question about voting to open the impeachment inquiry the way she did?

The only way her answer makes sense is if she believes the inquiry is not officially open.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

twice burned ice posted:

Specifically, what vote does Nancy need to schedule to please you? Please be clear and explicit.

The house judicial committee, before the full 218 floor vote is required, has to vote with a simple majority to determine if there are grounds for impeachment and to lay out the actual charges, this allows the house to debate and bring testimony and poo poo for the full vote whenever the gently caress they want, there's no magic timer that starts or anything, they can lay out Trump's exact crimes and have official weight to these hearings without taking the final vote.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Please give a press conference today.

he's meeting some prime minister, so there will be

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

twice burned ice posted:

a vote to start the inquiry would be pretty cool, there's clearly enough support for it in the house and i think that when push comes to shove they'll get more votes than they're counting on

efb (and nobody was even asking me :ughh: )

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

GlyphGryph posted:

If that is the case, then why the gently caress did she answer a question about voting to open the impeachment inquiry the way she did?

The only way her answer makes sense is if she believes the inquiry is not officially open.

To repeat the reference that was made two pages ago, she got asked if she stopped beating her wife and her answer was "maybe we will".

No friend, Nancy does not believe that the impeachment isn't open, no matter what crazy narrative you've built in your head.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

hey, uh

like the only reason i could imagine a vote being necessary is if a federal judge buys the argument that "Even though the Constitution doesn't require it, their rules don't require it, more than 218 democrats support the inquiry, the Speaker of the House announced the inquiry, and every subpoena references the inquiry, it's not a real inquiry"

in which case yeah uh go ahead and have the vote, but personally i see no reason to concede the argument that sexpig and a handful of republicans are making that they must do it and don't have the authority without doing it

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

GlyphGryph posted:

GlyphGryph posted:

If that is the case, then why the gently caress did she answer a question about voting to open the impeachment inquiry the way she did?

To repeat the reference that was made two pages ago, she got asked if she stopped beating her wife and her answer was "maybe we will".

You are quite literally lost in your weird train of logic.

She was asked if there were plans to hold a vote to open the impeachment inquiry. She said no, that it was not necessary to hold a vote to open the inquiry, and by the way some republicans would be very nervous for them to hold the vote. It was a dig.

gently caress dude, dig up.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

scuz posted:

a vote to start the inquiry would be pretty cool, there's clearly enough support for it in the house and i think that when push comes to shove they'll get more votes than they're counting on
This isn't a thing

You're literally spouting Republican talking points!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sexpig by night posted:

The house judicial committee, before the full 218 floor vote is required, has to vote with a simple majority to determine if there are grounds for impeachment and to lay out the actual charges, this allows the house to debate and bring testimony and poo poo for the full vote whenever the gently caress they want, there's no magic timer that starts or anything, they can lay out Trump's exact crimes and have official weight to these hearings without taking the final vote.

Wrong.

The only vote that is required is the vote on the Articles of Impeachment, which, once any one of the articles passes, starts the Senate trial portion of the hearing. The GOP are trying to say it's "required" because a vote like this happened for Clinton and Nixon. It did not happen for Johnson, because it's not required anywhere.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i assume thats later today?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

skylined! posted:

She was asked if there were plans to hold a vote to open the impeachment inquiry. She said no, that it was not necessary to hold a vote to open the inquiry, and by the way some republicans would be very nervous for them to hold the vote. It was a dig.

Maybe the problem is just that I misheard what she said because this is not what I heard her say.

If this is all just me mishearing a statement she made, then I hosed up. But what I hear was her leaving the option open, and saying the Republicans were nervous about her doing it. I did not hear her say it wasn't necessary.

theflyingorc posted:

This isn't a thing

Did she say it was unnecessary? If not, why not? If so, apologies for this whole stupid derail.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

Trump is going to tweet out the n-word.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

goethe.cx posted:

That's how he's gonna win back the Gamers after banning vapes

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

GlyphGryph posted:

Maybe the problem is just that I misheard what she said because this is not what I heard her say.

If this is all just me mishearing a statement she made, then I hosed up. But what I hear was her leaving the option open, and saying the Republicans were nervous about her doing it. I did not hear her say it wasn't necessary.

By saying, last week "we are officially opening an inquiry", she was saying that it wasn't necessary!

No part of your narrative makes even a passing resemblance to sense!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

goethe.cx posted:

https://twitter.com/prettybinladen/status/1178051570841223169

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Grandpa needs a nap his dementia is acting up and he’s yelling curse words in public again

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

By saying, last week "we are officially opening an inquiry", she was saying that it wasn't necessary!

No part of your narrative makes even a passing resemblance to sense!

Okay, now I'm just confused. Is the problem that neither of you actually watched the presser?

Because this conversation is fundamentally about the press event. About the things she said and did during that. Not about what she said last week.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/RonWyden/status/1179412860969082885

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

theflyingorc posted:

This isn't a thing

The only solution here is to take a vote about whether we should take a vote to open the inquiry.