Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I know Usagi is a japanese word for rabbit, and I knew that a lot of Asian folklore interprets the patterns on the surface of the moon as a rabbit, but I never put the two together with Sailor Moon’s name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Dr Christmas posted:

I know Usagi is a japanese word for rabbit, and I knew that a lot of Asian folklore interprets the patterns on the surface of the moon as a rabbit, but I never put the two together with Sailor Moon’s name.

Boy wait until you hear about the others and how Japan names the planets/weekdays

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Fruition -> fruit. As in the bearing of. Results.

Well, gently caress.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well, gently caress.

So... tuition -> toot? Makes sense!

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Tutelage, but close

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

FreeMars posted:

Tutelage, but close

I stand behind my toot TYVM.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

I usually walk a few steps away and try to blame someone else

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well, gently caress.

Not actually, the term originally meant "act of enjoying" and it came from the Late Latin fruitionem "to enjoy", so the phrase "to come to fruition" used to mean "to finally be able to enjoy something". Apparently the modern meaning "to bear fruit" came about a few centuries later because it just felt like a better fit in hindsight.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/fruition

Edit: "fruit" and "fruition" both came from the same Latin stem frui "to use, enjoy", but they got there by different paths.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/fruit

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

YEPOS

Cosmic Thing
Sep 24, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I now know what a funko pop is. I am not sure my life has gotten better for this knowledge. I do feel a little nerdier...

Vulgar
Aug 17, 2003

I am the man of la Mancha… my dream is impossible!

Jerry Cotton posted:

Getting high on your own supply, I dig it

Jerry Cotton posted:

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

Kiwi birds are the size of chickens. I always thought they were like, the size of a coffee mug.

I guess cartoons made me think they were tiny and I just never realized the scale when I saw a photo of one.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

"Kiwi birds" are all animatronic robots and no one has yet successfully convinced me otherwise. Oh, did you see one at the zoo? Peep into a dark habitat, maybe saw something move? Mmm-hmm. Sure, people pick them up--you can pick up robots, sheesh. :rolleyes:

(This is a running thing in our house, one of the lies I tell my son just to gently caress with him. He doesn't believe it...but I kind of do.)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Friend posted:

Kiwi birds are the size of chickens. I always thought they were like, the size of a coffee mug.

I guess cartoons made me think they were tiny and I just never realized the scale when I saw a photo of one.

I had always thought that too, until I saw one IRL. Opposite was ringtail lemurs. They're quite a bit smaller than I always assumed.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

"Kiwi birds" are all animatronic robots and no one has yet successfully convinced me otherwise. Oh, did you see one at the zoo? Peep into a dark habitat, maybe saw something move? Mmm-hmm. Sure, people pick them up--you can pick up robots, sheesh. :rolleyes:

(This is a running thing in our house, one of the lies I tell my son just to gently caress with him. He doesn't believe it...but I kind of do.)
You're so close to the truth here...
It isn't just kiwis.

Birds aren't real.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Tunicate posted:

You're so close to the truth here...
It isn't just kiwis.

Birds aren't real.

If You Love Bird You Have Nano Chip In Your Brain

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Birdwatching goes both ways.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I assume this is what the british version of r/redpill sounds like

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Friend posted:

I think I had always just assumed they were the size of kiwi fruit.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think I had always just assumed they were the size of kiwi fruit.

Those are just the eggs

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

christmas boots posted:

Those are just the eggs

I know you're making a joke - but Kiwi eggs are about half the size of the kiwi - so quite larger than the fruit.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I used to think "gumshoe" was a term for a rookie or inept detective, because they were so unobservant they didn't realise they were always stepping in chewing gum. I found out recently it just means any detective, and comes from them wearing rubber-soled shoes.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah it’s a rough life I chose, a clothpants in a bad part of the city. The kind of place where everybody shuts up when an old clothpants walks through the door. The kind of place that is haunted by ghosts of many a clothpants before. We’re drawn to places like this as a worm is to the concrete in the rain. The patrons like to watch the monthlong plunge of the next clothpants as they mumblingly disapprove. You can’t see the sun in here and after twelve years as a clothpants it’s implausible that I would recognize it. I chose this life.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*ad for clown college on police academy notice board* Forget gumshoe, wear funshoe.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SLOSifl posted:

Yeah it’s a rough life I chose, a clothpants in a bad part of the city. The kind of place where everybody shuts up when an old clothpants walks through the door. The kind of place that is haunted by ghosts of many a clothpants before. We’re drawn to places like this as a worm is to the concrete in the rain. The patrons like to watch the monthlong plunge of the next clothpants as they mumblingly disapprove. You can’t see the sun in here and after twelve years as a clothpants it’s implausible that I would recognize it. I chose this life.

leather soles were the norm when "gumshoe" became a word

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

I used to think "gumshoe" was a term for a rookie or inept detective, because they were so unobservant they didn't realise they were always stepping in chewing gum. I found out recently it just means any detective, and comes from them wearing rubber-soled shoes.

I guess I just learned something, cool.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
Nicki Minaj, like menage a trois

loving duh, I am a dolt that had to be told this today

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hugh Malone posted:

"Later, Fendi, CEO of Brooklyn label Dirty Money Entertainment, signed Minaj to his label in 2007 under a 180-day contract. Originally adopting the stage name Nicki Maraj, she eventually changed it to Nicki Minaj stating that "my real name is Maraj. Fendi flipped it when he met me because I had such a nasty flow!""

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Turtlicious posted:

"Later, Fendi, CEO of Brooklyn label Dirty Money Entertainment, signed Minaj to his label in 2007 under a 180-day contract. Originally adopting the stage name Nicki Maraj, she eventually changed it to Nicki Minaj stating that "my real name is Maraj. Fendi flipped it when he met me because I had such a nasty flow!""

?? ???

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hugh Malone posted:

I thought Cardi B’s name was a play on Cartier (Cardi A turns to Cardi B because it’s fashionable to be a blood nowadays). Turns out it’s because she likes Bacardi or something like that.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ruddiger posted:

I thought Cardi B’s name was a play on Cartier (Cardi A turns to Cardi B because it’s fashionable to be a blood nowadays). Turns out it’s because she likes Bacardi or something like that.

Literally her stripper name (Bacardi), rearranged, if I'm not mistaken.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerry Cotton posted:

*ad for clown college on police academy notice board* Forget gumshoe, wear funshoe.

I appreciated this joke.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

It obviously stands for Cardigan Backyardigan idiots

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's not Minaj like ménage à trois, it's just a flip on her real name, miraj.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i was thinking a flipped maraj would be jaram lol

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
The opposite of Weird Al is... NormAl.

Sorry for the whitest possible addition to the current discussion.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not just white. Nerdy too.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Weird Al is someone I enjoy even though by all rights I should find him unbelievably lame.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
He's a good and cool guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
"Weirdal" should absolutely be a word.