Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
House of the Dead Overkill is loving awesome on the Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

tango alpha delta posted:

that's only unpopular because nobody played it, everyone who tried it knows that it kicks rear end

the wii also had a really fun dead space shooter

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Overkill also came with giant magnum revolver Wiimote gun grips

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

gently caress yes. Amazing game, remember the hosed up ending? Lol

Also would love to play some typing of the dead.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The best most underrated Wii Light gun game was Dead Space Extraction.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

I wish Kojima didnt have such a huge platform to be up his own rear end in. I love Metal Gear but everything about Death Stranding makes my loving eyes roll

That other guy from Walking Dead is going to give birth to Mikael Persbrandt and then there's some slendermans or something IDK. What's not to love?

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

every game is such a sanded off pile of flaccid dicks just let Kojima do what ever he wants and give us a rock hard throbbing failure

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The best most underrated Wii Light gun game was Dead Space Extraction.

Wii didn't have any light gun games. Or any sort of light gun peripheral.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Caesar Saladin posted:

every game is such a sanded off pile of flaccid dicks just let Kojima do what ever he wants and give us a rock hard throbbing failure

People don't even realise that when you take the name off Metal Gear you get weird bloated silliness crafted with love and obsessive attention to detail

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

karma_coma posted:

gently caress yes. Amazing game, remember the hosed up ending? Lol

Also would love to play some typing of the dead.

Well, did you know this is on Steam?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/246580/The_Typing_of_The_Dead_Overkill/

HJE-Cobra fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Oct 2, 2019

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

StabMasterArson posted:

I wish Kojima didnt have such a huge platform to be up his own rear end in. I love Metal Gear but everything about Death Stranding makes my loving eyes roll

I for one am very excited to watch Kojima's Bionic Woman fanfic baby movie

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

in msg2 you can get pissed on and now with the newest technology the player character can actually piss

Playing MGS2 when I was 12 was some seriously intense poo poo, I didn't really care much about Snake so letting the whole story unfold wasn't disappointing and was just crazy and cool, furthermore I loved katanas and ninjas

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

veni veni veni posted:

It is absolutely beyond me how anyone thinks rainbow six siege is enjoyable.

Playing as the attackers is fun. Shame about that only being half the game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

veni veni veni posted:

It is absolutely beyond me how anyone thinks rainbow six siege is enjoyable.

Yeah I dont get it. It was cool to run around as that sledgehammer guy for an hour or 2 but its too complicated to play a match every 2 months like i do with counterstrike and too serious to jump in occasionally like Overwatch.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

It's loving delicious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHHmqYrRvW8

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

Wii didn't have any light gun games. Or any sort of light gun peripheral.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_gun

quote:

A light gun is a pointing device for computers and a control device for arcade and video games

quote:

The "light gun" is named because it uses light as its method of detecting where on screen the user is targeting. The name leads one to believe that the gun itself emits a beam of light, but in fact most light guns actually receive light through a photodiode in the gun barrel.

quote:

The Wii Remote communicates with the Sensor Bar by infrared, providing pointing functionality over a distance of up to five meters (16 ft) from Wii Remote to Sensor Bar.
:eng101:
all wii games are light-gun games

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Oct 2, 2019

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rutibex posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_gun

:eng101:
all wii games are light-gun games

Prepare for a long, boring rant about how they aren't

not from me, I'm just warning you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's not a light gun if you're not aiming where you're aiming. (Maybe you can actually aim where you aim with a Wii on some setups, like a really tiny TV set? IDK I've never tried it with a really tiny TV set because that would suck otherwise.)

e: Just read the Wikipedia quote post. It literally can't detect where you're aiming so it's not a lightgun controller even by the Wikipedia definition(s).

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
The FF7 remake will not be be a bad game but its a remake so its instantly bad anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jerry Cotton posted:

It's not a light gun if you're not aiming where you're aiming. (Maybe you can actually aim where you aim with a Wii on some setups, like a really tiny TV set? IDK I've never tried it with a really tiny TV set because that would suck otherwise.)

e: Just read the Wikipedia quote post. It literally can't detect where you're aiming so it's not a lightgun controller even by the Wikipedia definition(s).

i just occurred to me that Nintendo could have made the Wii back in the 1980s by strapping a laser pointer onto a zapper gun

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I always thought it was funny that you could use a pair of candles as a Wii sensor bar

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rutibex posted:

i just occurred to me that Nintendo could have made the Wii back in the 1980s by strapping a laser pointer onto a zapper gun

UHH! Laser pointer zapper gun :dance:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Prepare for a long, boring rant about how they aren't

not from me, I'm just warning you

If the Menacer and Super Scope 6 were light guns, then so’s the Wiimote.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

TontoCorazon posted:

Seriously, I feel like the gameplay and controls might be fun but I'm gonna be confused a majority of the whole game.

MGSV was the first Metal Gear game I ever played and I had no idea what was happening so I looked up some stuff on the Wiki to try and catch up and that didn't help at all!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dewgy posted:

The Super Scope was/is a bazooka not a gun.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hobo Clown posted:

MGSV was the first Metal Gear game I ever played and I had no idea what was happening so I looked up some stuff on the Wiki to try and catch up and that didn't help at all!

MGSIV had a separate encyclopedia you could download that contained the whole timeline of the series plus entries for important historical events in regards to the game like the start of the Vietnam War. One nifty thing was that it had a bunch of redacted entries and as you progressed through the story they would become readable.
They really should have med something similar for the fifth one.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Dewgy posted:

The wiimote isn't dependent on CRT scanlines

e: also Super Scope 6 was the name of the game that came with the Super Scope peripheral
:goonsay:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Duck and Cover posted:

The Super Scope was/is a bazooka not a gun.

the super scope was the biggest scam. the zapper plugged into the system but this bullshit needs a ton of batteries? why nintendo, why?

people say the Virtual Boy was nintendos biggest failure, i say it was the super scope. at least the virtual boy had a decent wario game

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think Nintendo's biggest failure was the 64DD :(

I want my F-Zero X track editor, damnit :cry:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

Same actually, I just started MGSV too and I kinda know the broad strokes of that universe but man am I so confused,

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The super scope sucked as a functional peripheral, the worst thing about it was that the buttons on it had no travel at all, the zapper had a satisfying clicky trigger, the scope had a crappy red button on top. It almost feels like something that wasn't made by Nintendo.

Super Scope 6 the game owned though, it was fun and would have been better if you didn't have to worry about the stupid scope itself

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve played every single MGS game the day it came out, and I’ve never really had any idea what the gently caress is going on.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Jerry Cotton posted:

That other guy from Walking Dead is going to give birth to Mikael Persbrandt and then there's some slendermans or something IDK. What's not to love?

(it looks very very boring)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the Koj but he is an absolutely horrible story teller. His whole shtick is making a ton of interesting lore, but not knowing how to piece it together in any coherent way, so all of his games are full of TMI, retcons, gotchas and borderline nonsense. He’s also pretty dang corny.

On the other hand He’s very good at making games that are fun and full of little details that most games wouldn’t bother with, as well as interesting concepts and mysteries. They also always look slick as hell. His games are goddam ridiculous but never not worth looking forward to.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't like his games except the first 2 MGS but I still think the industry needs weirdos like him

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TontoCorazon posted:

Same actually, I just started MGSV too and I kinda know the broad strokes of that universe but man am I so confused,

Did you at least play Ground Zeroes? That's actually where the story starts out this time.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Lodin posted:

Did you at least play Ground Zeroes? That's actually where the story starts out this time.

Yes

veni veni veni posted:

I love the Koj but he is an absolutely horrible story teller. His whole shtick is making a ton of interesting lore, but not knowing how to piece it together in any coherent way, so all of his games are full of TMI, retcons, gotchas and borderline nonsense. He’s also pretty dang corny.

On the other hand He’s very good at making games that are fun and full of little details that most games wouldn’t bother with, as well as interesting concepts and mysteries. They also always look slick as hell. His games are goddam ridiculous but never not worth looking forward to.

Exactly what I'm talking about, you know the gameplay and the world is going to be great but holy poo poo let one important character get some screen time and buckle up, you're going for a ride.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

(it looks very very boring)

Buh-buh-buh-but Shampooless Dude from the zomby series is in it and a Swede who smokes cocaine :qq: Can't wait to play it when it's game of the month on PS+ next Spring.

e: Oh sorry I already made that joke basically. Moving on.

ee: The Witness would be great if the rules were explained better. Especially the switch propeller thingy and different coloured dots (I thought it was like a sailing thing because that worked until it didn't). I get that "let the player learn themself" is a great idea but the guy who made this game sucked at it, basically.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 2, 2019

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

TontoCorazon posted:

The whole hospital level that starts the game off is intentionally confusing, you'll be made to play the tutorial level again later on and it'll go on for ages again but you'll more or less have a handle on what's going on at least.

It's a pretty good game to jump in on really, because a lot of the characters only appear in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I bought a PSTV, a PS3, and a PS4 when Metal Gear Solid V The Phantom Pain came out because I wanted to play the entire story back-to-back to understand poo poo. (MG, MG2SS, MGS, MGS2, MGS3, MGSPO, MGSPW, MGS4, MGS5GZ, and MGS5TPP. Tried the MGRR demo but it was poo poo so I skipped it.)

I still kind of don't regret it but also there was just so much stuff that all the plotlines and -holes kind of melded together by MGS2.

Anyway every game should have a Hand of Jehuty, regardless of genre.