Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Nancy Pelosi. Her politicking is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of political theory most of her maneuvers will go right above a typical peon's head.

still not quite past the worshipful slobbering over her genius in refusing Trump's ploys to have her start impeaching him two weeks ago, and the INSTANT transition to "well now that she's decided to do it it's good actually"

you'd expect at least some of the characters in question to still think an impeachment investigation was a bad idea, if their stance had ever been based on more than slavish devotion to the hierarchy.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Robot Hobo posted:

I think I actually agree with Geraldo Rivera on something... which means he probably said it by mistake. Still feels dirty.

(well, more Fox News as a whole, rather than just Hannity, but close enough)

Well, context indicates that Geraldo meant that Nixon wouldn't have covered up all those crimes if he'd just had a big, tough Sean Hannity to protect him from all those scary Dems. So outside of context, he's making an absolutely correct point. Inside of context, he's just being his normal terrible self.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The weirdest part of this moment in history, things announced as A BIG DEAL are often nothing, and things that are supposed to be not a big deal EXPLODE.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/AdamSerwer/status/1179436036155416579

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Angry_Ed posted:

Never meant to make the clerks complain
My court filings I will not abstain
I'm sorry, Judge Jackson

:golfclap:

Well done.

And the part that annoys me about Pelosi's shenanigans is that I get why she's doing them, but in the current climate/situation she's just choosing the song for the band to play on the Titanic.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
The :stare: face on the guy next to Trump while he goes off on an unhinged rant.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Everything Pelosi does makes perfect sense as the actions of a geriatric millionaire politician who absolutely does not want to set a precedent that geriatric millionaire politicians can be held accountable.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

sexpig by night posted:

it is actually literally needed, she needs the formal inquiry to begin to open up a lot of power to the house to get around a lot of these roadblocks

You have a link that confirms a vote is needed for that though? Everything I've read is that the speaker needed to announce they were starting an impeachment inquiry and she's already done that, it's in process now. No vote is necessary until the actual vote to impeach.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

RandomBlue posted:

You have a link that confirms a vote is needed for that though? Everything I've read is that the speaker needed to announce they were starting an impeachment inquiry and she's already done that, it's in process now. No vote is necessary until the actual vote to impeach.
They're already using "this is a formal inquiry" in arguments, you're correct

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Christians SHOULD be lining up to denounce the POTUS swearing

But :lol:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why would the house need to hold two votes on the matter of impeachment?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
oh my goodness, he's screaming at the press:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSVoWdefAI4

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Christians SHOULD be lining up to denounce the POTUS swearing

But :lol:

They got mad that one time a month ago when he said 'goddam' though :ohdear:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Push El Burrito posted:

Joey is a good boy I don't care what his twitter name is!

hes doing a photo in front of a Charles Koch banner

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

The :stare: face on the guy next to Trump while he goes off on an unhinged rant.

I’m cleaning house so all I can hear is him in the background and the sheer unfiltered desperation in his voice is amazing.

He sounds exactly like one of my kids about to get called out for doing something stupid.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/ZackFinkNews/status/1179211016992890880

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

The thumbnail (at the time, it was for the Sikh deputy who got killed last week) made me think he's at that memorial service and screaming at the press.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 2, 2019

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/CarmineSabia/status/1179423420385239041

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/pattymo/status/1179438384898543616

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

OAquinas posted:

:golfclap:

Well done.

And the part that annoys me about Pelosi's shenanigans is that I get why she's doing them, but in the current climate/situation she's just choosing the song for the band to play on the Titanic.

She's still stuck in that pre-Trump lovely Democrat mode of "We have to do X, otherwise the Republicans will accuse us of Y!" despite the fact that for years now Republicans have been accusing Democrats of doing Y and far worse than Y continuously without regard for what the Democrats are actually doing.

She never thinks about how the Democratic base will react if she does/doesn't do something, ONLY what lovely centrists, independents, and Republicans will think. It's a special kind of brain rot in the Democratic establishment which is why primarying all of the motherfuckers in Dem leadership should be a priority.

Please clap donate to McKayla Wilkes: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/-mckaylaforcongress-1

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Skin piercing spikes

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

theflyingorc posted:

lol he's super mad. Also, *sniff* lotta *sniffing* sniffing.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Spoiler alert

He did ask about it

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lmao

"Nixon would have been honest and true about the Watergate break-in (that he ordered) if only someone stuck up for him!" :shepface:

Does the sentient mustache actually believe this?

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 2, 2019

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I hate this man with every fiber of my being.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hahahah he claimed once again to have come up with "fake news". but now it's going to be "corrupt news".

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

New Yorkers loving rule, this is grand.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

hahahah he claimed once again to have come up with "fake news". but now it's going to be "corrupt news".

Next it'll be "drain the news"

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
"Go write your phony stories, go write your poo poo" as the feed cuts.

My goodness.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'll take it if I never have to hear "fake news" ever again

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Nancy Pelosi. Her politicking is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of political theory most of her maneuvers will go right above a typical peon's head.

I mean shes been in politics forever, so it's actually quite possibly she is doing a lot of behind the scenes extremely subtle politicking, that people who haven't spent decades in beltway politics wouldn't get at all, wouldn't mean it all it couldn't all be spineless crap extremely subtle politicking, working towards a spineless crap outcome.

Being able to make something well and actually making something well are two very different things.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'll take it if I never have to hear "fake news" ever again

I'm still really angry about him stealing that because he ruined an extremely useful term.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Mahoning posted:

She's still stuck in that pre-Trump lovely Democrat mode of "We have to do X, otherwise the Republicans will accuse us of Y!" despite the fact that for years now Republicans have been accusing Democrats of doing Y and far worse than Y continuously without regard for what the Democrats are actually doing.

She never thinks about how the Democratic base will react if she does/doesn't do something, ONLY what lovely centrists, independents, and Republicans will think. It's a special kind of brain rot in the Democratic establishment which is why primarying all of the motherfuckers in Dem leadership should be a priority.

Please clap donate to McKayla Wilkes: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/-mckaylaforcongress-1

my favorite example of this is when Pelosi unconditionally surrendered on concentration camp funding, in the name of stopping Republicans from blaming them for the conditions at the camps

and the republicans immediately, the same loving day, proceeded to blame democrats for the conditions at the camps.

hooray for our Bailey-haunted geriatrics.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

My goodness.

He’s really ramped up the public profanity lately. My n-word prediction remains strong

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

My goodness.

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1179230489883877381

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

All of my friends are calm too, just offscreen.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

The potus can throw tantrums like a toddler, that's why I love him. He's just like me

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

"Some would say he's the most calm person to ever have lived"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The thing about this vote/no-vote confusion is that the whole thing is a game of Congressional Calvinball. The Constitution doesn't lay out any such thing as an "impeachment inquiry", nor is any such thing required to impeach. As far as I can tell, there's no special legal meaning or conditions attached to the phrase "impeachment inquiry"...with the flip side being that there aren't any special powers or significance attached to it either.

Without a vote, an "impeachment inquiry" is basically just a statement of intent. With a vote, however, it can be something more. For example, the Nixon impeachment inquiry was created by a full floor vote of the entire House. This wasn't necessary to have something called an "impeachment inquiry", but the House resolution that created the impeachment inquiry also explicitly granted that inquiry the authority and funding to do whatever it deemed necessary to investigate Nixon. Moreover, passing a full floor vote showed that the House was overwhelmingly supportive of the inquiry. Those two factors made the Nixon inquiry a fair bit more powerful than the Trump inquiry currently is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/HowardMortman/status/1179439900996902914